An article on "Does DVC save you money?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
But my family would never stay in a studio. Our intent of getting a DVC is for the space.
Oh we switch it up as well, just pointing out where the best value is when people are comparing rack rate to DVC points. We like that there are a variety of rooms (actually have a Value 2BR booked for next year for just the 3 of us).

Then you've never stayed at WDW during peak travel season (or at least, not in the last few years). Many families can't travel offseason due to school. I'm staying at the GF in mid-March this year using an AP discount (40% off rack rate), and the pre-tax price for a garden view room for my dates was $520 per night (over $600 with tax).

That said, when comparing DVC savings to non-DVC, potential buyers need to consider common discounts before making the comparison. If you go to WDW often enough to buy DVC, then it makes sense to get an annual pass (whether or not you buy DVC), and annual pass discounts are the most generous room-only discounts WDW offers the general public. 40% off of deluxe resorts is a standard AP discount. Even without getting an AP, the seasonal room-only discounts typically are 30-35% for deluxe resorts. That should be taken into consideration when comparing deluxe resort pricing vs. buying into DVC.

When I attended a DVC presentation on our Disney cruise, it rubbed me the wrong way to see the presenter only comparing DVC prices to rack rate for deluxe resorts. WDW offers a lot of discounts to rack rate, and offers them regularly.

We only visit WDW during school breaks. Last time we stayed was 4th of July week, 2018.

That trip was at the Tower Club Level of the Contemporary. Our AFTER TAX price per night? $597.43. This was for 7/3-7/7. We followed on at the Beach Club- Deluxe Room CL...7/7-7/14/2018...$497.98 per night.

I maintain my position that someone who routinely paid over $700/night "after discounts" was either not getting any discounts, or was staying in a suite or something. Definitely not normal discounted rates for Deluxe resorts.

Last edited:
That’s awesome, ~$350/night before tax for Grand Floridian. Please send me the link to that price; we have family that want to join us on a trip.

I never said that was today's price. The person I quoted was using prices he/she claimed to have paid on PAST VACATIONS to justify a DVC purchase, which presumably has already happened.

I paid $363/night (taxes in) in the first week of Aug 2016 for an Outer Bldg-Lagoon View at GF. Upon checkin, we were upgraded to a theme park view room. I am looking at my confirmation email right now. Want a copy?

I never said that was today's price. The person I quoted was using prices he/she claimed to have paid on PAST VACATIONS to justify a DVC purchase, which presumably has already happened.

I paid $363/night (taxes in) in the first week of Aug 2016 for an Outer Bldg-Lagoon View at GF. Upon checkin, we were upgraded to a theme park view room. I am looking at my confirmation email right now. Want a copy?

I don’t think it’s fair to criticize someone who may have not gotten the good deal you did or iimply the price they used is not accurate

I bought DVC in 2009 and we were regularly paying close to $300, with 40% discounts for CR for our trips. GF was at least $100 more a night for many of our summer trips so $400 to $500/night at GF in the past was pretty standard, even with discounts.

Then you've never stayed at WDW during peak travel season (or at least, not in the last few years). Many families can't travel offseason due to school. I'm staying at the GF in mid-March this year using an AP discount (40% off rack rate), and the pre-tax price for a garden view room for my dates was $520 per night (over $600 with tax).

That said, when comparing DVC savings to non-DVC, potential buyers need to consider common discounts before making the comparison. If you go to WDW often enough to buy DVC, then it makes sense to get an annual pass (whether or not you buy DVC), and annual pass discounts are the most generous room-only discounts WDW offers the general public. 40% off of deluxe resorts is a standard AP discount. Even without getting an AP, the seasonal room-only discounts typically are 30-35% for deluxe resorts. That should be taken into consideration when comparing deluxe resort pricing vs. buying into DVC.

When I attended a DVC presentation on our Disney cruise, it rubbed me the wrong way to see the presenter only comparing DVC prices to rack rate for deluxe resorts. WDW offers a lot of discounts to rack rate, and offers them regularly.
Don't forget the added expense to park a car if you drive or rent and are on a cash stay. $29 a night at the moment I believe. Sounds small enough but 7 nights = extra $203 a trip

I don’t think it’s fair to criticize someone who may have not gotten the good deal you did or iimply the price they used is not accurate

I bought DVC in 2009 and we were regularly paying close to $300, with 40% discounts for CR for our trips. GF was at least $100 more a night for many of our summer trips so $400 to $500/night at GF in the past was pretty standard, even with discounts.

That's a far cry from a "discounted" price of $700/night before taxes. It is those kind of overinflated prices that people use to justify their DVC purchase, just like the guides use rack rate, as though discounts aren't a thing.

I have been traveling to WDW annually, since 2001 always with a 35-40% discount. Always deluxe. Just for fun, I looked back to our December 2011 trip at the BC-Club Level. $306/night. We probably could have stayed in a standard room for around $200.

We only visit WDW during school breaks. Last time we stayed was 4th of July week, 2018.

That trip was at the Tower Club Level of the Contemporary. Our AFTER TAX price per night? $597.43. This was for 7/3-7/7. We followed on at the Beach Club- Deluxe Room CL...7/7-7/14/2018...$497.98 per night.

I maintain my position that someone who routinely paid over $700/night "after discounts" was either not getting any discounts, or was staying in a suite or something. Definitely not normal discounted rates for Deluxe resorts.
Most likely comparing hotel room price instead of cash studio price. DVC is studio or above.

That's a far cry from a "discounted" price of $700/night before taxes. It is those kind of overinflated prices that people use to justify their DVC purchase, just like the guides use rack rate, as though discounts aren't a thing.

I have been traveling to WDW annually, since 2001 always with a 35-40% discount. Always deluxe. Just for fun, I looked back to our December 2011 trip at the BC-Club Level. $306/night. We probably could have stayed in a standard room for around $200.

$700/night was not stated before tax, it was stated as with tax (bold and underlined in the post). You should read more closely before mis-quoting. Further, I’m not sure how quoting a price you got sometime 5 years ago is helpful, other than perhaps to look down at others as they can’t shop hotel prices as well as you shopped in 2016, random and irrelevant to someone trying to make a buying decision today. That said, even at half of today’s price, the presented math still far favors DVC in that scenario. I don’t know what point you are trying to make.

2018 is ancient history in terms of Disney pricing. $700 per night for the Grand Floridian during Christmas season (when the PP probably went if that was the price with discounts) is currently a steal.

Don't forget the added expense to park a car if you drive or rent and are on a cash stay. $29 a night at the moment I believe. Sounds small enough but 7 nights = extra $203 a trip
True, but there is no need to drive if you fly in. People who choose to rent DVC points (instead of buying) are also exempt from paying any parking fees.

Man, you really overpaid for the GF hotel.

I always use a discount and never paid over $400 per night all in at any Disney deluxe resort (incl. GF) unless we were staying Club Level.
I totally disagree it will be a lot more I never have gotten a GF room for less then 600 a night which is a lot more then 1400 a week even 400 a night is still a lot more then 1400

$700/night was not stated before tax, it was stated as with tax (bold and underlined in the post). You should read more closely before mis-quoting. Further, I’m not sure how quoting a price you got sometime 5 years ago is helpful, other than perhaps to look down at others as they can’t shop hotel prices as well as you shopped in 2016, random and irrelevant to someone trying to make a buying decision today. That said, even at half of today’s price, the presented math still far favors DVC in that scenario. I don’t know what point you are trying to make.

I'm arguing the general point that DVC doesn't save you money. If your math says it does, you are using numbers that aren't based in reality, especially at today's direct prices for points. There is NO way to make a direct sale justifiable when given the plethora of discounts that continue to be offered at various times of year. It's even hard to justify a resale purchase.

I have occasionally been emotionally swayed by DVC, and have run the numbers using ACTUAL prices I paid in the past, and extrapolating it out to the future, and at the end of the day, being on the hook for 40 years worth of maintenance fees is where they get you. It's not the initial cost of the contract.

This topic comes up cyclically here on the DIS. This is just another one where posters try to justify a luxury purchase as some sort of smart financial move. It's not, no matter how you spin it. DVC means money out of your wallet, and almost always MUCH more money given to the Disney company than you otherwise would have.

I'm arguing the general point that DVC doesn't save you money. If your math says it does, you are using numbers that aren't based in reality, especially at today's direct prices for points. There is NO way to make a direct sale justifiable when given the plethora of discounts that continue to be offered at various times of year. It's even hard to justify a resale purchase.

I have occasionally been emotionally swayed by DVC, and have run the numbers using ACTUAL prices I paid in the past, and extrapolating it out to the future, and at the end of the day, being on the hook for 40 years worth of maintenance fees is where they get you. It's not the initial cost of the contract.

This topic comes up cyclically here on the DIS. This is just another one where posters try to justify a luxury purchase as some sort of smart financial move. It's not, no matter how you spin it. DVC means money out of your wallet, and almost always MUCH more money given to the Disney company than you otherwise would have.

I clearly laid out the math. It’s not even close. It saves us a lot. if you don’t agree with one of the figures I laid out, point it out, using the equivalent property and today’s prices, not irrelevant info to seem like you are a better shopper.

I just priced out my stay for May. We have a two bedroom lake view villa because there will be 4 adults and 2 children. It cost us 465 points. Let’s say our points were as high as $13/point including current maintenance fees (they weren’t). That is $6,045. I priced out a 2 bedroom suite in an outer building with the current 30% discount (if we didn’t have DVC then we wouldn’t have annual passes). That came to $15,520.88 for just the two bedroom suite, no tickets.

When I switched to a single garden view room with the same discount, it came to $4,154.08 for just the room but I need two rooms because I have 6 people so my cost would be $8,308.16 for just the room.

So, just for this stay, I’ve already saved over $2,000 from having DVC instead of two separate rooms and over $9,000 when compared to booking a two bedroom suite.

For us, DVC works out much better for every single trip when compared to paying cash.

Attachments

• 8159A9D9-9836-4BCB-AD81-98079935AA4D.jpeg
    8159A9D9-9836-4BCB-AD81-98079935AA4D.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 13
  • A1E74DD3-6FA9-4DBF-8A13-2FB6E6A4E447.png
    A1E74DD3-6FA9-4DBF-8A13-2FB6E6A4E447.png
    164.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

DLgal, everything that you said I have thought about. That's why I question where the saving is about DVC. My family prefers to stay at Deluxe resort, CL if we can pull it off. That's why my family drive 1000 miles one way instead of flying... I paid close to $700 per night for GF Main building CL room in the summer of 2018. During that trip, I actually got a room upgrade to stay in the Presidential Suite Rm 4001 for 3 nights. Yes it was a lot of money but I don't think I can fairly comparing CL experience with DVC.

I just priced out my stay for May. We have a two bedroom lake view villa because there will be 4 adults and 2 children. It cost us 465 points. Let’s say our points were as high as $13/point including current maintenance fees (they weren’t). That is $6,045. I priced out a 2 bedroom suite in an outer building with the current 30% discount (if we didn’t have DVC then we wouldn’t have annual passes). That came to $15,520.88 for just the two bedroom suite, no tickets.

When I switched to a single garden view room with the same discount, it came to $4,154.08 for just the room but I need two rooms because I have 6 people so my cost would be $8,308.16 for just the room.

So, just for this stay, I’ve already saved over $2,000 from having DVC instead of two separate rooms and over $9,000 when compared to booking a two bedroom suite.

For us, DVC works out much better for every single trip when compared to paying cash.
Thanks for sharing the math. The price tag for a 2BR is really high. I
wonder if these GFV 2BR are available at 7 months out. A 200 points GF resale contract is just so expensive.

Thanks for sharing the math. The price tag for a 2BR is really high. I
wonder if these GFV 2BR are available at 7 months out. A 200 points GF resale contract is just so expensive.
Any time! I booked the 2 bedroom lake view at GFV just recently, in mid or late December 2020 for May 2021. I don’t own at GFV so I could only book there within the 7 month window. Obviously, everything is a little wonky due to the pandemic but I jumped on shifting our stay to this as soon as I saw it available.

I definitely would be booking the two separate rooms if we didn’t have DVC since the two bedroom suite at $15k isn’t a villa; it’s just a suite with a common sitting area. It doesn’t have a kitchen or washer and dryer like the villa does.

I thought like you and never bought then in 2017-cost me 5500 2018-cost me 6000 2019-6800 get the pitcher if I would of bought in 2017 I would of saved thousand. I bought a AKV-235 points for 90 dollars each and my dues are roughly 2000.those 3 years would of paid for the contract and now in stead of paying 6000 per year I pay 2000. also I'm a firm believer in a vacation everyone needs a break. I would like someone to compare any vacation where not prepared to spend 3-4 thousand no matter where you go. I take my whole family with me every year there both newly marriage and struggling with a new baby <<<<(My Grandson) and it gives me joy to help them out in my latter years so you see there is a savings and a whole LOT more then just money

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter