Annual Reading Challenge--2020

January reads:

#1/90: City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert (3/5) (fiction)
In 1940, after being kicked out of college, a young woman arrives in NYC to live with her aunt, who runs a small theater. She embraces the unusual lifestyle and embarks upon many adventures that change the way she lives.
Story is told in all flashbacks.

#2/90: The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert (3/5) (historical fiction)
A woman born in 1800 is raised in a very unconventional lifestyle and becomes an expert in mosses, traveling the world.

#3/90: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (3/5) (science fiction)
Three young people raised in a private boarding school in the English countryside come to terms with their relationships and special purpose in the world.

#4/90: Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik (4/5) (fantasy)
In a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin, a young woman becomes a shrewd moneylender and develops the reputation for turning silver to gold. This attacks the attention of the king of the Staryks, and plunges her into a world where she must fight to regain her freedom.
The story is told in first person narrative from the points of view of multiple characters.

#5/90: No Second Chance by Harlan Coben (4/5) (thriller)
A man wakes up from a coma to discover that his wife is dead and his infant daughter is missing. After a failed attempt to recover his daughter through a ransom demand, he becomes the prime suspect. Once more he has an opportunity to recover his daughter, and this time he won’t include the authorities.
Nice twist at the end!

#6/90: Auschwitz Lullaby by Mario Escobar (4/5) (historical fiction)
A German woman married to a Gypsy refuses to part with her children and is sent to a concentration camp. There she is chosen to run a kindergarten for Dr. Mengele.
This book is based upon a real woman.

#7/90: The Flight Girls by Noelle Salazar (4/5) (romantic historical fiction)
A young woman who loves to fly volunteers to train pilots in Hawaii in 1941. There she meets a man who captivates her, but does not deter her from her mission. Her world is turned upside down after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Then she joins the Women Airforce Service Pilots.

#8/90: Cilka’s Journey (Tattooist of Auschwitz #2) by Heather Morris (4/5) (historical fiction)
Young Cilka was forced to become the sexual partner of two commanders at her concentration camp. Although that helped her to survive, when the Russians liberated the camp, they labeled her a collaborator and sentenced her to hard labor in Siberia. This is her story of survival.

#9/90: The Girls With No Names by Serena Burdick (4/5) (historical fiction)
Luella and Effie are privileged young girls living in NYC before WWI. After Luella repeatedly defies her father, she goes missing. Effie fears that her father carried through on his threat and place Luella in the House of Mercy, a home for wayward girls run by nuns. She schemes to get herself inside to save her sister, but is trapped.
I found it interesting that there were homes like that in the US.

4/25- The Road to Little Dribbling-Bill Bryson. This is a follow up to his previous book from 20 years ago. I was really disappointed, it was surprisingly mean spirited. He has definitely become the grumpy old man with this one. I do not recommend unless you're a die hard fan of his.

5/25- The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane- Lisa See. Historical fiction centered around the history of tea in China. Very interesting read.

Last edited:
Cool. Can’t believe I missed this before. I take it we start a list and then update as we go on?

Goal is 50 books this year.

So far:

1. Alex Scarrow’s Plague Land.
2. Alex Scarrow’s Plague Land: Reborn.
3. Alex Scarrow’s Plague Lane: No Escape.

Quick review: obviously given the current news this is an interesting choice but I actually enjoyed this series. Part dystopian apocalyptic series, part sci-fi, this teen YA series is engrossing and satisfying.

4. Nancy Isenberg's White Trash. The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America

This is an important retelling of US history with a focus on the impacts of socioeconomic status and how it has been a part of our history from the beginning of the country. Well the topic is important, and the information is well written, the book is very dense and takes a long time to work your way through.

5. Can We All Be Feminists edited by June Eric-Udorie.

A really interesting collection of essays which focus on the space necessary in the feminist movement to make a truly inclusionary and multicultural. This is challenging, vital, and important to read.

