Best Time to Shop for Christmas?

I was looking for the extended returns on Amazon's site and didn't see it. I checked the FAQs and found this:
"You may return most new, unopened items sold and fulfilled by Amazon within 30 days of delivery. During the holidays, items shipped by Amazon between November 1st and December 31st can be returned until January 31st."

I've been holding off on a few things and they keep going up in price.

be forewarned-amazon has NOT posted this policy on their website. i just spent time on chat with one of their reps who would only commit to the traditional 30 day window b/c the only extended return language on the site only speaks to 2020. target's website DOES speak to the extended period so anything i'm set on getting and don't want to chance waiting for i'll turn to target.

I was looking for the extended returns on Amazon's site and didn't see it. I checked the FAQs and found this:
"You may return most new, unopened items sold and fulfilled by Amazon within 30 days of delivery. During the holidays, items shipped by Amazon between November 1st and December 31st can be returned until January 31st."

I've been holding off on a few things and they keep going up in price.

Nov 1 is the "normal" start of the extended holiday return policy. Last year they started it Oct 1, and this year it looks like they are doing the same: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/t/amazon-extended-holiday-returns-policy-holiday-2021/906550. The original announcement that started that thread was posted by the official Amazon account.

If I remember right, they were really low key rolling it out last year, in a similar manner to the post above.

Everything I purchased today was from 3rd party sellers, although I can't imagine Amazon will not follow the same policy for items sold by themselves. I will just refer to that post if there are any issues.

Last edited:
I'm officially done as of today and glad. My husband... kids.. parents.. inlaws.. coworkers.. boss
friends.. neighbors heck even cheer gymnastic and dance coaches. I wrapped everything and taking
it to my brother's tomorrow to hold in his spare bedroom.

I have to admit i had several leftover gifts for people i didnt see last year because of Covid that are
getting it this year. Most of all my shopping is on Amazon and i found from experience the last
several years that from October on they can be sketchy. As in lost packages or wrong items sent.
I assume because increasing holiday sales. Last November I ordered a holiday display that never
came and i forgot to follow up and get a refund (because of everything goin on). Imagine my
surprise when a big box arrived in MAY with the display. lol

I will say that as someone who has seen the crazy world of container shipping, buy your gifts as early as possible. There are a lot of supply chain issues that can easily screw over any retailer at anytime. With the exception of a few retailers leasing ships, everyone else will likely see problems or very high costs.

here’s an example of how bad things are. https://gcaptain.com/costco-charters-smaller-containerships-to-combat-ocean-supply-chain-issues/

I appreciate the comment! I was wondering if retailers were creating demand or if the concerns were legitimate.

I am definitely seeing shortages on the food side. I shop for Shipt part time and yesterday at Target was a disaster. So much out of stock.

I appreciate the comment! I was wondering if retailers were creating demand or if the concerns were legitimate.
This is one item (haven't really seen many but just an example) from Costco. They have their savings going on but at least 1 item didn't make it in time. If I go to their website this is what I see:

I have way too many jackets already so I'm not in the market for it but I just happened to notice it when looking online

I am definitely seeing shortages on the food side. I shop for Shipt part time and yesterday at Target was a disaster. So much out of stock.

Grocery shopping these days feels like a crapshoot...I go in with backup plans for meals, in case something I am looking for is out of stock. Inevitably, something is. And not obscure stuff - basic stuff. It seems like Sam's Club is out of boneless chicken breast more days than they have it. And their vegetable department some days has next to nothing. My regular grocery is a bit better, but even they are out of some cuts of meat and certain vegetables depending on the day.

And don't get me started on the cost of beef....

Walmart is offering sign on bonuses for experienced drivers from 8000. to 12000. to try to move product. Ships full of containers are waiting at docks all over USA waiting to be unloaded. I would start shopping now for Christmas.

Nov 1 is the "normal" start of the extended holiday return policy. Last year they started it Oct 1, and this year it looks like they are doing the same: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/t/amazon-extended-holiday-returns-policy-holiday-2021/906550. The original announcement that started that thread was posted by the official Amazon account.

If I remember right, they were really low key rolling it out last year, in a similar manner to the post above.

Everything I purchased today was from 3rd party sellers, although I can't imagine Amazon will not follow the same policy for items sold by themselves. I will just refer to that post if there are any issues.

amazon must have gotten sick of all the people-myself included-who have complained over the past few days about how they've publicly promoted that return policy and been sending out email blasts to prime members encouraging us to shop early for christmas-but not showing the return eligible dates as anything beyond (as of yesterday) november 4th. they've done some systems tweaking and have retroactively changed the return date on customer accounts for items purchased on/after october 1st to january 31st. now i feel more confident to shop with them for christmas.

Glad to see everyone is doing shopping early I am somewhat done atleast for my younger DD my older DD not so much still looking for ideas..

Got my Christmas shopping done already and was proud of myself but now I’m second guessing myself because I didn’t realize the return policy was something that needed to be seriously considered when making purchases.

Got my Christmas shopping done already and was proud of myself but now I’m second guessing myself because I didn’t realize the return policy was something that needed to be seriously considered when making purchases.

I know what you mean! The only things I have bought so far are from Costco. I'm watching for a deal on some earrings dd19. They are made at the time of order and shipping takes 14 days. Good grief!

Already seeing issues with electronics. Took advantage of the gift card deal at Target last week knowing that I wanted to get him an ipad. Have not been able to catch one on stock.

Already seeing issues with electronics. Took advantage of the gift card deal at Target last week knowing that I wanted to get him an ipad. Have not been able to catch one on stock.

have you tried the thing with target where you can request an alert when an item is back in stock? i was looking at something but it was sold out, clicked the 'alert me' button and got notified the next day when, for a heartbeat, they had a few available for online purchase.

have you tried the thing with target where you can request an alert when an item is back in stock? i was looking at something but it was sold out, clicked the 'alert me' button and got notified the next day when, for a heartbeat, they had a few available for online purchase.
Yes thanks I have alerts set up. Of course they come in the middle of the night when I am asleep. I may just end up ordering one elsewhere. I do purchasing for our school district and just had to put in an order for one today from Apple. Lead time is 7-9 weeks. I shop at Target weekly so the gift cards won't go to waste.

I went grocery shopping yesterday, and it was worse than ever. Things like canned vegetables and vanilla completely out of stock. Several other items my preferred brands were out, but at least there were other (=more expensive) brands available. And apparently if I want to eat steak these days, I have to take out a second mortgage...

Forget gifts, I'm starting to think I need to start early buying the food for Thanksgiving dinner!

I usually start the day after Christmas for the next year, lol!

We have really cut back in the last few years. It just got to the point where I was buying for everybody under the sun because I felt obligated to. A few years ago DH got sick and we couldn't afford it, so I said enough was enough and am so grateful I did. I remember someone here posted a thread about being tired of buying gifts for people they never see and I thought "Hey, me too!" So our list is simpler now. We buy for:

DS (4)
Our Grandmas
DH Parents/ My Mom
Secret Santa for Siblings/ Siblings in Law on DH's side (I'm an only child so no need there!)
My cousin's 2 daughters, ages 7 and 5, who I treat as nieces.
2 year old niece on my husband's side.
Godson and his sister (Ages 10 and 4). I have a goddaughter too, but I almost never hear from them anymore so I'm still debating what to do there. If I do it'll be something small. I sort of get the feeling they are trying to cut down on gifting and holiday spending, and I want to respect that. I don't want to get something and then make them feel like they have to do the same for DS.
1 Friend and I usually pick up something small ($10 or less) for her 11 year old twins.

That's it. This year I will also be getting something for DS's Preschool teacher. I need to go to Pinterest for ideas, but I know she 100% funds her own classroom (which is based out of her home) so I'm thinking of getting some supplies I know they use a lot and arranging them in a cute way. Maybe a dry erase marker bouquet or something like that. I'm not very crafty so it needs to be easy, lol.

I've got a good bit for DS. His birthday is right after Thanksgiving so I have the expense of that and his party, too. He's had a few requests but nothing major, and I've compiled those into a list for grandparents and other family to give them some ideas. Anything they don't get I'll try to pick up, but I got him a Playmobil Zamboni, Hotwheels, several books... and his first video game! It's a Paw Patrol PS4 game. I can't remember everything else but I decided I'm going to go lighter on Christmas from now on since his birthday is so close, and make a bit of a bigger deal out of Easter so that he gets some things spread out a bit.

For his birthday, we are taking him to Great Wolf Lodge. I'm sure the Elf will bring his hotwheels advent calendar there if I ask nicely since we will be there when it begins, and DH and I will wrap up something to give him from us the morning of his birthday. I'm thinking maybe an RC car or something without a lot of little parts since he'll be getting it away from home.

I got our 2 year old niece a baby shark craft kit from Amazon Warehouse Deals and 2 winter outfits since she lives up north. Found those on clearance at Children's Place over the summer. I think starting next year I'll ask SIL for her list and get something she asks for since she'll be old enough for requests by then.

My nieces are coming to Disney Thanksgiving weekend for the first time, so I got them each hand sanitizer holders shaped like mermaid fins from Bath and Body and will get them each 2 holiday hand sanitizers for their park bags. Then I'm getting them each a craft kit since they like arts and crafts now.

Got my friend some Disney things since they'll also be going to WDW around Christmas. Not getting more specific than that since she frequents these boards as well from time to time! Her twins are each getting a Disney drawstring bag filled with goodies for the road trip and a Disney Keychain.

I'm anxiously waiting for my Godson and his sister to finish their wish lists. Their mom usually uses Target's Holiday and Birthday wish lists for them, which I love as I know i'm getting something they've requested and I can send it right to them. Plus it marks items off like a wedding or baby registry so it cuts down on duplicate gifts. I'm probably going to order their gifts ASAP and ship them to their mom to hide since they're predicting so many shortages this year.

We are taking a Disney cruise in January so i think DH and I will just do stockings this year. I may get him a few things if he wants but I'm telling him just a few stocking stuffers for me and I'll save my $$ to buy a souvenir or do something fun on the ship.

Looking for sentimental gifts for our parents and grandmas from DS. he has TBall photos this weekend so maybe I'll get pics printed and framed or a statuette or something. I need to look at the order form and see what they're offering.

I'm not as ahead as usual this year but I'm ok with that. I always get amazing ideas from ya'll with these threads so keep the inspiration coming!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter