Annual Reading Challenge--2020

6/30 - The Ride of a Lifetime: Lessons Learned from 15 Years as CEO of the Walt Disney Company by Robert Iger

I really liked the book. I especially enjoyed the chapters about the acquisitions of Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm. Love him or hate him, I think Iger has some good points in the book.

I’m technically reading 2 of 24, but am also listening! I usually set my reading challenge for book in hand reading.
A Fall of Marigolds by Susan Meissner

In terms of audible listens, I just finished Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood by Lisa Damour. Highly recommend if you have a tween or teen girl in your life.

Now listening to Tidelands by Philippa Gregory. I haven’t read any of her newer books, but thoroughly enjoyed many of her earliest books.

5/42 - All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Yes, I know this one was a bestseller a few years ago, but I am usually a little behind. :) This one took a relatively long time for me to read, but it was a great book. The jumping back and forth in time with the main characters/storylines was a little confusing at first, but once I adjusted to it, I was swept up in the story. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

#10/60
Shamed by Linda Castillo
An Amish grandmother is murdered on an abandoned farm, her seven year old granddaughter abducted. Chief of Police Kate Burkholder plunges headlong into a case that quickly becomes a race against the clock. She knows the longer the girl is missing, the more likely a tragic outcome. The family of the missing girl is well thought of—a pillar of the Amish community. Their pain is palpable and they cooperate in every way, but Kate soon learns they’re keeping secrets...

The investigation takes Kate to an isolated Old Order Amish settlement along the river in southern Ohio. At first, the community seems upstanding and helpful. But when Kate starts asking questions, they stonewall her—and the situation soon becomes dangerous. What are they hiding and why?

After an attempt on her life, Kate unearths a haunting and tragic secret that changes everything she thought she knew about the family for whom she is fighting, the Amish community as a whole—and everything she thought she knew about herself. Will she reach the girl in time to save her life?

Book 11 in the Kate Burkholder series. Love these books. Now to wait for #12, lol.

8/30 The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes. Really readable book overall, and historical fiction on a topic I haven't read about before. I know there's some controversy around this one being a bit too similar to The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek, so that is now on my reading list, but, for what it's worth, I enjoyed this book. 4.5/5.

9/75 - Game Misconduct: Bianca Sommerland

This is the first book in a series about a fictional NHL hockey team in Dartmouth Nova Scotia the Dartmouth Cobras... this book is about Oriana one of the team owner's daughters and several members of the team... and that probably about all I can say about the plot here. I really like this series but it's DEFINITELY not for everyone. 18+ for sure!

#11/60
The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell
Soon after her twenty-fifth birthday, Libby Jones returns home from work to find the letter she’s been waiting for her entire life. She rips it open with one driving thought: I am finally going to know who I am.
She soon learns not only the identity of her birth parents, but also that she is the sole inheritor of their abandoned mansion on the banks of the Thames in London’s fashionable Chelsea neighborhood, worth millions. Everything in Libby’s life is about to change. But what she can’t possibly know is that others have been waiting for this day as well—and she is on a collision course to meet them.
Twenty-five years ago, police were called to 16 Cheyne Walk with reports of a baby crying. When they arrived, they found a healthy ten-month-old happily cooing in her crib in the bedroom. Downstairs in the kitchen lay three dead bodies, all dressed in black, next to a hastily scrawled note. And the four other children reported to live at Cheyne Walk were gone.

Been hearing a lot about this book. It was very good.

#2/20 - Shaken : discovering your true identity in the midst of life's storms by Tim Tebow
Good book with mention on how he got through some of his disappointments in his football career goals as a person of faith, and some tenets for those on also shaken paths or disappointments where life experiences aren't what they dreamed or expected to be. Obvious mention of lots of Christian principles throughout book, but should know that if ever followed the Tebow story before.

Hi! I am a reader/teacher/writer/Disney nerd... why have I never found this thread before?

Is it too late to join? (I set goals and started my reading challenge at the beginning of 2020...) If it is too late, that's okay; I'll keep an eye out for next year!

Hi! I am a reader/teacher/writer/Disney nerd... why have I never found this thread before?

Is it too late to join? (I set goals and started my reading challenge at the beginning of 2020...) If it is too late, that's okay; I'll keep an eye out for next year!

Noooo, it is never too late!
Adding you to the first post. Looking forward for more books to add to my list, lol.

Noooo, it is never too late!
Adding you to the first post. Looking forward for more books to add to my list, lol.

Thank you so much! My goal is 35 this year (since I have no hope of making my typical 50...)

And so far I'm just at:
#1/35: Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
It seems pretty much everyone has read this book already. I really loved the beautiful writing style and the characters. While it isn't my favourite book ever, I do get the hype about it.

Since the beginning of the year, I've read 7 books so far-
1. Auschwitz Lullaby, M.Escobar-4 1/2 stars. But the more I think back on it, the better it was. So incredible that it was a true story.
2. Whos Waves These Are,A.Dykes-2 stars
3. Claws of Action, L Reilly-3 stars, typical cozy mystery geared toward cat lovers
4. The Unofficial Guide to WDW, 2020, Bob Sehlinger-5stars-isn't any Disney book 5 stars?
5. The Paris Seamstress, N. Lester-3 stars-if you like Project Runway, you might enjoy it, but there's very little about WW!!
6. Thank You for my Service, M. Best-1 star
7. Sandpiper Cove, Irene Hannon-haven't finished so not yet rated, but even though it's a very typical, predictable feel good story complete with the dog, I'm really enjoying it.

9/30: The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown. Reading a Brene Brown book was part of the book challenge I'm doing. This was one of the most readable "self help" books I've ever read. 4/5.

5. The Witch’s Daughter by Paula Brackston. I had wanted to read this for a while-a darker bent than I would have liked but it had a historical fiction aspect to it. There are two more books in the series which I will probably read down the road.

A little late to the game but would love to join in. I used Goodreads to track last year and my goal was 20 and I read 16. So for 2020, I set my goal again at 20 and am going to really try to hit that.

Started a little slow but hope to pick up the pace a little.

#1/20 Love and Ruin by Paula McLain

I finished this one last month. I had been on a Hemingway and wives kick late last year. Enjoyed this one as well.

Looking forward to going back through the thread to read all the recommendations and I'm sure will be adding to my "want to read list".

A little late to the game but would love to join in. I used Goodreads to track last year and my goal was 20 and I read 16. So for 2020, I set my goal again at 20 and am going to really try to hit that.

Started a little slow but hope to pick up the pace a little.

#1/20 Love and Ruin by Paula McLain

I finished this one last month. I had been on a Hemingway and wives kick late last year. Enjoyed this one as well.

Looking forward to going back through the thread to read all the recommendations and I'm sure will be adding to my "want to read list".
Welcome! Will add you to our list. My want to read list is getting longer & longer.

I fell behind and not sure where I am anymore! I finished my 4th or 5th re-read of The Hobbit. How does it get better every time???

Elin Hilderbrand released a short story "sequel" to one of her books yesterday, so I read that. Not going to count it in!

I fell behind and not sure where I am anymore! I finished my 4th or 5th re-read of The Hobbit. How does it get better every time???

Elin Hilderbrand released a short story "sequel" to one of her books yesterday, so I read that. Not going to count it in!
I have you as completed 6 of 30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter