Anaheim days 4 - 7

diberry

DIS Veteran
Sun 21st

I’m going to skip quickly over Sunday and Monday as we didn’t go to Disney. We had 5 day hopper tickets so we decided to keep our last 2 days for Tuesday and Wednesday. On Sunday we went to Universal Studios Hollywood. We went on the Studios bus tour which includes an earthquake, attacks by Jaws and King Kong, rain and a flash flood. It took an hour and we went all over the studios and saw lots of different sets including Wisteria Lane from “Desperate Housewives”!! After that we went to see Shrek 4D which was a funny interactive show exactly the same as at Universal Orlando. Then down to the Lower Lot where we went on Jurassic Park River Adventure, again identical with Orlando’s, which was very good though we both got wet and Dave as usual got very wet!!! Lastly we went to “Waterworld” which is a live show with lots of action, boats, jet skis, a seaplane etc – very good. Some of the announcements were in English, Spanish and Japanese which made sense because we’d noticed a huge number of Japanese people in California as well as a great many South Americans like in WDW.
It wasn’t a patch on Orlando’s Universal Studios in my opinion especially as lots of the rides we like best there, are combined into the studio tour so the whole thing’s over in an hour.
After we had been there for about 4½ hours it was extremely hot so we decided to leave and go to Hollywood. We parked at the Hollywood and Highland Complex which is right next to Graumann’s Chinese Theater where we saw the stars’ handprints in the cement and the Walk of Fame including Walt Disney’s
therealhollywoodblvd2.jpg

and Mickey Mouse’s stars!!
There were lots of rather tacky people around dressed as various characters and film stars and you could have your photo taken with them if you gave them a tip!!! (We resisted the temptation!!) Then we walked up to the higher levels of the Hollywood and Highland shopping complex from where we could see the Hollywood sign. But the whole area was very tacky and about as far from glamorous as you could imagine!!
We came back to the hotel to relax for a while – I went in the jacuzzi and then we just sat by the pool and had a nice rest. Later on we went to Downtown Disney to the ESPN zone again where we sat at the bar with some drinks and had another nice (though enormous) meal!!!

Mon 22nd

We had a late start, had breakfast at Denny’s down the street and then went to Downtown Disney for some serious shopping!!! (well, shopping for me and ESPN zone for Dave!!!) The World of Disney store is big but nowhere near as big as the one in Orlando and had much less choice of merchandise. Nevertheless I managed to spend quite a lot of money!!
The afternoon we spent by or in the pool which was very relaxing and very warm and then we spent the evening wandering round Downtown Disney for a while just enjoying the atmosphere and live music.

Tues 23rd

It was an Early Entry day today (there are 4 EE days each week but you are only allowed to use one of them) so we were at the park when it opened at 7.00!!! The Main Street Band were there to greet us. First of all we headed for Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters which we rode twice. Then we went across to Fantasyland where we did Peter Pan’s Flight and Pinocchio, “Small World” and saw the little figures come out on the clock outside which they do every quarter of an hour.
As we were wandering near the castle we saw Cinderella and Snow White so of course I had to have my picture taken with them!! They have a little chat with everyone nowadays so the queue gets quite long!
California2005145.jpg

We went on Splash Mountain where as usual Dave got soaked as he was sitting in the front seat.
After that we got the monorail from Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney where we had a breakfast reservation in Goofy’s Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel. There was an enormous buffet with everything you could possibly want for breakfast or lunch. We met quite a few characters including Chip and Dale, Mary Poppins , Donald Duck,
California2005150.jpg

Goofy of course and his son Max (first time I knew he had a child!!!).
We then headed back to Toontown where we met Mickey in his barn and had a look round his house and the rest of Toontown.
California2005154.jpg

As we were walking past the castle again we saw Belle posing for pictures. We also saw Mickey climbing the Matterhorn which he does twice a day with Minnie and Goofy urging him on!! It can’t be easy in those enormous shoes!!
matterhornMickey.jpg

We had another go on Splash Mountain and met Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger who were very entertaining and very affectionate!!
California2005160.jpg

California2005161.jpg

California2005162.jpg

We went to the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean and had a look round the Disney Gallery upstairs which has loads of (very expensive) prints from the films etc.
After that Dave went back to the hotel while I watched the spectacular 50th Anniversary parade “Parade of Dreams” which really was the best parade I’ve ever seen,
start2.jpg

MM2.jpg

followed by a bit of extra shopping including “Guest of Honour” badges with our names on them for Rhiannon and me and various other “essentials”!!! before also heading back to do the packing!!! As always we seemed to have an awful lot more than we took and it was quite a job getting everything in the 2 cases!!
In the evening we had reservations at the Blue Bayou restaurant by the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. The setting is lovely and the meal was (pricey but) delicious!!
After that we headed straight to the hub for the fireworks show “Remember - Dreams Come True”. It was absolutely heaving and impossible to get a really good spot but we got a reasonable one and were able to see most of the projections on to the castle as well as the fireworks themselves which were really spectacular. Throughout the show images are projected onto the castle and the Matterhorn and the music for each character, ride, land in the park etc is played. Then Tinkerbell appears and flies across the sky. Walt’s speech from the opening day of the park is broadcast which is definitely a bit spooky and then there is a whole series of excerpts from rides all over the park with the music for each of them and appropriately coloured and shaped fireworks: this one’s the Haunted Mansion and you can see the ghosts projected onto the castle wall.
HM3.jpg

Of course there were Mickey shaped fireworks too!!
Mickeyears.jpg

The whole show was really spectacular and lasted nearly 20 minutes.
Then we walked back up to New Orleans Square to wait for Fantasmic. A jazz band on a raft that floats back and forth along the river entertains you while you wait. It was very busy and there’s no arena with seats like at WDW – you stand or sit on the ground unless you’re lucky like us and find a couple of free spaces on a wall!! Although the show was a bit different from the one at WDW, it was also excellent. Throughout the park there are collages made up from hundreds of photos sent in by visitors from previous years. It’s absolutely incredible how they’ve put them together to make pictures of lots of the main characters and shows. This is the Fantasmic one and on the closer image you can see the individual photos – really amazing!!!
Fantasmic.jpg

Fantasmic3.jpg
After that we finally left the park about 16½ hours after we started!!

Wed 24th

We checked out of the hotel and went to the Magic Kingdom for the last time. First we had breakfast at the Carnation Café on Main Street and then went on Splash Mountain, the Jungle Cruise and Buzz for the last time too. We saw the “First 50 Years” exhibit in the Opera House on Main Street, which was very good indeed. These are more collages made from people’s photos.
MickeyWalt.jpg

MickeyWalt2.jpg

There was artwork, designs and models showing how Walt Disney’s dream became reality followed by a film telling the story. And then it was time to say “Farewell” to Disneyland after a really good first visit to the original park!!!
We drove to LA, took off at about 5 p.m. local time and arrived back at the house after a journey of 19 hours door-to-door – but it had been worth it!!!

Wow, those collages are incredible!!! Wish I knew how to do that! That would make a great Christmas gift for my sisters. The photo of Mickey climbing the Matterhorn was precious. :earsboy: I see, through your pics., that you had a nice collection of T-shirts to take home. ;) I can imagine that your suitcases were bulging on the return trip. Tell Dave I'll ride the water rides with him anytime. Sounds like I would stay nice & dry, since all the water would be landing on him. :p Thanks for the great reports & pics. Makes me want to go!!! :hyper:

Your holiday sounded wonderful Di, makes me want to go again even more!

I wondered about Max too when I first saw him - Who's his mum?

Di
brillant trip report, along with photographs and I agree those collages were very cleverly done.

Now I imagine those golden ears are going to be visiting DLP at Christmas season :goodvibes

Reid

Joanne UK said:
Your holiday sounded wonderful Di, makes me want to go again even more!

I wondered about Max too when I first saw him - Who's his mum?
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Good question!!!! Don't even want to think about that!!!!!

tarheelmjfan said:
Wow, those collages are incredible!!! Wish I knew how to do that! That would make a great Christmas gift for my sisters. The photo of Mickey climbing the Matterhorn was precious. :earsboy: I see, through your pics., that you had a nice collection of T-shirts to take home. ;) I can imagine that your suitcases were bulging on the return trip. Tell Dave I'll ride the water rides with him anytime. Sounds like I would stay nice & dry, since all the water would be landing on him. :p Thanks for the great reports & pics. Makes me want to go!!! :hyper:
That's so nice of you - thank you very much!! :wave:

Cyrano said:
Di
brillant trip report, along with photographs and I agree those collages were very cleverly done.

Now I imagine those golden ears are going to be visiting DLP at Christmas season :goodvibes

Reid
You know me so well!!!! :Pinkbounc

The collages are absolutely incredible, wow! And I love the look of that parade. It looks a lot more glitzy than the ones at Paris! Fab report once again. :)

Mickey climbing the Matterhorn. How cool is that! :teeth:

Those collages are just amazing!!!

What a wonderful trip you must have had Di!!! :flower:

wow, sounds amazing!!!

How would you rate the parks you have been to?

I'd say:

1 DL CA MK
2 WDW AK
3 DL CA CA
4 WDW MK
5 WDW STUDIOS
6 WDW EP

Stevey

These are great photos especially the ones from the parade. Thanks for sharing.
I love to see the collages especially as I know there is a photo of my family in one of them. I really feel part of the magic.

Thanks fro the reports it makes me wish we could go.

best wishes

MICKEY'S DREAMERS said:
California2005145.jpg

How nice!
With Grumpy on your head!

grumpy2.gif

GRUMP!
Ha! Ha! Marco - I hadn't noticed that!!! Well spotted!! He is the best of the dwarfs after all!!! :love:

SteveyJC said:
wow, sounds amazing!!!

How would you rate the parks you have been to?

I'd say:

1 DL CA MK
2 WDW AK
3 DL CA CA
4 WDW MK
5 WDW STUDIOS
6 WDW EP

Stevey
MK WDW will always come first with me followed by the other two MKs. Animal Kingdom would have to come next, then MGM and Epcot. I don't rate DLP Studios park very highly at the moment but I'm sure it will get better and better as they add more attractions. I'll probably get lynched now!!!

BONITATIME said:
I love to see the collages especially as I know there is a photo of my family in one of them. I really feel part of the magic.
Those collages are absolutely mind-blowing. I can't imagine how they did them. How lovely to know some of your family members are in one of them!

I have really enjoyed reading your reports Di. Lovely photos and I agree, those collages are totally overwhelming. Nikki, wow, you are very lucky to have your family photo there.
DLC sounds lovely and I would love to go there one day but I am wondering if it would be better to wait until its just DH and myself. Talk about forward planning, we haven't even been back to WDW a second time yet and my youngest DD is only 8, I don't think she's planning on leaving home just yet!!! LOL

Forgot to say your golden ears will be the envy of everyone at DLP on your next trip!!!:earseek:

Ware Bears said:
I have really enjoyed reading your reports Di. Lovely photos and I agree, those collages are totally overwhelming. Nikki, wow, you are very lucky to have your family photo there.
DLC sounds lovely and I would love to go there one day but I am wondering if it would be better to wait until its just DH and myself. Talk about forward planning, we haven't even been back to WDW a second time yet and my youngest DD is only 8, I don't think she's planning on leaving home just yet!!! LOL
Well, I know how you like to plan with 3 trips already in the pipeline!!! I think we'll be back in WDW next summer - we really missed it this year even though we had a great time in California. The weather's so much more pleasant on the West Coast but we just love WDW so much.

Ware Bears said:
Forgot to say your golden ears will be the envy of everyone at DLP on your next trip!!!:earseek:
Well absolutely!!! I sort of imagined WDW and DLP would be selling 50th anniversary merchandise too - don't they have things like that? Golden ears are the fashion accessory this autumn, you know!!!!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter