Backpack inspection

tigger2002

DIS Veteran
What items in your backpack will trigger a backpack inspection? We plan to bring soft drinks in cans. Will we need to take them out as we go through the backpack inspection device? What has triggered a bag inspection for you recently?

The main things that will set it off are umbrellas and glasses cases. Laptops set it off as well, so I’m guessing some cameras will as well.

I carry an aluminum reusable water bottle, it typically doesn’t set it off but every once in a while it does.

For umbrellas and glasses cases they ask that you hold it out straight in front of you as you go through the scanner.

My method is anything with metal I try to hold in my hands away from my person as I walk through. I always hold my metal water bottle and power bank out in front of my and I have not been stopped 95% of the time while doing this. Once I had an old light up pin on my backpack and that mysteriously set it off, so sometimes it’s things you least expect.

What items in your backpack will trigger a backpack inspection? We plan to bring soft drinks in cans. Will we need to take them out as we go through the backpack inspection device? What has triggered a bag inspection for you recently?
A knife will... Saw someone get a huge knife confiscated. Dude said he needed it for protection. Like... seriously?

I’ve had a can of bug spray set it off, when I held it in front of me like an umbrella no issues. I had a small metal container with first aid stuff that set it off as well, I just stopped bringing that because you can only hold so much out in front of you 😆

Umbrellas!
They did not tell us this until the end of our visit.
We thought we were just very unlucky.

Umbrellas, power banks, cell phones. I hold them all out in front of me. Or I hook my umbrella on an outside hook and since they can see it, it usually is o.k.

Routinely walk with my backpack in front of me and rarely get pulled in any of the Orlando parks.

Battery pack and cords, foil wrapped chocolate bars, bubble machines and car keys are always in it.
We bring water in plastic bottles and a chocolate for 11ses unless we're hitting a festival.

I think the cell phone is overkill unless you have some really clunky one.
I've been pulled aside twice. One of the times the cell phone was in my fanny pack. I read on this board it wasn't necessary to pull it out. The guard told me it was what triggered it since I had nothing else in the fanny pack except for soft things like masks, poncho, hand sanitizer. The other time I had on a lounge fly backpack and the umbrella was in it. I just forgot to pull it out.

On our last visit we were told umbrella, cell phone (>1 that are near each other, I believe) power banks and glass cases will set off the metal detector. By the end of our trip we finally got it worked out to leave all of those things on the strollers and were making it through without getting stopped

I took the same things every day and only triggered it once—power bank, metal water bottle, can of soda. Carried my camera in front of me every time but I keep that in my hand anyway. Daughter had the same stuff and triggered twice. They were very quick with checking though, since they don’t have the long lines anymore. It’s really awesome now.

For me, it was the battery pack, umbrella and camera. Once I pulled those out and held them in front of me, never been stopped again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter