AND THE WINNER IS????? A Poll- Help Me Choose A Cruise :)

Given the Explanation/Background Which Cruise Should I Choose?

• The Dream

• The Magic

• Tied, Both Are Good

Results are only viewable after voting.

ForMyBoys

DIS Veteran
After reading all replies and looking over the polls we officially put our deposit down today for the MAGIC!!! DH was very keen on the two separate rooms and my older DS said he could skip the aquaduct considering we will be going to Atlantis and he gets a few days at Disney before the cruise. Plus he liked everyone's comments that there would be less crowding at the pool.

So our loooong count down begins. At least we go to the Disney parks in just a couple months. Thank you everyone for your help!!!

Hi All, We are planning our first disney cruise. We have 3 boys that will be 3 (almost 4), 7 and 11 at the time of cruising. So we are a family of 5 :)

We originally thought a 3 night cruise but you DISers talked me into a 4 night cruise. For the dates we'd like (Spring break week of April 2014) we are left with two options. As Follows:

1) 4 night cruise on the Disney Dream in One Category 8c Deluxe Family Ocean View State Room. 241 Square feet. Cost- $4,083.10 (less $200 On Board Credit). There are many of these available so many options for staterooms.

OR

2) 4 night cruise on the Disney Magic in Two Connecting Category 10A Deluxe inside staterooms. 214 Square each, total 428 sq. feet. Cost- $3,993.10 (less $150 On Board Credit). We were able to reserve staterooms 5022 & 5024 (the secret porthole rooms) so we would have an obstructed ocean view.

Which would you choose? Feel free to add comments or just vote. I would especially love comments from those that have sailed on both ships. Thanks!!!

I wanted to say the Dream because we are going on the dream April 2014 spring break. My son will be 12 then. But the for double the size, I have to say the Magic. We've been on 2 cruises both on the Magic & loved them. What ports does your family like better? Is one start/end date better for your family then the other?

I have been on both, and while I loved the Dream the Magic will always have my heart and be my favorite Disney ship. (So the Magic got my vote.) We really prefer the intimate setting on the classic ships, with the smaller number of passengers. In addition, having two staterooms is a huge plus (more space to move around in, more bathrooms...enough said!). Since your boys seems to be at that age where swimming in the pool may be important to them, the pools are much better on the Magic. Not that they are bigger, but they deal with fewer passengers.

To be honest, you cannot go wrong with either. Just my opinion that the Magic makes for a wonderful cruise!

I have been on both, and while I loved the Dream the Magic will always have my heart and be my favorite Disney ship. (So the Magic got my vote.) We really prefer the intimate setting on the classic ships, with the smaller number of passengers. In addition, having two staterooms is a huge plus (more space to move around in, more bathrooms...enough said!). Since your boys seems to be at that age where swimming in the pool may be important to them, the pools are much better on the Magic. Not that they are bigger, but they deal with fewer passengers.

To be honest, you cannot go wrong with either. Just my opinion that the Magic makes for a wonderful cruise!
I couldn't agree more! :thumbsup2

I haven't been on either boat (we've sailed the Wonder twice), but from what you describe, I'd pick the Magic! Twice the space, secret portholes, less money. FWIW, we adored the Wonder and stayed in one of the SPH. :thumbsup2

Thank you for all the responses so far. I was leaning towards the Magic but a friend of mine at work who booked a cruise on the Dream made me second guess myself today. She mentioned, smaller ship, smaller pools, etc. and thought there would be less to do.

In the end though with it being only a 4 night cruise and only one sea day I'm guessing there will be plenty to do.

To answer some of the poster's questions, the ports are exactly the same and the cruises only leave 1 day apart from each other, one is Sun-Thur and one is Mon-Fri, either way we'd have time either before or after the cruise to spend a couple days at Disney and/or Universal and they both fit in the week of spring break so it doesn't really matter to us.

ForMyBoys said:
She mentioned, smaller ship, smaller pools, etc. and thought there would be less to do.

The consensus on the pools on the new ships seems to be from many posts I have read is that while they might be bigger, they are not bigger proportional to how many guests the ship can hold. So it's actually more crowded overall.

I personally LOVE the smaller ships for the smaller amount of people (fewer crowds), more personalized service, and the staterooms are larger when compared across categorical lines. Other people prefer the new ships for all the bells and whistles and the more modern "amusement park at sea" mentality that cruising has become on mainstream lines. Different classes of ships for different people and what they want for their vacations. Smaller ship does not mean lesser ship.

You will have a great time. :D

I have sailed on the Dream and Wonder but not the Magic. My daughter thinks the kids club on the Dream is better. She was 3 on the Wonder sailing and 6 on the Dream. The Aqua Duck is great and the Nemo Splash is great spot for younger children. We were in cabin 8010 on the Dream which is an 8C. There is a queen bed, pull down berth, murphy bed and sofa/futon. Our cabin had the split bathroom. The port hole window seat was fabulous. It was roomy for the three of us. Plenty of room under the bed to store luggage. We have booked the same cabin for our next cruise. I think you will be pleased with whatever choice you make.

Regarding the pools, We have been on the Fantasy, Magic & Wonder. I find the adult pool to seem smaller on the Fantasy [due to the layout], and the family pool may seem bigger on the Fantasy, but again the layout with more open space between the funnel for both the kid & family pools makes it seem that way. Either way, there are fewer people on the Magic so the pool never seemed as crowded as we saw it on the Fantasy.

Regarding storing lugage under the bed, simply lift the bed frame on the Magic/Wonder to slide it underneath. We fit 4 large suitcases under there on the EBPC repo with others nestled inside.

Hi All, We are planning our first disney cruise. We have 3 boys that will be 3 (almost 4), 7 and 11 at the time of cruising. So we are a family of 5 :)

We originally thought a 3 night cruise but you DISers talked me into a 4 night cruise. For the dates we'd like (Spring break week of April 2014) we are left with two options. As Follows:

1) 4 night cruise on the Disney Dream in One Category 8c Deluxe Family Ocean View State Room. 241 Square feet. Cost- $4,083.10 (less $200 On Board Credit). There are many of these available so many options for staterooms.

OR

2) 4 night cruise on the Disney Magic in Two Connecting Category 10A Deluxe inside staterooms. 214 Square each, total 428 sq. feet. Cost- $3,993.10 (less $150 On Board Credit). We were able to reserve staterooms 5022 & 5024 (the secret porthole rooms) so we would have an obstructed ocean view.

Which would you choose? Feel free to add comments or just vote. I would especially love comments from those that have sailed on both ships. Thanks!!!

Ok, so I have sailed all four ships and I lived in Milwaukee for three years, so treat my thoughts like gospel. :rotfl:

Anyhow, I would choose the Magic for me and my family, but I voted for the Dream for you. Since both are four night cruises, not much different there.

Next, the main differences are size, levels of service, venues, and Aquaduck. While the Dream is bigger, it is manageable. I like the smaller restaurants of the original ships, but not so much more that I would choose solely on that.

Service is great on both ships, but a little slower in the main dining rooms (MDRs) on the Dream. It has to do with a long circuitous route for the servers to get to the galley and the soda station. Especially with this being your first DCL cruise, you won't likely be bothered by this.

The Dream has mini golf, a fun splash area for your 3 year old, and it has the Aquaduck! On a four night cruise one ship vs the other, I will give the Dream the slight edge for having the Aquaduck.

The good news: you can't go wrong! Enjoy.

Here's my 2 cents -- We have only been on the Wonder (similar to Magic) and Fantasy (similar to Dream).

Just got off the Fantasy a few weeks ago -- my oldest (9) loved the Aquaduck (rode it 23 times - we were on a 7 day cruise), he played miniature golf 1x, and we spent a night playing the Muppets game (scavenger hunt). Food was disappointing (comparing this to the Wonder), but Palo was awesome (never disappoints me), and the service (dining room and housecleaning) wasn't spectacular (again comparing to the Wonder). Maybe because it's a larger ship and they're still trying to work out the kinks, but it's still a beautiful work of art.

We're going on the Wonder in 2014 for the 4th time --- I absolutely love this ship. The food and service are top notch, we hit the pools early in the morning or after dinner (of course they will be crowded during Spring Break during the day and especially at Sea Days). We always get an inside stateroom and the rooms are slightly larger on the Wonder and have a tad bit more storage. This is a gorgeous Classic ship, and I truly love it.

It also depends on the Ports you go to (if they're important to you). In my opinion, being big, new and fancy isn't always better :thumbsup2

I would go with the 2 connecting rooms. An extra bathroom, less money, plus you got secret porthole!

Bumping to get a few more replies. So many of you have already voted, thank you!!!

Hmmm... Aquaduck has me teetering because I know my two oldest would love it....but two rooms is a HUGE thing. Slow service would bug me though...I'm all about efficiency so if the magic has quicker service that would be an important factor to me.

I'm also curious to see the Magic after the long dry dock renovations.

Keep the posts coming!! I wish you could tour the ships before purchasing a cruise.... we will be in Orlando in two months.

Thanks!

I'd pick the Magic for me because I'd like fewer people on my vacation (CC, excursions), but with kids those ages I'd go for the Dream. You don't really care about the staterooms because you won't be there much, and it's 4 days. I thought the Aquaduck was boring, but I'm not a 12 year old boy. The sports deck et al is better on the Dream (but see, I don't care about that for me!) More room for the pirate party on the Dream.

the Magic will be all new and shiny in 2014, but I still think with 3 boys they'll like the Dream more.

Nancy

Official poll results- 53 voters

15% voted for the Dream
70% voted for the Magic
15% voted no preference

Magic wins hands down ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!