Last edited:

#9/156 - On Trails: An Exploration by Robert Moor

A rambling reflection on the history of trails in the natural and human worlds, written by a man who became enthralled with the idea after thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. This book was not at all what I expected; I expected more on the history and making of human-created trails, but it delved into everything from the trails left by what scientists think may have been the first mobile living things in prehistory to the ways ants and other insects share information about their paths. It did also include some history of the AT as well, and a brief chronicle of the efforts to expand it into an international trail. It was a weirdly winding but still coherent read, one that took me a while to get into but that ended up being fairly interesting and informative if a bit random.

#10 - The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Telling a story from the point of view of the protagonist's dog is a clever literary device, though maybe not one that should be repeated. The story itself in this one is a bit melodramatic with some plot elements that begin to unravel if you think too closely about them, but the unusual storytelling and the outsider voice of a non-human narrator made for an easy, engaging read. And as a racing fan myself, I really enjoyed the automotive metaphor woven through the story.

#11 - The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michelle Richardson

Historical fiction about a woman who is the last in her line of "blue" people of Appalachian Kentucky, who serves as a traveling librarian during the Depression, bringing books to isolated rural residents. The storyline wove together two fascinating historical stories - that of her people, who really existed and whose color was eventually attributed to a rare genetic disorder, and that of the Pack Librarian project that worked to spread literacy in a place that remains one of the poorest and least educated in America even today. I really enjoyed the storytelling, told through the practical and very matter-of-fact voice of the main character, and the way it unflinchingly and without hedging acknowledged some of the most problematic elements in the national and local culture of the time.

#12 - A Life Without Water by Marci Bolden

Wow, this one was sad. The story of a recently widowed 50-something woman who is suddenly confronted by the ex-husband she left in the middle of the night as a young woman and, with him, memories of their daughter who died tragically at 6 years old. The heart of the story is a journey they take together, the angry and still-grieving mother and the repentant and terminally ill ex-husband, to scatter their daughter's ashes. The whole tale is heart-wrenching and maybe a little too familiar to anyone who has known a couple like the two main characters, who married too young and sought refuge from the stresses of life in all the wrong places, and wraps up a little too neatly with the ex-husband able to force/manipulate the main character into taking the journey and then dying just as they complete the trip and reach his home. There are no happy endings for any of them, only an ending that brings the whole saga full circle.

#9/156 - On Trails: An Exploration by Robert Moor

A rambling reflection on the history of trails in the natural and human worlds, written by a man who became enthralled with the idea after thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. This book was not at all what I expected; I expected more on the history and making of human-created trails, but it delved into everything from the trails left by what scientists think may have been the first mobile living things in prehistory to the ways ants and other insects share information about their paths. It did also include some history of the AT as well, and a brief chronicle of the efforts to expand it into an international trail. It was a weirdly winding but still coherent read, one that took me a while to get into but that ended up being fairly interesting and informative if a bit random.

#10 - The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Telling a story from the point of view of the protagonist's dog is a clever literary device, though maybe not one that should be repeated. The story itself in this one is a bit melodramatic with some plot elements that begin to unravel if you think too closely about them, but the unusual storytelling and the outsider voice of a non-human narrator made for an easy, engaging read. And as a racing fan myself, I really enjoyed the automotive metaphor woven through the story.

#11 - The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michelle Richardson

Historical fiction about a woman who is the last in her line of "blue" people of Appalachian Kentucky, who serves as a traveling librarian during the Depression, bringing books to isolated rural residents. The storyline wove together two fascinating historical stories - that of her people, who really existed and whose color was eventually attributed to a rare genetic disorder, and that of the Pack Librarian project that worked to spread literacy in a place that remains one of the poorest and least educated in America even today. I really enjoyed the storytelling, told through the practical and very matter-of-fact voice of the main character, and the way it unflinchingly and without hedging acknowledged some of the most problematic elements in the national and local culture of the time.

#12 - A Life Without Water by Marci Bolden

Wow, this one was sad. The story of a recently widowed 50-something woman who is suddenly confronted by the ex-husband she left in the middle of the night as a young woman and, with him, memories of their daughter who died tragically at 6 years old. The heart of the story is a journey they take together, the angry and still-grieving mother and the repentant and terminally ill ex-husband, to scatter their daughter's ashes. The whole tale is heart-wrenching and maybe a little too familiar to anyone who has known a couple like the two main characters, who married too young and sought refuge from the stresses of life in all the wrong places, and wraps up a little too neatly with the ex-husband able to force/manipulate the main character into taking the journey and then dying just as they complete the trip and reach his home. There are no happy endings for any of them, only an ending that brings the whole saga full circle.

I have The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek on hold at the library. Sounds interesting.

Cool. Can’t believe I missed this before. I take it we start a list and then update as we go on?

Goal is 50 books this year.

So far:

1. Alex Scarrow’s Plague Land.
2. Alex Scarrow’s Plague Land: Reborn.
3. Alex Scarrow’s Plague Lane: No Escape.

Quick review: obviously given the current news this is an interesting choice but I actually enjoyed this series. Part dystopian apocalyptic series, part sci-fi, this teen YA series is engrossing and satisfying.

4.Nancy Isenberg's White Trash. The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America

This is an important retelling of US history with a focus on the impacts of socioeconomic status and how it has been a part of our history from the beginning of the country. Well the topic is important, and the information is well written, the book is very dense and takes a long time to work your way through.

5. Can We All Be Feminists edited by June Eric-Udorie.

A really interesting collection of essays which focus on the space necessary in the feminist movement to make a truly inclusionary and multicultural. This is for challenging, vital, and important to read.

Welcome to the group! Adding you to the first post.
Yes, just title & author & a brief review is fine. I love dystopian/apocalyptic books.

I've been away from the DIS so missed the initial sign up. I can't believe it's February already!

I think I'll try for 75 books this year. Here are the first few.

1. Heads You Win by Jeffrey Archer
Explores the idea of what would happen if you made a different choice at some point in your life. Good!

2. Bird Box by Josh Malerman
Inspired the Netflix movie of the same name. The movie followed the book pretty well. Good!

3. A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierly
LOVED this book. Four year old Saroo accidentally gets trapped on a train and is transported across India. The book follows his life; first surviving as a young child on the streets of Calcutta and into his adulthood. It was made into the movie Lion.

4. Night Moves by Jonathan Kellerman
Alex Delaware #33. A family comes home from a short evening out to find a body in their house. Lots of twists and turn. Pretty good

5. Serafina and the Splintered Heart by Robert Beatty
Third of a fantasy, mystery series, aimed at middle school readers. I read these because they are set at the Biltmore House in Asheville. The first couple of books were fun following the adventures of two friends. This third one though went a little over the top on the fantasy aspect.

6. The Girls by Emma Cline
Evie is a young teen who gets caught up in a "wanna be cult" located near where she lives. It took a long time to get into this book but turned out pretty interesting at the end.

7. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
Really cute YA novel made into a Netflix movie. Lara Jean has written letters to boys she has loved and keeps them in a hatbox. Suddenly the hatbox disappears and the boys have received their letter which was never intended to happen.

I've been away from the DIS so missed the initial sign up. I can't believe it's February already!

I think I'll try for 75 books this year. Here are the first few.

1. Heads You Win by Jeffrey Archer
Explores the idea of what would happen if you made a different choice at some point in your life. Good!

2. Bird Box by Josh Malerman
Inspired the Netflix movie of the same name. The movie followed the book pretty well. Good!

3. A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierly
LOVED this book. Four year old Saroo accidentally gets trapped on a train and is transported across India. The book follows his life; first surviving as a young child on the streets of Calcutta and into his adulthood. It was made into the movie Lion.

4. Night Moves by Jonathan Kellerman
Alex Delaware #33. A family comes home from a short evening out to find a body in their house. Lots of twists and turn. Pretty good

Third of a fantasy, mystery series, aimed at middle school readers. I read these because they are set at the Biltmore House in Asheville. The first couple of books were fun following the adventures of two friends. This third one though went a little over the top on the fantasy aspect.

6. The Girls by Emma Cline
Evie is a young teen who gets caught up in a "wanna be cult" located near where she lives. It took a long time to get into this book but turned out pretty interesting at the end.

7. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
Really cute YA novel made into a Netflix movie. Lara Jean has written letters to boys she has loved and keeps them in a hatbox. Suddenly the hatbox disappears and the boys have received their letter which was never intended to happen.
Welcome! Adding you to first post.

#7/60
I Am Still Alive by Kate Alice Marshall
After
Jess is alone. Her cabin has burned to the ground. She knows if she doesn’t act fast, the cold will kill her before she has time to worry about food. But she is still alive—for now.
Before
Jess hadn’t seen her survivalist, off-the-grid dad in over a decade. But after a car crash killed her mother and left her injured, she was forced to move to his cabin in the remote Canadian wilderness. Just as Jess was beginning to get to know him, a secret from his past paid them a visit, leaving her father dead and Jess stranded.
After
With only her father’s dog for company, Jess must forage and hunt for food, build shelter, and keep herself warm. Some days it feels like the wild is out to destroy her, but she’s stronger than she ever imagined.

Jess will survive. She has to. She knows who killed her father… and she wants revenge.

I really liked this one altho the ending just felt thrown together.

11/75. The Department of Sensitive Crimes by Alexander McCall Smith

5/30 - Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty

Like you, I became interested in this series since it is set at the Biltmore Estate. I enjoyed the book, and look forward to reading further books in the series.

#8/60
Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger
Part Irish, part Anishinaabe Indian, Corcoran "Cork" O'Connor is the former sheriff of Aurora, Minnesota. Embittered by his "former" status, and the marital meltdown that has separated him from his children, Cork gets by on heavy doses of caffeine, nicotine, and guilt. Once a cop on Chicago's South Side, there's not much that can shock him. But when the town's judge is brutally murdered, and a young Eagle Scout is reported missing, Cork takes on a mind-jolting case of conspiracy, corruption, and scandal.
As a lakeside blizzard buries Aurora, Cork must dig out the truth among town officials who seem dead-set on stopping his investigation in its tracks. But even Cork freezes up when faced with the harshest enemy of all: a small-town secret that hits painfully close to home

First in a series & even tho it was pretty good I probably won't read the others as I have soooo many better sounding books on my to read list.

Thank you for hosting the board Willowsnn3, and for the motivation. I used to read books all the time and got off track a few years ago.

I'll commit to 12 this year.

DS17 is an avid reader and has a bunch of classics on his shelf I've never read. Starting there :)

Thank you for hosting the board Willowsnn3, and for the motivation. I used to read books all the time and got off track a few years ago.

I'll commit to 12 this year.

DS17 is an avid reader and has a bunch of classics on his shelf I've never read. Starting there :)
Welcome!
I think most of us have different stages of reading in our life. I read constantly from the time I first learned to read up until my late teens, then marriage & kids/family/job took every spare minute. Then as the kids got older & I had a little more time I started back reading. Now I work at a job that most days I have time to read a few pages at work & read every night now in bed.
Sooo many books out there I want to read.

4. The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo. Excellent. About first loves but not a trivial trite romance

#9/60
What Rose Forgot by Nevada Barr
Rose Dennis wakes up in a hospital gown, her brain in a fog, only to discover that she's been committed to an Alzheimer's Unit in a nursing home. With no memory of how she ended up in this position, Rose is sure that something is very wrong. When she overhears one of the administrators saying about her that she's "not making it through the week," Rose is convinced that if she's to survive, she has to get out of the nursing home. She avoids taking her medication, putting on a show for the aides, then stages her escape.
The only problem is—how does she convince anyone that she's not actually demented? Her relatives were the ones to commit her, all the legal papers were drawn up, the authorities are on the side of the nursing home, and even she isn't sure she sounds completely sane. But any lingering doubt Rose herself might have had is erased when a would-be killer shows up in her house in the middle of the night. Now Rose knows that someone is determined to get rid of her.
With the help of her computer hacker/recluse sister Marion, thirteen-year old granddaughter Mel, and Mel's friend Royal, Rose begins to gather her strength and fight back—to find out who is after her and take back control of her own life. But someone out there is still determined to kill Rose, and they're holding all the cards.

I really enjoyed this one.

5/25 When I Was You by Minka Kent

A suspenseful psychological thriller about a woman who discovers another woman in her town who is living as her. Had twists and tense moments. I liked it, an easy read.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter