Boorish behavior

That's strange. I don't ever recall being told that everyone has to move at the end of the row in the theatre. We've always sat near the middle and people would fill in on either side of us, but I've never heard any announcement to move. Perhaps sometimes they mention to fill all available seats when it's busy, but I don't remember being asked to move.

Those older ladies were just lying to you so that they can sit where they wanted to sit without any regard for others. The fact that they can do that shows the kind of people they are. The sad thing about this is not that those ladies will continue to be horrible people, but that it may make you more jaded. This is the issue with having to deal with such selfish self absorbed people...it's the considerate people who suffer.

Most, if not all, theatre shows at WDW make that announcement. You are not able to fill in on both sides as everyone enters through one side of the room and exit on the other.
funny that those ladies would think that rule should apply to some but not them. That's truly self centered IMO.

Yeah, it's usually part of the spiel. I can hear Goofy's voice in my head right now telling people to go aaaaaall the way to the end in Mickey's Philharmagic. At less crowded times of year you can get away with stopping in the middle of the row, but when the shows are running at or near capacity I've seen/heard CM's stepping in to make additional announcements to get people to go to the end. If it's low crowds it's still technically against the rules to stop in the middle, but no one will care...unless they're citing the rule to get you out of the seats they want to take for themselves (seriously, jerk move on those ladies' part). In more crowded times if I care about being in the middle I'll sometimes let people go ahead of me in the waiting area so I'm not one of the first ones in.

That's just the shows in the parks, though, because as tinkerone said it's due to the theaters typically loading from one side and unloading out the other. On the ship it was more about the CMs asking people to fill seats all the way to the middles of rows since people can enter the rows of seats from either direction.

Most, if not all, theatre shows at WDW make that announcement. You are not able to fill in on both sides as everyone enters through one side of the room and exit on the other.
funny that those ladies would think that rule should apply to some but not them. That's truly self centered IMO.

Yes, definitely in all places in WDW, but not once in all the times I've been in the Walt Disney Theatre at all 4 ships have I ever heard of that announcement. Actually, our first few times on a DCL cruise at the WD theatre, we always went to the end of the row because we were used to hearing it at the WDW parks shows. But we soon noticed that there was no announcement about it...just several reminders of not saving any seats.

Yeah, it's usually part of the spiel. I can hear Goofy's voice in my head right now telling people to go aaaaaall the way to the end in Mickey's Philharmagic. At less crowded times of year you can get away with stopping in the middle of the row, but when the shows are running at or near capacity I've seen/heard CM's stepping in to make additional announcements to get people to go to the end. If it's low crowds it's still technically against the rules to stop in the middle, but no one will care...unless they're citing the rule to get you out of the seats they want to take for themselves (seriously, jerk move on those ladies' part). In more crowded times if I care about being in the middle I'll sometimes let people go ahead of me in the waiting area so I'm not one of the first ones in.

That's just the shows in the parks, though, because as tinkerone said it's due to the theaters typically loading from one side and unloading out the other. On the ship it was more about the CMs asking people to fill seats all the way to the middles of rows since people can enter the rows of seats from either direction.

Exactly! We go somewhere in the middle because with the rows being so tight, sitting at the end would always result in getting up every time someone wants to go in...but I can understand why some people want to stay at the ends even though there's numerous seats towards the middle, it just creates a bit of inconvenience.

Yes, definitely in all places in WDW, but not once in all the times I've been in the Walt Disney Theatre at all 4 ships have I ever heard of that announcement. Actually, our first few times on a DCL cruise at the WD theatre, we always went to the end of the row because we were used to hearing it at the WDW parks shows. But we soon noticed that there was no announcement about it...just several reminders of not saving any seats.

I think I only heard a request to completely fill rows on the night they were doing the Tangled musical. On the other nights there were seats to spare, but since the theater got closer to capacity that evening they were trying to discourage people leaving gaps.

Side note: that evening I ended up getting invited to sit in a seat two families had left empty between them when a person from one of them saw me wandering around and recognized me as a solo cruiser from having seen me at other events (I'd gotten there late, not having realized how full the theater would be that night). I mention that because that was more representative of my encounters with other guests on my cruise this year than the boorish behavior described in this thread.

I think I only heard a request to completely fill rows on the night they were doing the Tangled musical. On the other nights there were seats to spare, but since the theater got closer to capacity that evening they were trying to discourage people leaving gaps.

Side note: that evening I ended up getting invited to sit in a seat two families had left empty between them when a person from one of them saw me wandering around and recognized me as a solo cruiser from having seen me at other events (I'd gotten there late, not having realized how full the theater would be that night). I mention that because that was more representative of my encounters with other guests on my cruise this year than the boorish behavior described in this thread.

Definitely...I can honestly say that I have encountered much more wonderful interactions with guests/CMs than rude and selfish people. Unfortunately, for me, I'm still quite shocked by some of these rude behaviour that those are the ones that remain with me for days.

Exactly! We go somewhere in the middle because with the rows being so tight, sitting at the end would always result in getting up every time someone wants to go in...but I can understand why some people want to stay at the ends even though there's numerous seats towards the middle, it just creates a bit of inconvenience.

I am one of those who prefers the end of the row. I will at times have to use the restroom without notice so I prefer to not have to wade through all of the people to try to get in and out. I think that causes much less of a hassle to get up before the show to let people in then try to do that during the show.

I mention that because that was more representative of my encounters with other guests on my cruise this year than the boorish behavior described in this thread.

Yes. The only bad interactions we have had on any cruise ship so far was with an NCL cruiser in the terminal as we were boarding the Wonder in Vancouver last summer. Leaving the initial check in area, this guy dropped his carry on suitcase on my mom's foot. When she had the audacity to say "ow," he angrily accused her of being in the wrong place. Hmmmmm. We were glad to know that there was no chance of running into him on board. (It was sort of funny when he called her an "old girl" to his traveling companion. More so considering he was at least the same age as my mom, maybe older.)

Sorry for the confusion. Cteddiesgirl specifically mentioned WDW so when you said it was strange, you had not heard that in the theater, I thought you were speaking about the same. The ladies were not in fact lying because of the fact is was at WDW. We have only been on two of the DCL ships but numerous times and I have only heard it once in 12 years (that was during a movie showing) so you are right about the Walt theater.
Again, sorry for any confusion.

Sorry for the confusion. Cteddiesgirl specifically mentioned WDW so when you said it was strange, you had not heard that in the theater, I thought you were speaking about the same. The ladies were not in fact lying because of the fact is was at WDW. We have only been on two of the DCL ships but numerous times and I have only heard it once in 12 years (that was during a movie showing) so you are right about the Walt theater.
Again, sorry for any confusion.

Actually, I'm the one who should apologize. Since I was in the DCL frame of mind, I didn't notice she mentioned WDW. That was totally my mistake. Sorry.

In that case, I agree, the two older ladies were not lying about that rule. And it makes perfect sense that Cteddiesgirl was quoting my post about some "rule police" who inform others of the rules but refuse to follow it themselves.

I have witnessed cruisers who feel very empowered to police situations such as over 18 policy, or saved seats, which should be left to DCL,

About 6 years ago, my daughter and I were online at Serenity Bay on the lunch line. The gentleman behind us began an inquiry to see how old my daughter was. He wasn’t overly rude but I knew where he was going because our whole family looks younger than what we truly are. I just smiled and said, oh she’s a junior in college. We had a laugh about that. Even on this most recent trip the bartenders kept asking if she was at least 18 (she really looks like she is 16). She will be 28 in September.

I wanted to point out just how important this statement is. I used to be super judgey about this but then I got married. My wife has a cousin looks like a perfectly healthy, lovely young woman - very pretty, looked like there was absolutely nothing wrong with her. She's 20 years old, and has a condition that affects one of her knees. Basically the bone around the joint is almost like jello. Basically not solid at all. She has to wear a knee brace 90% of the time and is in serious pain. She has a handicap placard in her car so that she doesn't have to walk so far from the parking lot. The thing is that she has a normal looking walk - she doesn't limp or anything. So to any onlooker it looks like she borrowed grandma's car and thought "I'm going to be a jerk and park in the handicapped space just because I can". She helped me learn to stop thinking stuff like that about people parking in handicapped spaces or using those electric carts when there's nothing obviously wrong with them. People don't always wear their pain where we can see it.
I totally agree. My back is fused (I broke it) and now have hip and knee pain. A lot of walking and sitting makes it worse. I try real hard to “look” normal. Try to exercise within my limits and keep the weight down. I don’t want to stand out and look weak. To me this is just an invitation for a criminal. Most likely I am like this because of my NYC upbringing and military background. Sometimes people are shocked when I tell them “I can’t do that, my body won’t let me.”

About 6 years ago, my daughter and I were online at Serenity Bay on the lunch line. The gentleman behind us began an inquiry to see how old my daughter was. He wasn’t overly rude but I knew where he was going because our whole family looks younger than what we truly are. I just smiled and said, oh she’s a junior in college. We had a laugh about that. Even on this most recent trip the bartenders kept asking if she was at least 18 (she really looks like she is 16). She will be 28 in September.

We are a young looking family also. I went to our local grocery store to get some liquor one day a few years ago and it was a Friday night and busy. So while waiting in line the guy at the checkout was not ID'ing any of the customers(who where much younger then me). Well he asked for my ID and I was a bit surprised and said "really?" and chuckled a bit. He looked at my ID and back at me and said "wow, you are old". LOL I was 40.

Just got off the Dream last week. My two gems I witnessed personally:

1) My 6 yr old and I were the last ones in line for the cutoff to see Captain Mickey at the atrium on Night 1. The time he’s available to meet is clearly posted on the Navigator. The pleasant cast member came to stand behind us in line, converse with us with general chit-chat (“where are you from? “What did you do today?”, etc) When people attempted to join the line after the cut off, she’d simply explain in her perky cast member voice that the “line to see Mickey is complete, because he has to return to steering the ship” with an additional spiel to mention he’d be out for pictures the following day. Everyone pretty much understood and walked away except one jerk of a dad who dragged his young son (who looked to be 3 or 4 yrs old) with him in line about 10 minutes AFTER the posted end time. When the cast member told him the line was complete, he became belligerent and didn’t leave and told her to explain that to his son. When she knelt down and explained to the son, the man got angry and told the cast member, “well he didn’t understand that, and we paid a lot of money for this cruise and I’m sick of us not being able to get a turn to see Mickey, so I’m staying in this line”. At this point, he’s using very choice language, so I turned around and told him if he could please watch his language since there were some of us with young kids in line in front of him. He backed down a little, but then continued to verbally attack the cast member, who stepped away to make a phone call (presumably to security). The dad would not accept no for an answer, even when she tried to reason that his son could give a high five and walk back with Mickey as he was leaving. The cast member walked up to the photographer and the CM who was assisting him to point out that my daughter and I were the cutoff. It was awful waiting those last 5 minutes in line because the jerk dad would not shut up. I rushed my daughter to get her chance to get her autograph and take her photo with Mickey, and after she was done hugging him, Mickey hightailed it out of there. The jerk dad was pissed, but I’m glad the cast member did not back down or accommodate him since he was such an @ss. I did give the cast member a hug and told her I felt badly for her. You could never pay me enough to have the job they do to put up with entitled people like that jerk.

2) I had to walk my 11 yr old daughter to guest services to replace her key card which she lost. A couple from India was with their toddler daughter trying to request that Guest Services relax the age limitation rule for Bibbidi Boppity Bootique because she’s under 3 and can’t get a makeover. I should also mention the daughter is crawling all over the counter in the meantime. The dad is complaining loudly that their older son can get a pirate makeover, but “it’s not fair
that [our] daughter can’t get a makeover because she’s not old enough”, and that she “sees her brother getting something special and she’s upset because she can’t have a special experience” The wife proceeds to throw a tirade that “for the price we paid, we expect a certain level of service from Disney” and that the DCL was “ruining” their trip. She was full on yelling at that point and everyone within a 15 foot radius could hear her. I get that she’s upset, but as a mom of kids, I’ve always accepted that the age limitions for BBB has always been 3-12...IMHO any kid under 3 isn’t old enough to really understand what’s going on, or have the patience to sit still enough to really enjoy the experience.

I’m more annoyed that my two kids had to witness these grown adults acting like over entitled @ssholes in the general public. I get being upset, but it boggles my mind that adults who throw a temper tantrum think that helps rectify their situation. That’s *lovely parenting* right there when they have no qualms to pitch a fit or curse in front of their kids.

We are a young looking family also. I went to our local grocery store to get some liquor one day a few years ago and it was a Friday night and busy. So while waiting in line the guy at the checkout was not ID'ing any of the customers(who where much younger then me). Well he asked for my ID and I was a bit surprised and said "really?" and chuckled a bit. He looked at my ID and back at me and said "wow, you are old". LOL I was 40.

My WDW story about "looking" young was when Disney still had Pleasure Island and entrance was through a turnstile. I can't remember what time it was but I believe it must have been late afternoon. My husband walked in with my 3yr old son on his shoulder and I came directly after them, my son was even saying "Mommy" to me and before I could go through the Security/CM ask me for my ID. I was surprised...I was 31 and definitely didn't look younger than that...I took it out to show him and he took a long time looking at it...he said "fine" and told me to go...somewhat dismissive...not sure what that was about. He almost sounded disappointed that he was wrong about my age.

What was strange to me was that he asked me for ID when all I was doing was, essentially, walking into an area that had some restricted venues. If we entered any of the 19+ venues, we would be asked for ID. My husband and I don't drink. We just wanted to walk through it to see the places and it was still early so most people there were families doing the same thing as we were. If under age people were not allowed in, why were we not turned away as soon as he saw my son or why were there families there. I chalked it up to random checks...but I don't really think I look that young.

If that man is a cruiser and not a CM, he has not right, whatsoever to do that, I would complain myself, as his behaviour isn't acceptable.

Just got off the Dream last week. My two gems I witnessed personally:

1) My 6 yr old and I were the last ones in line for the cutoff to see Captain Mickey at the atrium on Night 1. The time he’s available to meet is clearly posted on the Navigator. The pleasant cast member came to stand behind us in line, converse with us with general chit-chat (“where are you from? “What did you do today?”, etc) When people attempted to join the line after the cut off, she’d simply explain in her perky cast member voice that the “line to see Mickey is complete, because he has to return to steering the ship” with an additional spiel to mention he’d be out for pictures the following day. Everyone pretty much understood and walked away except one jerk of a dad who dragged his young son (who looked to be 3 or 4 yrs old) with him in line about 10 minutes AFTER the posted end time. When the cast member told him the line was complete, he became belligerent and didn’t leave and told her to explain that to his son. When she knelt down and explained to the son, the man got angry and told the cast member, “well he didn’t understand that, and we paid a lot of money for this cruise and I’m sick of us not being able to get a turn to see Mickey, so I’m staying in this line”. At this point, he’s using very choice language, so I turned around and told him if he could please watch his language since there were some of us with young kids in line in front of him. He backed down a little, but then continued to verbally attack the cast member, who stepped away to make a phone call (presumably to security). The dad would not accept no for an answer, even when she tried to reason that his son could give a high five and walk back with Mickey as he was leaving. The cast member walked up to the photographer and the CM who was assisting him to point out that my daughter and I were the cutoff. It was awful waiting those last 5 minutes in line because the jerk dad would not shut up. I rushed my daughter to get her chance to get her autograph and take her photo with Mickey, and after she was done hugging him, Mickey hightailed it out of there. The jerk dad was pissed, but I’m glad the cast member did not back down or accommodate him since he was such an @ss. I did give the cast member a hug and told her I felt badly for her. You could never pay me enough to have the job they do to put up with entitled people like that jerk.

2) I had to walk my 11 yr old daughter to guest services to replace her key card which she lost. A couple from India was with their toddler daughter trying to request that Guest Services relax the age limitation rule for Bibbidi Boppity Bootique because she’s under 3 and can’t get a makeover. I should also mention the daughter is crawling all over the counter in the meantime. The dad is complaining loudly that their older son can get a pirate makeover, but “it’s not fair
that [our] daughter can’t get a makeover because she’s not old enough”, and that she “sees her brother getting something special and she’s upset because she can’t have a special experience” The wife proceeds to throw a tirade that “for the price we paid, we expect a certain level of service from Disney” and that the DCL was “ruining” their trip. She was full on yelling at that point and everyone within a 15 foot radius could hear her. I get that she’s upset, but as a mom of kids, I’ve always accepted that the age limitions for BBB has always been 3-12...IMHO any kid under 3 isn’t old enough to really understand what’s going on, or have the patience to sit still enough to really enjoy the experience.

I’m more annoyed that my two kids had to witness these grown adults acting like over entitled @ssholes in the general public. I get being upset, but it boggles my mind that adults who throw a temper tantrum think that helps rectify their situation. That’s *lovely parenting* right there when they have no qualms to pitch a fit or curse in front of their kids.

I've encounter parents behaving badly at WDW lots of times. After my children see such spectacles, I always speak with them about why that behaviour was unacceptable at any age. Apparently, I've been doing it several times throughout the years we've been visiting WDW, that by the time my daughter was 7 and my son was 12, they would tell me before I can say anything "Mom, we know...that behaviour is inappropriate". Sometimes, my daughter would add "I think they should apologize." And she was correct.

I just didn't want them to think that just because people, especially adults, behave that way does mean it's okay. Sadly, they seem to accept that when we go to WDW, they will see it. Now they do tend to ignore it because it seems common.

I've encounter parents behaving badly at WDW lots of times. After my children see such spectacles, I always speak with them about why that behaviour was unacceptable at any age. Apparently, I've been doing it several times throughout the years we've been visiting WDW, that by the time my daughter was 7 and my son was 12, they would tell me before I can say anything "Mom, we know...that behaviour is inappropriate". Sometimes, my daughter would add "I think they should apologize." And she was correct.

This thread is about boorish behavior and the above quotes are about concerns about the impact of such behavior on our kids, so I hope I'm not too off topic if I share something that happened recently but not on a cruise. My teen-aged sons are in a scout group and they are doing a weekly activity that is supposed to be about them talking with fellow Scouts and their ideas and beliefs. The adult facilitator of this group told us (scouts and parents) at the pre-meeting that this would be scout-led and that he would only interject to get them back on track or on time, or if someone got heated. Well, needless to say, this hasn't been the case and my sons tell me that he interjects his beliefs all the time, sometimes heatedly. This past week he spent the entire two hours going on about his ideas even though they tried to get HIM back on target.

I was worried that my sons may be susceptible to his ideas since he has a position of authority and spoke at length and with conviction and quite a bit of negativity. But they said to me something close to, "Nah, Dad, we've seen lots of people spout off like this in front of you and Mom, and we know what they are saying isn't about us, it is about them and their own fears."

So as much as I am sorry to hear any of your stories of bad behaviors when everyone is trying to have fun, know that the ways you handle these situations and the way you help your children deal with it and not get too upset about it, really will work down the road to "inoculate" them and make them more resistant to these bad attitudes.

Therefore, I suggest we all take our families on a cruise right away to get a booster shot of how to deal with Boorish Behavior!

Last edited:
I enjoyed this thread :) There are mean people everywhere, and as the bumper sticker says, "mean people suck"

We see it all the time; often, it's in front of my boy. I always use it as a "Teachable moment" by saying "see how that person acted? It wasnt very nice was it? He looked silly didnt he? Don't act like that."

My biggest challenge on DCL is the seat-saving-police. My family of three get places early - whether it's the pool, Castaway cay, or theatre, we get there to get the seats we want. Invariably, our stuff is moved from beach/pool chairs or our seats swiped in the theater if we go to the bathroom or get a drink.

I especially dont understand the pool. My son will be swimming - I get up to check on him, return, and find people in my seat or beginning to move our stuff. If I say "Excuse me, those are my seats" they say "You can't save seats!" and stomp away. We'll be watching a movie, we go get ice cream or pizza, we come back and there's people in our seats. and they ALWAYS dump our stuff in the dirty towel bins - sometimes we retrieve them, other times (last two cruises) we have to wait overnight and get my boy's crocs back from customer care. It's almost as if it's a personal mission for some people - "let's dump personal belongings in the towel bin!"

Im not sure what the answer is but I should be able to keep my prime spots, that we put the time/effort in to get, and still be able to get up and get a snack or even cool off in the pool. The problem is NOT the "Seat savers" ... the problem is the people who get upset that they didnt get there early enough to get good seats!

I wont even mention the people who arrive to sail away party or pirate night until after it starts but plop their kids down in front of mine who's been there for 30-45 mins...

So we were on the Dream a few weeks ago and after spending most of the day walking around Nassau, DW & I headed up to deck 11 for a Cove Café cuppa and a cuddle pod. Fortunately there was one open on the portside, just forward of the dividing bulkhead from the Donald Pool area. The pod forward of us was occupied by a gentleman who headed off while I was fetching caffeinated goodness for DW and I. He left behind his beer, shoes and a paperback book. Our pod had nothing on it.

A couple came striding up to us after we'd begun to savor our yummy cappuccinos insisting that we were in their spot. Surprised, I turned to DW who replied to the rather heated statement from the couple that there was nothing on our pod when we arrived, sorry. (The other couple claimed they left their towels on our pod).

The husband then stormed over to the other pod, picked up the gentlemen's things, depositing them on a table behind us by Cove Café. I was astounded and could only fish gape at DW who was wide eyed at the bold as brass behavior.

A few minutes later the gentleman returned to his (now) occupied cuddle pod where he politely informed the rude couple that they were in his seat. They shouted that since we took their pod, they were taking him. The gentleman replied that their behavior was unfair to which he received a derisive snort. Yeah, class.

He disappeared and shortly thereafter a CM arrived remonstrating with the couple that their behavior was unacceptable, entreating them to leave. They replied (again) that we'd stolen their pod, so it all rolls downhill. My shy DW then roared a bit when she politely informed the CM of the truth of the matter. At this point, I didn't want to be near them so I stood, told DW, "I don't want to be around people like this" where after we headed below to get cleaned up.

Awesome, huh? I refused to let them ruin our weekend getaway and we still had a great 3 Day cruise, but...really?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter