An Adventure into Walt's Wonderful World-a pre-trip report New 12/17

Disneygrl36

Happy DVC member!!!!
So we know that it all started with a mouse………

BUT this story started with a browsing session on the Adventures by Disney website. I was drooling over all the trips when I found the Backstage Magic trip which is the ultimate trip for a Disney geek like myself. So after much discussion with my husband & much explaining of how so many of the experiences are so unique that there is no way that you can arrange them on your own, I called to book the trip on January 29, 2008. We wanted to go on an adult only adventure since we don’t have any kids, so we decided on the Dec 9-14th adult only trip. At this point, we also decided to add at least one night so we could stay at Disneyland on Sunday to have more time to explore the parks. Later on, we also added on Monday the 15th as well. We are using DVC points to stay the 2 extra nights at the Grand Californian. We also decided to fly out ahead of time so we can adjust to the time difference & to see another part of California. We are flying out on Saturday Dec 6th to San Diego & spending the 3 nights before the Adventure starts there. I have been to California once but my husband has never been. On my trip to California in 2001, we traveled to Disneyland but were just there for a day & a half. I was with my Mom & 2 brothers in their late teens, so I did not get to really soak up Walt’s original park the way I wanted to that time around, so I am looking very forward to changing all that in December. We also visited San Diego on that trip & I think it is a beautiful city & it’s closer to LA/Hollywood where our adventure will be starting that some of the other places in California that we would like to visit eventually.

So now we are closing in on our trip………we have reached 50 days until we leave.
Yesterday when we got home, there was a box on our front porch from Adventures by Disney. I was so excited because now it seems real.
Here are some pictures of the box & the contents.

The box & the messenger bags.....
101_4332.jpg

Inside the box......
101_4323.jpg

101_4324.jpg

We are so ready for this trip & excited about so many different parts of this adventure.

Up next……Why the Backstage Magic tour & Our Disney histories

Adventures by Disney offers lots of very cool trips with special things to do that you cannot arrange on your own. This is the main reason why we have chosen this trip. Backstage Magic is a tour that encompasses Hollywood & Disneyland.
The itinerary for the trip looks like this & I will highlight the parts that sold this trip to me.

Day 1-Dec 9th “It all started with a mouse”
Arrive Hollywood California to stay at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel
Welcome dinner

Day 2-Dec 10th “Hooray for Hollywood”
Behind the scenes at the El Capitan Theatre
Backstage at Jimmy Kimmel Live
JIM HENSON COMPANY STUDIO TOUR & LUNCH
Dinner & evening on your own in Hollywood

Day 3-Dec 11th “Making the Magic”
Visit Walt Disney Imagineering
Walt Disney studios tour & lunch
Drive to Disneyland & check in at Disney’s grand Californian hotel
Welcome reception & dinner at Hook’s Pointe
Evening on your own in Disneyland

Day 4-Dec 12th “Walt’s world”
Character breakfast at plaza inn
Exclusive backstage tour of Disneyland park
Lunch at Café Orleans
**************VISIT WALT DISNEY’S APARTMENT*********************
Afternoon, dinner & evening on your own in Disneyland

Day 5-Dec 13th “Behind the orange grove”
Breakfast at Goofy’s kitchen
Behind the scenes tour of California adventure park
Lunch & afternoon on your own
Farewell dinner & surprise

Day 6-Dec 14th “Now’s it’s time to say Goodbye”
Goodbye breakfast at Storyteller’s Cafe

As you can see this is a very special tour with lots of activities that you cannot arrange on your own. I cannot believe we will be able to visit Imagineering & get to see where the Magic for the theme parks all begins. I once stood outside on the sidewalk & took pictures of the Walt Disney Studios longing to be able to go in & look around, but there was a guard there & I couldn’t. BUT now I will be able to see where Walt & the 9 Old Men created the wonderful stories that I grew up with as a child & still cherish as an adult. Getting to see Walt Disney’s private apartment where he spent his time at Disneyland is going to be incredible & full of so much history & nostalgia that I know I am going to be overwhelmed with emotion.

Which will lead us to the next part of our story………….Our Disney History.

HI :wave: boo72 Hey that rhymes.
Doesn't look like anybody is reading yet......hope I get someone interested here. It is going to be an awesome trip & I really like sharing.

Since I haven’t done so yet, I guess I should introduce you to the cast of characters.

My name is Melanie & yes I am a Disney geek & have been for some time. But I don’t want help for my problem because it is a fun problem to have. I am 40 for now, about to be 41 on Halloween. I am a registered nurse. I was a pediatric oncology nurse for 10 years & now am working in primary care. I love to read, listen to music & travel.
Here I am last year at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party since it's almost Halloween. :hmghost:
100_0273.jpg

My husbands name is Eric. He is 37 for now, about to be 38 on Oct 24th. He works in a bank as a VP. He loves to run, is learning to play the electric guitar & loves to travel as well.
Here he is last year at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
100_0440.jpg

We have been married for 5 years & together for 8 years. This trip is like a belated 5 year anniversary celebration as we wanted to do the adults only trip & the December one worked the best for us even though our anniversary is in August. We do not have any kids, but do have a furry baby named Bella who is a 5 year old Minature Pinscher that we love & spoil.
100_1132.jpg

The other character needs a little back story.
Back in 2006 when we went on our 1st Disney cruise together, I decided to bring along a mascot/companion & place him in some of our pictures for fun. Here is our buddy from that trip-Sorcerer Mickey on Castaway Cay.
100_2290.jpg

So this has kind of become a tradition now & this little guy joined us last year on our 7 night Halloween cruise because of course there be pirates in the Caribbean.
100_0580.jpg

I will reveal this years travel companion later as I think it is perfect for this trip, but a girl has to have some secrets.

Next up……………The origins of a Disney obsession.

I am following your trip, you are going to have so much fun! I can't wait to hear all about it and see lots of pics!!! I actually don't know much about the Disney Adventures and wasn't aware they had experiences like the one you are going on. HOW FUN

I am sooo in!! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures from Disney!!!!! So excited you started this! :)

Hi Melanie. I am very excited for you. I think you have a pretty good idea as to why. There will be moments when you're on the backlot when you'll have to pinch yourself because you're actually on the backlot. You will also never see pictures of the backlot the same way again. I was watching the Leslie Iwerks documentary about Pixar not long ago and started to get excited when they showed the animation building(and I mean the original one where the Nine Old Men worked their magic).

A friend on another forum commented that I must have been like a kid in a candy store on the backlot. Well that's partially true, but most kids don't really care about the history of candy and how it's created. This will be a singular Disney experience that you will always treasure. If you get some time on Legends Plaza, look around and find the Legends who mean the most to you. And make sure you have a good camera, lots of memory cards or film, and plenty of batteries.

:banana: Yeah I am getting some readers!!!!! :banana:

I am following your trip, you are going to have so much fun! I can't wait to hear all about it and see lots of pics!!! I actually don't know much about the Disney Adventures and wasn't aware they had experiences like the one you are going on. HOW FUN
Oh, you should order the Adventures by Disney info packet. They send this great book with all the trips in it. I am drooling over so many of them, but I think this will be the perfect 1st one for us to do. So glad you are joining me.

I am sooo in!! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures from Disney!!!!! So excited you started this! :)
I am reading your trippie too. I am very behind, but will catch up eventually. I am trying to find out as much as I can before we go. Thanks for reading so far.

Hi Melanie. I am very excited for you. I think you have a pretty good idea as to why. There will be moments when you're on the backlot when you'll have to pinch yourself because you're actually on the backlot. You will also never see pictures of the backlot the same way again. I was watching the Leslie Iwerks documentary about Pixar not long ago and started to get excited when they showed the animation building(and I mean the original one where the Nine Old Men worked their magic).

A friend on another forum commented that I must have been like a kid in a candy store on the backlot. Well that's partially true, but most kids don't really care about the history of candy and how it's created. This will be a singular Disney experience that you will always treasure. If you get some time on Legends Plaza, look around and find the Legends who mean the most to you. And make sure you have a good camera, lots of memory cards or film, and plenty of batteries.
I am so glad you are here & ready to share this experience with me as your trip reports have given me many hours of enjoyment.:goodvibes I sooo cannot wait to see all the things that we are going to see. I think I am most excited about Imagineering & the Studios (your pictures of the Studios really made me excited). I plan on looking for my favorites in the plaza & looking for the surprises on the statue that you mentioned. I can't wait.

I will have the Disney history up tomorrow.:thumbsup2

I'm looking forward to learning about your Disney history. It adds a new level to the report to know of the writer's Disney history and why they love it so much. As you'll soon learn, reading others reports about the Studios reminds you of how unique your own visit was.

I can remember being 4 years old watching the Wonderful World of Disney with my grandparents on Sunday night. One episode stands out prominently in my mind & that was one that included scenes from Disneyland. It showed parts of Great Moment with Mr. Lincoln & some of the scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean. I remember being fascinated & wanting to go visit that magical place. We watched every Sunday night while Walt showed all kinds of wonderful stories. I guess this is where my fascination with him started. I can remember getting a biography at the library when I was in the 3rd grade & doing a book report on Walt. At one point, there was a Disney art show that came to town. Disney artist Bill Justice was going to be there & somehow I talked my sometimes very grouchy grandfather into taking me to this event. I have a much cherished drawing of Snow White which Bill Justice did for me from that day.
Here's is that drawing.....
100_2943.jpg

I couldn’t quite talk my Grandfather into buying me a cel, but I did get a book. I also remember going to see so many Disney movies with my Mom which was always so fun. Another good memory is going to see Disney on Ice & having Snow White come right over to us & getting my picture made with her.
Not the best picture of either one of us, but a great memory for me.
1973-SnowWhite.jpg

I FINALLY got to go to Walt Disney World after much begging & pleading in 1979.
Excuse the weird hat..........:confused3
1979.jpg

It was a most wonderful day & I can remember being so excited that I almost couldn’t maintain myself. I remember very vividly my first glimpse of Cinderella’s castle & watching the Main Street Electrical Parade which totally amazed & delighted me. I can hear that music to this day & still be taken back to that summer night in 1979 immediately. I carried this fascination forward even in high school when I did a term paper on Walt Disney World & how it was built. And, it remains the same today. I have always been fascinated with Walt, his theme parks & his movies. I had multiple trips to WDW after that first one in 1979. We went back as a family around 1984 & that was the first trip for both my baby brothers who were around 4 & 2 at the time.

I went back with a high school friend after we had started college in 1986.
I've always been fascinated with Mary Poppins even in topiarty form.:rotfl:
1987.jpg

And I always loved this mural which is now gone.
1987-mural.jpg

Went again in 1990 & 1992 with he who must not be named otherwise known as my first husband.

Celebrated graduating nursing school in 1995 with a trip to WDW. Went at Christmas time for the first time in 1997 when we saw the beautiful pink birthday cake castle.
1997-PinkCastle.jpg

Went in 2000 for a conference with some girls from work & my best friend flew down at the end & we played together like 2 big kids.

In 2001, I went with my Mom & brothers to Disneyland but it was a very quick trip in which we spent about 1/2 a day in California Adventure & a most of a day in the Magic Kingdom. Not enough time to explore.
Here's my photo of Walt's light.
2001-DisneylandFirestation.jpg

My husband shares my love of all things Disney, but is not quite as obsessed as I am. We have talked about watching the Wonderful World of Disney on TV as kids, but he did not share my passion & doesn’t have specific memories like I do. His love of going to Walt Disney World began more as an adult. He did visit when he was a young teenager in 1984 but he doesn’t have any memories that particularly stick out in his mind. All he can really tell me is they went to Magic Kingdom & EPCOT. He is very wonderful about indulging me in my Disney obsession & he enjoys it almost as much as I do now.

We took our first trip to WDW together in December of 2002 about 9 months before we got married. He got to experience me in my full Disney sappiness when I had a little misty eyed moment not too long after our first day at the Magic Kingdom watching the show in front of Cindy’s castle AND he still married me.
Animal Kingdom christmas tree
2002-AnimalKingdomChristmasTree.jpg

Our next trip was in October 2004 where we celebrated my birthday at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween party on Halloween night. His sister & her husband joined us on this trip & we had a blast.
At my birthday dinner at 1900 Park Fair
2004-UswithCindy.jpg

My very first attempt at a trip report
Mist count trip report

We took a quick romantic trip in February 2005 to celebrate Valentines Day & enjoyed staying at Port Orleans Riverside. We did a romantic carriage ride & had dinner at California Grill.
100_1289.jpg

This was a very quick snippet of a trip report
Valentines Day with Mickey

We went back in Oct 2005 again for a week at the Food & Wine Festival & another trip to MNSSHP.
100_0713.jpg

My husband participated in the ½ marathon in January 2006 & we enjoyed our 1st DVC stay at the Boardwalk & Vero Beach.
100_1224.jpg

We went on a 4 night Wonder cruise in Dec 2006 with my parents followed by time at WDW & Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.
100_2076.jpg

Here's a link to the trip report from this trip
A splash of Wonder & a dash of Christmas cheer

Last year we celebrated my 40th birthday aboard the Disney Magic for a wonderful Halloween cruise. We dressed up as Mary Poppins & Bert on Halloween & won the Most Disney category in the costume contest. Such an awesome way to turn 40.
000_0001.jpg

Here's a link to the trip report from this trip
Pumpkins, Pirates & Poppins: A Magical Halloween cruise around the Moon

This brings us up to date in our Disney History.

Wow what a neat trip you guys have to look forward to! Had I known about that Adventures by Disney trip before we went to DL, I would have booked it instead! I cannot WAIT to hear all about it!!!! Not too much longer now!!!!

I can't wait for you to go! The Adventures by Disney seems amazing! I'm soo jealous! I'm totally in! popcorn::

this so cool!
Thanks & welcome.
I'm in too! Can't wait to hear about your :wizard: backstage trip. Too bad dec is still so far away.
Oh, it's not that far away. I booked this trip last January, so it's seems really close now. Hang in there with me. I hope to make it worth the wait.
Wow what a neat trip you guys have to look forward to! Had I known about that Adventures by Disney trip before we went to DL, I would have booked it instead! I cannot WAIT to hear all about it!!!! Not too much longer now!!!!
Hi ya :wave: Karen. I cannot wait to go & experience it all. I just know I am going to see so many amazing things. I am counting down the days, hours & minutes until we leave.
I can't wait for you to go! The Adventures by Disney seems amazing! I'm soo jealous! I'm totally in! popcorn::
ABD does seem great. I have read some of the trip reports from several of the trips & they seem almost unreal (Knights & Lights & Ireland are 2 different trips I have read about that seem just magical). Thanks for joining in.

I'll have a new post tomorrow so stay tuned.............

Hi Melanie! :wave2:

Sorry I'm late. Glad you linked your PTR to your signature because that's how I found you! :goodvibes
I've enjoyed reading your other TRs so I'm very much looking forward to this one because its the #1 ABD trip that I would like to do.

Continue please! :flower3:

Hi Melanie! :wave2:

Sorry I'm late. Glad you linked your PTR to your signature because that's how I found you! :goodvibes
I've enjoyed reading your other TRs so I'm very much looking forward to this one because its the #1 ABD trip that I would like to do.

Continue please! :flower3:

HI Jennifer........nice to have a friend along.:goodvibes

I didn't get a post in today because we have a few things going on...
Look for a post tomorrow....Because................
The Plans they are a changin'..........not that will impact ABD but still changin' none the less.:sad2:

I'm in! My subscription has been checked. This will be a great pre-trip and trip report! Looking forward to it. :thumbsup2

P.S. Love the costume win!

I'm in! My subscription has been checked. This will be a great pre-trip and trip report! Looking forward to it. :thumbsup2

P.S. Love the costume win!

Glad you are here. I know how much you enjoyed your trip & I cannot wait to share mine.:goodvibes
Thanks about the costumes.........we had so much fun being Mary & Bert. Sigh.........I wish I was going somewhere cool to be Mary this Friday night for Halloween, but not sure anything could top last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter