• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Be ready to book AP discount.. or it might disappear!

gullyf said:
The upshot seems to be that you had better be ready to book if you try this, and grab it if you want it, cause they are watching and won't offer it to you too many times...

I don't know how accurate this perception is. Between last night and this morning, I was able to bring up the rate I eventually received more than 6 times. In fact, I was able to do a lot of searching, and this was done all on the same AP over a 2-3 hour period.

People are running into System Errors, but I don't believe it is due to problems with the Passholder IDs. It sounds more to be a system overload issue with the server with all of us trying to get on at once. It's kind of the same situation as calling in at the crack of dawn for CRT. Sometimes you get through, and sometimes you're put on hold forever. This morning I had to try logging in 9-10 times before I finally got past the System Error message and was logged in.

So...if you get the System Error, just keep trying to login. You'll eventually hit that open port on their server.

Brian

Just one more reason for my husband and I to buy into DVC. That way I know I will get a room at a good rate. I sadly will not be renewing our AP's this year. This will be the first time in 9 years that I have not had an AP to WDW. :sad2: They are really going to loose a lot of loyal travelers. Now if we don't buy into DVC we will only go to WDW every other year.

DemoBri1 said:
I don't know how accurate this perception is. Between last night and this morning, I was able to bring up the rate I eventually received more than 6 times. In fact, I was able to do a lot of searching, and this was done all on the same AP over a 2-3 hour period.
It isn't perception, it is what is happening. Note that I was able to do a lot of seaching as well, for a long period, but it seems that once you logoff (or your connection times out/disconnects, since there is no logoff button) a certain number of times, you no longer get AP discounts. Note that it doesn't have to be the same for you and me, as there could be other factors involved in determining who sees a discount and who doesn't. Also note that I have had no difficulty with the site itself. It has always worked fine for me. Rather, I noticed that people were making discounted reservations when I was pulling up "no discounts available" for any date range and resort, not once but over the course of a couple of days. Switch AP #'s and all of a sudden EVERYTHING had a discount. And we are talking just minutes between no discount via the first AP and all discounted via the second.
DEMOBri1 said:
People are running into System Errors, but I don't believe it is due to problems with the Passholder IDs. It sounds more to be a system overload issue with the server with all of us trying to get on at once. It's kind of the same situation as calling in at the crack of dawn for CRT. Sometimes you get through, and sometimes you're put on hold forever. This morning I had to try logging in 9-10 times before I finally got past the System Error message and was logged in.
Can't address the system error issue, as I have not encountered it. Needless to say, if I haven't encountered it it doesn't play a part in this hypothesis, thought that isn't to say it isn't happening.
DemoBri1 said:
So...if you get the System Error, just keep trying to login. You'll eventually hit that open port on their server.
Brian
The port would be 80 (at least the public port), and it is probably open all the time ;)! I have already mentioned that things like transaction processing and how they are dealing with say 500 people vying for 5 rooms can create some of the inconsistancies people are seeing. But that doesn't explain some people getting "no discounts available" while at the same time others are booking, both before and after (during is tougher to assess). Nor does it explain how one AP # can see no discounts for a long period, and then a different AP # entered on the same PC from the same IP address signs in once and everything has a discount!

gullyf said:
The port would be 80 (at least the public port), and it is probably open all the time ;)! I have already mentioned that things like transaction processing and how they are dealing with say 500 people vying for 5 rooms can create some of the inconsistancies people are seeing. But that doesn't explain some people getting "no discounts available" while at the same time others are booking, both before and after (during is tougher to assess). Nor does it explain how one AP # can see no discounts for a long period, and then a different AP # entered on the same PC from the same IP address signs in once and everything has a discount!

In actuality this could conceivably be happening. If you have 500 people vying for 5 rooms, people may actually be logged in and have those 5 rooms "reserved", but then don't decide to book. If all of the rooms have been "reserved" someone else, let's say you, come in and try to find a discount for that resort, since those rooms are taken up by 5 other users, you won't see a discount for that room. In the meantime, since you've searched, one or more of those people decide to "release" the room by not booking, then someone else comes in and sees this discount because the room is not available.

I'm certainly not saying that Disney's system here is even close to good. It's just that I had no problem getting in and finding discounts last night at 11:30 CT, but then this morning at 5:55 CT, I had to login 10 different times before I was able to do a search. I attribute that to the fact that CRO was just about to open and people were up trying to search for deals. I realize the site is always up, but there seems to be something magical about that 6:00 A.M. hour.

With a bunch of people flocking to one particular site at the same time, whether you have a public port open all the time or not, there's still a limit as to how many users will be allowed in at any one time. I still suspect that the System Errors are being caused by user overload.

Also, if you are getting out and trying to log back in, it might be possible that some cookie information is passing different IP Addresses to and from Disney's server.

gullyf said:
That is actually the point, Tinkaroo. Cindybasket was seeing no availability, but that only means that she was being excluded, not because there was nothing available. What causes someone to see or not see a rate? Could be just about anything: number of times she requested a quote without booking, number of times she has used her annual pass in the last year, comparative amount that she has spent in the last year (not meaning to go orwellian here, but the more of a link that is established between a number and you, the more precisely they know what you did and what you spent... using a room key as a charge card, for example, will produce a goldmine of data on you, and now that it is biometrically linked...), or a combination of all of the above together with a few things I probably haven't thought of.
Understand too that this might not reflect an actual change in policy. It is entirely possible that this was happening before, it was just hidden from us and not linked to the AP #'s so strongly. It is not unusual for reservation systems in general to pop up special rates at seemingly random intervals. It is entirely possible that in previous times, you could call Disney reservations, request an annual pass rate and not get one, but someone who calls after you does. There would be just no way of knowing that was happening, and because the details were hidden you might think it more a stroke of luck ("well, someone must have cancelled") than anything else. The change now is that we get feedback in real time, and can compare notes.. ahh the wonders of the internet age!!!

I was not trying to get into a debate on the merits and vagaries of this system. cindybasket had asked if anyone wasn't traveling during her dates to please check them, and I did.

For what it's worth, I have gotten fairly consistent information when I've logged in. If I don't, I usually log out, and open a new windowm, and poof, the rates are back. Even went so far as to clean out the cookies on my computer last night, and logged in using my husband's AP. No difference in views and availability than what I was getting with my AP.

I honestly think it might have more to do with how many people might be currently searching for availability - kind of like concert tickets. Who knows how many people are logged in on the web, travel agent's sites, CRO, etc. at any given time.

Plus, personally, I haven't been all that impressed with the sophistication of Disney's website, and wonder if their software has the capability for the "big brother" maneuvers people are talking about. I guess only time will tell.

from what I was told today, if someone begins the booking process (as in hits continue once they have selected their resort and view), then that room comes out of inventory so they can book it. If they abandon the booking process then the room doesn't immediately go back into inventory, it takes a few minutes. So that may explain some of the problems.

It would help if they would display the nightly rate and not just the total. I know that is why I hit "continue" when I'm just checking on different rates.

Tinkaroo said:
I was not trying to get into a debate on the merits and vagaries of this system. cindybasket had asked if anyone wasn't traveling during her dates to please check them, and I did.
Apologies if you thought I was trying to drag you into some kind of debate. I was merely highlighting that she found no availability, but you did, and trying to figure out if there is some logic behind it. There is the potential for a huge number of variables without a sophisticated system, and I suspect it really is quite sophisiticated.. it would have to be. Just think of the number of resorts, rooms, and dates that are available, and the number of indviduals, travel agents, and cast members that are constantly making reservations, checking guests in and out, making confirmations, etc. That it works at all, that you get a passholder discount and get down there and your room is ready and waiting, is absolutely amazing. It isn't lost, it isn't double booked, it is just there!

I for one am trying very hard not to be critical or say the system is unfair, but rather "here is what happened, is it possible that it isn't random, that it isn't system difficulty, but intended?". I intend to go looking under my AP again shortly, just to see what comes up, and to see if multiple sign-ons and searches without a complete disconnection and/or a booking, result again in no discounts being shown. It is entirely possible that it was simply a fluke.

I'll leave the debate on the merits of the system up to others. I personally like it: my bone is with the conditions attached, not the system. And to be quite honest, I usually make our plans well before the 120 day limit, and have even been annoyed in the past that they released the rates so late. I would only cancel or change a reservation in an emergency, and have never had to in the past. But I don't like the penalties if I happen to be in that situation.

Many thanks for your replies, and may the Mouse be with you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter