Anyone use the new Universal Credit card?

Chi35364

Earning My Ears
I know it's very new, but has anyone had a chance to use the new Universal Visa credit card?

I was looking through the benefits and 1 CAUGHT my eye immediately, both for the $0 fee and $99/yr fee version.

10% off select merchandise, food and beverage purchases at select locations throughout Universal theme parks and Universal CityWalk in Orlando and Hollywood.³
AND 2% Back in Rewards on Universal purchases**

Is there a list of vendors included/excluded?

the 10% seems nice, especially since Seasonal and Power are not entitled to the current 10% discounts.

I wonder if one had a Preferred AP, with your 10%discount + another 10% if charged to the Universal visa. that's 20% off?

10% discount:
"Offer subject to availability and to change without notice and cannot be combined with any other offers, promotions, discounts, or prior purchases."
Not surprising on that one.

I haven't been able to find a list of included restaurants- figuring it must be all Universal owned restaurants and probably any City Walk restaurants that offer AP discounts.

I read it as one or the other for the 10% discount. Not able to be combined. The Pass discount 10% off is a button option the cashier has to push on the register screen. I would think the Visa card 10% would be the same (not automatic) so the registers will be programmed to accept/recognize only one discount.

We are definitely interested in getting the Universal visa even if the rewards and perks are not as good as our regular card and we just use it onsite (this is how we use the Disney visa)

Yes, I'm also looking at getting the freebie version just to use onsite for the 10% discounts - waiting until I'm within a month of the trip so I will qualify for the bonus $50 offer just through using it at Universal. I don't see it being worthwhile for the paid version, but 10% off more or less all meals/merch at Universal for a no fee credit card should work out nicely.

Reactions: AJA

Here is what I found on the terms and conditions regarding the 10% off food/merch. I was thinking it was like most credit cards that give you discount on your CC statement if you purchsae from certain merchants. Appears you have to REMEMBER to tell the person working counter, so not automatic process.

10% off select merchandise, food and beverage purchases at select locations throughout Universal theme parks and Universal CityWalk in Orlando and Hollywood.³

To receive the discount, you must mention the 10% discount and use your Universal Rewards Plus or Universal Rewards Visa Signature Card for the purchase. Mobile orders are excluded, and additional exclusions and restrictions may apply.4

All dining discounts apply to food and non-alcoholic beverages except where noted. Discounts not valid on gift cards, online purchases, mobile food and drinks orders, Tapu Tapu, carnival games, special events, holiday dining, alcoholic beverages, film, collectibles and Nintendo and other specialty or limited-edition merchandise; excludes gratuity and tax. Offer subject to availability and to change without notice and cannot be combined with any other offers, promotions, discounts, or prior purchases. Additional exclusions and restrictions may apply

uuugh , why MOBILE ORDER excluded.

FYI, anyone hear about new Visa lounge?
Coming soon, Universal Rewards Plus Visa Signature cardholders can also enjoy access to the Visa lounge inside Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Studios Florida

Does anyone know if they have a place to sign up for the Visa Credit card located in CityWalk? A location in CityWalk used to offer extra perks to sign up when Universal worked in conjunction with the American Express Blue card.

Yes, I'm also looking at getting the freebie version just to use onsite for the 10% discounts - waiting until I'm within a month of the trip so I will qualify for the bonus $50 offer just through using it at Universal. I don't see it being worthwhile for the paid version, but 10% off more or less all meals/merch at Universal for a no fee credit card should work out nicely.
Be careful and don’t cut it too close. It took over a month to get my card. It came on the day we left, so it’s home and I’m at Universal with no card. Since you must use the card and ask for the discount it’s of no use. Connecting it to paypal won’t work. They said it was mailed 1st class from Omaha on Dec. 27. It arrived Jan.8 In Maryland.

Got the credit card and am here now - tried to use it for Cinnabon breakfast this morning and no one there had ever heard of it or knew how to process the discount. Both Cinnabon locations are listed as participating. They ended up adding a different discount because they couldn't figure out how to do the CC discount, but it was needlessly time consuming and frustrating.

I get that the credit card is new but it seems Universal rolled it out before they were ready to do so, if they didn't let the front line employees know about it.

The discount should have been automatic and just a credit to your statement, just like every other card does.

Without that I would not bother - I don't want to have to remember to tell them about the discount - then you have to deal with people who have no idea what you are talking about as @CAPSLOCK ran into.

That said - IF they had a decent lounge then I may change my mind, but I don't expect much from it tbh.

Thunder Falls hadn't heard of it but figured it out on his own at the register.
Also that food is really good!

Curious. Has anyone tried to use 10% discount at Mardi Gras booth? I plan on getting Mardi Gras 120$ f&b card but when buying food I I’m wondering if they will honer Visa card similar to APH discount.

I am pretty sure you won't be able to combine, or use at the Mardi Gras booths.
1 - CC states you must show and pay with the CC (and thus not the discounted gift card)
2 - Mardi Gras booths are not on the CC participating venue list

But if you find out you can combine with the Mardi Gras gift card, do come back & share because I got a few of the GCs yesterday for the next trip...

We just came back from our trip using the new Universal Visa card. It was borderline a nightmare to use the 10% since it's so NEW.

Universal definitely needs to work on training their employees on how to process the discount. 90% of them did not know how to process the discount. Some team members vaguely remembered the card that was announced to them via an email. So poor launch for sure.

Many had to involve their managers to figure out, which of course frustrated people behind due to holding up the line. By day 3 I actually was instructing the team members where to go on the POS system to apply the discount. We noticed many of the times team members didn't know where to apply the discount so we were given a 15% Comcast discount which I wasn't complaining about.

It's a shame that the card doens't provide the discount on the backend like almost ALL CCs do. If you buy from certain merchants it gives you 10% on your billing statement. I'm sure they had the option to do this but choose otherwise to make redemption an obstical.

There is supposed to be a new Visa Signature Lounge built at the parks not sure when it will be ready. Hopefully it's nice, and also hoping for some Epic universe perk as cardholder.

Last edited:
We just came back from our trip using the new Universal Visa card. It was borderline a nightmare to use the 10% since it's so NEW.

Universal definitely needs to work on training their employees on how to process the discount. 90% of them did not know how to process the discount. Some team members vaguely remembered the card that was announced to them via an email. So poor launch for sure.

Many had to involve their managers to figure out, which of course frustrated people behind due to holding up the line. By day 3 I actually was instructing the team members where to go on the POS system to apply the discount. We noticed many of the times team members didn't know where to apply the discount so we were given a 15% Comcast discount which I wasn't complaining about.

It's a shame that the card doens't provide the discount on the backend like almost ALL CCs do. If you buy from certain merchants it gives you 10% on your billing statement. I'm sure they had the option to do this but choose otherwise to make redemption an obstical.

There is supposed to be a new Visa Signature Lounge built at the parks not sure when it will be ready. Hopefully it's nice, and also hoping for some Epic universe perk as cardholder.
Could you give the instructions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter