Buying one time use points for waitlist??

arihillfarm

Mouseketeer
I need one night in June and am out of points. I had planned to book this by purchasing one time use points, as I didn't want to borrow from the next UY. Now, the room is only available to waitlist. I went through the waitlist procedure and it asked me if I wanted to borrow points and I said no. It let me finish the waitlist request. If the waitlist comes through, will I be able to purchase the one time use points needed for that night or will I be forced to borrow points instead? Thank you!

I need one night in June and am out of points. I had planned to book this by purchasing one time use points, as I didn't want to borrow from the next UY. Now, the room is only available to waitlist. I went through the waitlist procedure and it asked me if I wanted to borrow points and I said no. It let me finish the waitlist request. If the waitlist comes through, will I be able to purchase the one time use points needed for that night or will I be forced to borrow points instead? Thank you!
No.

You can purchase OTUPs for a phantom reservation and then cancel it in order to place those points in your account. If the waitlist comes thru, the OTUPs will be used. Just make sure that the phantom ressie falls within your UY for June AND you must cancel with 31 days or more before its check in to avoid holding.

However, if the waitlist doesn't come thru, then you will have OTUPs that will expire at the end of your UY.

Thank you! Thats's very helpful! I'd really rather not borrow. Since we're trying to go every two years using current and banked points, not borrowing keeps my account "cleaner" and doesn't leave points that would expire during the year we normally don't go.

If I didn't have OTUP in my account and no other points available, and also didn't request that the points for another reservation be used for the waitlist, what would happen if the waitlist went through? It seems odd that DVC would allow a member to place a waitlist without options for "paying" (with points), if the waitlist were filled.

Thank you! Thats's very helpful! I'd really rather not borrow. Since we're trying to go every two years using current and banked points, not borrowing keeps my account "cleaner" and doesn't leave points that would expire during the year we normally don't go.

If I didn't have OTUP in my account and no other points available, and also didn't request that the points for another reservation be used for the waitlist, what would happen if the waitlist went through? It seems odd that DVC would allow a member to place a waitlist without options for "paying" (with points), if the waitlist were filled.
From my understanding, ifthere are no available points to cover the reservation then it won't be made on your behalf. At one time, some CMs that handle waitlists would call an owner if there were not enough points but it is a courtesy that they cannot afford given how thinly stretched Member Services is right now and I would not count on it happening even in good times.

Since owners would know what points they have available to cover a waitlist, I am not sure why it would be needed to stop it from processing since it does give you the option to borrow to ensure it can be filled,

Many waitlists replace other reservations too. As already mentioned, to use OTU points, they must be in your account and can only be purchased at the time of booking a trip, Just be sure if you do that, the phantom trip is at least 31 days in the future so you can cancel and in the same UY as your June night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter