August W.I.S.H. Challenge - The Sunday of Summer

Good morning all! For some reason I stopped getting notified when the board is updated...odd. Hope everyone in TX/LA surrounding areas are doing ok.
Anyway back is slowly getting better I can stand/walk pretty easily but not pick things up. Hoping to be able to get out for a decent walk this weekend. Did ask my doc and he explained it feels like all my stomach muscle is gone because your back muscles and stomach muscles cant be tight at the same time. So as my back continues to loosen my stomach tone can be worked on/will come back.
In other news oldest DS and DD had their annual doc appointments this week. DD is 37 inches tall at 2 years old...to level set I am 5 feet.
Took today off (not that there is a lot to do) but one of the scout moms and her kids are coming by to plan the first few meetings so yay! Will be nice for the kids to hang out and a change to see another non-relative adult in 3d.
Had a chat with some of my friends last night over house party which we try to do weekly. Hopefully this will continue post-civil as we are spread across 4 states and getting together is really tough.
Have a great day everyone! And a nice weekend!

My DH installed the portable A/C. After 90 minutes, the unit showed the temperature holding steady at 89 degrees. It's probably not big enough for my room. Then again, he got it going at 2pm in a 90 degree room. I have a morning workshop in another school (hopefully air conditioned), so I won't be getting to my building until 11am. So, I will turn it on when I arrive. We will see how it does after 4 hours. Monday I will be doing remote trainings all day in my classroom, so I will be able to turn it on at 8am. That will be the true test. If it doesn't work out, at least we tried.

I'm in a large school, Pre-K -8, on a very large campus. In our building, we have people like me with health issues, one teacher was on his death bed a good part of last year, and even he was denied remote teaching from home. Then we have healthy older adults who are cautious. Finally, we have the kids 21-29, who all think they are invincible and ignore social distancing and play with their masks. (And people wonder why we worry how the kids will do?) The past two days I have had to deal with my colleagues walking around my hallway without masks on and getting far too close to me. One of them was spewing about how she plans on leaving her mask off in the classroom and giving the kids long mask breaks...like all day long. I reported her to my union rep. I felt like such a Narc, but her blatant disregard for our safety and the rules is outrageous. I didn't sleep well last night worrying about catching Covid from one of them or their students. I woke up from a fitful nightmare and texted all of the girls on my floor refusing to wear a mask. They apologized. So, we shall see what happens...

Had a lovely visit with my doctor yesterday. She's a very old school naturopath and every appointment is an hour, so we can talk and she can get a clear idea of what is going on. She said she was pleased with what I'm doing, but I told her I wish I felt better, because most days I don't feel all that great. We're going to do blood work again and a couple other lab tests. I do feel better this morning, I'm down 2 of the 4 pounds I need to lose to get back to my June weight and my ankles, which swelled up when we had the 100+ degree weather, are pretty much back to normal. Plus my blood sugar was 110 this morning, which is pretty phenomenal for me. I'm working thru the emotional turmoil caused by taking on this extra work, and reminding myself that it is normal to be stressed when you have to stretch and learn new stuff, and learn how to work with new people.

I've been in kind of a funky mood this week (because of the above) but it seems to have cleared up a bit this morning. Even the thought of finally getting a kitten has been stressful, bringing a new being in to the household is really going to shake things up, and I so want to make the right choice. I want to walk in and have her call to me and let me know for sure she's the one. And I want Whitehall to accept her and be happy with her company. After my beach drive this morning I cleaned the car up a bit and am feeling more prepared for the trip. Tonight I'll load up stuff for their garage sale, because I'll need to be on the 6:45am boat in the morning.... I'll be rolling out of bed into my clothes and jetting down to the dock.

To all out there. Anyone else feeling guilty but like...way more than you should? So unfortunately the planning/playdate got canceled today and DS is bummed to say the least.
And I have found myself feeling guilty for his feelings. Normally he is a pretty understanding kid but this year has just been one disappointment after another.
Like how do you cope? I just feel so bad. Again normally a postponed play date would be nothing more than concern for the other family followed by an hour or so of "ho-hum." But everything feels so big and heavy right now. Like the straw that broke the camel's back...on top of my not functioning back!
How are you all handling the disappointment that has been around every turn? Big or small disappointments...its getting old.

To all out there. Anyone else feeling guilty but like...way more than you should? So unfortunately the planning/playdate got canceled today and DS is bummed to say the least.
And I have found myself feeling guilty for his feelings. Normally he is a pretty understanding kid but this year has just been one disappointment after another.
Like how do you cope? I just feel so bad. Again normally a postponed play date would be nothing more than concern for the other family followed by an hour or so of "ho-hum." But everything feels so big and heavy right now. Like the straw that broke the camel's back...on top of my not functioning back!
How are you all handling the disappointment that has been around every turn? Big or small disappointments...its getting old.

I think the things that have helped me the most are knowing that it is OK to not be OK, that feelings are meant to be felt, and to be kind and gentle with yourself while you feel your way thru. I've also learned that when I'm at max stress, I can't curl up in a ball and hide or try to eat my way out, I need to move to get the stress and emotions moving thru me.

You’re right, small disappointments seem much bigger right now. It’s ok to feel that way- but I see my grandson being more resilient than I would have expected when all this began. I feel so bad he isn’t playing sports, playing with friends, going to school. But I think he takes his cues from his parents-if they roll with it he does as well. But I think we’re all allowed our moments. And I find kids get over their moments quicker than we do!

I have these two quotes on the clip rail above my desk:

The one in the right came from right here on the DIS, early in the pandemic (around here, at least) when we had just canceled our trip to Universal.

The one on the left was a Pinterest find, which I’ve shared on the DIS before. DH and I use “down day on the coronacoaster” as shorthand to let each other know when we’re struggling.

So, allow yourselves to “feel your feelings”. Take the time to name them. And then remind yourself that kids are really resilient. Their whole lives, even under normal circumstances, are basically a series of rapid changes to the status quo. - You’re too young for this, then too old for that, and it changes all the time. They are programmed for adaptability, and they will make it through this too.

As an extra little insurance policy for disappointments, though, I do have one practical idea: Sit down with whichever kid(s) is/are old enough and write some fun activity ideas down on slips of paper. (You can even sneak in a couple of really good surprises if you like.) Find a jar or a box or even an old hat, and fill it with the slips. When something gets canceled, pull one out and enjoy the replacement activitiy instead.

Feeling sad today. DS2 is heading back to college. he has a voice lesson in half an hour (which are alway so lovely to listen to) then time for a short visit/finish that last minute packing moment and off he and DH will go to the airport. It was really fun to shop for a few gotta have items--some of them mom insisted on--like hand sanitizer!!!! It's just nice to be with your children!

Had one of the twins ask me this morning when I was going to weed the flower beds. "Aunt Linda, the grass is really tall in here!" That might be a nice task to accomplish later this afternoon, providing I can stand the 80 degree heat!

I am having a lovely weekend with family-beach time, long walks, good meals and lots of laughing. After everyone leaves tomorrow I will work in my little yard while waiting for some deliveries. Then I will sit on the deck and read.

Hoping those of you headed back to school and all the other worker bees are extra kind to yourself today.

I slept in today (until 8). In a few minutes, I’ll go do my stretching workout. Then today is also my food prep day. I have a grocery pickup today. Then I’m going to prep my lunches for the week and make one meal to reheat and prep other veggies for meals throughout the week. Hubby is golfing this morning and kids sleep in (much later than mom). So the house is nice and quiet :)

I’m currently outside, with cat #2, but it isn’t feeling very “self care like” this morning - it’s that sort of hot in the sun/chilly in the shade point of the day, I’m not super into any of the books I’m reading, and I think I’d actually find getting things done in the house more refreshing right now.

I did, however, do yoga in addition to my regular treadmill walking yesterday, so at least I got a jump on that. It was really good for my back, which had been stiff in a certain spot and felt much better this morning.

Well, here she is:

Meet Pippa the Conqueror.

So far things are going very well. Whitehall hisses at her, but is fascinated and will watch her, then move away. She's sniffed her nose to nose a couple times, which is pretty intimate for cats. Pippi is very confident and pretty much fearless: after a long ride in the car (we had an hour and a half wait for the ferry so it was over four hours), she cautiously explored the house, ate, drank and used the litter box (all good signs) then took a good long nap under the sofa. When she woke up she was settled in and claimed the house as hers. She has also claimed me as her person. They both slept on the bed last night, Pippa at the foot and Whitehall wrapped around my head. I was feeling sad yesterday because it is pretty obvious Whitehall is going to be going back to being second fiddle, but then thought maybe that suits her best. It took Mike three days to accept Whitehall, and I think we are on a similar schedule , maybe a little faster. I'm really looking forward to them being BFFs.

Self-care plans for today are a lot of playing with Pippa. I'll get the stuff I didn't take to the pet rescue ready to go to GW. I'll stop by the bookstore to get a new book, because I actually read my last book in one week. Towards the middle it dragged, seeming like she was piling on so much tragedy and I was just wading thru, but as she tied everything together it made sense how it all fit, so I would say it was a very good book. And I have to go to the grocery store, but need to think about what to get first. The avocado toast for breakfast is working, so probably salad fixings for lunch. There, I guess I thought about it!

Well, here she is:

View attachment 522718

Meet Pippa the Conqueror.

So far things are going very well. Whitehall hisses at her, but is fascinated and will watch her, then move away. She's sniffed her nose to nose a couple times, which is pretty intimate for cats. Pippi is very confident and pretty much fearless: after a long ride in the car (we had an hour and a half wait for the ferry so it was over four hours), she cautiously explored the house, ate, drank and used the litter box (all good signs) then took a good long nap under the sofa. When she woke up she was settled in and claimed the house as hers. She has also claimed me as her person. They both slept on the bed last night, Pippa at the foot and Whitehall wrapped around my head. I was feeling sad yesterday because it is pretty obvious Whitehall is going to be going back to being second fiddle, but then thought maybe that suits her best. It took Mike three days to accept Whitehall, and I think we are on a similar schedule , maybe a little faster. I'm really looking forward to them being BFFs.

Self-care plans for today are a lot of playing with Pippa. I'll get the stuff I didn't take to the pet rescue ready to go to GW. I'll stop by the bookstore to get a new book, because I actually read my last book in one week. Towards the middle it dragged, seeming like she was piling on so much tragedy and I was just wading thru, but as she tied everything together it made sense how it all fit, so I would say it was a very good book. And I have to go to the grocery store, but need to think about what to get first. The avocado toast for breakfast is working, so probably salad fixings for lunch. There, I guess I thought about it!

I'm so happy for you and your darling kitties. Congratulations!

Yesterday, we got the remnants of Hurricane Laura and fared quite well. We have been very fortunate as towns around us have been hit badly by the thunderstorms and tornadoes (I thought those just happened in Tornado Alley in the Midwest). Westport has basically been without power now for over 3 weeks...as power is restored, another storm hits and knocks it out. I'm feeling very grateful that we only had to go 4-5 days without power.

For the first time ever, I'm actually looking forward to fall...normally, I would be clinging to summer. Fall is a rather frustrating and depressing time for me as the new school year is always a struggle, trying to lay down routines and behavioral management with children who have never heard the word, "No". Autumn's cooler temperatures signal to me that the shorter, darker, freezing cold, icy winter days are just around the corner.

Instead, I really just want to push through the rest of 2020 and emerge in a better and more hopeful place in 2021. So, bring it on! Let's get through this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!