• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

basic question room placement

wld

<font color=blue>Enjoyed an anniversary dinner at
Forgive this very ignorant maybe first time cruiser. But as you go up(higher) in the ship are the cabins higher grade or lower grade? Cat 11 is one of the cheapest and as the numbers go lower the rooms get more expensive, right?
Thank You so much.

as you go lower in number such as category 11 is not the same as category 4 and category 4 is not a suite like categories 3,2 and 1. The cheapest are the highest number and they get more expensive the lower the category number goes. As for the height on the decks being relative to the category I think that is the same thing but I dont have a magazine here to look at. Usually the higher priced cabins have balconies and the medium priced ones have a porthole or an infamous secret porthole cabin and then the lowest ones are inside cabins. Also the lower the number it seems the more people the room can accomodate.

Heidi

I think hydster is correct but I did want to clarify one point...

The lower the category number the higher the cost.

and as a general rule....

The lower the category number the higher up on the boat the room is also.

This always intrigued me...for instance it looks to me like a category 5 and a category 6 are the exact same size and layout. Yet the category 5 is more expensive because it's on deck 7 as opposed to category 6 rooms which are on deck 6. For the life of me I can't imagine why being on deck 7 is preferable to being on deck 6. Yet it is so.

Reveric: Our TA told us that you do not have a room guarantee in cat. 6. From reading the boards it doesn't seem true? Would have saved me a couple hundred bucks. Thats ok, I'm in 7100 and am happy with that.

In response to the comment "For the life of me I can't imagine why being on deck 7 is preferable to being on deck 6": There is no really obvious difference. However, people seem to be willing to pay to be higher up on all cruise lines, not just Disney. Moreover, there are 246 staterooms on deck 6, more than on any other deck. There are only 180 on deck 7 (and only 102 on deck 8). So, the corridors on deck 6 are the much more likely to be crowded or noisy. Maybe people are willing to pay just to avoid some of the crowds. Afterall, the difference in price between cat. 5 and cat. 6 is not that large as a percentage of what you are spending for the cruise in either of those categories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter