Any tips for WDW with poor mobility?

donnabc

Mouseketeer
My mom has problems with her knees (actually NEEDS knee replacement surgery but that's another story). I plan to rent her an electric wheel chair but so far she won't agree to use it :rolleyes:

Anyone have any tips about nice, out of the way places to rest in Epcot, MK or MGM?

Hi and welcome to disABILITIES!

Each of the parks has a staffed First Aid location where a person can rest if necessary. Also I would suggest some 20+ minute shows in the parks, American Adventure in Epcot, Hall of Presidents or Country Bear Jamboree in MK or Great Movie ride at MGM.

Actually, you probably mean an Electric Convenience Vehicle (ECV) which can be rented in the parks or from off-site vendors and streers with a handlebar like a bicycle. An electric wheelchair (usually referred to as a power chair) uses a joystick for steering and is usually rented only to people who already own them and can provide control setting information.

If you click on "disABILTIES" at the top of this page and look at the index, a few items down you will see the "disABILITIES FAQ" which can answer many of your questions.

One last thing, please ask your mother the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Mike

I hope you can convince her to rent an EVC (scooter). There are, of course, benches located thoughout WDW parks, but it is probably much more walking than she realizes.

Assuming you can get her into an ECV, and as long as she can walk a few steps to transfer to rides, she should have no problems. Ask the CMs that are usually located at the entrances to the line where the ECV entrance is, and how she will have to load onto the ride. Most, probablay all, theater shows will allow her to remain seated in her ECV, most rides will require a transfer.

If she is comfortable in a standard push wheelchair (and if you are comfortable pushing her), all theaters and many, but not all, rides have ways to load her onto the ride while allowing her to remain in the wheelchair.

Most queues are adapted to use the main queue and wait your turn like everyone else, with the exception of Magic Kindgom, which was build prior to current accessibility standards. There are alternate entrances for most rides at MK (again, just ask a cast member). Also, for Spaceship Earth at Epcot, you'll enter through the exit.

EPCOT is so Huge I hope so goes for the ECV!!!! IF not she will not be able to enjoy her stay as much as she would with it. I hope you have a blast!
Jen

Depending on the amount of knee flexion she is capable of an ECV may not be the best choice. Mom and I visited Disneyland after the May Repo cruise and she had a VERY oifficult time threading her leg past the tiller and seating herself on the seat. Because of her difficulty I suggested that she opt for a power chair for long term use. Instead she got knee replacement surgery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter