Antics of the Orange Banded Monkeys: Heartbreaking News June 2017

Looks like a great meet up with everyone.

Lots of good food too. I probably would've ordered that burger.

It was so nice just being together and talking! Even though some of us were meeting for the first time, we were all friends and there was no awkwardness at all.

Getting the burger is the correct choice!

::yes::

The burger was really good. And for $13.99 it is the best value on property, IMO. ;)

I don't usually order a burger when I am out to eat, and especially not at Disney because there are a lot of other, unique choices, but I am not at all sorry with my choice. What a great burger!

:thumbsup2

Love this update. I can just imagine what it was like to be there. :) Love that you went to the Crew's Cup after.

We missed you!!!

We also missed the mini condiments containers that were not available this year.

From August 2014:

My tablemates were amused by the condiments that came with their burgers

:laughing:

Lurking, as I typically do, but thought this time I'd say hi. :-) Looking forward to your next update!

:welcome:

I am so glad you are following along! Thank you so much for taking the time to say hello.

:wave2:

Last edited:
Great update. We often have a drink at the Ale and Compass and never think to walk round to Crew's Cup.

That was a fun filled packed day - good friends, laughs, hugs, smiles, sharing stories and yummy food!

Those burgers are delicious and they have gluten free rolls and fries.

And hard to believe that day wasn't over yet. :goodvibes

Great update. We often have a drink at the Ale and Compass and never think to walk round to Crew's Cup.

I haven't had a drink at Ale & Compass! I was thrilled to learn that I could finally try the grapefruit beer at the Crews Cup.

:drinking1

Y'all look to be a hoot.

I need friends like this!

:welcome: to the report!

We had a fantastic time together. DISfriends really are the best and I do recommend finding some folks to share the Disney love and to be silly with.

:dance3:

That was a fun filled packed day - good friends, laughs, hugs, smiles, sharing stories and yummy food!

Those burgers are delicious and they have gluten free rolls and fries.

And hard to believe that day wasn't over yet. :goodvibes

An epic day! I have two more updates for this day, including what I think is my favorite one of the report.

:cool2:

And OMG - "You are my People". Really you are. :thumbsup2

:grouphug:

I would've totally gotten that burger!! YUM! And you all are my people too :grouphug: I always love that you get recognized :) My DH would be weirded out too, "my wife and her computer friends"...well my DISfriends are my best friends ;)

An epic day! I have two more updates for this day, including what I think is my favorite one of the report.
Sounds like a "teaser" to me. Stay tuned, we'll be back in just a moment. We're here and we are hooked. :)
Katesdad

I would've totally gotten that burger!! YUM! And you all are my people too :grouphug: I always love that you get recognized :) My DH would be weirded out too, "my wife and her computer friends"...well my DISfriends are my best friends ;)

It is great to have "people". I know EXACTLY what you mean about DIS friends. :grouphug:

One of my favorite stories is from a friend who was asking for advice about an elaborate plan she had for her trip. We told her it sounded fine. She said
"Oh, good, my imaginary friends say I'm not crazy!"

If you listen to no other advice from me- if you go to the Crews Cup lounge to eat, get the burger!

Sounds like a "teaser" to me. Stay tuned, we'll be back in just a moment. We're here and we are hooked. :)
Katesdad

Definitely a teaser! I will be posting an update today and then I think as a Christmas gift I will post the update I am talking about later this week. You won't be disappointed!

Glad you enjoyed your stay over on the "Bright Side"

:cool1:

From the Beach & Yacht Club thread:

I know, I know!!! It has to be that very special person who plans trips in her sleep!

Now I KNOW you won't be disappointed in that post.

Last edited:
?..snip.....If you listen to no other advice from me- if you go to the Crews Cup lounge to eat, get the burger!

Definitely a teaser! I will be posting an update today and then I think as a Christmas gift I will post the update I am talking about later this week. You won't be disappointed! Glad you enjoyed your stay over on the "Bright Side"
We did the Crews Cup one night, got to watch two local college basketball teams compete in our "cross-town shoot-out" while dining on the hamburger with a favorite adult-beverage. DW and I had a good meal and a good time talking with the waitress. The basketball game was good too as my team came out the winner.

Got to say we liked our stay at BWV but we can't wait to get back to our "dark-side", especially after the renovations are completed. It was just too "busy" in the BC lobby for us
Katesdad

We did the Crews Cup one night, got to watch two local college basketball teams compete in our "cross-town shoot-out" while dining on the hamburger with a favorite adult-beverage. DW and I had a good meal and a good time talking with the waitress. The basketball game was good too as my team came out the winner.

Got to say we liked our stay at BWV but we can't wait to get back to our "dark-side", especially after the renovations are completed. It was just too "busy" in the BC lobby for us
Katesdad

Sounds like a fantastic night. I have been there twice, both times after the DIS meet with a group of friends. It doesn't get better than that!

I am also excited to see how the YC turns out.

Monkey Bars (at the Top of the World)

After we parted ways with the rest of our group, our night was just beginning.

Our pal Nannette was treating us to a trip to the Top of the World lounge, the DVC member only bar at Bay Lake Tower that overlooks the Magic Kingdom. It is a similar view to what you get at the California Grille and we were going to be watching Wishes from this awesome vantage point.

But first, we needed to summon our chariot (an Uber ride). I think this one was my free ride. Rebecca is trying to figure out how the app works on my Windows phone.

Cortana? Where are you? (Even Rebecca couldn't find her)

Uber%20Set%20Up.jpg

We met our ride and we didn’t almost die on that trip. YAY!!!

I followed everyone when we arrived at the Contemporary resort because I have not been there other than one meal at Chef Mickeys. We started out exploring a pretty large gift shop.

Then Nannette checked in at a desk by showing her DVC membership and info on her magic band proving she was staying on property. She got a note/ticket that would allow us to take an elevator up to the lounge.

DSCF9286.jpg

DSCF9237.jpg

DSCF9238.jpg

I’ll have a Bay Lake Sunset, please (Stoli Vanilla Vodka, Parrot Bay Coconut Rum, Pineapple Juice and a splash of Grenadine)

We wanted to treat Nannette to a drink for giving us this fantastic opportunity, but she wouldn’t let us. She bought our drinks.

Drink Menu:

Bay%20Lake%20Bar%20Menu%201.jpg

Bay%20Lake%20Bar%20Menu%202.jpg

We didn’t try any food from the lounge, but here is the menu and a link to a review that appeared on the Disney Food Blog.

Bay%20Lake%20Menu.jpg

Top of the World Lounge at Bay Lake Tower

The inside bar was a small (seats 77 people) but very impressive space.

But as beautiful as it is, it is no match for the view out on the deck:

WP_20150830_040.jpg

DSCF9231.jpg

DSCF9232.jpg

Here is our friend setting up for a photoshoot

DSCF9234.jpg

DSCF9235.jpg

DSCF9236.jpg

And of course, when you are in a place like this you need an assisted selfie! (taken by someone else)

DSCF9240.jpg

WP_20150830_039.jpg

Shortly after we arrived, the Electrical Water Parade started to go around the Seven Seas Lagoon

DSCF9230.jpg

DSCF9282.jpg

DSCF9284.jpg

WP_20150830_033.jpg

Then, it was time for the castle projection show, followed by the Main Event:

WISHES!!!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Continued from Previous Post

I had really only seen Wishes once before, at the dessert party on our 2013 trip. Like then, I debated whether to take a video, photos or just to put down my camera and watch the show.

I have a point and shoot camera that will take video and at the same time I can take still pictures. I also had my phone. I think I alternated between taking a pictures with my phone and camera.

DSCF9248.jpg

DSCF9249.jpg

DSCF9250.jpg

DSCF9251.jpg

DSCF9252.jpg

DSCF9254.jpg

DSCF9255.jpg

DSCF9260.jpg

DSCF9261.jpg

DSCF9272.jpg

DSCF9273.jpg

DSCF9275.jpg

DSCF9276.jpg

WP_20150830_044.jpg

WP_20150830_046.jpg

WP_20150830_047.jpg

WP_20150830_050.jpg

AWESOME!!!

I can't thank Nannette enough for this once-in-a-lifetime experience!

We stayed out on the deck for a bit, talking to a British family- mum, dad and teenaged son.

It was sadly time to leave this beautiful view. We arranged for another Uber ride. This one was at a premium price due to the time of the night and that it is a busy time. But once again, we had a free ride (Ninja’s this time?) and again, we had safe transport back to the Beach Club.

It had been a long, wonderful, eventful day. An early morning Beach Club/Yacht Club stroll and Bus Stop reconnaissance, breakfast at La Trattori al forno, getting locked out of our room, Stormalong Bay Synchronized Pool Tube Team Practice, The Wilderness Lodge, A death-defying drive, a big DISmeet then dinner and topping it off at the Top of the World.

It was time for the monkeys to pack it in. Or so I thought!

Next Up-
Woozy: I have to sleep with one eye open. That's why I wear sunglasses.

Last edited:
And of course, when you are in a place like this you need a selfie! (Preferably taken by someone else)
If you don't take it by yourself then it's not a selfie. ;)

It looks like you had a lovely evening at the Contemporary, a perfect end to a very busy day. The weather was perfect that night. We walked to DHS after dinner at Crews Cup and watched the Frozen fireworks.

Wow, what a wonderful end to a full day! That view is amazing, and bonus that you got to see the Electrical Water Parade and the fireworks. So amazing.

Looking forward to what comes next!

Oh you and Cortana are something else lol.

What a view! We have friends who are DVC members and their home resort is BLT.

I can't wait to hear what is next.

Dee - wow! You got some really awesome pictures that evening!

Thank you to Nannette for making that view possible. What a day, we really were busy, so fun!

How many monkeys does it take to use a Windows phone?

:goodvibes:thumbsup2 3, the answer is 3. Cortana??!?

Sounds like a pretty full day! I've visited the Wilderness Lodge on a previous trip too, although have never stayed there either. I just saw Captain_Oblivious' pictures of the Yellowstone Lodge...it's easy to see where Disney got their inspiration for the WL.

I didn't even know about that Crew's Cup Lounge, but now I'll have to keep it in mind. And to go with a burger, kinda like Sci-Fi.

Loved the comment of "I thought you were my people"!

The fam and I went to TotW Lounge on our trip this past summer too. Such a cool view from up there. You got some great shots.

Those are some great views from the Top of the World Lounge! How lucky to be able to get in there!

You've only seen Wishes one other time?! Are you not a fireworks person?

I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!