BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

Does anyone think it is strange a murphy bed was not included rather than the dresser with eclectic drawer pulls in the studios? Looks like they centered the TV rather than having it across from the queen bed and its closer to the pull-out couch and there is an open gap with nothing in it on the floor plan. I could maybe see not being able to squeeze in a stall shower since the old WL rooms were smaller, but a bed could have fit.

I am wondering if it is because of the narrower rooms they are converting ? When laid out and all the beds open I don;t think there would have been much "walk past the murphy bed" room left... certainly not a normal walk, I think at the least you would be turning to the side ...

SW

I am wondering if it is because of the narrower rooms they are converting ? When laid out and all the beds open I don;t think there would have been much "walk past the murphy bed" room left... certainly not a normal walk, I think at the least you would be turning to the side ...

SW
Hmm I guess this could be why, but then I think there are moderate resorts that come in with less square footage with murphy bed additions. It just confuses me. lol

Forget the pricing.... does anyone that ever STAYED in a Pacific Northwest Lodge think that the "Ikea look" was a good choice?

Sorry - that decor looks like an Airport Hilton :(. Just our personal opinion..... we own at Bolder Ridge. If I got stuck one extra night? I just wouldn't stay in one of those boxes.

The scary thing is, they probably didn't pay IKEA prices...

Hmm I guess this could be why, but then I think there are moderate resorts that come in with less square footage with murphy bed additions. It just confuses me. lol
I'm confused by it too...But I could see it because BRV has 5 person studios...But I thought for sure that the 1 bed would sleep 5 and 2 bed sleep 9...But alas...no... Although I see the cabins only sleep 8 too...
I have to say, I'm not entirely thrilled with the room style

I'm confused by it too...But I could see it because BRV has 5 person studios...But I thought for sure that the 1 bed would sleep 5 and 2 bed sleep 9...But alas...no... Although I see the cabins only sleep 8 too...
I have to say, I'm not entirely thrilled with the room style
I agree!
I guess for how gutted the interior of the south wing appeared to be in pictures, I thought they would have been more creative in converting the interior with the possibility of a two story grand villa. We are only a family of three and a studio has no appeal to us because I dislike the idea of pulling out a couch every night.
I thought the Poly interiors were great modern updates on the Tiki vibe, but this does look like Ikea, not Disney, and not WL.

The scary thing is, they probably didn't pay IKEA prices...

I think they blew their interior decorating budget on the seating for the grand villas (I counted 21 chairs, not including the balconies, sofa and any upholstered chairs which would bring it up to 34.) :faint:

All joking aside, what has happened to DVC's interior decorating capabilities as of late? They used to be know for carrying the theming through into the rooms. The poly was done fairly well, as was the VGF. Even the tree houses were furnished well. These initial pictures of the CCC studios and 1 & 2br units have no unique touches that we can see.

I'm hoping that they're waiting on craftsmen to complete themed lighting and proper wooden dressers and tables that will last, look beautiful and draw buyers in. I'm also hoping there's a surprise river rock shower and tub to be unveiled.

While I would have preferred a less beige and a less modern look, I actually like the pictures of the new rooms at CCV. That might be because to me they do not look like IKEA, but modern Scandinavian design. And yes, IKEA emulates that look. But the real thing is actually very pricey and not cheap. For example the chest of drawers in the living room do look a little like a product you can buy at IKEA. But if you look closely, you can see that it is actually made out of real wood, as you can see how the wood is connected at the corner. The IKEA product would only be veneer on top of MDF. Having been to some very nice places in the Swedish outdoors with exactly that look, to me it even looks rustic. And there are some cool features. I like the different drawers in the studio, the headboards of the beds in the studio and the one-bedroom. These are rather unique elements.

However, I do agree that there is nothing very specific Pacific Northwest about it. But then, look at the current WL rooms, what is so special about them besides the headboards??

While I would have preferred a less beige and a less modern look, I actually like the pictures of the new rooms at CCV. That might be because to me they do not look like IKEA, but modern Scandinavian design. And yes, IKEA emulates that look. But the real thing is actually very pricey and not cheap. For example the chest of drawers in the living room do look a little like a product you can buy at IKEA. But if you look closely, you can see that it is actually made out of real wood, as you can see how the wood is connected at the corner. The IKEA product would only be veneer on top of MDF. Having been to some very nice places in the Swedish outdoors with exactly that look, to me it even looks rustic. And there are some cool features. I like the different drawers in the studio, the headboards of the beds in the studio and the one-bedroom. These are rather unique elements.

However, I do agree that there is nothing very specific Pacific Northwest about it. But then, look at the current WL rooms, what is so special about them besides the headboards??

It isn't just the IKEA vibe, it's that it doesn't match the arts and crafts/ mission style feel of the rest of the resort. They could have done some amazing clean lines, contemporary feel with keeping the style...
An example
https://goo.gl/photos/288chmD1Lw2gARCP6

It isn't just the IKEA vibe, it's that it doesn't match the arts and crafts/ mission style feel of the rest of the resort. They could have done some amazing clean lines, contemporary feel with keeping the style...
An example
https://goo.gl/photos/288chmD1Lw2gARCP6

See, while I agree that that design would be a better fit, I personally don't like that look at all...:tilt:

Ultimately the question is: What will sell the best - that's what DVC is looking for. And I think there are two factors at play: when DVC was smaller, people would buy for the uniqueness of the design, the ultimate Disney fan was attracted to those hotels. And the second is that with the current pricing, people expect something that feels more "luxurious" than the thrown together look of an old railway lodge that VWL originally had. Exactly the fact that this looks like any modern four star hotel is what a lot of purchasers will expect.

We as Disney fans might not like it that they went from theming (transporting you to another place and time) to only decorating (a look that is inspired by another place and time, but is still very much here and now). But that ship has sailed a long time. In a way the Pirate's rooms at CBR, the Princess rooms at POR, the whole AoA are only decorated, not themed. Just in a different way. This is the luxury version of it.

See, while I agree that that design would be a better fit, I personally don't like that look at all...:tilt:

Ultimately the question is: What will sell the best - that's what DVC is looking for. And I think there are two factors at play: when DVC was smaller, people would buy for the uniqueness of the design, the ultimate Disney fan was attracted to those hotels. And the second is that with the current pricing, people expect something that feels more "luxurious" than the thrown together look of an old railway lodge that VWL originally had. Exactly the fact that this looks like any modern four star hotel is what a lot of purchasers will expect.

We as Disney fans might not like it that they went from theming (transporting you to another place and time) to only decorating (a look that is inspired by another place and time, but is still very much here and now). But that ship has sailed a long time. In a way the Pirate's rooms at CBR, the Princess rooms at POR, the whole AoA are only decorated, not themed. Just in a different way. This is the luxury version of it.

See, I currently love the WL rooms, although they are starting to look banged up. I especially love the headboards...But I also like the little touches of a nod to the arts and crafts mission style.

And my feeling is if you are advertising the WL as this:

Escape to the rustic majesty of America’s Great Northwest. Inspired by turn-of-the-century National Park lodges, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge celebrates American craftsmanship and honors the beauty of the untamed wilderness.

Then you probably should deliver that, and this room decor doesn't appear to right now...Maybe more photos and actual tours of the room will change my mind.

Exactly. Before they did the last refurb at VWL, there was a distinct feel to the rooms there, and I would be the first to admit that it was darker than many appreciated and tending to almost caricature in a few instances. Yet, that is exactly why I fell in love with the Lodge, more especially, VWL. I can go to any number of hotels in any number of cities and find that clean, modern look--it's ubiquitous. When I go to Disney, yes, I do expect to be transported to a different experience. As danikoski quoted above, Disney fosters certain perceptions; thus, one develops certain expectations to match. . .at least I do. ;) I would have loved to see a room more closely resembling the picture that, again, danikoski shows above.

While I understand that style doesn't appeal to everyone, isn't that the whole point of the resorts, something different for everyone? With a few minor adjustments, the now widely-circulated picture of the CCVC studio could just as easily fit into the theming at BLT, or Poly, et. al. The larger point is that such a skewing toward modernity lessens the feeling of being immersed in Disney, especially now that my wife and I don't hit the parks as heavily anymore. I liked that Disney rooms were unique. Now, I see a certain sameness--though granted a nicely modern one--that makes me yawn.

A bigger question for me is, "why?" To my mind, the primary driver is an economic one. Theming takes money from the initial creativity, to the graphic layouts, to the architecture, and most heavily, the furnishings. To be unique means smaller quantities of hard and soft goods, specifically designated for a particular resort, and that generally means more cost. All of this isn't to say the argument that many who come to Disney would prefer more modern, sleek lines is off base. I suspect that it is true to some extent. Such an acknowledgement doesn't, however, reduce my feelings that Disney is increasingly taking less chances at being unique, which can only be seen as further admission to what we all know--the bottom line is what truly matters.

Exactly. Before they did the last refurb at VWL, there was a distinct feel to the rooms there, and I would be the first to admit that it was darker than many appreciated and tending to almost caricature in a few instances. Yet, that is exactly why I fell in love with the Lodge, more especially, VWL. I can go to any number of hotels in any number of cities and find that clean, modern look--it's ubiquitous. When I go to Disney, yes, I do expect to be transported to a different experience. As danikoski quoted above, Disney fosters certain perceptions; thus, one develops certain expectations to match. . .at least I do. ;) I would have loved to see a room more closely resembling the picture that, again, danikoski shows above.

While I understand that style doesn't appeal to everyone, isn't that the whole point of the resorts, something different for everyone? With a few minor adjustments, the now widely-circulated picture of the CCVC studio could just as easily fit into the theming at BLT, or Poly, et. al. The larger point is that such a skewing toward modernity lessens the feeling of being immersed in Disney, especially now that my wife and I don't hit the parks as heavily anymore. I liked that Disney rooms were unique. Now, I see a certain sameness--though granted a nicely modern one--that makes me yawn.

A bigger question for me is, "why?" To my mind, the primary driver is an economic one. Theming takes money from the initial creativity, to the graphic layouts, to the architecture, and most heavily, the furnishings. To be unique means smaller quantities of hard and soft goods, specifically designated for a particular resort, and that generally means more cost. All of this isn't to say the argument that many who come to Disney would prefer more modern, sleek lines is off base. I suspect that it is true to some extent. Such an acknowledgement doesn't, however, reduce my feelings that Disney is increasingly taking less chances at being unique, which can only be seen as further admission to what we all know--the bottom line is what truly matters.

I don't disagree with you there. That's why I made the point about "theming" in contrast to "decorating". I have heard from a friend who used to work at Disney that with the new resort rooms, the room design is being outsourced to design companies, it is no longer being done by WDI themselves. And you can tell. The interesting thing is that themed hotels have become more and more of a thing outside of Disney now. Here in Germany a number of local amusement parks have built their own themed hotels and I recently stayed at Cabana Bay Beach Resort at Universal. All those seem to deliver far more in the aspect of transporting to you to a different place than the current Disney trend.

I said it on the other thread, I think Disney misinterprets (sometimes) the difference between clean, uncluttered, etc., for boring and no theming. Depending on the resort, sometimes "clutter", or rustic, or fussy (Grand Floridian) is needed.

I think sometimes they streamline everything to give it that modern look, but don't always pull it off with regard to the nature of the resort in question. Beach Club had a good refurb, nicely done for the most part. GF...missed the mark. I will reserve judgement until I see the rooms. I'm looking forward to seeing the Grand Villa and the cabins!!

My point, too, but you spelled it out much more nicely. :)

"modern", "sleek", "polished" doesn't always translate to each and every unique resort. I love immersive theming, which is what I adore about Disney...and one of the reasons why I stay on property (we spend more time at the resort than in the park). Some of these decors...make me yawn, too. :)

Thank you for posting, @PolyRob.

Always appreciate any breaking news being posted (or even re-posted;)).

There is no date on the 2017 points chart before July 17th so I guess that is the date they are shooting for.

That's correct:). Great detective work:magnify:, @ArielSRL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter