Another drowning on Castaway Cay

mom4mad

Mouseketeer
I just disembarked the Fantasy yesterday. The day before we were at Castaway Cay. Our party was heading to the tram stop by Scuttle's cove at about 3 ish when lifeguards on a golf cart raced by actively doing cpr on an adult. We we're 2+ hours late leaving Castaway Cay- which of course is understandable. Commodore Tom made an announcement about why we we're late. Found out today the gentleman didn't make it. Any thoughts on why this keeps happening at Castaway Cay? Maybe just publicized more than other areas? Just seems like it has been a lot in the past year. So sad.

I just disembarked the Fantasy yesterday. The day before we were at Castaway Cay. Our party was heading to the tram stop by Scuttle's cove at about 3 ish when lifeguards on a golf cart raced by actively doing cpr on an adult. We we're 2+ hours late leaving Castaway Cay- which of course is understandable. Commodore Tom made an announcement about why we we're late. Found out today the gentleman didn't make it. Any thoughts on why this keeps happening at Castaway Cay? Maybe just publicized more than other areas? Just seems like it has been a lot in the past year. So sad.

So very sad.

Last edited:

The ocean is a totally different beast than a swimming pool. You have currents and waves that you don't normally have to deal with in a pool. People also do dumb stuff. Look at Harvey, it gets repeated over and over don't drive thru standing water but people keep doing it and then their car gets trapped by the floodwaters or if they are unlucky swept away by them.

The ocean is a totally different beast than a swimming pool. You have currents and waves that you don't normally have to deal with in a pool. People also do dumb stuff. Look at Harvey, it gets repeated over and over don't drive thru standing water but people keep doing it and then their car gets trapped by the floodwaters or if they are unlucky swept away by them.
Yes, people overdo all the time on vacations. Not just cruises. Someone who sits behind a desk all day, goes on vacation, and wants to do all the activities, regardless whether they are in shape to do so, or not. That often leads to health issues.

We don't know the age of the individual (if, indeed, there is an individual who drowned). Could have been he had other health concerns. Speculation of the cause(s) at this point is futile. And we'll never know for sure.

One of my TA's agents had a client with a very dangerous situation a couple years ago. Drowning situation. She told me about it. So a lady & her hubby were snorkeling out in the lagoon when she actually inhaled -NOT swallow- water. She coughed & sputtered but was feeling okay. So then they continued on but she recalled reading where inhaling water was a really bad thing so the swam to a nearby lifeguard post. One of the ones out in the lagoon. She explained what happened & asked if they thought she should head in. The lifeguard totally flipped out. Immediately started blowing whistles. Jumped in the water & put her in floatation. Immediately hauling this woman in. The whole way she was like "What???? What?????" They immobilized her. Put her on a board. Running to get her back to the ship. She was unconscious before she got to the ship. She was medivac'ed back to south Florida. Basically it's a dry drowning situation. When you breathe water into your lungs it can be a little while or it can be pretty fast that your lungs react & fill with mucus. Dry drowning. Look it up. It's mostly seen with little kids who frolick & good around in water playing. Then after they're home the water they inhaled into their lungs drowns them.

Inexperienced snorkelers could be a factor in these. Just saying.

One of my TA's agents had a client with a very dangerous situation a couple years ago. Drowning situation. She told me about it. So a lady & her hubby were snorkeling out in the lagoon when she actually inhaled -NOT swallow- water. She coughed & sputtered but was feeling okay. So then they continued on but she recalled reading where inhaling water was a really bad thing so the swam to a nearby lifeguard post. One of the ones out in the lagoon. She explained what happened & asked if they thought she should head in. The lifeguard totally flipped out. Immediately started blowing whistles. Jumped in the water & put her in floatation. Immediately hauling this woman in. The whole way she was like "What???? What?????" They immobilized her. Put her on a board. Running to get her back to the ship. She was unconscious before she got to the ship. She was medivac'ed back to south Florida. Basically it's a dry drowning situation. When you breathe water into your lungs it can be a little while or it can be pretty fast that your lungs react & fill with mucus. Dry drowning. Look it up. It's mostly seen with little kids who frolick & good around in water playing. Then after they're home the water they inhaled into their lungs drowns them.

This is very scary, I have heard of a few stories with this concerning kids.... awful.

Some of these comments on here are totally uncalled for imo. Maybe some day the person family will google drowning on castaway cay and this will probably come up. Comments about maybe he was drinking. Maybe he had a heart condition. Maybe he had a desk job and was out of shape. Yes I wrote about people eating way too much I know I do. Didn't think that was bad. Think about what you write the family could read this one day. Hopefully no one will reply to this as I will erase it later. So the family can't see all the bad things we wrote about.
Just erased about people eating way too much.

Never, ever heard of this so thanks for the heads-up. *waves*

Some of these comments on here are totally uncalled for imo. Maybe some day the person family will google drowning on castaway cay and this will probably come up. Comments about maybe he was drinking. Maybe he had a heart condition. Maybe he had a desk job and was out of shape. Yes I wrote about people eating way too much I know I do. Didn't think that was bad. Think about what you write the family could read this one day. Hopefully no one will reply to this as I will erase it later. So the family can't see all the bad things we wrote about.
Just erased about people eating way too much.
Well, people speculate all the time about all sorts of things. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the person had a health issue not at all relating to drowning. Or possibly other issues that may have contributed.

I don't find such comments particularly "bad", just speculation.

Someone can die at home, or even in a hospital, and people are going to speculate as to why...

I don't have any numbers, just seems like I keep hearing about this. Sorry, I didn't mean to alarm anyone. It is just my perception I guess. I love DCL and Castaway Cay, so not trying to disparage either at all. I am just sad for these people and curious.

Keeps happening?? How many drownings has there actually been at CC? There was about a dozen at the Jersey Shore this year alone.

Agree. Sadly, there will always be drownings whenever water activities are involved. I am sure the life guards are incredibly upset in addition to the poor family.

Dry drowning is definitely a thing. I really worried once last year at the pool at home. DD was fine but I knew about the issue and it weighed heavy on my mind. I kept an eagle eye on her for the next 24 hours.

Very sad. :(

I live on a small island with a population of around 160,000 people plus around 10-15,000 tourists that visit each month. We have anywhere from 1-4 drownings per month. People drown for all sorts of reasons. This year so far we have had a person caught up in a rip currant, 2 heart attacks, 2 inexperienced swimmers, 1 young teen that made a horrible mistake, a couple of children that were likely not properly supervised and a few fisherman that miscalculated. It is very sad. The ocean is beautiful but can be very dangerous.

Prayers for everyone affected.

Keeps happening?? How many drownings has there actually been at CC? There was about a dozen at the Jersey Shore this year alone.

This is my thought. People drown all the time. We just hear about the ones on CC because 1) we're hanging out on a message board dedicated to DCL; and 2) the news loves to report about Disney.

While the link I'm posting below is about Hanauma Bay on Oahu, not CC, it does drive home a point about the dangers of drowning in inexperienced snorkelers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/23/hanauma-bay-drowning_n_4140173.html

It is very easy to drown. The town I live in has two public beaches. One has dangerous currents and people ignore the posted warnings. Others overestimate their abilities in the water. Even the strongest of swimmers can find themselves in dangerous situations with little warning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter