Anyone have experience with Synvisc or Euflexxa Injections?

Blondie

~*~*~*~<br><font color=blue>This TF always enjoys
I get my first injeciton on March 7th and I'm still a little uneasy about getting the series done. Not because I'm afraid of needles, 'cause I'm not.

I'm more concerned that it's only been FDA approved since about 2004 and to me, that's still relatively new for a medication.

So, has anyone here had it done, or know anyone who has?

I have no experience, but wanted to tell you that ivillage has some busy arthritis boards. I'm sure someone there could help you! Hope it helps your pain.

Thanks Luvwinnie, I'll have to check that out!

I'll continue to bump this up every so often until my appointment in hopes a DISer has had some exeperience.

I had Euflexxa shots done in August. The Doctor gave me the first series and the knee that was the worst didn't hurt at all and the second knee that wasn't quite as bad as the first was a little painful. The second series was done by his assistant. WOW, while the bad knee hurt a little, the other one I almost jumped off the table it was so painful. It also bleed a lot, which it didn't do the first time.

For the 3rd series I made sure the Doctor was giving the shots. Once again they weren't as painful.

I have to say they were really a waste because they didn't work. I ended up having one of the knees totally replaced in December and am waiting until I have enough vacation time saved up to have the next one done.

I tired steroids on 4 different times and those didn't work either. The Doctor told me that they were just too far gone for anything other than total replacement.

I had talked to other people that have had much better luck than I did with them. I have been told that if your knees aren't totally gone, they will work much better. The first Doctor I was seeing basically ignored me when I told them how bad they hurt and did nothing for them. By the time I saw the new Doctor he said that because they were in such bad shape there really wasn't much he could do. We tired the steroids, leg braces, PT and the last resort was the Euflexxa shots.

Good luck, I hope they work for you. They are a lot less painful and cheaper than a total replacement!!

Dh had the Synvisc injection last summer for his knee , he had very little natural fluid in his knee cap so he tried the injections.They where painful the first 24 hours but he hasn't had any problems with his knee since.If memory serves me correctly I think the Dr. said that he may need them again later on !:)

Thanks!

I'm having my first injection this afternoon! :scared1:

Thanks Deb! I'm back and I survived!

It's a little sore below the injection site though.

My right knee was badly damaged in 2000. In 2004 I had Synvisc injections. The first time my knee hurt so bad I was in ER that night and received heavy pain meds. The other 2 injections did not have that effect on me. But the Synvisc did nothing to help my knee. Good luck!! Its hell having knee problems. My Docs want me to get replacement surgery, no way! I'm to young and I need to work. And being in health care myself I see all the surgeries that didn't work and the patients that are worse off with there new knees. I keep going with pain meds. Once again I hope this works for you. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

So far, so good!

When I had a cortisone injection, about this time afterwards I was hurting big time!

I have no pain at all at the moment from either the injection or my OA! Hope it continues!

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Okay, I had the second injection last week and had soreness for two days on the opposite side of the knee where the injection was given.

Today he did something a little different. Instead of sitting on the exam table with my legs dangling and having him inject the Synvisc that way, he had me lay down with my right knee slightly bent (he put something under it.)

First he injected Lidocaine. He told me there would be a slight burn, it felt cold at first, then it burned. Then it hurt. Then I just about jumped off the table and said the "s" word when he hit something in there (nerve or bone perhaps?) He did this so that when he did the Synvisc injection he could move the needle around to get it exactly where he wanted the medication to be.

And now I am so sore, I mean really, really sore! It is so hard to sit down or stand up now!

I hope this has been worth it all, we'll see!

I am about to pass out just hearing about this. :faint: I sure hope it's worth it and that you feel better soon:)

I get my first injeciton on March 7th and I'm still a little uneasy about getting the series done. Not because I'm afraid of needles, 'cause I'm not.

I'm more concerned that it's only been FDA approved since about 2004 and to me, that's still relatively new for a medication.

So, has anyone here had it done, or know anyone who has?

I have osteoarthritis in my left knee and had my first Synvisc treatment in August 2005...the relief was almost immediate and by the 3rd and final injection my knee felt better than it had in years...I'm fairly active as i walk a couple of miles a night and referee high school hockey...the first treatment lasted about 11 months and then the throbbing pain started back up slowly...I went back to the doctor and received my second injections starting in September 2006...even though the osterarthritis has progressed the treatments helped tremendously again...based on how the Synvisc has helped me I would highly recommend continuing...it is not a narcotic so you can get them year to year without side affects...good luck:thumbsup2

I forgot to ask how frequently the series can be given, but you just answered it for me Mayor, thanks. I didn't know if it was a once a year thing or what. I'll get more details at my 6 week re-check.

The total cost for the 3 injections (meds alone, fee for injecting is separate) was $850, my insurance covered all but $156 and some change. I guess it's cheaper than a knee replacement, which I'm too young for anyway.

I forgot to ask how frequently the series can be given, but you just answered it for me Mayor, thanks. I didn't know if it was a once a year thing or what. I'll get more details at my 6 week re-check.

The total cost for the 3 injections (meds alone, fee for injecting is separate) was $850, my insurance covered all but $156 and some change. I guess it's cheaper than a knee replacement, which I'm too young for anyway.

My doctor told me it depends how active you are...some people that run, ski, play tennis, ect. get them more frequent, like every 6 months...mine last about a year.

I don't run, ski or play tennis, so I should be good to go!

He did explain that I could get anywhere from 6 months to a year (possibly longer) of pain relief.

I don't run, ski or play tennis, so I should be good to go!

He did explain that I could get anywhere from 6 months to a year (possibly longer) of pain relief.

Is it working for you?...I swear by it...my knee feels so good after having the injections.

I haven't noticed any major changes yet. It does feel like my knee is stronger, but I'm still having the same pain that I had prior to the injection series. Some people feel instant relief, others take a while. I guess I'm one of those others. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter