California Grill and guessing time to make PS for fireworks?

lenshanem

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have any tips on how to get a California Grill PS during the fireworks? Is it hard to get in there and how do you even know what time to shoot for if park hours don't come out until way after the PS window? This would be for a February ten year anniversary dinner. I know this is early, but I'm curious.
Should I mention it is our anniversary when making the PS to increase our chances of getting near a window or should I call the restaurant myself just prior to our dinner?
Thanks!

By all means, mention when booking that it's for an anniversary. The CM on the phone taking the ressie can't guarantee a window seat. You have to request it when you check in ay the desk for dinner. If the window seat is a must, you may have to wait. When you check in, tell them you'd be willing to do that.

If the fireworks are at, let's say, 9:00, make your reservation for about 7:00.

If the fireworks start and you're not done with dinner, head out to the observation deck, which offers, I believe, the best spot for watching the fireworks.

We never stay inside to watch. These boards have had stories of people at window seats having to put up with hordes of others crowding around their tables when the fireworks start.

My advice: have a nice leisurely dinner. If you don't have a window seat, don't fret. Get there early enough to enjoy a ice cocktail at the bar. Then when the fireworks start, go outside.

Come back and finish dinner. Lots of people do this and the CM's are used to it.

The filet and the pork tenderloin are terrific, by the way.

And make that reservation as soon as you can.....

Enjoy!

Thanks. I'm confused on what time I should PS for. The fireworks times come out about two months before, but I can book at three months out. So how do I know what time to book?

Also, do they pipe the music on the balcony, too? It is OK to leave your table mid meal to go out onto the balcony?

If we finish our meal early we can still go out onto the balcony? Is the bar by there? Are there seats on the balcony? Does it get crowded to where you can't see?

Thanks. I'm confused on what time I should PS for. The fireworks times come out about two months before, but I can book at three months out. So how do I know what time to book?

When you find out what time the fireworks are, I'd then make a PS at CG for a night the fireworks are later (9:00 or later) Make the PS for 7-7:0 so you'll definitely be there for the show.

Also, do they pipe the music on the balcony, too?

YES.

It is OK to leave your table mid meal to go out onto the balcony?

YES. Many people do. It's expected. Everything will be just as you left it when you return to your table.

If we finish our meal early we can still go out onto the balcony?

YES.

Is the bar by there?

The bar is right when you come in, right next to the reception area. There's another bar right by the doors that lead to the observation deck.

Are there seats on the balcony?
NO.

Does it get crowded to where you can't see?
NO, IT DOESN'T.

Thanks so much, you've been a big help. One last question -

When you find out what time the fireworks are, I'd then make a PS at CG for a night the fireworks are later (9:00 or later) Make the PS for 7-7:0 so you'll definitely be there for the show.

Do you think I'm safe waiting to book until the hours are released or should I book a PS at 90 days guessing at the time to be safe?
Since we've never eaten here, I'm not sure on the popularity of this restaurant. Thanks!

Wait. In february they sometimes don't even have the fireworks. I'd wait to see the calendar. Everyone else should be waiting too.

You could also go by last year's info and try to guess. You can always change or cancel the PS.

Wait until times come out for firewqorks, then make your call.

I don't think you'll have any trouble.

I wanted to add my 10 cents worth, but Kfischer seems to have covered all the bases.
A window table is certainly nice and it won't hurt to try for one. But not to worry if you can't get one. I think the best view is from the deck--in fact, we don't even request window seating any longer.

Just wanted to add that Wishes is being shown every night even through the slower times. Hopefully this will last.

It is a popular restaurant. Perhaps you could make a PS for 7 or so and then adjust as necessary.

We're usually out of CG before Wishes begins but during our November trip, our waiter seemed to time our meal so that Wishes happened between courses. We went out on the deck and returned to fresh napkins. Perfect service.

Does everyone think 7 is a good time to shoot for in early February? I'm not sure around what time it gets dark.
Thanks!

The park will probably be closing around 7 or so in Feb (other than maybe Sat and possibly Wed), so maybe an earlier seating would be better. It does get darker earlier in February, so the fireworks are probably at closing which will be 7 on off nights and 9 or 9:30 on prime nights.

This does not take into account, however, the new extended hours (nighttime EMH) that may or may not be in effect at that time.

Geez... How confusing! I guess maybe I should shoot for 6? Seems sometimes MK closes as early as 6 in the winter now that I think about it. Doesn't it?

I had planned on a Monday night for this, but now I'm wondering if they'll even have Wishes running every night then.

I have so much I want to cram into this short anniversary trip! (All the things I've always wanted to do, but never did cause of the kids.)

Is CG worth eating at even if Wishes isn't running? Does the MK look nice at night from up there? Can you see much of it?

I've made a PS for mid-July at 8.20pm....does everyone think this is a good choice?

I agree with waiting for fireworks times to be posted prior to making PS. I have done so two times in October (honeymoon and last year for anniversary my DH let them know at PS check-in). Had no problem making PS ~2 mos out. Also, we were seated at table by the window both times. We did have to wait a little longer for the table the first time but not the second. I made the PS last year for 7pm, it was a MNSSHP night so Fireworks were at about 8:30 or so I think. We were finishing our entrees by this point. It's a wonderful dining experience! Enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter