• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best time to arrive with toddlers + getting ressies

meab

Mouseketeer
I know there is a huge debate over when to arrive at the port....but I'm going to ask just ONE more question... :o

We are sailing on the 2/6 Wonder with 2 other couples and their toddlers. Altogether, 6 adults and 3 kids aged 17-20 months. We're hoping to get ressies for Palo's on the Parrot Cay night for the earliest possible (I think 6pm) and then coinciding time slots at Flounder's Reef.

If it were just DH, DD, and me, I'd probably take the chance of arriving at the port later in the day so as to avoid lines (toddlers don't like waiting)... I've read that many people arrived "late" (1 or 2pm) and still got the ressies they wanted.

First of all, I'm wondering if 6pm is a popular time for Palo (earlier is better since we are along with the kids and they have early bedtimes). Second of all, should we be worried about getting the time we want for Flounder's? I know they limit the # of children in there, and we have 3 kids! I feel like it lowers our chances of all 3 families getting the time we want simultaneously.

The dilemma is: arrive early and wait for 2 hours with toddlers :eek: to ensure we get the ressies we want vs arrive later to skip the lines and risk that the times we want aren't available. I'm just looking for the best balance in arrival time.

Any opinions from you knowledgable cruisers?!? :cool:

Having traveled on DCL with small children (and doing it again next week), I would suggest getting there early. We generally arrive at the port around 11AM, get checked in and get in line about 11:30 AM. We always bring things for the kids to do (snacks, toys, etc. DW and I take turns leaving the line with one of the kids to walk around, look at the model of the ship, talk with the CMs (who are WONDERFUL!!), and occasionally, there's a character nearby. We generally board around noon or 12:15. We then get on the ship, and get all of our ressies (Palo, Flounder's Reef . . . making our Palo time a priority at Flounders, and the spa). Then, we take the kids to lunch, walk around the ship a little, or let them swim until about 2 PM, then head to the room for nap time. They wake up refreshed just in time for the safety drill. This way, everyone is happy, we get all the ressie times we want and we can relax.

11am sounds like a good time to arrive...an hour waiting, yet you still get on the ship relatively early. i'm guessing then, there isn't THAT much of a difference between arriving at 10am and 11am...?

I dont' think so. It doesn't seem to be much more crowded at 11 than 10. The crowds really start to show just about 11:45 to noon.

Thanks...that info is really helpful. We don't mind waiting on line a little bit, but 2 hours seemed excessive with the kids. I always like to get on board as early as possible anyhow, so as to get as much of a full day as we can. I'm really excited about taking DCL for the first time!

Very informative post...Thanks for the arrival info. We are sailing on Feb. 13/3day with our teenage sons and toddler daughter! This should be interesting to say the least!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter