Best Time to Shop for Christmas?

I hadn't thought of a game possibly not working. Won't they exchange it if it's defective?

most places only have a very short window for opened games (some as little as 72 hours) and since the only way you can tell if it's defective is to open it then you have to wait for the more generous return periods on electronics (i wait until gamestop starts their holiday return period but i always have to verify ahead of time that corporate has done it for both in-store and online b/c they don't always start on the same day).

i've gotten a few items just b/c i've seen them and they aren't things prone to return. september will be one of the months i stock up on a few 'essentials' for our family's christmas-snack size candy/treats and pj's. on the snack size-there are a couple i can only find marketed as trick or treats so i buy ahead to use as stocking stuffers, on the pj's-both my adult kids like the onesie style and i can save SO MUCH and get a much better selection by shopping for them as halloween costumes. i can get the identical disney themed pj's (ds likes nightmare before christmas/dd likes pooh stuff) for half as much when they market it as a halloween costume vs. pjs.

When the kids were younger it was easy to pick up things year round. Now that they are both in their 20's not so much. DS22 has started a list for me. Apple Watch, Apple Car Play and Airpods. All things that I want to wait on because of the warranty period (and like @barkley said - the return period)

Need to get on DD20 for her list.

Last year I made them money trees from a Pinterest Picture as they didn't have much on their lists. They liked that.

I’ve been seeing deals pop up on my Facebook. An add for a wooden shot glass made out of wood knob from a bat. It was free only pay $8.95 for shipping. I got a LA Dodger one for my hubby. It usually goes more than $8.95. Then as I finished paying a special deal popped up for a mug made out of a baseball bat for $35 free shipping normally $60 or $69 so I got a LA Dodger for hubby. I thought it was unique and good deal for Dodger gift.

a right time to buy for me is when I see a good deal 😊 August is dragging but once it’s finally over, Christmas will be here before you know it!

When the kids were younger it was easy to pick up things year round. Now that they are both in their 20's not so much. DS22 has started a list for me. Apple Watch, Apple Car Play and Airpods. All things that I want to wait on because of the warranty period (and like @barkley said - the return period)

Need to get on DD20 for her list.

Last year I made them money trees from a Pinterest Picture as they didn't have much on their lists. They liked that.
Money tree.....off to look on Pinterest 😊

Money tree.....off to look on Pinterest 😊

There are lots of different ones. I got a foam shaped cone and put in a pot. Then I folded different denominations of bills to look like bows and they were inserted into the foam cone. It was very cute. Need to use alot of bills. I originally was doing $500 on each one -but there were extra spots still. So, I added more ones and fives and then it was like $525 each. DH helped with the bows - it was a little time consuming but they loved them. I will see if I can find a pic...

Most places start their pre-Black Friday deals in October, so that's probably when you wanna jump on all them sweet, sweet deals.

See if this works. Never posted a pic before..

Well dang - that didn't work..

So m y mom is someone who if she sees something she starts getting it almost immediately and will hold onto it. When I am the one shopping, I try to know what I am going to do a few months beforehand, and then start working on it. I actually have to contact an artist friend of mine soon for an upcoming gift to start working out time frames and pricing.

So m y mom is someone who if she sees something she starts getting it almost immediately and will hold onto it.

my mom would do this but then she would forget where she had squirreled it away so it wasn't unusual to get a random pair of warm winter slippers come spring when she went to pull out easter decor and remembered she had hidden stuff there the previous fall (worked out fine once we got to an age where our shoe size no longer changed year to year).

Love the idea of the money tree! You could easily theme that for a birthday or wedding, too! Especially for my DD26 (doesn't need a ton of stuff, lives 800 miles away), and DS15, who is saving to go to the Boy Scout World Jamboree in South Korea in 2023.

As for me, I don't actively shop for Christmas year-round, but if I see something "perfect", I grab it when I see it. For example, Aldi's recently had their little quarter-holders, that you clip on a purse, so you always have your "Aldi's quarter". I bought one for each of my daughters, for stocking stuffers.

Being cheap, I've always done a good bit of Christmas shopping in January-February, when things go on clearance.

This year, with a grandchild coming in the Christmas season, I'm especially trying to get things done early -- so I can focus on him! I will need to buy his Christmas stocking once his name is 100% official.
I am somewhat concerned about stocking issues come November ... I can't imagine what it's going to be like later in the year.
You make a good point. Consider, too, that lots of brick-and-mortar stores have been hurting during the pandemic ... so they may not be offering bargains this year. I don't think we can assume it'll be "business as usual" this December.

When I worked retail several years ago my store had better deals the weeks before and after Black Friday than on Black Friday itself. Usually I start thinking about Christmas shopping in late September/ early October and just watch sales. If there’s good deals I’ll start buying early since I don’t like the stress of rushing to buy gifts for everyone in December.

"Best" time to shop probably depends on what you are buying and if ordering online vs. picking it out at a store. Many times popular/trendy items will sell out before Christmas. If buying online, need to consider availability as well as transit time. Due to covid and the associated shipping/manufacturing issues, some items may take much longer then normal to get this year, if at all.

I had already purchased a Nintendo game when I saw the advice to wait. I told my son that it was here and we could test it, or I could send it back and order it again as Christmas gets closer. We both decided that since it was already here that we might as well keep it. He tried it out over the weekend and it works just fine, so it's back in my possession until Christmas. My kids are older and can usually guess what I buy since I get stuff that's on their list, so I wasn't too worried about ruining the surprise. His other game was a preorder and won't ship until November, so we're good with it's timeframe.

There are lots of different ones. I got a foam shaped cone and put in a pot. Then I folded different denominations of bills to look like bows and they were inserted into the foam cone. It was very cute. Need to use alot of bills. I originally was doing $500 on each one -but there were extra spots still. So, I added more ones and fives and then it was like $525 each. DH helped with the bows - it was a little time consuming but they loved them. I will see if I can find a pic...
Our family makes money trees as well. We give them to elderly loved ones who have everything they need, but are on limited incomes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter