Brand New to DVC

I'm still in the research phase, but I just wanted to say congratulations!!! :goodvibes

I beg to disagree. I am the new member who was disappointed because of the significant increase in the points needed and would love to see which "comparable" cruise you see that is less points! Please tell me what you were looking at because comparable to me means comparing value to value season, same cabin category, and same number of people and those numbers are not at all less in 2012 versus 2011. In fact if you just look at the number of points needed for a 3rd/4th child it is about 50% higher across the board. Please help me understand your arithmetic!

Thank you again for the feedback everyone, it's great to hear all kinds of perspectives as we gauge our options.

I think we've decided to stay the course. We have money in savings that will cover the majority of the initial cost, and we'll put the balance on our insured credit line which has an interest rate of only 3% compared to Mickey's 12.75%!! We should have that paid off within a year.

We basically plan to do a DVC resort once a year (or rent out our points to friends/family if we can't go), do a DCL cruise every other year, and an RCI exchange every now and then for other world getaways. I know many of you say it's not worth the points for the trips outside of DVC, but with the amount of points we've purchased we should be able to borrow or bank for some nice vacations!

We are fortunate enough financially, and while I know things can change on a dime, we truly believe this is the best fit for our family. My theory since my brother passed away a couple years ago at only 41 years old is don't put off anything because time with your family is the most valuable thing in the world, immeasurable in dollars and cents.

Thanks again, I will continue to post and pester you with questions as our DVC journey continues!!

Thank you again for the feedback everyone, it's great to hear all kinds of perspectives as we gauge our options.

I think we've decided to stay the course. We have money in savings that will cover the majority of the initial cost, and we'll put the balance on our insured credit line which has an interest rate of only 3% compared to Mickey's 12.75%!! We should have that paid off within a year.

We basically plan to do a DVC resort once a year (or rent out our points to friends/family if we can't go), do a DCL cruise every other year, and an RCI exchange every now and then for other world getaways. I know many of you say it's not worth the points for the trips outside of DVC, but with the amount of points we've purchased we should be able to borrow or bank for some nice vacations!

We are fortunate enough financially, and while I know things can change on a dime, we truly believe this is the best fit for our family. My theory since my brother passed away a couple years ago at only 41 years old is don't put off anything because time with your family is the most valuable thing in the world, immeasurable in dollars and cents.

Thanks again, I will continue to post and pester you with questions as our DVC journey continues!!

Welcome Home!:welcome:

Welcome and congratulations and you have done what I think a new buyer should do. Evaluate things, know the ins and outs and make a decision that works best for you.

You have many years ahead of you of special DVC vacations!!!

We have been members since 1997. We have seldom traded-out, since we like to spend out points at DVC resorts to get the best bang for the buck. Note that the DVC Vero Beach and Hilton Head Island resorts are great ways to use your points if you don't want a theme park vacation. We have also used points for a couple of Disney cruises. Many people believe that's not the best use of points, but I was too lazy to rent mine out and pay cash.

In this economy, when money is tight (at least for me), I like having the points to justify taking a vacation. We just came back from a VB/HHI roadtrip.

Chris from DE

I just closed on 200 points at SSS! I went through Disney direct as I was unable to get financing through Timeshare lending because of a bump in my credit in 2004 :( However I qualified for Disney preferred rate, instead of 13-14.75% offered by Timeshare lending, and will pay over 5 years instead of 10, so my cost is not much more! Calling today to book a short trip in January. Whooo Hooo:banana:

Hello everyone! We just bought into DVC on our July 5th Disney Dream cruise. We are a family of three and enjoy our vacation time, so we thought this would be a good fit for us. We bought 480 points (split into two 240 point contracts), both at Animal Kingdom Lodge (there was no choice in home resort, that's what they were offering.) For booking on the cruise we got the following incentives:

1. Purchase price of $102/point (for booking over 320 points)
2. Our use year actually begins in February 2011...so in 6 months we will have 960 points.)
3. Dues pro-rated to June
4. 18 VIP fast passes
5. A $500 dollar shipboard credit (which we gladly accepted!)

So experts, let me have it...how did we do? Are those good incentives to cash in on? We are planning on at least one vacation a year at Disney, plus possibly some smaller getaways at the other non-Disney offerings. We'd also like to give family members a chance to use our points as well from time to time. Any advice, or a hint that we got ripped off will be helpful (since we do have another 8 days to pull the plug completely!!!)

Thanks!!!

I think if you are happy then it is a good deal. You will get lots of enjoyment out of your purchase.

My wife and I became DVC family members on our Dream Cruise (July5th).:yay: We asked about other DVC resorts and were able to buy 200 points at Saratoga Spring for $99/point. We did not get the onboard ($500) credit though. We figured the $99/point and the extra points we purchased (40 points) would serve us better. We did get this years points which we will bank and take the kids and grandkids to Disney next summer. We can't wait!!!

- let's say we did cancel this agreement and bought resale for a lower price, is it true that you can't use resale point for DCL, Adventures by Disney or World Passport collection, Concierge or Signature resorts?

Thanks again!!!

NOT CORRECT.

If you buy resale you can't use the points for the
1) Disney Collection (which includes the Disney Cruise Line)
2) Adventures by Disney
3) Concierge Collection

If you buy RESALE you can use yours points
1) For all the DVC resorts
2) RCI or World Passport Collection
3) Signature Selections through RCI
4) Club Intrawest Resorts
5) Club Cordial®

I hope that helps.

Jason

:thumbsup2 DH and I say "Welcome Home". We purchased direct in 2009 and have no regrets. After a jolting family disater or two, vacations and memories are priceless. Hooray for you and your family !!:cool1::cool1:

Welcome home! You are going to LOVE it. We have used every point every year. We have gone on cruises, to fabulous hotels, London, and most of all WDW. We do not regret one single point purchased or trip taken. I hope you enjoy as much as we have. :thumbsup2.

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome! We are looking forward to booking our first trip with some good friends of ours next summer...the hard part is waiting!!

NOT CORRECT.

If you buy resale you can't use the points for the
1) Disney Collection (which includes the Disney Cruise Line)
2) Adventures by Disney
3) Concierge Collection

If you buy RESALE you can use yours points
1) For all the DVC resorts
2) RCI or World Passport Collection
3) Signature Selections through RCI
4) Club Intrawest Resorts
5) Club Cordial®

I hope that helps.

Jason

And all of that can change at the whim of Disney.

I would DEFINITELY have the contracts split into smaller 'pieces'
Small contracts sell very well if you would ever decide to sell off part of your ownership (heaven forbid! HAHA)

We paid $75 per point for an 85 point contract at Saratoga Springs. (Resale/Secondary Market)
We paid $41.78 per point for a 250+ point contract at Hilton Head Island (Resale/Secondary Market)

While yes, Hilton Head usually sells at a much lower price to start with - $41.78 is an incredible price! The contract was on the market for $60.00 per point, my wife wanted to offer $50.00, but I wanted to offer $40. So we did that, and the seller counter offered asking for $41.78 (off figure, I know HAHA) We also beat the deadline and our points are full value, just like the ones we bought direct at AKV and BLT.

But anyway - my point being that smaller contract are more valuable on the resale market.

I think your purchase price and incentives made for a great purchase. All in all, it was equal to the incentives that we received when we purchased at BLT. We received a 7 night cruise, and a discount on our points. So between your gift card, your discounted points, the pro-rated dues, the point for this year, and next in just a few months - you got a better than average deal in my opinion!

I still wish Disney would ROFR more points, and make THOSE points available as incentive points for new members, or current members who are adding on.
I think that would be a great incentive when they sell out at BLT!

Hi! Just returned from our 20th trip to Disney with our now grown-up kids. NOOOOO, still never purchased DVC due to DH skepticism for so many years.

Well, now adult DD's and myself are ready to make the move on our own. We have attended the tour at Saratoga Springs and we are pretty savvy as far as how it all works. I am on the email list for TTS and receive mail from them each day which I have been watching like a hawk. I also contacted a DVC rep last night for additional questions. Direct buy vs. resale type of thing. May I ask, if someone has points purchase with their "home " being Vero Beach or HH, does that bear any affect on booking a ressie at WDW? Are those points worth just the same as they would be at your "home" place. How slim are your chances at getting the ressie you want? Would appreciate any advice before we take this plunge.
Congrats to new members as well!:confused3

Hi! Just returned from our 20th trip to Disney with our now grown-up kids. NOOOOO, still never purchased DVC due to DH skepticism for so many years.

Well, now adult DD's and myself are ready to make the move on our own. We have attended the tour at Saratoga Springs and we are pretty savvy as far as how it all works. I am on the email list for TTS and receive mail from them each day which I have been watching like a hawk. I also contacted a DVC rep last night for additional questions. Direct buy vs. resale type of thing. May I ask, if someone has points purchase with their "home " being Vero Beach or HH, does that bear any affect on booking a ressie at WDW? Are those points worth just the same as they would be at your "home" place. How slim are your chances at getting the ressie you want? Would appreciate any advice before we take this plunge.
Congrats to new members as well!:confused3

I will reiterate to ANYONE who is thinking about buying DVC points -
But where you want to stay -
If you want to stay at Vero Beach, and want the 11 month booking window to be able to get an ocean view villa at 11 months - buy at Vero Beach.

If you are buying points at Hilton Head or Vero Beach with the intent of using them, almost exclusively at WDW - buy points at a resort on property.

Right now, having been members since 2008 - I can say with a high degree of certainty that you can get 'something' at Old Key West or Saratoga just about any time of the year - with the exception of very high peak periods (Holidays)

However, as a DVC member, you have to remember that the only usage that you are GUARANTEED in writing is priority access to your HOME RESORT. The ability stay at WDW with Vero or HHI points is NOT a guarantee. It is a perk, and as long time DVC members can attest - it could be taken at any time.

The likelihood of it actually happening that way is very low. It would limit their ability to 'sell ' all of the other resorts as part of the Disney Vacation Club, and they would in essence limit their market appeal by at least half. Part of the fun of DVC is staying some place else, for nearly the exact same cost.

So, the initial low cost per point at Vero Beach and Hilton Head Island is very appealing - however remember that the maintenance fees are higher there - and will only continue to climb as the years pass.

We almost bought points at Hilton Head two years ago, but decided against it due to point cost. We assumed that we would be able to book what we want when we want it - and after two years of trying to get something in the summer - we finally bought points there - to use there. That isn't saying that we will never trade those points out for a cruise or a WDW stay - but we intend to use those point for stays there.

When it comes to buying points at a resort that you know you won't be staying at frequently - proceed with caution.

I would suggest to you, PP, in your situation - buy a small contract, and use it for a few years, and see if it fits your needs, your vacation style, and your frequency needs.

My wife and I became DVC family members on our Dream Cruise (July5th).:yay: We asked about other DVC resorts and were able to buy 200 points at Saratoga Spring for $99/point. We did not get the onboard ($500) credit though. We figured the $99/point and the extra points we purchased (40 points) would serve us better. We did get this years points which we will bank and take the kids and grandkids to Disney next summer. We can't wait!!!

Congratulations and Welcome Home to you also!

Something else to consider. Maybe you could reduce your points from 480 to 320 and retain the amount of points necessary to get the promotional deal that you were offered (320+). Break that into two 160 point contracts. Then if you really think you will need 480 you could find a 160 point contract through resale. If you get the same UY you would still have 320 points direct from Disney that you could use to trade out (for as long as that is offered, which could be the life of the contract), and then you would have the resale points for a much cheaper price that you could use solely for Disney stays (there are some other options currently available for resale purchasers).

:thumbsup2 I agree, buy the 320 direct; stay at Ak 1st. Maybe try 2-3 diff resorts,and in 1 yr, you could buy the extra points somewhere else (or AK if you love it there). If you decided Ak was not your 1st choice resort you can use banking/borrowing if need be to get the resort you like the most.

I think the deal itself is very good overall, for buying direct. !!! And I think having 100 - 200 resale points would certainly assist and save you a little more. You could save 5000-8000$ just by keeping some of them resale. ..and have flex on more than 1 resort if you wanted it.

..and CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter