BCV 2006 - Ewww

We went to OKW last September and received our room at noon!! Yippee! Then we entered it.... lots of leftovers (empty bags, food in cupboards, dirty blankets) from the previous guests. :crazy2: Made me question the cleaning of the room and wished I had packed lysol wipes!! Housekeeping came back and spiffed up the joint.

I'm pretty easy going, however, I draw the line at entering a dirty room!! We were happy that the room was "ready" so early, but we were prepared to wait until 4 pm!!

We are one of those families that try and prep the room the best we can when we leave (empty cupboards & frig, strip the beds, bag all the garbage and put together, pile the towels in the bathroom, and try and wipe up all my hair on the floor -- I'm surprised I'm not bald :eek: ). Anything to help out the housekeepers and to get the housekeeping gods to smile down upon us on future visits!!

gothmommie said:
One thing I should mention - we were given one night at rack rate ($410 total - so less than the pts value for that Saturday night stay) credit for the first room switch debacle as they admitted they screwed up.

I'm sorry, I have to chime in here...
In my opinion, you got $410.00 for simply not getting your room request met at the time of check-in.

Most of us would have been happy that most of our requests were met and moved on. But you wanted a new room, and then weren't happy with the second room, and ended up getting compensated for it.

If that were me... I wouldn't have the nerve to post my complaints on a public forum. See... I had issues with a recent stay, and waited to see if DVC/WDW would respond to those issues before complaining on these boards. They did respond (after over 45 days of waiting) and they were receptive to my issues, so I find no use discussing them further here.

I view what you received as ample compensation for your troubles, and don't see why you had to stir the pot here.

I'm sorry if this written word sounds harsh... I'm really not writing this to be hurtful... I just don't see the benefit of these type of posts.
O.K. I'm putting on my fire proof suit now... :firefight

FLAME AWAY!

We should expect clean rooms.
We should contribute to their cleanliness by not trashing them.
And we should never expect a celebration surprise. Just about everyone is celebrating something at Disney.

:thumbsup2 I totally agree with this post.

The only thing I really expect is a non-smoking room and a clean room. We request non-smoking for medical reasons and would be happy to provide a doctor's written note as to why we need this kind of room. I have never requested anything else on the reservation and am happy as long as those two things are met when I am using my DVC.

I realize requests are just that and I'm always surprised if we receive them, but I totally agree about cleanliness of a room. We are staying at the BCV for the first time in April and I so hope we have a nice unit. We're renting points and this will almost be a "test" to see if we would like to consider buying.

Last year, we stayed at the WL and on arriving, our room had been cleaned. However, on settling in, we found two run bull cans under the bed and a dirty piece of clothing in the dresser. As someone said, most folks work very hard and look forward to a great vacation so it's difficult to dismiss this. I know things can be overlooked and we called housekeeping who removed the clothing. We didn't mention the cans because we wanted to see if they would be removed the next day. Still there when we checked out on day 7!

Simba's Mom said:
Are these "standing room only" balconies only at the BC? Are there any at the BCV? If so, where? I've never gotten a standing room only balcony at the BCV, and I hope I don't-one of my favorite things to do is sit on my balcony and watch/listen to the goings on while I drink my morning coffee. Kinda hard to do if I had to stand!

No there are none of these at BCV. But BC and BCV have the same check in desk and this is the biggest request they get there is "full balcony". The full balcony at BC is the same size as the smallest balcony at the BCV. So when they see full balcony as a request to them that means they don't want the standing room only balcony.

Gosh, I hope I haven't made a mistake in booking BCV for our Christmas trip next year. We love the Epcot resort area and normally stay at YC or BWI. But this time we'll have 5 adults instead of the usual 4 and decided that it would be nice to have a 2-bdrm villa vs. 2 rooms at one of the deluxes.
I booked through Disney so we aren't renting points.

But now I'm getting concerned about staying at the villas ~~ do most of you really think there is a big problem with the cleanliness there? I admit it, I am very particular when it comes to a hotel room being clean ... I'm not over-the-top picky, but I do expect a clean room. Never have had a problem with any of our deluxe stays (only once have I ever really had issues with a bad room at Disney and that was CSR).

For those of you who stay at YC/BC/BWI and also at the villas, are you just as happy with the villas? Or do you find you really prefer the deluxes overall?
I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that I didn't make a mistake! :confused3

Wilderness wrote:
Someone actually had the nerve to write when this incident happened that maybe it was actually chocolate smeared on the door and had I had it tested to confirm it was stool. How insulting. :headache: Again, in my job and with my kids, I have cleaned up plenty of it so I think I know what it is and how it cleans up. Plus who in the world would be eating anything chocolate or otherwise in the bathroom? :scared1:
snip snip
Again, we travel alot so I know what is a normal expectation and what is not. Again, just my opinion that cleanliness is not an over the top expectation. :worried:[/QUOTE]

We checked into a concierge room at AKL a couple of years ago, and I noticed a brown substance between the folds of the shower curtain. From where I was sitting at the moment, it was obvious to me what it was - no analysis was done and I wasn't going to get any closer. One call, and the curtain was removed and replaced with a fresh one. The rest of the room was spotless (looking), but I had that 'feeling'. I think any discovery of this kind will tend to make someone feel uncomfortable, even when it is taken care of right away. We had an otherwise excellent visit, but I still remember the shower curtain. To the OP - I'm sorry your stay wasn't as magical as you were led to expect. On the other hand, I'm really surprised at the amount of compensation - it doesn't follow with what I've experienced and what I've read as reported. I've heard of meal credits and some points being returned, but never of a credit as large as your report. It makes me think you've underplayed how bad your experience was. Hopefully future visits will be much more pleasant. :)

katallo said:
Last year, we stayed at the WL and on arriving, our room had been cleaned. However, on settling in, we found two run bull cans under the bed and a dirty piece of clothing in the dresser.

Okay, am I missing something here?? :scratchin I read posts like this all the time, and always think, "Wow....I don't think I've even LOOKED under a DVC bed!" I'm actually kind of surprised they go "thru" and are not walled off on 3 sides.

My question is....why do you look under the bed? Now, I am TOTALLY serious!! Is it for security (to make sure no one is hiding under there), or are there some sort of FL bugs I should be looking out for, or is it just to see if Mousekeeping is doing their job? When I was a FA, we were taught to look under the bed for security reasons, as hotel staff knew which rooms would be occupied by single, young women....but, I have never checked at WDW.

Just curious if there is something I should be looking for?

:wave:

Beca

CPer'sMom said:
Gosh, I hope I haven't made a mistake in booking BCV for our Christmas trip next year. We love the Epcot resort area and normally stay at YC or BWI. But this time we'll have 5 adults instead of the usual 4 and decided that it would be nice to have a 2-bdrm villa vs. 2 rooms at one of the deluxes.

But now I'm getting concerned about staying at the villas ~~ do most of you really think there is a big problem with the cleanliness there? I admit it, I am very particular when it comes to a hotel room being clean ... I'm not over-the-top picky, but I do expect a clean room. Never have had a problem with any of our deluxe stays (only once have I ever really had issues with a bad room at Disney and that was CSR).

For those of you who stay at YC/BC/BWI and also at the villas, are you just as happy with the villas? Or do you find you really prefer the deluxes overall?
I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that I didn't make a mistake! :confused3

You should be fine - just pack Lysol wipes, wipe everything down that you are worried about, rinse cups/utensils/dishes before using and check the linens to make sure they are clean and if you find anything gross call housekeeping and the front desk. At least that's what we intend to do at any future DVC stays. I posted as I wanted those who had complete faith in Disney housekeeping and the like (which I guess we kind of did and yes, I know now that was silly and naive of me) to be aware so that they could check and cover themselves. Again, you should be fine.

MickeyCrazed said:
I'm sorry, I have to chime in here...
In my opinion, you got $410.00 for simply not getting your room request met at the time of check-in.

Most of us would have been happy that most of our requests were met and moved on. But you wanted a new room, and then weren't happy with the second room, and ended up getting compensated for it.

If that were me... I wouldn't have the nerve to post my complaints on a public forum. See... I had issues with a recent stay, and waited to see if DVC/WDW would respond to those issues before complaining on these boards. They did respond (after over 45 days of waiting) and they were receptive to my issues, so I find no use discussing them further here.

I view what you received as ample compensation for your troubles, and don't see why you had to stir the pot here.

I'm sorry if this written word sounds harsh... I'm really not writing this to be hurtful... I just don't see the benefit of these type of posts.
O.K. I'm putting on my fire proof suit now... :firefight

FLAME AWAY!

No problem - I expected a wide variance in opinion and I am not so egotistical as some as to think my way of thinking should hold true for all.

Sorry if I stirred your pot.

Peace. :)

Oh my gosh. My husband was simply bending down to get a pair of shoes that had been placed under the bed.

CPer'sMom said:

Yes....you have totally made a mistake!!! I would DEFINITELY book somewhere else!! :rotfl:

Okay, not really!!! You can tell by my "location" that I adore this place!! Relax...you will be fine!!! WDW does not put "better" mousekeepers at other resorts than it does BCV...seriously, this is one of their most famous resorts. At Christmas time, WDW puts ALL the guest emcees of The Candlelight Processional at that hotel. The hotel and the villas are run by the same GM, and the same level of excellence is expected throughout the hotel.

That being said....the views at the Villas are not the breathtaking, Crescent View rooms that the hotel has. The GM of the hotel told me that he didn't know what all the "view fuss" was over...he didn't think any of the Villa rooms had particularly good views. Now, I disagree with him...I think some rooms have GREAT views, but there really are not that many of them.

We were there in December, in a 2bdrm...and, I thought our unit was spotless (of course, I didn't look under the bed ;) ). The other thing I can tell you....Beach Club Villas is the number one most sought after DVC property. It is the only one with an extensive waitlist via DVC, and consistently has the highest resale value on the open market (when you can find contracts). It was Michael Eisner's favorite resort, and the only one where he would stay....it is an amazing resort. You are VERY lucky to have "scored" a 2 bdrm ressie thru CRO...there are not that many of them, and they usually go very quickly to members.

Relax, keep you expectations in the "normal" range (i.e. don't look for special treatment), and you will have an amazing trip!!!

:wave:

Beca

Beca said:
Okay, am I missing something here?? :scratchin I read posts like this all the time, and always think, "Wow....I don't think I've even LOOKED under a DVC bed!" I'm actually kind of surprised they go "thru" and are not walled off on 3 sides.

My question is....why do you look under the bed? Now, I am TOTALLY serious!! Is it for security (to make sure no one is hiding under there), or are there some sort of FL bugs I should be looking out for, or is it just to see if Mousekeeping is doing their job? When I was a FA, we were taught to look under the bed for security reasons, as hotel staff knew which rooms would be occupied by single, young women....but, I have never checked at WDW.

Just curious if there is something I should be looking for?

:wave: Beca

When we check to make sure we have all our belongings as part of our family packing/check out procedure part of our room check includes lifiting up the bedspread and such and making sure that the bed is wall-ed off or,if it is not, if anything of ours is underneath the bed. We've almost left behind a few things over the years so we give the room thorough final check. Perhaps that is how this poster made her discovery???

No, I don't think the boogey man is under the bed. ;)

gothmommie said:
When we check to make sure we have all our belongings as part of our family packing/check out procedure part of our room check includes lifiting up the bedspread and such and making sure that the bed is wall-ed off or,if it is not, if anything of ours is underneath the bed. We've almost left behind a few things over the years so we give the room thorough final check. Perhaps that is how this poster made her discovery???

Thanks gothmommie! As I posted earlier, we were looking for a pair of shoes!

I have seen on the boards that the rule of thumb should be to never expect anything free for a birthday, anniversary or other special occasion. Sometimes they'll give you stuff, sometimes they won't. I don't think it's required and it shouldnt' ruin a stay.

I've never had major cleanliness problems at BCV. Worn down furniture, yes. Towel racks coming off walls, yes. Burned-out light bulbs and nonfunctioning TV remotes, yes. But the rooms have been clean. I'm getting so I like OKW much better anyway and only stay at BCV (my home resort) when the location is important (read: food & wine).

TDC Nala said:
I have seen on the boards that the rule of thumb should be to never expect anything free for a birthday, anniversary or other special occasion. Sometimes they'll give you stuff, sometimes they won't. I don't think it's required and it shouldnt' ruin a stay.

Right, understood, agreed. Please see JenD's post on this thread. This is more in line with what I was talking about on the issue.

I understand that some of you may not agree with my feelings on this. That's cool. But I won't change my feelings either. I was cool with nothing being done. I wasn't cool when they STATED they WOULD do something then dropped the ball. That's just poor execution, plain and simple. If I did that at my job it would only fly once maybe and then I'd be fired. But, again, I'm willing to concede that this is JMO and just my experience.

Peace. :goodvibes

Here I am, seriously thinking of buying into DVC and reading all this and sorta freaking inside...
CMs don't like DVCers?! That thought really bothers me.

If I book a room anywhere and walk in and it looks like it hasn't been cleaned yet, I don't want it. Give me another room, please. If I have to wait then so be it, but I'm not even going all the way in there. I'll back out of the room and head for the desk. Am I wrong to think this way? I just read a thread the other day that Arminnie went to SSR and received 2 dirty DVC rooms!!! What is up with this?

Am you know, I think what others me the most is that I have stayed in WDW value and moderate resorts (but never in a Disney Deluxe) and have had less that very clean rooms more than once. Worse, actually, at the moderate resorts! I just came from POFQ last weekend & saw several things around the room that the maid did not do or catch in her cleaning.

I am beginning to think WDW needs to train thier mousekeeping better!! As a kid, my parents owned a AAA mom and pop's style motel here in TN. I know what goes into cleaning a room. I also know how hard it was for my folks to get people who could actually clean a room properly.

I think what bothers me more is that as I think of it, our other last WDW stays have been at the S/D and our rooms have always been so much cleaner than our Disney rooms! I really hadn't thought of this until I read this thread. Maybe Westin could give some lessons. LOL

When the OP was talking about her "anniversary date" I was thinking DVC must do something for you if you are there on your DVC anniversary LOL, it never occurred to me she meant her wedding anniversary! Yep, I think that expectation is too much. They recognized it last year but not this year. Save the memory!
I was in WDW for my last 2 b-days. Last year had more recognition that this year's (although I still had attention) but so what, I'll save that memory.

Good luck with the letter. I think the dirty room is your valid complaint--the requests probably won't get too much attention.

gothmommie said:

Got it, thanks!!! I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I needed to know about FL bugs, or other "surprises"!!! ;)

Beca

Buckalew11 said:
Here I am, seriously thinking of buying into DVC and reading all this and sorta freaking inside...
CMs don't like DVCers?! That thought really bothers me.

I wouldn't freak out so much on that. Really. That's just one posters opinion based on conversations they may or may not have had with CMs. CMs probably don't like rude people or people that call them on cutting corners or both. Do they generalize? Probably. But then I would hazard a guess that this stereotyping also reaches to ethnicity, socio-economic status and just about any other category you want to come up with. At least that's what I have heard from a (non-Disney) Concierge. I don't think that my experience would have been improved or worsened if it was not a DVC stay. JMO.

When the OP was talking about her "anniversary date" I was thinking DVC must do something for you if you are there on your DVC anniversary LOL, it never occurred to me she meant her wedding anniversary! Yep, I think that expectation is too much. They recognized it last year but not this year. Save the memory!

She says, above, that they promised her an anniversary surprise and didn't follow through. I am not clear on whether or not they actually said they would do something or just took the anniversary information at the front desk. I've told the front desk upon checkin that I had a birthday and didn't get anything in the room. That didn't bother me, although I would suggest that if you have kids, you don't tell them that the resort might acknowledge their birthday with free stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter