BCV 2006 - Ewww

gothmommie

Mouseketeer
First let start off by saying that this was not our first stay at BCV and, in fact, it is our fourth (family) trip in as many years. We LOVE Disney and we'll be heading back next February. That said...what is going on at the Beach Club Villas???

We've stayed at OKW. Our rooms were very clean and we always got a hearty 'welcome home.' At BCV - more often than not we got a terse nod as we entered the parking lot (though this year we were elated to get an initial 'welcome home' - kudos to that cast member, you made our evening).

Last year when we stayed at BCV, stormalong bay's rehab was more extensive and prolonged then they had advertised but the room we had was clean and stunning and they sent us some balloons on our anniversary.

This year, we checked in on Thursday, after 5pm. We had requested top floor, Spaceship Earth view, non-smoking. We know that requests are exactly that, requests, however when we were presented with our room (second floor, Epcot view, non-smoking) and inquired if there were any 4th or 5th floor rooms available, I was told that if we were willing to switch rooms the next day, a room with exactly what we were looking for would be available. Sure, I said, that'll work, no problem, thanks for offering. Please hold that room for us and we'll move tomorrow.

Flash forward to us checking into our room (the second floor room). The room was FILTHY. We're talking never cleaned. Soiled towels on the floor, animal crackers on the floor, stain on the couch, dirty, stinky diaper in the garbage can. :eek: I take a deep breath and immediately call housekeeping. They'll send someone right over. 20 min. later I call the front desk and say we can't wait any more we are STARVING. So we go to Beaches & Cream hoping that they will clean our room in our absence. 1.5 hours later we return and the maid is cleaning the room - good thing we didn't wait as the room was not immaculate so she must have gotten there 20 min. before or so.

OK, no reason to grump, the room is now 'clean' so to speak. I grab my lysol wipes and clean everything my DD, age 7, will touch. You know, everything I can see. We unpack only the base essentials and call it a night.

Next day, pack up, luggage to bell services, head to MK. Great day at MK, lunch at CRT, back to hotel for new room at 4pm. Check in and get our new room. Go to new room. New room has no SE view and a partial balcony. Fuming I send luggage back to storage and storm off to manager. "They messed up" Is the general message. I ask for last night's room back - it was better - nope, that's taken already. So, I get another 5th floor room with a pool view and (supposedly) a full balcony with the promise of the view we requested on 2/12 (2 nights away). Go to our new room. Guess what - this has only a partial balcony! Gee, don't these people (and this was a MANAGER I had been dealing with) have a clue on what their rooms offer? :confused3

Settle in to new room. Night before our move to new room, bag everything up, send luggage to bell services the day of the move. Move to final room. 5th floor, Epcot view, SE view, nonsmoking, full balcony. Yay! They totally dissed our anniversary on 2/14 though. :sad1: Nothing. Nada. And after asking our names and the number of our anniversary...... Really crappy.

Oh, and I was packing, I found a pair of little girl's undies behind the chest in the bedroom. Wasn't our princess's. Makes you wonder how much they clean doesn't it. :crazy2:

All I can say is if that service is this bad during the dream season what is it like during the peak season????

One thing I should mention - we were given one night at rack rate ($410 total - so less than the pts value for that Saturday night stay) credit for the first room switch debacle as they admitted they screwed up. It was NOT for the filthy room - that they simply eventually (spot) cleaned. I would have been cool with the whole thing except for the fact that they then dissed our anniversary really burned my britches. Really shabby. Oh, yeah, that and the dirty underwear that didn't belong to us in our room.

Word to the wise - pack your lysol and such.

And, yes, I'll be emailing guest relations all this - just thought I'd share.

How are things at the other DVC resorts? Is this just a bad stay, a BCV thing or more of a widespread decline? I hope it's not the latter as we JUST became DVC members after booking our 4th trip in 4 years. Please, please tell me it was just a bad stay that they kind of tried to make better?

Sorry to hear of all the issues you had. I haven't posted here a lot lately and hope that this is not a continuing problem as this is one of our home resorts and we will be going home in May. I'm surprised about your anniversary. I've always read that WDW is good about doing something. Annmarie

BCVOwner2002 said:
Sorry to hear of all the issues you had. I haven't posted here a lot lately and hope that this is not a continuing problem as this is one of our home resorts and we will be going home in May. I'm surprised about your anniversary. I've always read that WDW is good about doing something. Annmarie

Thanks - I did just send a post off to guest relations so hopefully they will put some pressure on the resort to improve so that by the time you get there in May it will be up to snuff. It really is a great place to stay - this was just a very un-Disney like experience. (So not to worry - I'm sure they'll improve....)

First let start off by saying that this was not our first stay at BCV and, in fact, it is our fourth (family) trip in as many years. We LOVE Disney and we'll be heading back next February. That said...what is going on at the Beach Club Villas???

We've stayed at OKW. Our rooms were very clean and we always got a hearty 'welcome home.' At BCV - more often than not we got a terse nod as we entered the parking lot (though this year we were elated to get an initial 'welcome home' - kudos to that cast member, you made our evening).

Last year when we stayed at BCV, stormalong bay's rehab was more extensive and prolonged then they had advertised but the room we had was clean and stunning and they sent us some balloons on our anniversary.

This year, we checked in on Thursday, after 5pm. We had requested top floor, Spaceship Earth view, non-smoking. We know that requests are exactly that, requests, however when we were presented with our room (second floor, Epcot view, non-smoking) and inquired if there were any 4th or 5th floor rooms available, I was told that if we were willing to switch rooms the next day, a room with exactly what we were looking for would be available. Sure, I said, that'll work, no problem, thanks for offering. Please hold that room for us and we'll move tomorrow.

Flash forward to us checking into our room (the second floor room). The room was FILTHY. We're talking never cleaned. Soiled towels on the floor, animal crackers on the floor, stain on the couch, dirty, stinky diaper in the garbage can. I take a deep breath and immediately call housekeeping. They'll send someone right over. 20 min. later I call the front desk and say we can't wait any more we are STARVING. So we go to Beaches & Cream hoping that they will clean our room in our absence. 1.5 hours later we return and the maid is cleaning the room - good thing we didn't wait as the room was not immaculate so she must have gotten there 20 min. before or so.

OK, no reason to grump, the room is now 'clean' so to speak. I grab my lysol wipes and clean everything my DD, age 7, will touch. You know, everything I can see. We unpack only the base essentials and call it a night.

Next day, pack up, luggage to bell services, head to MK. Great day at MK, lunch at CRT, back to hotel for new room at 4pm. Check in and get our new room. Go to new room. New room has no SE view and a partial balcony. Fuming I send luggage back to storage and storm off to manager. "They messed up" Is the general message. I ask for last night's room back - it was better - nope, that's taken already. So, I get another 5th floor room with a pool view and (supposedly) a full balcony with the promise of the view we requested on 2/12 (2 nights away). Go to our new room. Guess what - this has only a partial balcony! Gee, don't these people (and this was a MANAGER I had been dealing with) have a clue on what their rooms offer?

Settle in to new room. Night before our move to new room, bag everything up, send luggage to bell services the day of the move. Move to final room. 5th floor, Epcot view, SE view, nonsmoking, full balcony. Yay! They totally dissed our anniversary on 2/14 though. Nothing. Nada. And after asking our names and the number of our anniversary...... Really crappy.

Oh, and I was packing, I found a pair of little girl's undies behind the chest in the bedroom. Wasn't our princess's. Makes you wonder how much they clean doesn't it.

All I can say is if that service is this bad during the dream season what is it like during the peak season????

One thing I should mention - we were given one night at rack rate ($410 total - so less than the pts value for that Saturday night stay) credit for the first room switch debacle as they admitted they screwed up. It was NOT for the filthy room - that they simply eventually (spot) cleaned. I would have been cool with the whole thing except for the fact that they then dissed our anniversary really burned my britches. Really shabby. Oh, yeah, that and the dirty underwear that didn't belong to us in our room.

Word to the wise - pack your lysol and such.

And, yes, I'll be emailing guest relations all this - just thought I'd share.

How are things at the other DVC resorts? Is this just a bad stay, a BCV thing or more of a widespread decline? I hope it's not the latter as we JUST became DVC members after booking our 4th trip in 4 years. Please, please tell me it was just a bad stay that they kind of tried to make better?

You might want to post this on the DVC forums.

As to our experiences we have never had these type of problems. I would definitely expect a clean room and would be upset it if was not. You were actually lucky they did not charge to change rooms due to view. Definitely if a room is not clean they need to deal with that but DVC members do not get to change rooms without a transfer charge because they don't like the view or balcony size.

I would never expect a certain view or balcony and size and definitely nothing for an anniversary that I did not pay for myself and arrange.

We have not had problems at other DVC either.

Ok you know on some of this you are going to get flamed right? Except for the dirty room/dirty underwear, everything else was a request and not guaranteed. No matter if they tell you at the desk you are getting a certain thing, it is still not a guarantee. I do think it is dishonest, but this has happened to quite a few people as they say they don't want a handicap room and then that is what they get, etc. Especially regarding your anniversary, really if you wanted some balloons sent, you should have ordered them and had them sent. That should not be expected and if more people think that, then no one will ever receive that as a surprise. Really, I would be happy that I received them last year as a treat and call that a day. I would be very upset about the dirty room, having to wait for a dirty room to be cleaned, being lied to/misled, and finding dirty underwear in your room. These are the things that you need to focus on with your letter. Sorry this happened to you. I am not dismissing your other complaints, but really, from experience, focus on the other things that definately should have been right from the get go and maybe you will receive some satisfaction. I was put in a dirty room, my first trip as well. It was very disheartening to say the least. I was so mad that I did write to the corporate office. The man that finally got back to me was so surprised as this had never occured before, according to him. I laughed and said, ok whatever. I don't think it was a first time occurrence. Good luck to you. Sorry that this happened.

I hope the moderators move this to the DVC boards as you will get more responses.

Sammie said:
You might want to post this on the DVC forums.

As to our experiences we have never had these type of problems. I would definitely expect a clean room and would be upset it if was not.

I would never expect a certain view or balcony and size and definitely nothing for an anniversary that I did not pay for myself and arrange.

We have not had problems at other DVC either.

Thanks - posted there.

To be clear:

1) Expected view as we were willing to move for the view we wanted. View was not delivered. Resort amended by refunding rack rate (sans tax) for night. Not pts - which would have been 56 points.

2) Were disappointed that not even a happy anniversary was said as three separate cast members looked at our reservation, asked my husband's name, my name and our anniversary date and number. One even went so far as to say they send a runner over 'with a surprise'. So yes, you don't expect....until your expectations are set by the person who promises to deliver something. Then when they don't...well that's a different story. In my book anyway. Guess the thing is...promise nothing, say nothing unless you intend to execute in a timely and quality fashion. A Disney resort of all places should know this. At least IMO.

wilderness01 said:
Ok you know on some of this you are going to get flamed right? Except for the dirty room/dirty underwear, everything else was a request and not guaranteed. No matter if they tell you at the desk you are getting a certain thing, it is still not a guarantee. I do think it is dishonest, but this has happened to quite a few people as they say they don't want a handicap room and then that is what they get, etc. Especially regarding your anniversary, really if you wanted some balloons sent, you should have ordered them and had them sent. That should not be expected and if more people think that, then no one will ever receive that as a surprise. Really, I would be happy that I received them last year as a treat and call that a day. I would be very upset about the dirty room, having to wait for a dirty room to be cleaned, being lied to/misled, and finding dirty underwear in your room. These are the things that you need to focus on with your letter. Sorry this happened to you. I am not dismissing your other complaints, but really, from experience, focus on the other things that definately should have been right from the get go and maybe you will receive some satisfaction. I was put in a dirty room, my first trip as well. It was very disheartening to say the least. I was so mad that I did write to the corporate office. The man that finally got back to me was so surprised as this had never occured before, according to him. I laughed and said, ok whatever. I don't think it was a first time occurrence. Good luck to you. Sorry that this happened.

I hope the moderators move this to the DVC boards as you will get more responses.

Sure, flame away - not that I think you did (but others might). If this is the kind of service that people find acceptible then I obviously am in the miniority and it explains why this is what I experienced. If others think this is cool - well, good for you, I guess I hold people to what they promise and if you read carefully you'll see that I stated I understood room views were not guarranteed. I agreed to move and at that point the view became a promise. The manager obviously thought so too....

The room was FILTHY. We're talking never cleaned. Soiled towels on the floor, animal crackers on the floor, stain on the couch, dirty, stinky diaper in the garbage can. I take a deep breath and immediately call housekeeping.

So do you honestly believe that the room -- since it's creation in or about 6 years ago had never been cleaned????????????????????????

How are things at the other DVC resorts? Is this just a bad stay

I don't even own at BCV and I find it hard to believe what you said. IMHO -- based on dozens of other stays at other DVC Resorts--I can only imagine you had "a bad stay" -- 'cause it seems to be nothing like what I have experienced. Either that, or your expectation are so unlike mine that we could never agree on the condition of a room. :confused3

DVCconvert said:
So do you honestly believe that the room -- since it's creation in or about 6 years ago had never been cleaned????????????????????????

LOL, well, ok, you got me. I'm sure it was cleaned some time in 2006 and prior....just not for our check in.

DVCconvert said:
I don't even own at BCV and I find it hard to believe what you said. IMHO -- based on dozens of other stays at other DVC Resorts--I can only imagine you had "a bad stay" -- 'cause it seems to be nothing like what I have experienced. Either that, or your expectation are so unlike mine that we could never agree on the condition of a room. :confused3

Well, that's a comfort. (and I wouldn't make this stuff up!) We do love Disney but we've had more seamless and cleaner stays at a Quality Inn. Though, yes, without stormalong bay and being in the World. So, we'll chalk this one up to a bad experience that they tried to patch somewhat, rest easy that we passed on our thoughts to guest relations and go in fresh next year. :sunny:

Well, that's a comfort.

And that's as it was meant to be! :)

I'm sure -- based on my own experience -- you just had a bad one. We've stayed at BWV/OKW/VB/VWL on points many, many times -- and the rooms (1 bedrooms-grand villas) have always been spotless! :)

I think you should look forward to your next stay! :)....and if there are any problems -- PLEASE-- make management aware of them when you're on property! :)

DVCconvert said:
And that's as it was meant to be! :)

I'm sure -- based on my own experience -- you just had a bad one. We've stayed at BWV/OKW/VB/VWL on points many, many times -- and the rooms (1 bedrooms-grand villas) have always been spotless! :)

I think you should look forward to your next stay! :)....and if there are any problems -- PLEASE-- make management aware of them when you're on property! :)

See? I knew my fellow Dis-ers would help me feel less disappointed and sunny again. Thanks. :goodvibes

Okay....I'm not sure where to begin on this one. I will be the 1st to admit that the policies of "room requests" at BCV are probably the worst in DVC's system. I spoke to the GM about this at the owner's meeting, and he didn't seem concerned about what views owners get...it was disappointing. And, Kudos to you for being willing to move to get your views. However, it seems to me that you may have just had too many requests to get them all met. Because of the architecture at BCV, some rooms have full balconies, and some do not...I seriously doubt that it is in BCV's system as to which rooms do/do not.

I RARELY get my request of views at BCV, and have never been compensated for not getting them....which, IMO is what happened in your case. I cannot even imagine how "ugly" this scene had to get for you to be offered that. In your own words, you "Storm(ed) off to the manager". I cannot imagine it was pretty, and you probably added to the disdainful view that some CM's have for DVC members.

And finally.....Congrats on your anniversary...I hope it was wonderful!!! However, being mad because someone outside your marriage does not recognize it, or even wish you "Happy Anniversary" is silly. Maybe I come from the "other" end of the spectrum....but, I would be SHOCKED if someone (besides my dh) made mention of my anniversary. People visit WDW for "special occasions" all the time....it would be REALLY tough for them to remember everyone's "special" times.

I love my BCV's SOOOO much!! But, the truth is....service there can be VERY spotty. I know CM's get SOOO tired of people requesting Epcot views (that now you can no longer request them). And, most CM's HATE having DVC members in the resort....they feel we are demanding, high-maintenance, and think we "own" the resort. I know this was your first trip home as an owner....and, as a fellow owner, I am deeply saddened by the demands that you made on the resort (switching rooms 2 times which caused the rooms to be cleaned at all of our expense) for you to get your desired view.

I feel so badly for you that you had to change rooms two times....but, really all three rooms were acceptable (once the first room was cleaned), barring the fact that they did not meet your "requests". We would've just written it off as "the luck of the draw", and enjoyed our vacation.

But then, I wouldn't have even noticed that no one was saying, "Happy Anniversary" to me.

Maybe you would do better to own a timeshare where you actually own a particular unit. That way, you could be "guaranteed" your view, and would not have to "storm down to the manager", and get compensated for a free night to get it.

I think you made out pretty well in this situation.

:firefight (Getting ready for the flames)

Beca

Can you explain what a "partial balcony" is compared to a "full balcony"? Is that when you have a 1 or 2 BR villa, but only a balcony off the living room. not extending to the MBR? Where have you stayed for special occassions in the past? I ask because if you've only stayed at OKW, but always got recognized, my experience has been that of all 10 different resorts we've stayed at, OKW was the only place to send balloons or anything to recognize a special event (DS's college graduation, which I'd mentioned at check in, but was so surprised by the balloons).

Beca said:
:firefight (Getting ready for the flames)

Beca

Sorry to disappoint you. You're entitled to your opinion. You're obviously more flexible than I am OR more able to be forgiving as this did not happen to you. Either way I stand by my feelings but no flames here.

Peace. :)

Simba's Mom said:
Can you explain what a "partial balcony" is compared to a "full balcony"? Is that when you have a 1 or 2 BR villa, but only a balcony off the living room. not extending to the MBR? ).

Yes, that's it exactly.

Simba's Mom said:
Where have you stayed for special occassions in the past? I ask because if you've only stayed at OKW, but always got recognized, my experience has been that of all 10 different resorts we've stayed at, OKW was the only place to send balloons or anything to recognize a special event (DS's college graduation, which I'd mentioned at check in, but was so surprised by the balloons).

I'm assuming you mean at Disney, right? In recent years - OKW (twice), Poly (once) and BCV (twice). This was my only experience where the hotel commented on our anniversary, said something to the effect of 'hmmm, we'll have to do something about that' and did not. I want to be clear here - it is not the fact that they didn't send me winged ponies or balloons or something. I'm not Jennifer Anniston. What I take issue with is the fact that they made the comment, they set the expectations and then did not deliver. Esp. after they had made the same mistake - expectation setting - with the room debacle.

Whatever - it's over and next year will be better. And what the heck - it was still a week away from work and at the World!

Why are some people being so hard on the OP? I think it's incredibly disappointing to have high hopes and expectations for your vacation and then have things go wrong. We just got back from our first trip to SSR/BCV as members and quite a few things happened that were not at all what I had envisioned as I dreamed about our vacation. Nothing earth-shattering, but still.... Well, plus I probably wanted things to be too perfect because we brought my parents, and I wanted everything to be so special for them.

So I think it's understandable to want things to be great on your vacation, or at least not to have to deal with big hassles.

shantay1008 said:
Why are some people being so hard on the OP? I think it's incredibly disappointing to have high hopes and expectations for your vacation and then have things go wrong. We just got back from our first trip to SSR/BCV as members and quite a few things happened that were not at all what I had envisioned as I dreamed about our vacation. Nothing earth-shattering, but still.... Well, plus I probably wanted things to be too perfect because we brought my parents, and I wanted everything to be so special for them.

So I think it's understandable to want things to be great on your vacation, or at least not to have to deal with big hassles.

Thanks. Sorry you too had your own tribulations.

Personally I think as long as 'glitches' are allowed to pass without comment they won't be addressed and that's why I chose to comment here as well as to guest services. Things can't improve if they don't think anything needs improving. Just MO.

I'm pretty surprised that they even offered to move you after one night's stay only because of your room requests. I mean, usually once you get in a room and want to switch, I thought they charged you a $25 room cleaning fee.

I agree they shouldn't have promised what they couldn't deliver. Venting here probably made you feel better, but won't do anything more. Hopefully your letter to management will be considered.

I'd love a SE view myself at some point, but people got so rampant requesting that and the Epcot view that it's not even an option for them to put it on a request anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter