• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big Surprise in Room @ BCV UPDATE! 11/2

Hey, odds are that they hitchhiked in one of the previous guests' luggage, and you were the first poor unfortunate to spot them. We got the german variety in our brand spanking new, clean, clean, clean house when our newly adopted kids clothing was delivered. I should have burn't the boxes and never let them on our property.
If they were recent hitchhikers, then this is not a cleanliness issue of the BC just an unfortunate pitfall of the hotel business. Sometimes people bring bugs from home.
Regina

If these were Palmettos and just a couple I'd say que sera sera that's the price of vacationing in the warmer parts of the southeast. We live in a semi woodsy part of the Atlanta area and Palmettos come in when it rains a lot or it is very dry. We've gotten pretty good at killing them with something other than insect spray. Why? Because what kills them will hurt you too.

Given these were some other type of roach and enough of them to worry about I'dve had to have moved. I wouldn't want any hitchhiking home in my luggage. Even if that meant they'd have to give me my points back & I pay cash for some other room. Because I wouldn't want to sleep with any domesticated roaches (the kind that like to live indoors) and I wouldn't want to be in a room that has been sprayed recently with pesticide.

How disgusting. I have never seen so much as an ant at BCV and it sickens me to think of this! What a nightmare.

Cockroaches of all types can make people ill. They are extremely allergenic. In fact, allergists now offer cockroach shots (nasty to think of what they are injecting you with) because being around them can make some folks ill. This was a health issue as much as a "comfort" issue and anything less than immediate relocation was unacceptable.

My sweet cousin is a newlywed and she and her hubby had the same problem last summer at POP. Roaches were everywhere in their room... YUK. She said she picked up her can of Coke to take a sip and there was a roach in it! The exterminator was not too concerned and told them it is hard to kill the bugs because of the laws governing the pesticides they use. Maybe the roaches are making a comeback like the bedbugs are? Ugh.

Definitely Disney has had to adjust their pesticides and these critters are as much a part of Florida as the the sunshine and hard to get rid of.

Just as you can't get rid of the cold up north, everyone learns to live with bugs as a part of life. Don't like it but it's reality.

I know it seems we all make light of the situation when someone mentions bugs, but truly the only way to avoid bugs in Florida is to avoid Florida. Which is probably the reason Disney staff don't react very seriously to them, they live with them too.

Sammie says : I know it seems we all make light of the situation when someone mentions bugs, but truly the only way to avoid bugs in Florida is to avoid Florida. Which is probably the reason Disney staff don't react very seriously to them, they live with them too.
Respectfully, not sure I agree....I have stayed in FL MANY times over the past 2 decades---in all kinds of hotels/motels/timeshares (onsite and offsite). I totally accept that there are lots of bugs outdoors and an occassion 1-2 sneaks in, but I have never had "bugs " crawling over my "walls " in any place I've ever stayed ? I have had a lone 1 or 2 bugs over the years....but that's it. I have an offsite timeshare, as well as staying in many different disney resorts over the years----never experienced anything close to what the OP did. I think this particular villa or villas in that general area have a true problem that needs to be addressed. The lack of management returning her calls is another biggie. Or are we to accept the "let's just ignore the guest" mentality because it's simply a fact of life in FL ?

To walk into a room and see multiple bugs crawling over the walls is unacceptable----being in the south or not. I wouldn't expect to stay at a resort up north and have no working heat in the room---and say, "well it's cold up north. Deal with it or don't come". I would expect my room to provide heat (for lack of a better analogy).
This is just my honest feelings on the matter. I don't believe the OP went through the trouble to call management (many times) and post here on the boards for a lone bug or two in her room. I get the sense this was an out-of-the-ordinary bug situation. If disney doesn't react seriously to this complaint, then they need to rethink this. I think being in FL they need to make a more diligent effort to control what is in the rooms ? It's just too easy to say, "you're in Florida...deal with it" imho. I don't think the OP has trouble with bugs in general, but rather has trouble with multiple bugs living inside her villa with her. There's a difference.

keishashadow said:
. . . My complaint is not the roaches, per se, moreso the lackadasial response to our very pressing concern . . .

1) You got the classic "the manager is not available" answer.
2) Of course, this was hooey.
3) Twenty-four hours a day you can request the "Duty" manager.
4) Even at 4:00am "Duty" is available with about a max 20-minute notice.
5) All you have to do is ask - or insist.

One or two Palmetto Bugs sneaking in may be "reality" in Florida. We get them here in southern Indiana and if we accidentally leave the door to the deck open in July, you bet that evening there will be a giant winged roach flopping around in the living room and the two cats trying to eat him... YUK.

A roach infestation is another matter! These guys did not just mosey in from the wood mulch outside, and for every one the OP saw there were probably 5 more lurking. Plus these critters lay eggs at an alarming rate. For a manager to be "unavailable" for this issue is inexcusable... I hope OP will send a letter with details to Carly our Satisfaction Manager as well as some DVC higher-ups. This episode would have been unacceptable at a roadside Motel 6, let alone a Disney Deluxe Resort! I feel roaches are a HEALTH issue.

Perhaps DVC resorts are more prone to these issues because of all the kitchens in the buildings?

colleen costello said:
How disgusting. I have never seen so much as an ant at BCV and it sickens me to think of this! What a nightmare.

Cockroaches of all types can make people ill. They are extremely allergenic. In fact, allergists now offer cockroach shots (nasty to think of what they are injecting you with) because being around them can make some folks ill. This was a health issue as much as a "comfort" issue and anything less than immediate relocation was unacceptable.

My sweet cousin is a newlywed and she and her hubby had the same problem last summer at POP. Roaches were everywhere in their room... YUK. She said she picked up her can of Coke to take a sip and there was a roach in it! The exterminator was not too concerned and told them it is hard to kill the bugs because of the laws governing the pesticides they use. Maybe the roaches are making a comeback like the bedbugs are? Ugh.

Awful to even think of...your poor cousin!

After reading this post, I got to thinking...didn't make an initial connection (not sure I do @ this point either) but, youngest DS needed a trip to pediatrician on Friday for a persistent cough he developed during stay.

He was put on inhaler (which he didn't need for few years - exercise induced asthma) & steriod spray as well as Singular; needs to see an allergist too.

Not sure what caused flare-up (normal circumstances, spraying, bug allergy - whatever - just hope it disappears soon); guess it's just a crappy footnote.:confused3

keishashadow said:
Awful to even think of...your poor cousin!

After reading this post, I got to thinking...didn't make an initial connection (not sure I do @ this point either) but, youngest DS needed a trip to pediatrician on Friday for a persistent cough he developed during stay.

He was put on inhaler (which he didn't need for few years - exercise induced asthma) & steriod spray as well as Singular; needs to see an allergist too.

Not sure what caused flare-up (normal circumstances, spraying, bug allergy - whatever - just hope it disappears soon); guess it's just a crappy footnote.:confused3

Hope he feels better soon. The spraying can definitely upset asthma, I have activity induced too and have to be really careful around inhalants. Airplane air is the pits too, if you flew down.

MiaSRN62 said:
Respectfully, not sure I agree....I have stayed in FL MANY times over the past 2 decades---in all kinds of hotels/motels/timeshares (onsite and offsite). I totally accept that there are lots of bugs outdoors and an occassion 1-2 sneaks in, but I have never had "bugs " crawling over my "walls " in any place I've ever stayed ? I have had a lone 1 or 2 bugs over the years....but that's it. I have an offsite timeshare, as well as staying in many different disney resorts over the years----never experienced anything close to what the OP did. I think this particular villa or villas in that general area have a true problem that needs to be addressed. The lack of management returning her calls is another biggie. Or are we to accept the "let's just ignore the guest" mentality because it's simply a fact of life in FL ?

To walk into a room and see multiple bugs crawling over the walls is unacceptable----being in the south or not. I wouldn't expect to stay at a resort up north and have no working heat in the room---and say, "well it's cold up north. Deal with it or don't come". I would expect my room to provide heat (for lack of a better analogy).
This is just my honest feelings on the matter. I don't believe the OP went through the trouble to call management (many times) and post here on the boards for a lone bug or two in her room. I get the sense this was an out-of-the-ordinary bug situation. If disney doesn't react seriously to this complaint, then they need to rethink this. I think being in FL they need to make a more diligent effort to control what is in the rooms ? It's just too easy to say, "you're in Florida...deal with it" imho. I don't think the OP has trouble with bugs in general, but rather has trouble with multiple bugs living inside her villa with her. There's a difference.

You know I am not sure at times we are all reading the same comments, does your version read different from what I read when I posted or is it just interpretation. Because your comments have nothing to do with my point.

I have agreed that the OP has a legitimate complaint about the lack of response, whether it was 2 bugs, 3 bugs or more. And what is an infestation to some is a couple of bugs to others. I don't think the OP stated how many bugs.

I am not saying this of the OP, because I don't think she over reacted but many guests do. They see a couple of bugs and the room is literally being over run. My point was a few bugs while not desirable is not a big deal to those of us who live with them. Yes Disney should respond but at times I think some, not the OP, expect them to be alarmed by this. They are not. That was my point. As someone else pointed out a previous guest or maid probably left the patio door open and some came in. Unless everyone had many, many bugs in the unit, we in the South do not consider that infestation.

I was trying to educate others as to how it is, but obviously facts are not what we are looking for.

Sammie said:
Hope he feels better soon. The spraying can definitely upset asthma, I have activity induced too and have to be really careful around inhalants. Airplane air is the pits too, if you flew down.
thanks, never thought about the airplane trip... he seems to be feeling alot better from just taking the Rx for a day.:banana:

Sammie says : You know I am not sure at times we are all reading the same comments, does your version read different from what I read when I posted or is it just interpretation. Because your comments have nothing to do with my point.
Sorry Sammie.....
I was responding to your statement :
Sammie says :
everyone learns to live with bugs as a part of life. Don't like it but it's reality.
I know it seems we all make light of the situation when someone mentions bugs, but truly the only way to avoid bugs in Florida is to avoid Florida. Which is probably the reason Disney staff don't react very seriously to them, they live with them too.
I felt I responded appropriately to the topic being discussed. Sorry if you didn't understand what I was saying.

Deb & Bill said:
How much you want to bet that someone left the patio door open to watch the fireworks (probably before you checked into the room) and the roach flew in. This is FL, folks, lots of water bugs/palmetto bugs/roaches. Heck, they were around in the days of the dinosaurs and outlived them.

It's not that big of a deal. Just swat it with a newpaper or magazine or hit it with your shoe. Then vacuum it up. We wind up sucking them up in our vacuum when we see them in our house. We live in Louisiana.

You find them at OKW, SSR, BWV, VWL, GF, YC, BC, Pop, POR, POFQ, etc. They are all over the place. And it's not a cleanliness issue.

I hate to skeeve anyone out but crushing them can spread the female eggs to your shoe and then wherever your shoe travels can deposit the eggs. I have been told not to step on a roach if you see one.....ever.

3DisneyNUTS said:
I hate to skeeve anyone out but crushing them can spread the female eggs to your shoe and then wherever your shoe travels can deposit the eggs. I have been told not to step on a roach if you see one.....ever.

The above advice is correct.

The only way to kill a female cockroach is to eat them, :thumbsup2

alive and whole. :sunny:

That will *NOT* scatter her eggs at all!

-Tony

greenban said:
The above advice is correct.

The only way to kill a female cockroach is to eat them, :thumbsup2

alive and whole. :sunny:

That will *NOT* scatter her eggs at all!

-Tony

I've had lots of experience battling them in Fla apts over the years. AND we lived in a duplex once with Indian neighbors who were not real clean by Western standards AND they were Hindus so they didn't believe in killing roaches. They were great people and made great curry -- but they had roaches all over the kitchen (and a Hindu shrine in the bedroom). And it didn't bother them one bit.

Garbage disposals work well.

You can tell if a cockroach has eggs. The sack sticks out the hind end before they drop it.

You can also tell if a place really has a problem. The droppings are easy to spot. They look like poppy seeds and you can see em in drawers and cabinets.

Boric acid is the most effective treatment I ever found. One treatment lasts months and even works if your apt neighbors are slobs or Hindu.

(No offense if anyone out there is Hindu. They probably thought we were anal clean freaks.)

OneMoreTry said:
I've had lots of experience battling them in Fla apts over the years. AND we lived in a duplex once with Indian neighbors who were not real clean by Western standards AND they were Hindus so they didn't believe in killing roaches. They were great people and made great curry -- but they had roaches all over the kitchen (and a Hindu shrine in the bedroom). And it didn't bother them one bit.

Garbage disposals work well.

You can tell if a cockroach has eggs. The sack sticks out the hind end before they drop it.

You can also tell if a place really has a problem. The droppings are easy to spot. They look like poppy seeds and you can see em in drawers and cabinets.

Boric acid is the most effective treatment I ever found. One treatment lasts months and even works if your apt neighbors are slobs or Hindu.

(No offense if anyone out there is Hindu. They probably thought we were anal clean freaks.)
Knew that boric acid was poisonous to cats, did a search & look what I found...
www.earthfriendlygoods.com/pages/BoricAcidinMattresses.php

site is tempermental, if it doesn't load by clicking on link, search for it.

So is it a good thing or a bad thing? guess it depends how much you value a bug-free bed over a health risks, not sure I appreciate the legislation getting invoved in yet another factor of our lives.

keishashadow said:
Knew that boric acid was poisonous to cats, did a search & look what I found...
www.earthfriendlygoods.com/pages/BoricAcidinMattresses.php

site is tempermental, if it doesn't load by clicking on link, search for it.

So is it a good thing or a bad thing? guess it depends how much you value a bug-free bed over a health risks, not sure I appreciate the legislation getting invoved in yet another factor of our lives.

[This post is not meant to excuse WDW in any way. Just a note on my experience with boric acid. I don't think DVC should use the stuff.]

Do you think it's more dangerous than the other stuff they spray for bugs? I doubt it.

When I used it, I treated my apartment once, and it lasted a year. Sprinkled a little in out-of-the-way corners. Never got near it. Never had a pet or kids in those days -- and wouldn't have used it if I did.

I tend to shy away from any pesticide, even in those days. But the situation was extreme: Schucht Village on UofF campus. Saw 50-100 roaches daily. Always had a swatter when I turned on the lights or the toaster (would get 4 or 5 each time -- you oughtta see em run when it gets hot). Woke up a couple times with them ON ME. Nothing else was working. Put down boric acid and saw only about 5 the rest of the year. Unbelievable change.

Personally, I would rather have a couple bugs than any type of pesticide. But hundreds of roaches -- I don't think so.

Admit that I used it too many years ago, sprinkled outside of doorways, read that it kept ants @ bay.

It's a trade-off, for sure, just would like the safest; not necessarily the "easiest/cheapest" for the hotel to use in pest control. Necessary evil to spray in FL due to nature of the beast, far better than the alternative of an infestation.
Just shocked that they're planning to coat mattresses with this substance to make them fireproof and hope that the public is widely advised of same. Bad enough that we're exposed to spraying, would like to think it disipates before we enter the room. However, IMO, coating mattresses with a pesticide (that your body can easily come in contact) is a bad call.

To quote the site: "There are no safe pesticides, only safe use. Respected doctors agree: Boric Acid in the surface of mattresses is not safe use". Pretty clear IMO.

keishashadow said:
.... However, IMO, coating mattresses with a pesticide (that your body can easily come in contact) is a bad call.

No argument there. Agree 100%. The mattresses should be labeled and buyers should have the option to buy an uncoated mattress.

I'm 100% convinced my mom's cancer was caused by a pesticide: chlordane. She used to spread it around the house to keep bugs out. It's off the market now.

OneMoreTry said:
No argument there. Agree 100%. The mattresses should be labeled and buyers should have the option to buy an uncoated mattress.

I'm 100% convinced my mom's cancer was caused by a pesticide: chlordane. She used to spread it around the house to keep bugs out. It's off the market now.

sorry to hear that, best wishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter