Another stroller question- first time at WDW with kids!

chekhovgirl

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I'm new here, been lurking and doing a bit of research. This will be our first time taking the kids to Disney and they'll be 2.5 and almost 5 when we go. Our vacation will be a little unique in that we'll be flying in to Orlando, visiting family in Palm Beach and then going back to Orlando for a Disney vacation before flying home.

We have a Phil and Teds stroller but have never taken it on an airplane before. I'm trying to figure out if we should:

1. Take the Phil and Teds on the plane

2. Get second cheap umbrella stroller and bring two (not really my favorite choice because then we could never have one person take both of the kids if needed)

3. Buy a cheap (under $60) jogger off of craigslist to bring with us so we don't have to worry about it getting beaten up on the plane. Our P&T is 4 years old, it's not the most current model, so I wouldn't be worried about it in the park, but I'm concerned about taking it on the plane and it getting mangled.

4. Rent a stroller (not through Disney) for WDW and either not bring a stroller at all or just bring the single umbrella stroller for Palm Beach

Also, my husband and I are spoiled by the slimness of the P&T and are not too into pushing a side by side- which is what we'd be getting on craigslist. Is it that bad to push one around Disney? We're going to need a double or two strollers at Disney, so there's no negotiating that point.

Thanks so much!

Well I have never heard of the kind of stroller you have but if you are that worried about it on the plane, I would just go buy a new one or like you said search for one on craigslist. Our last trip we brought a Jeep umbrella stroller. I'm pretty sure they make double ones too. It was great! Folded easy, lightweight, and has a basket under the seat so you don't have to lug everything and push the stroller too! It was big enough for DS who was 4 at the time but small enough for us to fly around the parks with no problems. I know the jogging strollers are good too from what I heard but I never used one so I can't comment personally. JMO..:goodvibes

I would just take the Phil and Teds and buy an airplane bag for it to protect it. I have a baby jogger and that is what I am planning on doing. I am just used to the ease of pushing that and am not sure I would want to push a stroller that wasn't made with the same quality day in and day out for miles at a time.

I would not take the P&T. I would just not trust it on the plane, plus how are you getting to/from Palm Beach? Rental car? That stroller is pretty big and will take up a lot of room I think.
I would rent from an outside company for the WDW portion and take the umbrella for the beach portion. (Maybe even get another cheapy umbrella for your 4yr old depending what your plans are)

I have no idea what a P&T is, but I do know I flew all the time with my son and even with a stroller bag, mine got tore up. I do know that at babies r us they sell double umbrella strollers. I read that was one of your concerns to be able to have one person take the kids if need be. Also, you'll probably want to have the stroller in the air port unless you have very small airports your flying into (in case your plane runs late and you need to hurry in the airport). I always used mine and checked it at the gate. Made it much easier! :) And dont forget, no matter what stroller your bring, to bring something (ribbons, big bright name tag) to be able to identify it easy in the sea of strollers! :) hope this helps :wizard:

We have a 3 yo and 6 yo, and we've traveled quite a bit with our P&T. It was perfect last October for our trip to DL. When we fly with it, we gate check it. I fold it up and bungie the second seat to the frame. It's gotten dirty, but never damaged that way. They do make a travel bag for it as well.

I think we are going to bring it to WDW in August, even though I'm fairly sure that my 6 yo will rarely ride.

Hi! i would either gate check the P&T and risk that maybe it might get damaged - but honestly it probably won't - especially if you have the bag and/or rent a stroller from Orlando/Magic etc or at the parks. If your kids will not sleep in the stroller at all (my oldest wont) then since your crew is older you could get away with renting at the parks - otherwise I would rent from an outside company. the City Mini double is very easy to push and is very slim. I would just make sure your 5 yo would fit comfortably. My 4yo average DD fits with lots of room to spare.

We have so much stuff at home - that renting and giving it back was easier for my family. Have a great trip!!

I'd leave the Phil and teds at home, bring a cheap umbrella for your younger child to use at the airport. Rent the double citi mini from the outside stroller company. I think you will really like that stroller, easy to push, easy to fold. We just returned and took a very large jogger. It is no problem having a double stroller in the parks, easy to get through everything. But I would not bring a double jogger to WDW if you are using Disney transportation. They fold a little too bulky to make using the buses easy. Have a fun trip.

This is very helpful. I really thought I was going to bring the P&T but now I'm leaning towards bringing the Maclaren (old and bought off of craigslist for $30 so I could fly with it and not worry!) and then renting a double from a stroller company. Thanks!

Just make sure whatever you bring has a decent sunshade. On our first trip be bought a cheap Jeep double stroller off Craigslist and it was awful! The sunshades were tiny and didn't cover my kids well, so they got sunburned. The 2nd time we brought our large Zooper double stroller. While it was nice to have in the park, it was too large to ride the trams (we stayed offsite) and too big to go through shops easily. I think this time we are going to use our maclaren single stroller. It's a pain to try and load a double on the buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter