Can walk but not stand

Slightly Goofy

Mouseketeer
I have a strange problem. I have pulmonary disease and I can walk. within limits. but cannot stand still for long periods without support. I bypass some rides because I am not sure what I will be faced with when I enter (long, winding lines). I wish there was some way I could mark my place in line and sit somewhere until my turn comes. Is there anything like that?

Also, I have balance problems and would appreciate knowing which rides have unpleasant surprises in store for me (dips, heights etc.) This is my first post in this forum and would appreciate any help I can get.

I am not as bad off as some and while I have a parking permit I only use it on my 'bad days' and try to take the places a bit further away when I can. I am a large, well looking lady and it causes me much embarrassment sometimes when I am not feeling well and I need to ask for special help.

Linda

Glad to see you here, Slightly Goofy.
You can get a Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park at Guest Services. It does give some basic info about each ride (not a whole lot of info, but it's a start) that will tell you if there is for example, a short flume (Pirates of Caribbean). Good sources of information are also the CMs at the entrance to the rides and the CMs at the status boards (those places in the front of each park that update how long a wait there is for each ride).
When you go to Guest Services to pick up your guidebooks, explain your problem with standing to them and ask what suggestions they have. Ask where you would be able to sit to wait where the lihnes are slow moving (especially shows).For most rides, the lines keep moving once you are in them, so you won't be standing still for very long. The ones that don't move are usually for shows or similar things that load a large bunch of people at once. A lot of those do have some benches inside for the time where you are waiting. At Epcot, I remember benches inside Living Seas, the movies in Canada and China, Ellen's Energy Adventure, American Adventure, the movie in France. At MGM I know you will find benches at the Muppets. I'm sure there are others and if there aren't, a lot of the show don't totally fill up, so you should be able to sit and wait outside the door and go in at the last minute.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

You should also get a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) from Guest Services - tell them your problem, and they will probably allow you to use the alternate entrances. Most of those have a bench - most but not all.

Feel free to ask questions!

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

When I was still ambulatory but could not stand for long periods I had a cane that converted to a seat. I don't remember where I got it. I think it was from a sporting goods store. It was very light weight. Something like this might help you out. But I think a Guest Assistence Pass would be your best bet.
Have a great trip.

Nanajo DVC 8/98

Offsite 5/78
Contemp 11/85
BWV 3/99
OKW 11/99
BWV 3/01
OKW 11/01

Sue, Teri and Nana, you are fonts of information. I wrote down all the bench sites that Sue listed. I will take it with me on our next trip and try to add to it with my own experiences. Teri, I will check out the GAC. I do not want to bump into line or anything, just need a seat while I wait. I have seen the canes that turn into chairs but unfortunately my seat is far too big to fit that kind of seat, Nana.

Our spring trip is on hold for now as a dear friend has just been put on hospice care and while Disney is great she is far more important. We might have to make it two weeks this fall instead of one week this spring and the other in the fall. We have never stayed longer than 8 nites before but I bet we can find things to do. LOL

Maybe I can meet some of the wonderful people from this forum on one of our trips. I find meeting people to be one of the best parts of traveling. I love new people and new ideas. Thank you for your input. Don't know what I might know that would benefit you but am willing to help, if I can. We have been to DW many times and also Myrtle Beach.

Thank you again, Linda

Please don't think that using the GAC to get to alternate waiting or boarding areas is a 'bump in' to the line... remember that you are paying the same as everyone else at the park, that it will take you longer time and more physical energy to move from one attraction to another, and you will most likely not stay at the parks as long as average guests. You will also spend more time resting and refershing in between. Perhaps other people arrive at the line ahead of you, but you have every right to enjoy the attractions at your pace. Disney has this program in place to help you get the most enjoyment possible from your visit to the park, it isn't something for you to feel embarrassed or self-conscious about, when you really need it. It is not the same as a front-of-line pass, and there will be times when you may wait longer than people in the regular queue. :)

galc.gif

teri@iluvdisney.co

Dear Terri

I had never thought of it quite that way. We always spend several days so we are not rushed. It is the best way IMHO. I remember the first time we went years ago and the rush to 'get our money's worth' and the disappointment, hurry and tiredness it caused. We are so lucky to have been so many times that the pressure to do it all is off. If we go by an attraction and it is busy we just go on by hunting for the places that others have overlooked, for the moment. We feel that part of the cost of the ticket includes the beautiful flowers and wonderful, magic touches outside the rides and shows.

What exactly is the GAC? Is it different acccording to your disability? While I am disabled I am aware that others are more so and I try not to take the closest spaces and such or even use the facilities except on my 'bad days'. Don't want the man upstairs to look down and go 'zap', now you are really and truly 'qualified'. LOL

I enjoy all the info on here so much. I read it almost everyday even though a trip might not be planned for months. I had a terrible nightmare the other night that while I had packed perfectly and had the car all tuned up and all I arrived at DW to find that I had forgotten to get our AP's out of the safety deposit box! Agony!!! Thanks for all the help.

Linda

The GAC all look the same, but are stamped with a differnt message depending on what sort of assistance you need. Some people need a shaded spot out of the sun to wait. Some need a place where they can sit down. The CM at Guest Services listens to what problems you say you have with the lines and gives you an appropriate stamp.
Like teri said, it won't shorten your wait and you may even wait longer for some rides. But you will wait in an area that is more suited to your needs. o

SueM in MN

Linda, I forgot our tickets when I took the kids last June... :rolleyes: ;) :D

galc.gif

teri@iluvdisney.com

Dear Teri

I have to know - How did your real nightmare turn out? In mine, I had the receipts for our AP's and still could not convince them I should be let in. I hope it worked out alright for you. What a quandry.

Dear Sue

I cannot believe I have been so many times and yet there are so many things I did not know about. I have only been disabled the last 10 years or so but have thought over and over again how nice it would be to have a system where people could sit and wait their turn in line. Thank you so much for explaining it all to me. I would not feel quilty about asking for that kind of help since it would not bump anyone else out of their place. I see a disturbing trend at Disney to charge extra for seating for certain events i.e. Christmas Processional etc. We bought the CP package when we were there last December and were horrified to see the lines for us to stand in when we had paid a premium to avoid such a situation. I do not believe we would do that again. Now the Fantasmic pkg is not bad if you are planning on eating dinner anyway and it sure beats sitting for two hours waiting for the show. Heard about a new park in Fl that charges hundreds a day but they only allow a limited amount of people in. They are pricing me out of the market. I love DW even though I do see small cracks in the service that you would never have seen before. It is still better than the rest.

Linda

If you have APs, I believe they will look it up and give you temp passes... I may be wrong. Don't take a chance, pack them today!! :) We had hopper passes with days left over from a family reunion trip the year before, but left them home. We ended up buying APs on the spot, and using one of the leftover hoppers toward my DH's AP later in the year. We will probably do the same with the other hoppers this year.

galc.gif

teri@iluvdisney.com

We bought AP's this year as this is our first year of retirement. I do keep our Park Passes from another trip that has a couple of days left in my wallet. We travel a lot and you never know when we might end up in the Orlando area with a couple of days for Disney.

I guess the price of the AP's made me believe they needed to be put in the safety deposit box though. Not really too big a problem as we live in a tiny town and the bank is right behind our home.

I am so excited about the GAC as there are shows and rides I have not been able to get on for several years and it will mean so much. I should have known that Disney had already thought of the solution. I was just reticent because I did not want to get bumped ahead of anyone else.

I should find someone in a wheelchair for me to push around as I do much better pushing a wheelchair or stroller than i do just walking around by myself. When we go on senior trips I always volunteer to push someone and they think I am nice, but it is as much for myself.

Linda

Kind of like me and shopping carts on the days when I am fatigued... :) But pushing a wheelchair can be hard work! I learned that the hard way. I am sure you will have a great trip!

galc.gif

teri@iluvdisney.com

maybe you could put something in the wheelchair and push it around a little for a break. We did that a few times when my dd was still able to walk. It looked a little strange to see her walking behind the wheelchair with someone behind her holding her up, but, hey, it worked. With nothing in the chair, it's too light and rolls to easily, but another person is too much work.

SueM in MN

I have considered renting a stroller to have something to hold onto and to avoid having to carry anything. I say, whatever works to make someone's trip easier and more enjoyable is fine with me. I would not presume to look at someone and judge whether or not they 'deserved' to have a wheelchair or parking permit. Didn't feel that way before I got my own permit. It took my DD a couple of years to talk me into getting one. Her winning argument was that I only use it 'when I need it'. I have still problems though because one 'bad day'I used my permit and when I returned to my car I found a gentlemen in a wheel chair who was parked a bit further away than I was and I felt he needed the space more than I. I hate moral delemmia's such as these cause you can never be right. I try. I am helping to care for a very sick friend right now and our trip is on hold but reading these boards keeps me from just thinking of the sad parts of my life right now and looking forward to our next trip, whenever tht might be. My friend's daughter is even more of a Disney nut than I am so we share many animated conversations. Everyone needs a bit of magic in their life.

Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter