Best and Worst Too Subjective

Totally get this!! One of my favourite things to do is hop on the bus from Saratoga/Disney Springs to Port Orleans and have a walk around there/have lunch, lot's of nice walking areas aroud both of these resorts haha! The feeling of not being right within the hustle and bustle of WDW is the main positive. They where clever when they build these DVC properties IMO, they must have identified their audience desires well
DEFINITELY, @Sean91 ! I find that when I'm at my resort, I'm done with parks/noise/crowds for the day, and just wanna "chill" (literally and figuratively). OKW helps me do that perfectly. I get that true "Welcome HOME" feel, which is the cornerstone of DVC.

You are like my polar opposite, I find that so amusing, and yet so great that we both love different THINGS, but for basically the same REASONS! Guess they call that "perspective", eh? LOL

Of the 2 resorts, I like POFQ much better than POR. Again - POR is gorgeously themed, but also find it very spread out (my building again was very far from both a bus stop and the main area), and the whole "feel" is again - just not me. I LOVE POFQ, and it's one of my FAVE places to stay on property, regardless of price point. I try to make a stop there on every trip to get a mufaletta, beignets, and just soak in the gorgeous ambiance of the grounds, and the boat ride to DS.

A best and worst will always be based on opinion. Even when it is based on data that data is usually just a collection of opinions. The most popular movie on Rotten Tomatoes can be stated as fact based on hard numbers but the hard numbers are the result of opinion.

The thing that makes the "Best and Worst" shows so interesting is that the opinions are usually based on multiple experiences by long time Disney visitors. And they have (wait for it) reasons for the likes and/or dislikes that polls just would have a hard time capturing. I find even when I disagree with the opinions, listening to the reasons behind a best or worst rating to be interesting and entertaining. There are already plenty of poll based "what should I do" posts available on the boards for those who like them.

Right, so I guess they should develop a series of instruments/scales to rate rides, hotels, restaurants, and experiences. Establish internal and external reliability and validity. Then each learn to properly use it and establish intra-rater and inter-rater reliability, then use scores determined with those scales to statistically analyze exactly which is the best/worst and if there's a significant difference between them (covarying for potential confounding variables like weather, allergies, etc).

Or they can just give their opinions and reasons why it's the best and worst to them.

A PP is right, if you are looking for more hard data then the Unofficial Guides and the website touringplans would be more your style.

I just came back from a 10 day trip at the Dolphin and loved it but if you had asked me about it two weeks ago when I stayed there pre and post cruise I would have given a completely different answer. 3 trips in 4 weeks, 3 different rooms, different housekeepers, different conferences in attendance and the 3rd trip I wasn't caught off guard by the lack of busing.

Yes it is highly subjective, but that's fine. Polling the audience is usually also interesting to see. Why not always do both? Eventually, you're going to run out of topics. There's only so many you can do. So as a way to stretch more episodes out of "Best & Worst", for each category, one week can be based on audience polling and the next week can the be the team's opinions.

Hey guys, I have a question and didn't want to start a whole new thread for it. We watched today's poll-based best and worst, and I got curious and went looking on the boards for the polls, but I can't find them anywhere. We don't do Facebook, but Pete said the poll was both on Facebook and the Dis. Where do they post the polls?

Hey guys, I have a question and didn't want to start a whole new thread for it. We watched today's poll-based best and worst, and I got curious and went looking on the boards for the polls, but I can't find them anywhere. We don't do Facebook, but Pete said the poll was both on Facebook and the Dis. Where do they post the polls?
Hmmmmm - only place I've ever seen them is on FB. And since I rarely and only superficially do that, I sometimes miss them as well.

I'm pretty sure it's just facebook and maybe myspace. Craig has done some Universal polls here, but I've never seen one for these best and worst.

I LOVE the "Best and Worst" just as they are. Don't change anything.

That's what hooked me on the DIS!

The atmosphere, it feels so relaxed and I love nothing more than going for a little late night stroll alongside the lake between Saratoga and Disney Springs and hearing the music from Disney Springs.

THAT'S DUMB

Right, so I guess they should develop a series of instruments/scales to rate rides, hotels, restaurants, and experiences. Establish internal and external reliability and validity. Then each learn to properly use it and establish intra-rater and inter-rater reliability, then use scores determined with those scales to statistically analyze exactly which is the best/worst and if there's a significant difference between them (covarying for potential confounding variables like weather, allergies, etc).

Or they can just give their opinions and reasons why it's the best and worst to them.

nerds.jpg

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane Llama. It's great seeing the whole gang from the Dis 1st anniversary meet.

Back then we reviewed rides with style, all these new kids like Kathy keep letting opinions get in the way.

And then resorts, like others have mentioned, are another issue. You can compare them amenity wise but amenities don't make them the best or worst. Contemporary is a good example of this. Lots of people love that hotel. I don't get it. You could pay me to stay there, but I wouldn't pay to stay there even at value hotel prices.

I felt the same way about the Contemporary but one year my teen talked me in to booking the garden wing and I was surprised that I really liked it. I love walking in and out of MK plus I now appreciate it's iconic style. It also is very compact for a deluxe, when we've stayed at YC or AKL it is always very far to the lobby or pool. I will admit the pool is very underwhelming but I do like sitting in the small pool over by the lake just enjoying the view.

It also is very compact for a deluxe, when we've stayed at YC or AKL it is always very far to the lobby or pool. I will admit the pool is very underwhelming but I do like sitting in the small pool over by the lake just enjoying the view.
Now there is a subject they could do and literally give you best/worse. Slap a pedometer on Ryno and have him walk from the furthest room to transportation stops, lobby, smoking area, and pool.

I was amazed by my room at the Boardwalk Villas. It was .2 miles to the pool, .8 miles to the entrance of HS, and 13.1 miles (a half marathon) to the lobby.

I'm fine with the rankings but I think for clarity they could say Top Five and Bottom Five rather than Best and Worst in some cases. For example on the recent Best and Worst Resorts for families when it was a Facebook poll: I'm not on Facebook so I don't know how the poll was conducted. Was it one question "What is your favorite resort for families?" or was it two questions "What is your favorite resort?" and "What is your least favorite resort?" It seems like it was one question and one of the All Star Resorts was worst of the worst because it got one vote. Was that one vote for best? Did no resort get no votes? I am a little confused.

Also I love cschaff's ideas! :)

This! I wish the guys would differentiate between getting the least amount of 'best' votes and betting chosen as 'worst'. These are two totally different things and it doesn't seem fair to label a place as the worst unless that's the question that was asked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter