Backpack inspection

Umbrellas and glasses cases plus putting phone above scanner have gotten us through.

Last trip my friend got pulled aside every single time and I never did. They said her power bank for recharging her phone was what set it off. Except, I also had one. Mine never went off.

What items in your backpack will trigger a backpack inspection? We plan to bring soft drinks in cans. Will we need to take them out as we go through the backpack inspection device? What has triggered a bag inspection for you recently?
OK, not a Disney thing, but I have always thought this was funny. I got pulled aside for a visual inspection of my carry-on. No prob. After they were done & sent me on my way, I asked, "OK, I know I'm not a bad guy, but if you tell me what caused this inspection, I'll know not to do it next time." He said a hunk of parmesan cheese (a gag gift I'd just received) looks like explosives on the x-ray. OK, well, now I know, although I can't see too many occasions when I'd get on a plane with a pound of parmesan in my bag....

OK, not a Disney thing, but I have always thought this was funny. I got pulled aside for a visual inspection of my carry-on. No prob. After they were done & sent me on my way, I asked, "OK, I know I'm not a bad guy, but if you tell me what caused this inspection, I'll know not to do it next time." He said a hunk of parmesan cheese (a gag gift I'd just received) looks like explosives on the x-ray. OK, well, now I know, although I can't see too many occasions when I'd get on a plane with a pound of parmesan in my bag....
We got bomb searched last time at the airport for a whole bunch of workout supplements in ziplocs. That was fun. I'll leave the preworkout at home next time...

I take a large ziploc bag and EVERYTHING metal or "hard" goes in that bag.

After holding out in front at arms length through the scanner,I continue holding it in that manner and hold it where Security at the "screen" can look at it if they want.

Most wave me on through without looking at the ziploc and a few will take a quick look.

NEVER sent to the dreaded table!lol

On our last trip, my daughter and I used the same bags with exactly the same things in them each day. We went thru Security 5 days with no alerts - she can’t get out of her wheelchair, so I carried both of our bags the same way each time. On the 6th day, both of our bags alerted and I had to take them to the table; both were cleared, but nothing was found. The next 2 times, only my bag alerted, but they never found anything. They said it was probably just how things had settled in the bag.

Power banks for us.

Every.
Single.
Time.

To the point where my wife just tried holding it in her hand as she walked through the scanner but they still would pull her aside and request a backpack check.
Only time I set it off, I think it was a power bank. I was holding it in my hand, but made the mistake of holding power bank AND the bag strap in the same hand. Or at least that is what the guard told me. Even though I was holding it outside of the bag, and in front of me it was too close to the bag. And the bag otherwise was just cloth with jackets inside.

The last time we went, if I had a bag or purse, we had to go thru a line to have your items searched. You don't do that anymore? Everyone walks thru a metal detector?

The last time we went, if I had a bag or purse, we had to go thru a line to have your items searched. You don't do that anymore? Everyone walks thru a metal detector?
Yep, and you just walk through single file. Any large metal items like umbrellas, power packs, sunglass cases (even if just a metal clasp or hinge) should be held out in front of you. If they see something of concern you’re sent to the side for further checking. Strollers, wheelchairs and scooters go through a separate line and have a manual inspection. It’s a breeze to go through security now!

Yep, and you just walk through single file. Any large metal items like umbrellas, power packs, sunglass cases (even if just a metal clasp or hinge) should be held out in front of you. If they see something of concern you’re sent to the side for further checking. Strollers, wheelchairs and scooters go through a separate line and have a manual inspection. It’s a breeze to go through security now!
And if you get sent to the side for the manual check it usually goes pretty fast since there are not that many people over there. I've had to do it a couple of times and since I've usually just taken my charger or umbrella or water bottle out of my bag, it is already unzipped and open and ready for inspection. I think one time the zippers on my fanny pack were the issue, otherwise the security person couldn't figure it out. I had my phone and charger in my hands, held out in front of me. My fanny pack had a mask and some individual packs of wipes in a ziplock bag and a disposable poncho. That was it. Dude went through all the compartments, grinned at me and said I must just look like some dangerous woman cause he couldn't find a thing (I'm a small 65 year old gray haired woman). We both laughed and off I went.

And if you get sent to the side for the manual check it usually goes pretty fast since there are not that many people over there. I've had to do it a couple of times and since I've usually just taken my charger or umbrella or water bottle out of my bag, it is already unzipped and open and ready for inspection. I think one time the zippers on my fanny pack were the issue, otherwise the security person couldn't figure it out. I had my phone and charger in my hands, held out in front of me. My fanny pack had a mask and some individual packs of wipes in a ziplock bag and a disposable poncho. That was it. Dude went through all the compartments, grinned at me and said I must just look like some dangerous woman cause he couldn't find a thing (I'm a small 65 year old gray haired woman). We both laughed and off I went.
I agree. DH gets pulled over about half the time, and they frequently can’t figure out why! As you say, it doesn’t take long, so we’re just thankful Disney installed those scanners and eliminated the long, slow lines checking every bag.

I agree. DH gets pulled over about half the time, and they frequently can’t figure out why! As you say, it doesn’t take long, so we’re just thankful Disney installed those scanners and eliminated the long, slow lines checking every bag.
Yes,VERY thankful!!!!

Going from the old machines to the new machines feels like going from flip phones to Smartphones!lol

Eyeglass/sunglasses case. I take them out every time and hold in front of me when I go through. It happened way too many times in the past so then they told me what triggered it.

My friend says she's "the poster child for We Do Not Profile" -- red hair, very light skin, blue eyes, thick CT accent.

I was told by one of the people inspecting bags that the number 1 item is eyeware cases , said to leave them home if you can .

I was told by one of the people inspecting bags that the number 1 item is eyeware cases , said to leave them home if you can .
Is that the metal ones? Yeah, I can see that.

I worked at a spy museum for a while & stocked up on RFID blockers from the gift shop. I can say for a fact that these suckers work! When I forget that I have them, I get stopped. Once I was going through security in an office building & had my wallets (yes, plural!) in an RFID-blocking bag the size of a cosmetic case or small notebook. The guard at the x-ray machine was really confused & finally asked if I had some sort of notebook or binder with me. I took it out of my backpack & offered it for inspection, but made a mental note that they really work. Despite the exttra work, I will continue to travel with them because it's even MORE work to replace credit cards & deal with identity theft.

My friend says she's "the poster child for We Do Not Profile" -- red hair, very light skin, blue eyes, thick CT accent.
Well now you have me curious as to what a CT accent is!

Just returned from WDW and was stopped every single time, including all 4 parks and the monorail platform at the Poly. For me, it was my glasses case and block charger. Not until the last day did they tell me this .... and to hold it far away from your body as you walk through the metal detector. Wish I would've known sooner!

One time I park hopped and alarmed at the second park without alarming at the first. I wouldn't be surprised if they are set to randomly alarm sometimes.

I know TSA does this with Precheck. I alarmed at the metal detector and they didn't pat me down in an attempt to resolve the alarm - they swabbed my electronics in my carryon.

We got stopped every time with our diaper bag and eventually figured out it was because we had put cans of sunscreen and bug spray together in one of the inside pockets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter