Anyone concerned about the "mosquito" talk?

The mosquitos that carry Zika are found on all continents except for Antartica. So yeah it's found all over the world but obviously not every square foot of the globe. That's still globally. I can elaborate further if you still aren't understanding.
It may be found on every continent (I have not checked the accuracy of that claim) but only one type of specific mosquito is able to carry the virus.

Hi everyone!
So for the first time ever, we have a Disney trip planned for mid-January! I've never gone that time of year, so I did have a question.... (after doing a search, I saw more things relating to warmer months when it came to this topic....)

How are the mosquitos in January? Is it too cold for them? Are there any that time of year?

DH and I are trying to get pregnant. I may or may not be pregnant for our Disney trip in January - only time will tell.

But I'm wondering if I have to worry about the whole Zika/mosquito thing in January. I've never had problems with mosquitos in Disney EVER (30 years of Disney trips here), but I've also never had to think from the perspective of a pregnant person. I know it can be cold that time of year, even in Disney. Cold enough to kill off the mosquitos for a bit?

Just trying to think and plan ahead. Thanks all!

Last edited:
as someone who is pregnant and leaving in a few weeks- i still have all intentions of going. my doctor has so far given the green light and the cdc is warning only about a specific area in Miami. I have purchased new bug spray, and bracelets and will look into wipes that people mentioned. That being said, i will continue to watch the CDC guidelines and i will keep in touch with my doctor..if at any point I'm advised not to go, even if its the day before, then i will cancel. everyone has to make their own choices based on the guidelines and information out there. I am, at this point, still comfortable traveling to WDW.

I am currently 22 weeks pregnant and we are pretty sure we are going to cancel our upcoming September trip. I was talking to my dad last night (he lives just south of Disney) about this same subject because I was thinking we could maybe reschedule for one of the cooler weather months. He says the mosquitos never really go away because it doesn't get cold and stay cold long enough. He said he actually notices them less during the hottest months, and more so from the November-February timeframe, probably because it's cooler and they are out more often. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear lol. If it were me I'd either delay trying to conceive until after your trip or just continue to monitor what the CDC says about the situation and discuss it with your doctor.

Hi everyone!
So for the first time ever, we have a Disney trip planned for mid-January! I've never gone that time of year, so I did have a question.... (after doing a search, I saw more things relating to warmer months when it came to this topic....)

How are the mosquitos in January? Is it too cold for them? Are there any that time of year?

DH and I are trying to get pregnant. I may or may not be pregnant for our Disney trip in January - only time will tell.

But I'm wondering if I have to worry about the whole Zika/mosquito thing in January. I've never had problems with mosquitos in Disney EVER, but I've also never had to think from the perspective of a pregnant person. I know it can be cold that time of year, even in Disney. Cold enough to kill off the mosquitos for a bit?

Merging over to the "Mosquito" thread that has a lot of pertinent info.

Hi everyone!

But I'm wondering if I have to worry about the whole Zika/mosquito thing in January. I've never had problems with mosquitos in Disney EVER, but I've also never had to think from the perspective of a pregnant person. I know it can be cold that time of year, even in Disney. Cold enough to kill off the mosquitos for a bit?

My CM friend performed year-round in Fantasmic, and she used Deep Woods OFF wipes and sprayed her costume pieces with repellent on a nightly basis. All the performers in the locker room knew she was in the show by the scent of the repellents in the air.

I've been bitten by mosquitos in December and in mid-February before I learned to always apply OFF wipes before dusk whenever I'm in Florida.

The mosquitos that carry Zika are found on all continents except for Antartica. So yeah it's found all over the world but obviously not every square foot of the globe. That's still globally. I can elaborate further if you still aren't understanding.

Yes, please do elaborate.
Your original statement:
Don;t worry.. after the Olympics zika will spread all across the globe. Apparently if a mosquito bites someone who has been infected they then get the disease and can spread it. You just KNOW that a percent of folks in RIO will get bitten. Soon it won't matter if you are in FL or NY...
is alarmist and false.
The mosquitoes that can transmit the Zika virus are not even present throughout the US, let alone the entire world. You are making it sound like it's going to become a worldwide epidemic, when it's simply not - no matter how many times you explain that you think that "present on an area of every continent" means an epidemic of global proportions. This is based on everything that is currently known about Zika and its transmission routes.

Last edited:
It may be found on every continent (I have not checked the accuracy of that claim) but only one type of specific mosquito is able to carry the virus.

two types of mosquitoes - the aedes aegypti and the aedes albopictus...
though they're both from the aedes genus, they are two different species of mosquitoes...

here's wikipedia on the aedes genus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aedes

from wikipedia on the aedes aegypti species:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aedes_aegypti

from wikipedia on the aedes albopictus species:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aedes_albopictus

where i live, we don't have aedes aegypti, but we do have aedes albopictus (a very invasive species of mosquito)...

Hi everyone!

The only advice I can offer is to keep up with the news on how and where it is spreading. It is at a point now where new information is coming out daily/weekly so a lot can change in the next few weeks and months.

here is the CDC map of the estimated range of the aedes aegypti and aedes albopictus in the US
http://www.cdc.gov/zika/vector/range.html

in the rest of the world, one or the other or both can be found in almost every tropical/subtropical and many temperate climates...
they can be found in parts of europe, the mideast, asia (where the aedes albopictus is originally from), africa (where the aedes aegypti is originally from), and australia

there are maps of their worldwide distribution on the internet...

as i already posted, where i live we don't have aedes aegypti (interesting since we are located so close to africa, but it's a less invasive species), but we do have aedes albopictus (a very invasive species that made its way from asia around the world via shipping...)

My CM friend performed year-round in Fantasmic, and she used Deep Woods OFF wipes and sprayed her costume pieces with repellent on a nightly basis. All the performers in the locker room knew she was in the show by the scent of the repellents in the air.

I've been bitten by mosquitos in December and in mid-February before I learned to always apply OFF wipes before dusk whenever I'm in Florida.

I guess I'm lucky because I have been in March, May, October, and December and have never been bitten by a mosquito. And I know when I have been bitten, as I tend to puff up.

I'm done having kids, but I'm also a worrier. I think the question I would ask myself is if I were bitten by a mosquito while on vacation, would I spend the rest of the vacation (and months afterward) worrying and agonizing about the effects of that bite. It wouldn't bother me now, and we are still going this fall, but like I said we're done having kids. Otherwise I'd postpone.

One thing to also consider is that the CDC is currently recommending anyone who is pregnant and traveled to this area since June 15 be tested for zika. This means it was a month and a half of people being potentially exposed and not know it. While it may be okay to travel to Orlando right now, there is no way to know what they will say 6 weeks from now about what you could have been exposed to.

Well according to the map they keep showing on the news, pretty much all of Texas is covered. I have no intentions of ever being pregnant, so I'm just gearing up for the flu like part.

It wasn't that long ago they were saying it isn't in the US and could only affect people in the Caribbean now it is here, we are going to have a lot more cases, of that I'm sure. Nature always finds a way.

Just like it is not Disney's responsibility to tell people that there are alligators in Florida, it is also not their responsibility to tell people that there are mosquitos.

People have to take personal responsibility and make their own informed decisions.

For what it's worth, I've gone to WDW for over 30 years and don't remember ever getting bitten. That includes several stays at Fort Wilderness

Yeah, it might not be Disney's responsibility to tell people there are alligators in Florida but it is their responsibility to tell them they may be in the lake at the beach right outside of their hotel room, you know where Disney placed chairs that overlooked the lake and where Disney only said not to swim, never mentioned their might be an alligator lurking in the lake.

Yeah, it might not be Disney's responsibility to tell people there are alligators in Florida but it is their responsibility to tell them they may be in the lake at the beach right outside of their hotel room, you know where Disney placed chairs that overlooked the lake and where Disney only said not to swim, never mentioned their might be an alligator lurking in the lake.

I disagree. To me they are no more responsible for gators and mosquitoes than they are for snakes or rats or sunburn. People should not shut off their brains when they go on vacation. If you are outside anywhere you should consider that there are things that may not be too friendly. Be it pick pockets or scorpions or bears or snakes or gators or mosquitoes.

Agreed, no hiding in the home, here either. But my point is people who aren't planning on getting pregnant can be concerned too. Just because there is no perceived risk doesn't mean we know what happens in a year or 2 or 3. IMO everyone should take precautions, especially if they are pregnant or trying to become pregnant.

You are 100% right. I recently read about a young male that became paralyzed from contracting the West Nile Virus. Also, people sometimes get Guillian Barre Syndrome from viruses. Too many people say, there is "no" need to worry and that is just not true.

I disagree. To me they are no more responsible for gators and mosquitoes than they are for snakes or rats or sunburn. People should not shut off their brains when they go on vacation. If you are outside anywhere you should consider that there are things that may not be too friendly. Be it pick pockets or scorpions or bears or snakes or gators or mosquitoes.

No sorry, don't agree. I am from NJ. We have stayed in the GF with small children. Their "no swimming" signs, mean just that, no swimming. It does not mean don't put your feet in the water became an alligator might come and snatch you. Sorry, Disney 100% responsible for knowing a danger and not alerting people who are not aware of the dangers on THEIR property.

What scary too, is that people who have had ebola and recovered, many have had long lasting or recurring medical issues. Do your research.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter