Bark Collar for very small dog, not a budget buster.

You want me to go elsewhere so you can continue to push this agenda?
Not a chance!
Weird, indeed, that you would endorse abuse of pets.

No one was pushing anything except you. The OP asked a question and it was answered.

And like I have told you before, abuse comes in many forms and ANY training technique can be used in an abusive way.

Please educate yourself, then, if you're going to respond the way you did to a thread like this. This is a serious matter!!!

I respect what you’re trying to do, since you feel so passionately about this, but the way you’re doing it – being combative and unwilling to listen to other people with differing points of view – is making it very hard for people to want to engage in a serious conversation about this.

And again They. Do. Not. ALL. Shock. Like at all.

And on the ones that do IT IS AN OPTION.

You simply keep ignoring what is said.

And I haven’t put you down. I simply said that what you questioned the pp about was something YOU said.

You want us to read your warnings but you refuse to read what others have tried to tell you. For the life of me, I cannot understand how you think a vibration is torture or abuse or whatever you want to call it. If the shock is not used or the collar doesn’t shock at all, how can that be painful?
I am NOT ignoring. I know differently.
What you don't seem to get is that most of the people using these collars have NO IDEA of what they're doing. I've seen it.
You keep saying vibration. This is not accurate.
Did you read any of what I posted from the AMVA?

I respect what you’re trying to do, since you feel so passionately about this, but the way you’re doing it – being combative and unwilling to listen to other people with differing points of view – is making it very hard for people to want to engage in a serious conversation about this.
I really don't care.
If we were having this same conversation about children, it wouldn't have even gotten this far, being so preposterous to think that anyone could possible endorse torture of a child.
This isn't that different.
If you don't like my style, then so be it.
And yes, it is a subject I am VERY passionate about, because pets cannot speak for themselves.

And btw, this thread had quieted down and was floating off into oblivion before YOU decided to post and accuse me of something that was inaccurate. So don't act like you're all innocent here.

And btw, this thread had quieted down and was floating off into oblivion before YOU decided to post and accuse me of something that was inaccurate. So don't act like you're all innocent here.

I tried to be nice here and give you some constructive criticism, but once again you didn’t want to hear anything else. So I’ll just put you on ignore and move on. Have a good night.

I’m not going to give my opinion on this debate but if you stop and think about it, there’s a reason you can’t find these kinds of collars for very small dogs.

I’m a fan of a well trained dog. You just can’t beat the results you get if you take the time in the beginning. Little dogs are yappy by nature and IME take a lot more work than bigger dogs. There is no quick fix IMO.

My dog is reactive and therefore a barker. You can play with her from sun up to sun down and she will bark in her sleep. True story. I try to nip the behavior immediately. If I let her get away with it she will take it to another level. (She’s this way in all things.) If she barks at the door I make her sit and hush. She knows if she barks at the neighbors on their porch she doesn’t get to lay outside and sun her belly. You can see her weighing the consequences and if they’re worth it or not. All of this to say, you make the rules not the dog. Your job is to enforce them. Honestly a “bark collar” isn’t going to fix it. Only good habits will.
I must have missed that, can you point it out?
Eh, you kind of did that Pea. You brought info from another thread, it just happened to be one you participated in. I understand you’re passionate about this but with all due respect being aggressive is not going to get people to listen to you.

Last edited:

I’m not going to give my opinion on this debate but if you stop and think about it, there’s a reason you can’t find these kinds of collars for very small dogs.

I’m a fan of a well trained dog. You just can’t beat the results you get if you take the time in the beginning. Little dogs are yappy by nature and IME take a lot more work than bigger dogs. There is no quick fix IMO.

My dog is reactive and therefore a barker. You can play with her from sun up to sun down and she will bark in her sleep. True story. I try to nip the behavior immediately. If I let her get away with it she will take it to another level. (She’s this way in all things.) If she barks at the door I make her sit and hush. She knows if she barks at the neighbors on their porch she doesn’t get to lay outside and sun her belly. You can see her weighing the consequences and if they’re worth it or not. All of this to say, you make the rules not the dog. Your job is to enforce them. Honestly a “bark collar” isn’t going to fix it. Only good habits will.

Eh, you kind of did that Pea. You brought info from another thread, it just happened to be one you participated in. I understand you’re passionate about this but with all due respect being aggressive is not going to get people to listen to you.
So what if I brought info from another thread? People do that all the time here. The implication was that "went through other peoples' post histories" which simply wasn't true.

"Yikes on "you people" and going through others' post history to build a case against why their opinion is bad."

I take it you've used the shock collar yourself on your barking dog?

So what if I brought info from another thread? People do that all the time here. The implication was that "went through other peoples' post histories" which simply wasn't true.

"Yikes on "you people" and going through others' post history to build a case against why their opinion is bad."

I take it you've used the shock collar yourself on your barking dog?
See this is what I mean. This isn’t like you. I’ve participated in a million threads about pets along with you and I’m pretty sure you know darn well that I have not and would not use one. I’m in favor of a well trained dog as I stated in the post you quoted. And I state that in every pet thread I participate in. I’ve always known you to approach these threads with kindness and patience. I really am floored at how you are going about it now. Lashing out at people is not going to help your case. I do not appreciate you being nasty to me when I tried to be respectful to you. Maybe take a step back. There are better ways to share your message.

I am NOT ignoring. I know differently.
What you don't seem to get is that most of the people using these collars have NO IDEA of what they're doing. I've seen it.
You keep saying vibration. This is not accurate.
Did you read any of what I posted from the AMVA?

It is very accurate for some of the collars and very accurate for owners that use the collar correctly and you cannot possibly know what “most” people do. I have said myself that there are those that use them wrong but that isn’t good enough for you.

And I have seen several owners, including ds and Dd, use the collars correctly. So you see, there are different experiences. Collars specifically for barking, as the op asked for, are not the same as the training collars and many do not shock at all (some of the ones in the link that I posted). I don’t know if the training collars come without the shock but unless someone is needing to stop a dog from doing something dangerous to themselves or someone else, there is no reason to use that feature. If the dog is trained correctly, that won’t be a problem.

All of the collars have a beep, a vibration and if they have a third setting it is a shock. Usually a light shock. Some do not even have the third option. If you look at the link I posted and look on sites that sell these collars you will see that what I am saying is true. So again I ask you, how can a vibration be abusive?

I'm a vet, and a dog sport hobbist and do behavioural consults. Please do not use shock/any sort of punishment collars. There is no need to try and train a dog using punishment in this day and age. It can be a hard one to deal with as barking can be self rewarding. I would recommend a veterinary behaviourist consult, you really need to find out the reason the dog is barking, and maybe working with a good (positive reinforcement) trainer. I have seen very bad burns from shock collars, happily they are illegal in Australia.

See this is what I mean. This isn’t like you. I’ve participated in a million threads about pets along with you and I’m pretty sure you know darn well that I have not and would not use one. I’m in favor of a well trained dog as I stated in the post you quoted. And I state that in every pet thread I participate in. I’ve always known you to approach these threads with kindness and patience. I really am floored at how you are going about it now. Lashing out at people is not going to help your case. I do not appreciate you being nasty to me when I tried to be respectful to you. Maybe take a step back. There are better ways to share your message.
This is so ironic! Why was it ok for someone to bump this thread and very cryptically accuse me of something I didn’t do, then have the gall to tell me to go to another forum? :mad: Why isn’t that poster being called out? No, just me, for “lashing out”? Now I’m nasty and need to take a step back. That’s really funny. People here regularly say much worse. Because my posts are normally kind and patient I can’t take exception to something I find extraordinarily abhorrent? I don’t know what you did or didn’t do with your dog but taking a neutral stand sure makes one question why you would do such a thing when you’ve read what pet and veterinary professionals have to say about this subject matter - even if no one wants to listen to my opinion or that of others here with many years of experience. Idk how many other ways I can convey that these types of devices are cruel and inhumane. Someday we will likely look back and say how we’re they allowed to be sold here for so long?

I'm a vet, and a dog sport hobbist and do behavioural consults. Please do not use shock/any sort of punishment collars. There is no need to try and train a dog using punishment in this day and age. It can be a hard one to deal with as barking can be self rewarding. I would recommend a veterinary behaviourist consult, you really need to find out the reason the dog is barking, and maybe working with a good (positive reinforcement) trainer. I have seen very bad burns from shock collars, happily they are illegal in Australia.
In total agreement! Thank you for posting.

I am glad to see they are illegal in Australia. They should be illegal here too.

Most people using them have no clue what they are doing, and they are slowly torturing their dogs.

And btw, this thread had quieted down and was floating off into oblivion

Yes...yes, it was. :D

For what it's worth, I'm not bothered or offended about any of this. I understand and appreciate your viewpoint, simply don't share it at all.

Yes...yes, it was. :D

For what it's worth, I'm not bothered or offended about any of this. I understand and appreciate your viewpoint, simply don't share it at all.
Good. I was thinking about you. You are an expert in cars and that is respected around here. I have expertise in things, too, and one of them is dogs. I respect your approach here.

See update to my post.
As my right, and how ugly people are talking on here(disborad).
I have decided to walk away from this group that I have been with for years.
To "me" this borads is no longer helpful or polite.
With great sadness, I am formally asking the Mods to lock this account closed.
Good bye to all the people over the years who have helped. I will miss you.

See update to my post.
As my right, and how ugly people are talking on here(disborad).
I have decided to walk away from this group that I have been with for years.
To "me" this borads is no longer helpful or polite.
With great sadness, I am formally asking the Mods to lock this account closed.
Good bye to all the people over the years who have helped. I will miss you.

If you read here again, there are several collars that do not shock at all. One has some kind of spray, not sure about that. But some of the ones that receive excellent reviews and seem to have worked for many people do not shock and only vibrate. Most aren’t terribly expensive. Check chewy.com. They seem to have several options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!