can no longer choose seats on american airlines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Not discrimination.

I usually agree with your posts, but not here. Realistically, someone in a wheelchair can't be placed in a middle seat on a plane. That scenario becomes a safety issue for the passenger in the window seat during an evacuation. If Basic Economy fares don't allow those passengers with disabilities to purchase those fares (which are the cheapest), it becomes discriminatory.

Airlines make reasonable accommodations to assist passengers with disabilities all the time. In this case, they will assign a seat on a Basic Economy fare. An example from a blogger:

"Basic Economy airfare does not include advance seat selection, and those assigned to travelers at check-in are typically middle seats in the back of the airplane. If you have a disability and are traveling with a wheelchair, it is important to call AA's special assistance line before checking-in for your flight.

If you explain to the special assistance team the nature of your disability, chances are they will assign you to a preferred seat without charge. When I called, I explained that, because I use the aisle chair to board, putting me in a middle seat would cause problems for everyone, and would also be a safety concern. Without any hassle, I was assigned to a window seat like I requested."
Source: https://wheelchairtravel.org/basic-economy-airfare-travelers-disabilities/

This line in that blog post is why I keep repeating that smidgy should call the airline. I honestly believe that this is a simple thing to resolve without having to purchase a more expense fare.

"Per the Air Carrier Access Act, airlines must also seat a person with a disability together with their companion if requested."

Better advice might be found (including firsthand accounts) in the disABILITIES! forum: https://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities.20/

I usually agree with your posts, but not here. Realistically, someone in a wheelchair can't be placed in a middle seat on a plane. That scenario becomes a safety issue for the passenger in the window seat during an evacuation. If Basic Economy fares don't allow those passengers with disabilities to purchase those fares (which are the cheapest), it becomes discriminatory.

Airlines make reasonable accommodations to assist passengers with disabilities all the time. In this case, they will assign a seat on a Basic Economy fare. An example from a blogger:

"Basic Economy airfare does not include advance seat selection, and those assigned to travelers at check-in are typically middle seats in the back of the airplane. If you have a disability and are traveling with a wheelchair, it is important to call AA's special assistance line before checking-in for your flight.

If you explain to the special assistance team the nature of your disability, chances are they will assign you to a preferred seat without charge. When I called, I explained that, because I use the aisle chair to board, putting me in a middle seat would cause problems for everyone, and would also be a safety concern. Without any hassle, I was assigned to a window seat like I requested."
Source: https://wheelchairtravel.org/basic-economy-airfare-travelers-disabilities/

This line in that blog post is why I keep repeating that smidgy should call the airline. I honestly believe that this is a simple thing to resolve without having to purchase a more expense fare.

"Per the Air Carrier Access Act, airlines must also seat a person with a disability together with their companion if requested."

Better advice might be found (including firsthand accounts) in the disABILITIES! forum: https://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities.20/
I have wondered if on our returning flight from the Grand Caymans, if Delta were to have any seats available in the "Comfort" section, if they would allow my daughter to be upgraded at no charge due to the fact she is returning from back surgery. I have never been the type to try to ask for such as that because I would be too ashamed, but I did wonder about it.

I have wondered if on our returning flight from the Grand Caymans, if Delta were to have any seats available in the "Comfort" section, if they would allow my daughter to be upgraded at no charge due to the fact she is returning from back surgery. I have never been the type to try to ask for such as that because I would be too ashamed, but I did wonder about it.

No clue. Although, I do participate in a frequent traveler forum (like DisBoards but for business travelers) and vaguely recall someone writing about how she was upgraded for free into one of those seats because she had a broken leg with a cast. Don't know if that was Delta.

I'd guess that you'd have more luck asking in person at the ticket counter/gate than over the phone...particularly if it's obvious that the passenger has mobility issues.

No clue. Although, I do participate in a frequent traveler forum (like DisBoards but for business travelers) and vaguely recall someone writing about how she was upgraded for free into one of those seats because she had a broken leg with a cast. Don't know if that was Delta.

I'd guess that you'd have more luck asking in person at the ticket counter/gate than over the phone...particularly if it's obvious that the passenger has mobility issues.
I might if I can see that there are "upgrade" seats available on the way back. I am not the type to ever try to get something for free, that is just not me, but this is different. It would be an honest request for an honest reason. I still might feel odd doing so. Just need to suck up my pride I suppose. I just don't want to be seen as one of those who try to "con" the system of sorts, you know?

Will she be in a wheelchair to the gate? Last time i flew Delta, the Gate Agent put me and the other wheelchair passenger in the bulkhead seats.

I don't drive on expressways and interstates at all. y husband did most of the driving and no longer can since he is now nearly blind.

That info wasn’t known to us. And SW is so perfect for your situation that it’s mind boggling to me to reject it without looking into it thoroughly.

Domestic round trip flights haven’t been discounted since before 9/11.

There is rarely, if ever, any kind of deal for booking round trip on a single airline.

Yep. Domestically.

Yes, so true as I don't book "Basic". There is nothing in the original post that mentions whether that person was booking "Basic", "Main Cabin" or "First Class" and I wasn't disagreeing with your prior post about "Basic" tickets.

The posts following the OP’s first clarified that that’s the situation that was happening.

but I wasn't going to ASSUME that is what the OP meant because we know what happens when you ASSUME.

That’s why questions were asked of the OP, and then people gave their near-expert, well-reasoned experiences and opinions.

I would just book her first class now.

Unless she’s short. Delta non-transatlantic first class has seats that are slippery AND don’t let me solidly touch the ground if my back is against the seat. I end up curled up in them like a kid. Which then kills my knees.

So maybe just upgrade her to comfort now.

By then seats are assigned and it’s a huge deal. Not saying it’s impossible, but I certainly wouldn’t want to do that.

When my son broke his arm while we were away and was still in a hard splint on the trip home we paid to upgrade to first so that he would have less chance of being bumped.

I understand the disability and seating issues. But it is not fair to anyone who paid for their seat to be asked to move no matter what the airline or condition. That person might have a non visible disability.

To put the airline employees in an awkward place when airlines are overbooked asking people to move who paid for seats is wrong. For anyone regardless of disability or not — if you need to sit together pay!

This is not directed towards to OP who seems very considerate of things. It’s for those suggesting disabiled people ask airline to help find seat .

Now if an injury occurred while on the trip that is one thing about not paying or asking but a known condition is another

I understand the disability and seating issues. But it is not fair to anyone who paid for their seat to be asked to move no matter what the airline or condition. That person might have a non visible disability.

To put the airline employees in an awkward place when airlines are overbooked asking people to move who paid for seats is wrong. For anyone regardless of disability or not — if you need to sit together pay!

This is not directed towards to OP who seems very considerate of things. It’s for those suggesting disabiled people ask airline to help find seat .

Now if an injury occurred while on the trip that is one thing about not paying or asking but a known condition is another
Really? I said if there were any AVAILABLE? Not to take a seat from someone else. Geesh!!!

Really? I said if there were any AVAILABLE? Not to take a seat from someone else. Geesh!!!

Did I quote you or say this was in regards to your post? I don’t see that I did. Just a general it’s nor fair to ask others who paid for seats to move. I never quoted you or anybody else.

Just saying not good if important to sit someplace because of disability not to pay for seats. Not paying then expecting airline to find seats these days with overbooked flights not a good idea.

Did I quote you or say this was in regards to your post? I don’t see that I did. Just a general it’s nor fair to ask others who paid for seats to move. I never quoted you or anybody else.

Just saying not good if important to sit someplace because of disability not to pay for seats. Not paying then expecting airline to find seats these days with overbooked flights not a good idea.
Well it certainly felt like it was! I just want to make sure that it is known that I would never ever do such as that. I had some reservations about even posting the question, next time I will go with my gut.

Well it certainly felt like it was! I just want to make sure that it is known that I would never ever do such as that. I had some reservations about even posting the question, next time I will go with my gut.

As I stated I never directed it at anyone- you are the one who signled yourself out. Several people here have suggested that.

My point continues to be if you have needs whether physical disability, mental disability or family with small children IF YOU NEED TO SIT TOGETHER OR IN A SPECIFIC PLACE PAY FOR YOUR SEATS OR EBCI. With full flights and so many with mobility or special needs issues airlines might not be able to accommodate you if you don’t proactively try to get seats together. And if they have no empty seats that makes harder.

Once again I never quoted you, singled out your post or said it was you who suggested this. And I never once suggested or implied you’d expect people to move!

Last edited:
I will second the do not use third party sites for booking flights and an added tip, most airlines will price match the third party sites, even if you are using a coupon code on the third party sites.

Book through the airline directly and you will get the best treatment and usually better prices as well. BTW, some airlines are allowing you to choose your seats for free if you book on their site and charging or not allowing it at all when booking through a third party,

Actually I was on the AA site. You ,. Can choose seats after all, but they cost more.I didn't realize thatsouthwest
let's you board first, as AA does. Doesn't matter tho as Midway is too far for us. We live 45 miles nw of Chicago
You can often call the airlines and get them to price match for the same flight.

As I stated I never directed it at anyone- you are the one who signled yourself out. Several people here have suggested that.

My point continues to be if you have needs whether physical disability, mental disability or family with small children IF YOU NEED TO SIT TOGETHER OR IN A SPECIFIC PLACE PAY FOR YOUR SEATS OR EBCI. With full flights and so many with mobility or special needs issues airlines might not be able to accommodate you if you don’t proactively try to get seats together. And if they have no empty seats that makes harder.

Once again I never quoted you, singled out your post or said it was you who suggested this. And I never once suggested or implied you’d expect people to move!
Like I said, next time I will just go with my gut feeling and keep some questions to myself.:sad2:

Since the initial question was answered long ago and has now degenerated into arguing, this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter