Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WishingMom said:
For you seasoned runners, has anyone tried the Nike+ running sensor? I have an older iPod and cannot download the app so I was going to buy the sensor which is compatible with my iPod!

I used this,and I could never get it to calibrate right. I trained for a 5K and when I actually did the 5K it told me I was on mile 3 before I was even halfway done with 2.
I have heard people have good luck with it though.. But,always measure the distance yourself and don't rely solely on it.

I will follow Amy...a 10K is good for better corral placement and will also give you an idea of how you are doing.
I will also suggest you print out a calendar (I use printfree dot com and get the two months on one sheet). On this calendar, write down what you did for the day. I like to write milage and time it took to complete. I also record cross training. One can get busy and time slips away and before you know it, it has been 3 or 4 day since a run/walk. I write if I have been sick or had a bad headache the night before a run and my weight and that once a month event (ok. so I'm old enough that I am over that, but all of your aren't).

I have all of my sheet since I started distance training in 2008 for the Minnie Marathon (a 15K that was held in May) and I can look back and see my past plans and where I can change or whatever.
I too like having a training plan...it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to check off each run and see my progress .

I am going to try and get a good 10k time since my PHM would place me in the....dead last corral...gulp....too many pics along the way ? :confused3

If I used my PHM time, I am not sure they would let me register! LMAO It was over the 3:30 time the course is supposed to be open. Way. Over.

YAY FOR PICTURES!!!

http://www.longingforthesea.blogspot.com/2013/03/princess-half-2013-race-day.html

and

http://runwalkrepeat.blogspot.com/2013/03/2013-princess-half-race-report-big-race.html

Might help explain. LOL

Yeah--- I say get a good 10K- that's the best advice I have for someone who thinks they will be running faster than 3:15-3:30. It says you only need one for 2:45 or less, but I say get one and submit it anyway!

10Ks are fun and great prep for the real deal!

I may make this one my first full marathon once I do the PHM. I would like to do it in honor of my husband who is a retired Air Force vet.
Me too! My son is an airman and is stationed in England, so it is my way of supporting him.

I think I'm in! I turn 40 (*gulp*) less than a week after the PHM next year...and I think that completing it is going to be my goal for my 40th birthday. Plus, then I have a valid reason to spend my actual birthday in Disney! Bonus! :thumbsup2

Now, here are the hard parts: I'm hopelessly out of shape and motivation is not my strong suit (and while I'm at it, willpower and I aren't great friends either):rolleyes:

I also don't really have any Disney crazed friends nearby that are willing to enter into this insanity with me, so I'm looking for company during the training and maybe the race too. It would be cool if we could form a beginners thread to keep each other going. Or is there one already?

anyway, does anyone have a specific app or training program that they would recommend when you're starting from scratch?

And one last question: shoes. Can anyone tell me what kind of shoes I should be looking for? My tennis shoes are just cheap ones that won't hold up to running for any length of time.

I apologize if I repeated questions - I didn't read through all of the pages! Looking forward to following along with everyone! Thanks for humoring a newbie! :)

I think I'm in! I turn 40 (*gulp*) less than a week after the PHM next year...and I think that completing it is going to be my goal for my 40th birthday. Plus, then I have a valid reason to spend my actual birthday in Disney! Bonus! :thumbsup2

Now, here are the hard parts: I'm hopelessly out of shape and motivation is not my strong suit (and while I'm at it, willpower and I aren't great friends either):rolleyes:

I also don't really have any Disney crazed friends nearby that are willing to enter into this insanity with me, so I'm looking for company during the training and maybe the race too. It would be cool if we could form a beginners thread to keep each other going. Or is there one already?

anyway, does anyone have a specific app or training program that they would recommend when you're starting from scratch?

And one last question: shoes. Can anyone tell me what kind of shoes I should be looking for? My tennis shoes are just cheap ones that won't hold up to running for any length of time.

I apologize if I repeated questions - I didn't read through all of the pages! Looking forward to following along with everyone! Thanks for humoring a newbie! :)

Start now.1 find a local running store and get fitted for shoes, you don't have to buy from store just find out what they suggest as you can find them on the internet cheaper..2.there is a program called couch to 5k. Google it, many talk about it. set it as your first goal...now google 5k in "your town, usa" and do that as your finish goal for the coach to 5 k program. Now you are on your way. Don't wait to get shoes, just start and sign up for that 5K NOW so you have to do it.

After your 5k, look for a local 10k and then we will look for another program based on how you did. You see, set some "minnie" goals to reach the the big one in Feb.

Start now.1 find a local running store and get fitted for shoes, you don't have to buy from store just find out what they suggest as you can find them on the internet cheaper..2.there is a program called couch to 5k. Google it, many talk about it. set it as your first goal...now google 5k in "your town, usa" and do that as your finish goal for the coach to 5 k program. Now you are on your way. Don't wait to get shoes, just start and sign up for that 5K NOW so you have to do it.

After your 5k, look for a local 10k and then we will look for another program based on how you did. You see, set some "minnie" goals to reach the the big one in Feb.

:thumbsup2 YES! you can do it. but you have to sign up for a 5k and pay the money for the race first. that way you'll HAVE to do the race!

Neesy228 said:

I hear you! Today is my 41st and pledged to do this run just to prove that I can before I turn 42 (even though I still tell myself am 29 :). Lol

I think couch 2 5k is a pretty popular starting app. Best of luck!

Everything that Joan said... listen to!!! I used a program on my phone in conjunction with runkeeper. 5krunner... but I should have just bought the 10krunner since that is what I ended up using and it picks up right where the 5k leaves off. THEN I ended up getting their 21k runner to prepare for the PHM.

I hear you! Today is my 41st and pledged to do this run just to prove that I can before I turn 42 (even though I still tell myself am 29 :). Lol

Well, I hear/read... not sure which a report that is suggesting that 70 year olds are the "new" 30... given their life expectance and quality of life. Basically, how long a 70 year old is expected to live and how well they will live is now similar to what a 30 year old use to. Isn't that crazy!?! So I say still tell yourself you are 29... you may be that for quite a while. :goodvibes

I am so excited and relieved. I just walked my first 13.14 training day. I finished in 3:37. While this is not yet good enough for Disney, it is good enough for my first half that is 28 days away. They give you 4hrs to get it done. I also got the opportunity to try my first sparkle skirt. It felt good to sparkle through the park.

Well, I hear/read... not sure which a report that is suggesting that 70 year olds are the "new" 30... given their life expectance and quality of life. Basically, how long a 70 year old is expected to live and how well they will live is now similar to what a 30 year old use to. Isn't that crazy!?! So I say still tell yourself you are 29... you may be that for quite a while. :goodvibes

Given that I'm 50 and two years new to running...this is good to hear. :thumbsup2

Given that I'm 50 and two years new to running...this is good to hear. :thumbsup2

Right?! I also love the AARP add that showcases a gal who at 50 ran her first marathon (or half marathon) Growing up... 50 year olds were much "older" than they are now! I won't be that grey haired, housedress wearing grandmother I had for quite a while (even though my actual age may approach it)

annmarieda said:
Right?! I also love the AARP add that showcases a gal who at 50 ran her first marathon (or half marathon) Growing up... 50 year olds were much "older" than they are now! I won't be that grey haired, housedress wearing grandmother I had for quite a while (even though my actual age may approach it)

Hahahahahaha. I ran the PHM and turned 51 on 2/27. It was my first 1/2. i get my hair colored every 5 weeks. dde00 What's a house dress ? LOL

I am so excited and relieved. I just walked my first 13.14 training day. I finished in 3:37. While this is not yet good enough for Disney, it is good enough for my first half that is 28 days away. They give you 4hrs to get it done. I also got the opportunity to try my first sparkle skirt. It felt good to sparkle through the park.

Congrats!!! You are well on your way to a Disney race, and I hope you do great for your first half!!!

WishingMom said:

Happy birthday!

I always tell everyone that "mentally, I'm pushing 28" ;) My dear aunt is approaching 70, and she tells me all the time that she fully intends to be golfing on her 100th birthday. i believe her! Shes the most active vibrant person I know - at any age! Age is all in your mind.

Thank you for the suggestion! Good luck on your journey! :)

joan4mickey said:

Thank you! I have found several races - now to begin! :)

Oh my...this is getting personal.

I am that 50+ grey haired runner :goodvibes

Cindy your hair looks wonderful, I just don't have time to get mine colored as I'm always running. :rotfl2:

And 50 IS the new 40 and I love it. The only thing that is going to kill me now is the DD's wedding in two weeks. :crazy2:

I think I will make it my goal to see everyone of you make it over the finish line at the 2014 PHM in under 3 and half hours! Really I have no qualifications, but I have done it 5 times.

You know a 67 years young lady crossed the finish line this year in 1:54:??...because those few seconds really don't matter. She is awesome and she also ran the WDW half in January.

Hahahahahaha. I ran the PHM and turned 51 on 2/27. It was my first 1/2. i get my hair colored every 5 weeks. dde00 What's a house dress ? LOL

images

Something of a "casual" look...can clean in...lounge in. I guess the equivalent of pj bottoms that a lot of gals wear now even to the grocery store. :rotfl:
Oh my...this is getting personal.

I am that 50+ grey haired runner :goodvibes

Cindy your hair looks wonderful, I just don't have time to get mine colored as I'm always running. :rotfl2:

And 50 IS the new 40 and I love it. The only thing that is going to kill me now is the DD's wedding in two weeks. :crazy2:

I think I will make it my goal to see everyone of you make it over the finish line at the 2014 PHM in under 3 and half hours! Really I have no qualifications, but I have done it 5 times.

You know a 67 years young lady crossed the finish line this year in 1:54:??...because those few seconds really don't matter. She is awesome and she also ran the WDW half in January.

I love all this talk... I think sometimes I think of myself as too old. A year ago when I set out to start running... to train for the ToT... I asked my doc if it was an ok thing for me to be doing. :rotfl:

Now... I believe that in the future, I may very well be one of those young ladies to cross. Maybe not in under 2 hours... but I hope to still be running along many years from now.

btw, did you see the 75 or was it 76 year old runner...or the fact the OLDEST was, what 96? Yes, those of us in our 40s or 50s really need to remember how young we really are.

I think your goal to having everyone finish is under 3:30 is commendable.... I know for 2013 being my first 1/2, I was very proud to finish in under 2:30... but I didn't make many stops. For 2014, I want to find a balance between finishing in under 3:30 and stopping more.

annmarieda said:
Something of a "casual" look...can clean in...lounge in. I guess the equivalent of pj bottoms that a lot of gals wear now even to the grocery store. :rotfl:

I love all this talk... I think sometimes I think of myself as too old. A year ago when I set out to start running... to train for the ToT... I asked my doc if it was an ok thing for me to be doing. :rotfl:

Now... I believe that in the future, I may very well be one of those young ladies to cross. Maybe not in under 2 hours... but I hope to still be running along many years from now.

btw, did you see the 75 or was it 76 year old runner...or the fact the OLDEST was, what 96? Yes, those of us in our 40s or 50s really need to remember how young we really are.

I think your goal to having everyone finish is under 3:30 is commendable.... I know for 2013 being my first 1/2, I was very proud to finish in under 2:30... but I didn't make many stops. For 2014, I want to find a balance between finishing in under 3:30 and stopping more.

I love the pic! They sell these at Walmart. Thanks, Joan. I love your hair, too. You are such a classy lady. Have fun at the wedding, so exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter