An Adventure into Walt's Wonderful World-a pre-trip report New 12/17

HI Jennifer........nice to have a friend along.:goodvibes

I didn't get a post in today because we have a few things going on...
Look for a post tomorrow....Because................
The Plans they are a changin'..........not that will impact ABD but still changin' none the less.:sad2:

Oh no! I hope the change in plans is for the better! Here is some pixie dust for you! :wizard: pixiedust:

So yesterday morning, my DH sent me an email asking me what time we needed to check in on Tues Dec the 9th in order not to miss anything for the ABD trip. :scared1:.:faint: :scared: I immediately knew something was wrong. So over lunch yesterday, we discussed that we might need to alter the trip a bit because of a computer conversion that is going on at his work. I’m not going to bore you with the gory details, but if we cut out the San Diego portion of the trip & do not fly out until Monday afternoon, then he will feel better about tying up any loose ends over the weekend & on Monday. So, this will make it easier for him to enjoy the trip & not think about work. Now since this is a trip of a lifetime, I certainly don’t want him distracted & grumpy because that would really hamper my being able to enjoy all these once in a lifetime experiences, so even though I really didn’t want to ditch San Diego it is the best decision. I was most disappointed that we were going to miss out on the things we were going to see on the drive from San Diego (where I have been before) to Hollywood. BUT after some thought, my wonderful DH who had originally been thinking of flying out Tuesday morning when the ABD begins that afternoon, thought it might be better to fly out Monday night & then we could rent a car & see a few of the things we really wanted to see that morning before the tour starts. Great idea!!!!!! I knew I married him for a reason.:love2:

So this morning he called & changed our flight out to Monday afternoon. I cancelled the rental car that we had booked for San Diego. I also called Adventures by Disney to see if we can add on the night before the trip through them at the Renaissance Hollywood which would mean they would pick us up from the airport Monday night & also that we would get to say in the same room for the entire time there. They will have to check on the availability & will call me back, but she sounded pretty confident that we could do this. If not, I will just book a room at the Renaissance on-line & then figure out a way to get us from LAX to the hotel. Hopefully, we will hear from them today or tomorrow, but she said it could take up to a week for them to get back to me. I also reserved us a car from Hertz that has a desk right in the hotel for Tuesday.

So even though the plans they are a changin’ I am still a happy girl that is going to have the trip of a lifetime.

Here are the new plans……..with ideas for free time added in.

Monday Dec 8TH
Fly out of Knoxville 5:05pm
Change planes in Atlanta
Arrive LAX 8:49pm
Check in Renaissance Hollywood Hotel
023531_EXT_01_J.jpg

Perhaps have a cocktail in the lounge
Crash

Tuesday Dec 9TH
Room service breakfast?
Pick up rental car
Drive to Glendale to visit Walt’s grave-maybe this seems weird but I really want to pay my respects to the man who brought us so much happiness
ContentEntranceGatesInformationBooth1.jpg

Griffith Park-1)See Carousel because this is the carousel that inspired Walt to start dreaming about Disneyland when he used to take his daughters there on the weekends
carousel.jpg

2)See Walt’s barn (exteriors) & Ollie’s Johnston’s Depot in case we don’t get to on our ABD tour & these are only open on one Sunday a month but we can at least see the buildings just in case.

Lunch ? Not sure where yet…would love to do Pink’s or In & Out Burger but neither are close to Griffith Park. I have started a thread for suggestions of where to eat close by.

3) See Griffith Park observatory for the planetarium show at 12:45
Drive back to hotel catching any cool sights along the way
Backstage Magic tour begins
Welcome dinner

Wed Dec 10th
El Capitan
elcap2_headerPic.gif

Jimmy Kimmel Live
Jim Henson Studios
events_im_1.jpg

Rest of the day on our own-?tour of Graumann’s, Hollywood Walk of Fame to find stars
CapitolRecords(far)3(small).JPG

Dinner at Johnny Rockets or California Pizza Kitchen at Hollywood & Highland Center

Thurs Dec 11th
Walt Disney Imagineering
Walt Disney Studios
DisneyStudios(small).JPG

Check in Grand Californian
gc2.jpg

Welcome Dinner at Hook’s Point
Evening in Disneyland

Friday Dec 12th
VIP tour of Disneyland
Afternoon/evening on our own
Dinner at Carnation Café?
Fantasmic
fant2.jpg

Saturday Dec 13th
VIP tour of California Adventure
Lunch at Pacific Wharf for soup?
Afternoon in Cali Adv
Farewell dinner
Fireworks
believe1.jpg

Sunday Dec 14th
Farewell breakfast-End of Backstage Magic tour
Walk in Walt’s footsteps tour
P0010.JPG

Afernoon in Cali Adv
Pixar Play Parade
Dinner at Steakhouse 55 6:30pm
?Fireworks from GC/Lounge

Monday Dec 15th
Magic Kingdom
Lunch at Blue Bayou 11:30am
44827906-177x150-0-0.jpg

Back to hotel for rest & pack
DTD to shop
Final evening in MK to soak up the atmosphere

Tuesday Dec 16th
Early to rise……..7:15am flight out of LAX for home :sad2:

****Note none of these photos are mine. They have been borrowed off various web sites*****
Next up.........what do I have left to do?

Oh no! I hope the change in plans is for the better! Here is some pixie dust for you! :wizard: pixiedust:

I just posted about the changes Jennifer. It will still be great...just no San Diego. Oh well, just another reason to head back to California.

I just posted about the changes Jennifer. It will still be great...just no San Diego. Oh well, just another reason to head back to California.

Well those changes aren't so bad. The bulk of your more important sites are still there so that's a major plus! :goodvibes :thumbsup2

Tuesday Dec 9TH
Room service breakfast?
Pick up rental car
Drive to Glendale to visit Walt’s grave-maybe this seems weird but I really want to pay my respects to the man who brought us so much happiness
ContentEntranceGatesInformationBooth1.jpg

Griffith Park-1)See Carousel because this is the carousel that inspired Walt to start dreaming about Disneyland when he used to take his daughters there on the weekends
carousel.jpg

2)See Walt’s barn (exteriors) & Ollie’s Johnston’s Depot in case we don’t get to on our ABD tour & these are only open on one Sunday a month but we can at least see the buildings just in case.

where are walt's barn & ollie's depot?

Lunch ? Not sure where yet…would love to do Pink’s or In & Out Burger but neither are close to Griffith Park. I have started a thread for suggestions of where to eat close by.

3) See Griffith Park observatory for the planetarium show at 12:45
Drive back to hotel catching any cool sights along the way

you could always stop by pink's or in-n-out in hollywood before returning your rental that night

Wed Dec 10th
Dinner at Johnny Rockets or California Pizza Kitchen at Hollywood & Highland Center

also, if you like cream puffs, try beard papa's. i heard on yellowponchos mention there's one at the center. i've never tried that location but have had it at other locations. they fill the puff after you order so the puff isn't soggy. taaaaasty!
Friday Dec 12th
VIP tour of Disneyland
Afternoon/evening on our own
Dinner at Carnation Café?
i don't believe that carnation cafe serves dinner. maybe, you can have it for lunch on another day. i can't wait to try the loaded potato soup for my first time about a week before your visit.

also, have you read hyroguy's stickies? he has a lot of FANTASTIC info for visitors there. it's a piece of cake to park hop at dlr compared to wdw. Staying at gch will also make it easy to rest, change or whatever when needed.

Your plan sound so fun, even if you & your hubby needed to cancel SD. It's best to have a nice, happy, hubby with you on the trip. :cutie: Plus, like Disneygrl36 said, it's another reason to go back to CA.

Well those changes aren't so bad. The bulk of your more important sites are still there so that's a major plus! :goodvibes :thumbsup2
I know I am so glad that things will still work out ok. I was just wanting to show him around San Diego because it's a beautiful city. Next time.

where are walt's barn & ollie's depot?

In Griffith park, where the railroad is

you could always stop by pink's or in-n-out in hollywood before returning your rental that night

This is true. We are going to return the rental car after we are finished sight seeing & our adventure starts between 4 & 5pm, so maybe an afternoon snack.

also, if you like cream puffs, try beard papa's. i heard on yellowponchos mention there's one at the center. i've never tried that location but have had it at other locations. they fill the puff after you order so the puff isn't soggy. taaaaasty!
That sounds yummy!!!! I'll make a note of it.
i don't believe that carnation cafe serves dinner. maybe, you can have it for lunch on another day. i can't wait to try the loaded potato soup for my first time about a week before your visit.
Hmmm guess I better come up with a different plan for that. I wanted the baked potato soup.
also, have you read hyroguy's stickies? he has a lot of FANTASTIC info for visitors there. it's a piece of cake to park hop at dlr compared to wdw. Staying at gch will also make it easy to rest, change or whatever when needed.

Your plan sound so fun, even if you & your hubby needed to cancel SD. It's best to have a nice, happy, hubby with you on the trip. :cutie: Plus, like Disneygrl36 said, it's another reason to go back to CA.
Yes, so true. I want him to have fun too.

Adventures by Disney just called & they were able to confirm our pre tour stay. :cool1: :cool1: :banana: :cool1: :cool1:
So now it's all set & they will pick us up at the airport. We also won't have to change rooms at the Renaissance. Yippee.
Now can I go yet??????????

Quick note that Carnation Cafe does serve dinner. I've eaten dinner there 4 times since June.

Too bad about missing San Diego, but that does give you an excuse to back and we all know that San Diego isn't far from Disneyland.:rolleyes1

I am loving this so far!!!! It's going to be a great trip!

I have been on that carousel in Griffith Park so many times, I've lost count. My step-dad used to take me and my brother there on Sundays growing up. Ahem......I never knew that was the one that inspired Walt. :rolleyes1 I know, I know!!! I'm not worthy of the DIS boards. :rotfl:

I do have a suggestion for you though! While in Glendale grab lunch at Porto's Bakery. Their meat pies and potato balls are to die for! http://www.portosbakery.com/
They are on Brand, and in fact there is an In-n-Out not far from them either, so you can get the meat pies and some of their wonderful desserts to go, and then actually eat at In-n-Out.

These are some desserts from Portos. (They are from my June TR, but I'll take them down if you want me to.)

DSCF4869.jpg

And the pies:
DSCF4875.jpg

If you went from Forest Lawn to Portos it's about 2.5 miles and then from Portos to In-n-Out another half mile. http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Gle...ngeles+County/m:::::0:::::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e

Also, just my two cents, but I think CPK is much better then Johnny Rockets. The Santa Fe pizza is really good.

Can't wait to read more!!! popcorn::

OH MY GOODNESS!

I'm so excited. Thank goodness for Beth's TR so I got the news... Beth is good that way. LOL

I'm totally looking forward to this TR. Yea Melanie!

Thank you for posting all of your fun history... that really makes it so personal and I love all the details.

I'm excited about alot of things you'll be doing but especially the El Capitan part. Even though I'm a So Cal native, I had never heard of this thing until the dis and am now very intrigued. :surfweb:

Bring it on!

popcorn::

P.S. Will there be more celebrity photo's???? ;)

Quick note that Carnation Cafe does serve dinner. I've eaten dinner there 4 times since June.

Too bad about missing San Diego, but that does give you an excuse to back and we all know that San Diego isn't far from Disneyland.:rolleyes1
I am so glad I will get to have my potato soup after all. :cool1:
Yes, and you know I will figure out a way to get that in there. Hmmmm when will the newly renovated DCA be finished....will have to plan trip to Cali then so we can go back & see the new & improved DCA. Oh how evil our Disney minds are. :lmao:

I am loving this so far!!!! It's going to be a great trip!

I have been on that carousel in Griffith Park so many times, I've lost count. My step-dad used to take me and my brother there on Sundays growing up. Ahem......I never knew that was the one that inspired Walt. :rolleyes1 I know, I know!!! I'm not worthy of the DIS boards. :rotfl:

I do have a suggestion for you though! While in Glendale grab lunch at Porto's Bakery. Their meat pies and potato balls are to die for!
Also, just my two cents, but I think CPK is much better then Johnny Rockets. The Santa Fe pizza is really good.

Can't wait to read more!!! popcorn::

Yeah Beth. :welcome: Glad to see you here & thanks for the shout out on your trippie. :goodvibes How awesome is it that you went to the same carousel that Walt took his daughters too & you have memories of it from growing up.:cloud9: I am sure some people would look at the things I want to do that morning before the tour starts & go :confused3 but my DIS board friends understand that love of Disney that drives us to want to seek out the places that meant something to Walt & formed the basis of the Disneyland & WDW that we know & love so well today.
Thanks for the suggestion on Porto's. That looks really yummy. I think that will become our lunch spot for sure. As long as I can call the meat pies something else...I posted this on MA piglet's trippie, but I will say that hearing meat pies just makes me think of Sweeney Todd a little too much :scared1:.
I really want to try the California Pizza Kitchen as well, so you have helped me with that decision as well. :thumbsup2

OH MY GOODNESS!

I'm so excited. Thank goodness for Beth's TR so I got the news... Beth is good that way. LOL

I'm totally looking forward to this TR. Yea Melanie!

Thank you for posting all of your fun history... that really makes it so personal and I love all the details.

I'm excited about alot of things you'll be doing but especially the El Capitan part. Even though I'm a So Cal native, I had never heard of this thing until the dis and am now very intrigued. :surfweb:

Bring it on!

popcorn::

P.S. Will there be more celebrity photo's???? ;)

Melissa........:welcome: So glad to have you here!
I think reading about a persons Disney history really adds to the trip & it was fun for me to go back & think about all those things that really make Disney special to me.

I am excited to see the El Capitan too. I have heard that Disney has done an outstanding job with the refurbishment. Bolt will be showing there while we are there & if we aren't too tired we might do that for our evening entertainment on Wed night.

Not sure about the celebrity photo's........depends on if we stumble upon any. I have heard that celebs go to DL all the time. I will keep my eyes peeled. And don't think I didn't try to figure out a way to get to Malibu to see where my Rick lives. :rotfl:

Adventures by Disney just called & they were able to confirm our pre tour stay. :cool1: :cool1: :banana: :cool1: :cool1:
So now it's all set & they will pick us up at the airport. We also won't have to change rooms at the Renaissance. Yippee.
Now can I go yet??????????

Great news! :woohoo: :figment:

You can go if I can go to WDW :laughing: Lets move time up!

The El Capitan is a lot of fun. It's just a fun experience. When my life calms down and all deadlines are met, I'll get to writing about the El Capitan and both my experiences there. (I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to see Sleeping Beauty twice on the big screen since I was that close and I don't know if it will be shown on the big screen again and if I'd be able to go if it ever is).

subscribing. I would love to do an Adventures By Disney trip. They look amazing.

Melissa........:welcome: So glad to have you here!
I think reading about a persons Disney history really adds to the trip & it was fun for me to go back & think about all those things that really make Disney special to me.

I am excited to see the El Capitan too. I have heard that Disney has done an outstanding job with the refurbishment. Bolt will be showing there while we are there & if we aren't too tired we might do that for our evening entertainment on Wed night.

Not sure about the celebrity photo's........depends on if we stumble upon any. I have heard that celebs go to DL all the time. I will keep my eyes peeled. And don't think I didn't try to figure out a way to get to Malibu to see where my Rick lives. :rotfl:

:rotfl:

When I looked up the El Capitan on Youtube it showed a whole disney production number that was done on stage before the movie.. do they always do that? it was REALLY cool!

I see you linked your siggie... woo hoo!

Sleepless
Looking forward to hearing about it! :goodvibes

Great news! :woohoo: :figment:

You can go if I can go to WDW :laughing: Lets move time up!
Well, we can speed it up now if we can slow it down once the time for the trip comes. Right?

The El Capitan is a lot of fun. It's just a fun experience. When my life calms down and all deadlines are met, I'll get to writing about the El Capitan and both my experiences there. (I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to see Sleeping Beauty twice on the big screen since I was that close and I don't know if it will be shown on the big screen again and if I'd be able to go if it ever is).
That was so perfect for you to be able to see your favorite movie back on the big screen. I am looking forward to the trip report when you get time to do it.

subscribing. I would love to do an Adventures By Disney trip. They look amazing.
:welcome: Mike. They do look amazing. I drool over the book alot. I just cannot wait for this one of a kind Disney experience.

:rotfl:

When I looked up the El Capitan on Youtube it showed a whole disney production number that was done on stage before the movie.. do they always do that? it was REALLY cool!

I see you linked your siggie... woo hoo!
I have no idea but that would be really cool if they do. Yes, I linked my trip from last year, I follow instructions well. :rotfl:

New post coming right up............

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hlwn-mic-min01.gif

Well, my next post was supposed to be about what I have left to do for the trip..........but instead, I decided to introduce you to our new traveling companion for this trip. Remember Sorcerer Mickey & Pirate Mickey that came along before, well I knew we needed a new companion for photo ops on this trip & it needed to fit the spirit of the trip......so here they are without further ado....
Walt Disney & Mickey Mouse.....because "Let's not lose sight of one thing, that it all started with a mouse."
100_4359.jpg

That is them in front of my spooky Disney Halloween house.
Here's a closer picture....
100_4341.jpg

I think they are just perfect for this trip.

Now lest we forget someone who has also made multiple visits on my previous trip reports............Mr/Ms Potato Head depending on the day & the costume. I hope to bring back some new parts from our trip.
She wants to say she's ready for Halloween too.
100_4351.jpg

Here are my pumpkins.....
2 are fake plug ins & I carved the other two on Wednesday.
100_4356.jpg

A close up of each.....
One in honor of Pirates pirate:
100_4354.jpg

One in honor of :mickey: Excuse the lopsided Mickey heads, but I did them free hand.
100_4355.jpg

We watched Sleepy Hollow (the Johnny Depp version) last night to get us in the Halloween mood...that is kind of our Halloween movie tradition. I am off to watch Nightmare Before Christmas in a bit to help get me in the mood further.
We won't be home tonight to light the pumpkins or hand out candy. That's the thing about having a Halloween birthday. We are rarely home for Halloween.
We will go to see our neice & nephew dressed up before heading out for a nice birthday dinner made extra nice by the fact that a friend from high school & her hubby are in town & they are meeting us for dinner. :goodvibes

Everyone have a Spooky day.

Ok, so I have been wanting to find a couple of things to wear that are in the spirit of the trip.

I am currently bidding on this shirt on ebay to wear the day of the Jim Henson studio tour.....do you guys think it is too busy/ugly?
c16f_1.JPG

I also want something for the trip that will be a reminder of visiting this special place, but don't think there is a shop there or anything.
So I am bidding on this on ebay as well. I thought I could add a banner to the back tire that says Jim Henson Studio Visit Dec 2008.
10b2_1.JPG

And I've ordered this shirt to wear at the Magic Kingdom because I really want to try to get a picture with Julie Andrews horse on the carousel.
practically_perfect_shirt-p235097575492091178uayo_525.jpg
I'm hoping that I can go to the carousel when we are in the MK early for our backstage tour because I am afraid it will be too hard to find it & get a picture once the park is open. I am going to ask the guides about it. Keep your fingers crossed for some pixiedust: for me for this wish.

Hello, hello!!

Love the Halloween house and all your Disney characters!

Cute pumpkins!! :thumbsup2

That Muppet tee is way cool. Not too busy at all!! I hope you get it. :wizard:

And last but not least..........

Halloween-Minnie-Mouse.gif

AND

COLORFULMICKEY.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter