• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big Surprise in Room @ BCV UPDATE! 11/2

Thank you Sammie. :) We just got back from our trip and was originally placed in a 5th floor studio at BCV. We did not have any bug problems but had a water issue. The area under the sink was soaking wet. Housekeeping came and said I should call the front desk immediately and ask the manager to be moved before they ran out of rooms (last week was the golf tournament). We could not see any leaking from the pipes and engineering was called. I remembered Sammie's post about a call to the front desk going to the call center so I went down in person. Thank you Sammie for your post. It took about three trips down to the front desk but everything was resolved to my satisfaction and much quicker than if I would have called. We had to be moved to the Beach Club since there were no more rooms at the Villas but our room was very convenient on the first floor near the marketplace. I tried to call the front desk after I got settled in for them to pick up a gift bag that was meant for another guest but after being put on hold for a long time I just walked it up myself. Does anyone know the best way to send a thank you to the manager at the Beach Club?

nisiemouse said:
Thank you Sammie. :) We just got back from our trip and was originally placed in a 5th floor studio at BCV. We did not have any bug problems but had a water issue. The area under the sink was soaking wet. .....

We had a similar issue at BCV several years ago -- when it had first opened. On first arrival to our 2BR, there was water on the kitchen floor extending to the carpet, which was soaked. It had obviously come from the dishwasher. I used the housekeeping or engineering button on the phone -- I forget which. Someone was there in TEN, I kid you not TEN, minutes and the whole thing was fixed and vacuumed and scrubbed within a couple hours, which we spent at SAB.

OneMoreTry said:
These were not palmetto bugs -- too small. They were German cockroaches. Spraying a room once does not get rid of them very well -- they live in the walls and simply send out more troops. If you see them, then the building usually has a big problem.
I'm going to have nightmares tonight about roaches in the walls, I just know it. You're right of course, it isn't just the one room but the whole building that probably has roaches. Bleech!

I HATE bugs of all kinds and have an exterminator treat our house regularly, even though we live in the cold midwest. What the exterminator misses, my husband is reponsible for killing in our home. A hotel room with bugs? No way, not in my lifetime.

Deb & Bill said:
How much you want to bet that someone left the patio door open to watch the fireworks (probably before you checked into the room) and the roach flew in. This is FL, folks, lots of water bugs/palmetto bugs/roaches. Heck, they were around in the days of the dinosaurs and outlived them.

It's not that big of a deal. Just swat it with a newpaper or magazine or hit it with your shoe. Then vacuum it up. We wind up sucking them up in our vacuum when we see them in our house. We live in Louisiana.

You find them at OKW, SSR, BWV, VWL, GF, YC, BC, Pop, POR, POFQ, etc. They are all over the place. And it's not a cleanliness issue.

You may live in Louisiana and not care about bugs. I live in the north where we DON'T have such critters around and would never consider living in a southern state that didn't have a winter freeze to kill off bugs.

Bugs are NOT acceptable, even if southerners seem to think living with them is okay. Bleech.

Inkmahm said:
You may live in Louisiana and not care about bugs. I live in the north where we DON'T have such critters around and would never consider living in a southern state that didn't have a winter freeze to kill off bugs.

Bugs are NOT acceptable, even if southerners seem to think living with them is okay. Bleech.

umm, cockroaches have been around since life has crawled out of the ocean, a frost does absolutely nothing to those babies...

I do agree 100%, bugs are NOT acceptable & poor customer service isn't either;) .

Got a survey from the Beach Club today, can't wait to fill it out.

Inkmahm said:
I'm going to have nightmares tonight about roaches in the walls, I just know it. You're right of course, it isn't just the one room but the whole building that probably has roaches. Bleech!

I think the OP determined based on internet pictures they weren't actually German cockroaches. So maybe they had flown in. Think happy thoughts. :wizard:

3DisneyNUTS said:
I hate to skeeve anyone out but crushing them can spread the female eggs to your shoe and then wherever your shoe travels can deposit the eggs. I have been told not to step on a roach if you see one.....ever.

UGGHGH! Now I am really grossed out, and scared of having a similar experience becauseI would freak out!

Sammie said:
Definitely deal with the situation at the Front Desk. As I posted calls go to the Call Center. Not a good place for getting messages to the right people. No excuse, but one can't blame a manager for not calling you back if they don't get a message.

Dealing with someone face to face and actually letting them see the problem is always best. Sadly some people will make up issues hoping for compensation.

Therefore the best course is let the manager see the bugs. That way they can't say latter when they go to spray the room, they did not see any. Well of course not, as by then they were all taken care of.

Agree with Sammie here.

A while back we had a problem at POR. We called and called and they said the problem was resolved. I went down to the front desk and asked the night manager to come back to my room to check himself. He was quite upset that he was told the problem was corrected when it had not been.

He apologized and took care of us.

You should not have been blown off as you did. Things happen sometimes I agree, but at Disney prices they should be taken care of immediately.

Pleased to report that I received a phone call this afternoon from the Executive Offices @ WDW as to my letter of complaint that detailed our recent experience @ the BCV.

They were in absolute agreement that management dropped the ball on this one & they are in the process of tracing it...back down the chain to the point of origin.

Interestingly, they did have notes in the hotel records of my numerous calls to different depts & my requests (as to calling me on my cell phone with info during the period in question...it was the number on which I received the return call).

They were very apologetic & assured me that this isn't their new level of service but, a horrible fluke that will be investigated & remedied.

They were quite surprised that my anger wasn't directed to the roaches, per se...just management's & housekeeping's response.

Hope this will prevent another DVCer from getting such a brush-off if such a bump in the road arises.

keishashadow said:
They were quite surprised that my anger wasn't directed to the roaches, per se...just management's & housekeeping's response.

I am surprised and disappointed that they were surprised! :sad2:

nisiemouse said:
Thank you Sammie. :) We just got back from our trip and was originally placed in a 5th floor studio at BCV. We did not have any bug problems but had a water issue. The area under the sink was soaking wet. Housekeeping came and said I should call the front desk immediately and ask the manager to be moved before they ran out of rooms (last week was the golf tournament). We could not see any leaking from the pipes and engineering was called. I remembered Sammie's post about a call to the front desk going to the call center so I went down in person. Thank you Sammie for your post. It took about three trips down to the front desk but everything was resolved to my satisfaction and much quicker than if I would have called. We had to be moved to the Beach Club since there were no more rooms at the Villas but our room was very convenient on the first floor near the marketplace. I tried to call the front desk after I got settled in for them to pick up a gift bag that was meant for another guest but after being put on hold for a long time I just walked it up myself. Does anyone know the best way to send a thank you to the manager at the Beach Club?

Just write your Thanks to:
Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Just put in your note, who you would like to thank, etc and they will forward it to the appropriate staff.

lisareniff said:
I am surprised and disappointed that they were surprised! :sad2:

I would take that to mean they thought she would be upset about the fact that there were roaches "and" the lack of contacting her over it.

keishashadow said:
They were quite surprised that my anger wasn't directed to the roaches
:lmao:

Just got back from my weeklong trip and surprised to see this thread is still going. No bugs at BWV this week :thumbsup2

I'm very happy to hear that you received a personal response from someone at Disney and that the issue is being addressed.

Thank for you taking the time to send a letter of complaint. As another DVC family, we appreciate it. :)

Perhaps the fact that you also shared the situation here and this thread is 7 pages long publicly outlining not only the bug problem but the BCV lack of response also helped in some way to get the issue into the proper hands to remedy.

So thanks for braving the potential firestorm to get it resolved. Let's hope that your efforts have at least remedied the careless handling of the issue. :)

I'm also happy to report that we saw no bugs at OKW last week in either one of our room assignments.

I also want to thank Sammie for the advice as well. I reported a broken TV door in person to the HH front desk and it was fixed in very short order. :)

Inkmahm said:

Um, I don't think that anyone on this thread, particularly anyone who said or implied that people who live in the south are okay with bugs crawling all over our homes, is qualified to make a statement on behalf of all southerners. Along the same lines, please don't attribute others' comments, or your characterization of them, to everyone in the south. I will offer the same courtesy to those in the north who may not feel the same as you do even though you seem to take the royal "we" in speaking on their behalf.

BTW, I didn't realize that in the north all bugs die every winter. :rolleyes:

Next window, please. . .

keishashadow said:
umm, cockroaches have been around since life has crawled out of the ocean, a frost does absolutely nothing to those babies...

Sad, but true. :rotfl:

As I said much earlier, your perspective on the whole affair was unique and most of us wouldn't have had the same restraint.

Score one for a DVC member vs the DVC Corporation.

Well done. :thumbsup2

keishashadow said:
Pleased to report that I received a phone call this afternoon from the Executive Offices @ WDW as to my letter of complaint that detailed our recent experience @ the BCV.

Does this mean the call did not come from DVC management? I'm a little confused :confused3 , as I would think this problem would not fall under the jurisdiction of "the Executive Offices @ WDW." I'm not questioning your post. I want to understand how the incident came to their attention.

Thanks for reporting back Keishashadow. I bet they were suprised your anger was not aimed toward the roaches necessarily----this would be the natural reaction toward finding multiple bugs in your room. Hoping your complaint and their follow-up leads toward better customer service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter