Best Time to Shop for Christmas?

michelleh1

Mouseketeer
I've read that some people get better deals before Black Friday and I'm wondering when that is exactly? I've also read on social media that we will most likely have shipping delays again this holiday season. I've already gotten 2 of my 4 kid's Christmas wish lists. I like to save money and stretch how far it can go. I'm debating purchasing everything now vs waiting for possible deals that may or may not come. They have very specific items on their lists (Nintendo switch games, Calico Critters and Legos - items that usually don't go on sale very often). Amazon has the best prices right now, so my return window will only be 30 days from when I buy it. I save for Christmas all year, so purchasing now isn't a problem. When are you planning to do your Christmas shopping this year?

I've done a lot already, although I have the "big" gift for DD21 that I'm in price watch mode on right now.

But part of that is I've cut back on who I am buying for, and the number of items I'm buying for who's left. It also helps that all the kids I buy for are grown now and just want cash or gift cards. I'm all in favor of that - makes shopping and shipping a breeze! LOL

Mostly all I've bought is some stocking stuffers for DD and her boyfriend, a couple of clearance clothing items for DD and a toolbox/some hand tools for the boyfriend. And I picked up a few home appliance type items for each of them on Amazon Prime day - the prices seemed to be about as good as I could get on Black Friday.

I am somewhat concerned about stocking issues come November. Store stock is pretty low these days already - I went looking for a hair dryer at Target the other day because mine died, and they had all of 3 on the shelf (and of course they were the crazy expensive ones). I can't imagine what it's going to be like later in the year.

I actually began this week, I got my DD12 the new Disney ILY Forever Doll and accessories I have a feeling this will be a hot item, I also bought something for my sister-in-law and I have a few things put away. I also believe stocking issues will be an issue especially with toys.

Ever since I got out of retail, I've been shopping year-round. That way, even without internet shopping, I don't stress about traffic, parking, crowds, or prices. :-)

I find the things that "scream" someone's name when I find it, and then I'm also not broke, or as stressed during the holidays.

FWIW, everything I have already is wrapped. :santa:

Ever since I got out of retail, I've been shopping year-round. That way, even without internet shopping, I don't stress about traffic, parking, crowds, or prices. :-)

I find the things that "scream" someone's name when I find it, and then I'm also not broke, or as stressed during the holidays.

FWIW, everything I have already is wrapped. :santa:

We must be kindred spirits! I've also got several things stashed away...and wrapped :santa:

Started yesterday and try to knock something out every payday. Our kids are older so we do the something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read. A little cash for after Christmas sales and maybe a Disney gift card for our next trip.

I already started Christmas shopping...

Normally I start putting things away that I know for sure that my friends and family will love, and want...

So far here's what I have picked up

A couple of calendars for one for my mom from Cades Cove in Tennessee, and the 50th calendar from Disney for my Daughter..

Dino book for my grandson, it an Inside out book, it has a skeleton of the T-Rex, and its a learning series, and I am hoping to be able to get the other books that go along with it, Shark, Mummy and the Human body..

As well I found a Starwars drying dish mat for my DD and SIL, I always get them a together gift with household stuff in it, along with a gift card to kinda match up with whats in the box. This year they are getting extra pot and pan, DD mentioned that they needed ones like mine, that kinda in the middle size... and I will find some other goodies to go along with it, and a Publix gift card will go along with it.

Hair clips, and hair bands for my DD, I got lucky and was at Ross and they were marking down a ton of hair stuff, most of it I picked up for around 1.00 to 2.00 bucks or so... she has long hair, and has to pull it back for work, so she goes through alot of these... As a matter of fact I saw her yesterday, and my hair clip on my bag she was looking at it, and said you can have it... She started laughing, and said oh goody, now I don't have to abscond it... Lol...

I also brought some lotion, soap, and bath wash at the Cabbage Rose in Maggie Valley for my mom, she loves this store, and the products that they sell...

I have to start on the stocking stuffers, my family loves - loves - loves their stocking's... so I have to get started on that for sure.. I like to find stuff that I know that they will use... not just fillers.. and finding them a good price that won't break the bank is important as well.

I go out on Black Friday with my neighbor just to get out and enjoy the excitement of it all...Normally by that time, most of if not all of my main shopping is done, and I have started wrapping gifts..

I used to shop year round but that is when we used buy for a lot of people. But if I see something that I know somebody would LOVE and I know it's not going to be there a week from now, let alone Christmas, I pick it up. My husband likes the Star Wars Starbuck coffee mugs. I got them months ago and tucked them away. LEGO is always under our tree, whether for my husband or daughter. Stock has been a major issue with them but I must say with this round of Harry Potter it's looking better. Nintendo games are tricky, do you buy it when you see it and chance that it doesn't work and can't return it? I'm waiting on those as it draws closer to return policy. We've been cutting back more and more. Last year instead of husband and I exchanging gifts, we bought new furniture and been fixing up the house. About sales: I've noticed more and more than sales start way before Black Friday. Many reports on the news saying that is the best time to buy.

I've started buying only because I don't make much money in the first place so it's easier to pace it out. I've been able to find some good deals throughout the year.

Surprisingly I already started 😊. i bought my dd a gift set . The lotion is a Brizillan Bum lotion. The mini goes for $20 and the large is $45 😱. I found a gift set for $25. It comes with the mini lotion, hair scent mist and something else.

she loves baby yoda and stitch and I found some cute no show type socks for $1 each so I bought one each plus a Disney characters Nightmare before Christmas.

I plan on cashing out my Reward apps like fetch and reciept pal for gift cards.
I’m also putting $$ into a Christmas fund. I should have $800-$1000. I was giving my college Dd some cash too but she just graduated college. She just started subbing so she’s making good money. She went from making $0 to $162 a day lol!
she didn’t get a teaching job because hiring started in March and she didn’t get her BA and crediential and paperwork until May and end of June.

I’m keeping an eye out for one of those IKEA metal rolling cart people use for crafting but it will be for her future classroom. Harbor freight has some utility storage drawer thingy she wants for manipulates for her future classroom.

Hubby usually tells me what he wants from the Home depot Black Friday sale. I’ll get him some food gift card deals to use for lunch and not sure what else.

Right now if I see something I’ll buy it instead of last minute shopping. This year I hope to have most stuff bought and wrapped

Isn't it like...literally the best to shop in January, lol. I think Black Friday can cause a lot of buzz but you will get better deals if you start earlier. Now's an excellent time to pick up some toys (or, ideally like earlier this month, but, you know) because Target & Walmart do their fall toy resets and clearance out old stock.

I usually get crackin' in October, when the folks I do purchase for actually make their wants known.

We've had more than one discussion in the past few weeks about whether we will even exchange gifts this year because of the pandemic. My son, DIL and Granddaughter moved 400 miles from here in July, so we will certainly send our Granddaughter gifts, but not worth the risk traveling to exchange gifts. Besides, most of us already have everything we need already, no need for anymore dust catching Christmas gifts.

Isn't it like...literally the best to shop in January, lol. I think Black Friday can cause a lot of buzz but you will get better deals if you start earlier. Now's an excellent time to pick up some toys (or, ideally like earlier this month, but, you know) because Target & Walmart do their fall toy resets and clearance out old stock.

I usually get crackin' in October, when the folks I do purchase for actually make their wants known.
I did find some good deals this month for a daughter's birthday. My girls like to look at toys whenever we go to Walmart, which isn't very often. However, our store hasn't had much of anything ever since the pandemic started. Maybe they'll stock it again soon, but I'm not holding my breath. That's why I mostly purchase stuff online.

any gift of electronics like video games i hold off on until retailers initiate their holiday purchase return period. i'm not spending going to try and save $5 on a $50 game and risk it not working.
I hadn't thought of a game possibly not working. Won't they exchange it if it's defective?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter