Anyone concerned about the "mosquito" talk?

is warning pregnant couples about the zika virus spread or not? With the latest news we are reconsidering our trip in October.

The OP's question has been answered and now that this thread contains the same info as the "mosquito" thread: merging over.

Last edited:
That probably won't happen. Not all mosquitoes carry Zika. Those that do carry it do not cover the entire US, let alone Canada. Mosquitoes also start dying off in northern climates in 2 months.

the two kinds of mosquitoes that carry zika (Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus) live in about one third of the US...
see the two maps at this link - keep in mind, these are just maps of where these two types of mosquitoes live in the US, not where zika is currently found....it is where it could potentially be found in the future:
http://www.cdc.gov/zika/vector/range.html

Zika will not "spread all across the globe" because the vectors that transmit it are not present "all across the globe." The only way it can be spread person-to-person at this point is sexual transmission, so unless there is very much hanky panky going on around the world it will not "spread all across the globe."

not just by sexual transmission.
Zika is spread by a mosquito biting an infected person and then biting an uninfected person thereby infecting him.

a person who contracts zika while traveling and then returns to the US, is a source of the spread as follows:
Step 1: Joe contracts zika while traveling in a zika area. Joe now goes back home to the US.
Step 2: an aedes mosquito living in the US bites joe and sucks up his zika infected blood.
Step 3: the same mosquito then bites jeremy and injects the zika into jeremy while biting him. This is called locally transmitted zika, as jeremy has contracted zika from a local mosquito.

So yes, Joe can also get others sick in the sexual transmission route. But he can get others sick by means of a mosquito.

So. To put this in the Florida context. Or even more, in the disney world context.
Lots of visitors come to disney world from brazil. Possibly some of them are carrying zika and will possibly be bitten by a local aedes mosquito while visiting disney world. And then the mosquito in turn will bite someone else....

this is why it's very difficult to get control of a disease that is spread in this way...
it probably will eventually make it to every place that has aedes mosquitoes (a large part of the world)...

That probably won't happen. Not all mosquitoes carry Zika. Those that do carry it do not cover the entire US, let alone Canada. Mosquitoes also start dying off in northern climates in 2 months.

The spread of the zika virus is not limited to where the infected mosquitoes are located, according to the CDC, "Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on a person already infected with the virus. Infected mosquitoes can then spread the virus to other people through bites." So just because Canada may not have the infected mosquitoes in their country does not mean that zika will not eventually spread to Canada. That was the point I was making.

The spread of the zika virus is not limited to where the infected mosquitoes are located, according to the CDC, "Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on a person already infected with the virus. Infected mosquitoes can then spread the virus to other people through bites." So just because Canada may not have the infected mosquitoes in their country does not mean that zika will not eventually spread to Canada. That was the point I was making.

but the type of mosquito that can potentially carry zika is unlikely to be found in canada..
the aedes aegypti and the aedes albopictus are the types of mosquitoes thought to potentially carry zika....

Except of course for the fact that there are other ways to pass it than person-to-person.

From the CDC:
Zika virus is transmitted to people primarily through the bite of an infected Aedes species mosquito

Aedes is a genus of mosquitoes originally found in tropical and subtropical zones, but now found on all continents except Antarctica.

Current map of zika:
zikamain_072516_880.png

I guarantee that a month after RIO that purple spreads to much of the globe (including swaths of the US)

Zika is spread by a mosquito biting an infected person and then biting an uninfected person thereby infecting him.

a person who contracts zika while traveling and then returns to the US, is a source of the spread as follows:
Step 1: Joe contracts zika while traveling in a zika area. Joe now goes back home to the US.
Step 2: an aedes mosquito living in the US bites joe and sucks up his zika infected blood.
Step 3: the same mosquito then bites jeremy and injects the zika into jeremy while biting him. This is called locally transmitted zika, as jeremy has contracted zika from a local mosquito.

So yes, Joe can also get others sick in the sexual transmission route. But he can get others sick by means of a mosquito.

So. To put this in the Florida context. Or even more, in the disney world context.
Lots of visitors come to disney world from brazil. Possibly some of them are carrying zika and will possibly be bitten by a local aedes mosquito while visiting disney world. And then the mosquito in turn will bite someone else....

this is why it's very difficult to get control of a disease that is spread in this way...
it probably will eventually make it to every place that has aedes mosquitoes (a large part of the world)...

I don't know if you two are misunderstanding scientific terms or if you just didn't really read my post thoroughly.
But, vector transmission is the mosquito bite transmission. The mosquitoes that carry Zika are not present globally, and not year round in some of the places they are present.
disneyholicfamily, that is not considered person-to-person transmission. There is a vector involved (mosquito).
I can elaborate more if you two still aren't getting it.

Since I'm beyond child bearing years and no longer have the equipment for it, and none of our children are pregnant or trying to become pregnant, I would still travel to Florida/Caribbean/South America. In fact, we're going to Grenada in April 2017 for 2 weeks and have no plans to cancel.

If, however, I was in an age group that could be affected I wouldn't risk it. For me, the concerns would far outweigh the benefits.

I don't know if you two are misunderstanding scientific terms or if you just didn't really read my post thoroughly.
But, vector transmission is the mosquito bite transmission. The mosquitoes that carry Zika are not present globally, and not year round in some of the places they are present.
disneyholicfamily, that is not considered person-to-person transmission. There is a vector involved (mosquito).
Shiriki ~ I believe "vector," to some, conjures up images of high school math versus: A vector is any arthropod, insect, rodent or other animal of public health significance capable of harboring or transmitting the causative agents of human disease (e.g. Zika, malaria, plague) to humans. *I added Zika for the full effect! :)

Thanks for adding excellent links, info, and precise vocab!

I went to the doctor (obgyn) today and there were papers out for people to take explaining Zika, warning against traveling with out checking the cdc website, saying cdc recommendations will change frequently and should be checked often.

I also asked my doctor about it and he said bug spray, long sleeves etc, everywhere not just in Florida. He also said which I found interesting (but not surprising), it is never good to get bitten by a mosquito they have other diseases, I recommend all patients, even before Zika to wear bug spray, long sleeves and avoid bites as best you can.

Last edited:

The only people that need to be the least bit concerned with Zika are those that are pregnant and those that are going to try and get pregnant in the next 6 months. Oh and those that may have their immunity compromised for whatever reason. No one else has to worry about it.

The only people that need to be the least bit concerned with Zika are those that are pregnant and those that are going to try and get pregnant in the next 6 months. Oh and those that may have their immunity compromised for whatever reason. No one else has to worry about it.

To be honest I think this is really simplifying it. In my opinion they don't know enough to guarantee if you wait 2 months (female) 6 months (male) that you will be 100% safe. I'm sorry I just can't leave it at that. They are learning something new about most disease all the time and Zika is no exception.

This is just my opinion, but I strongly believe you should never want to catch any disease or virus, an ear infection is usually fine too but I don't want my daughter to get one.

To be honest I think this is really simplifying it. In my opinion they don't know enough to guarantee if you wait 2 months (female) 6 months (male) that you will be 100% safe. I'm sorry I just can't leave it at that. They are learning something new about most disease all the time and Zika is no exception.

This is just my opinion, but I strongly believe you should never want to catch any disease or virus, an ear infection is usually fine too but I don't want my daughter to get one.
Who said anything about wanting to catch it? :confused3 I am no more concerned about Zika than I am about the common cold. I'm not going to hide in my house to prevent the minuscule chance of contracting Zika.

Who said anything about wanting to catch it? :confused3 I am no more concerned about Zika than I am about the common cold. I'm not going to hide in my house to prevent the minuscule chance of contracting Zika.

Agreed, no hiding in the home, here either. But my point is people who aren't planning on getting pregnant can be concerned too. Just because there is no perceived risk doesn't mean we know what happens in a year or 2 or 3. IMO everyone should take precautions, especially if they are pregnant or trying to become pregnant.

Yes, and to that end, then how come there aren't endless threads of people worrying about the risk of contracting Dengue or Chikungunya fevers when they travel? I know I haven't seen a single one. Zika is only the hot topic because of it's connection to microcephaly.

Zika infection is disastrous in pregnant women (particularly regarding the fetus) but most infections are asymptomatic and one in five adults will develop a minor illness resulting in a fever and rash. the other issue is that the virus can be spread by sexual contact. Complications involving internal bleeding are possible but rare. There are mosquito-borne illnesses that have worse effects on persons who have already been born. Therefore the warnings specifying women who are pregnant, or are considering becoming pregnant in the near future.

This virus is not a major threat to most of those not in utero. it doesn't mean that anybody else WANTS to catch it. Just that they don't have to worry about it enough to cancel trips or hide in the house or whatever. Take precautions to keep from being bitten by mosquitoes.

Do they have any info about how long the virus stays in the body? I know they give guidelines (in months) but do they know if it comes back, etc? Thinking along the lines of chickenpox/shingles - how does anyone know if it won't come back while you are pregnant?

The mosquitos that carry Zika are found on all continents except for Antartica. So yeah it's found all over the world but obviously not every square foot of the globe. That's still globally. I can elaborate further if you still aren't understanding.

Except that if I catch it, don't show symptoms(most cases in Miami were asymptomatic) I can get bitten at the grocery store and that mosquito can pass it on to the clerk or the person who comes through 20 minutes later.

It's not something to be paralyzed with fear over but because of the terrible effects on a fetus everyone needs to be aware.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter