Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Canadians, do you have a Canadian twist on making s’mores? Maybe putting maple syrup on it?

Also, congratulations on the win tonight. 😁 ⚽🇨🇦:duck:

Canadians, do you mind being called a Canuck?

Americans, do you mind being called a Yank?
Nope. Canuck is just fine.
https://www.freshdaily.ca/news/2020/09/why-canadians-are-called-canucks/
images

Nope. Canuck is just fine.

images
Cool. This would make a great TIFO if both our national teams make the championship in June. The USA could do a Captain America one, while Canadians do that one. May the best team win. I can’t wait for the Las Vegas final. Sorry for the small soccer post. I’m just really excited for both our nations tonight. :jumping1:

Canadians, do you have a Canadian twist on making s’mores? Maybe putting maple syrup on it?

Also, congratulations on the win tonight. 😁 ⚽🇨🇦:duck:
No we don’t put Maple syrup on s’mores. We camp a lot. Just graham cracker, chocolate and roasted marshmallow.

Our Maple syrup festival is this weekend .

I thought Yank only referred to "Northerners" in the Civil War era?
No, it was originally what the British called all colonialists during the 18th century and still to this day.

We still use it amongst ourselves to this day in a friendly manner for the most part in modern times.

Yank was also used during the CW as you have said as well.

The British made the song to make fun of us but we turned it into a mocking tune to humiliate them after we started to win the American Revolution.

Last edited:
No, it was originally what the British called all colonialists during the 18th century and still to this day.

We still use it amongst ourselves to this day in a friendly manner for the most part in modern times.
Thank you for reminding me of that song! I totally forgot about it and now it makes sense.

totally off topic

There’s an ad in this thread that is totally fake news and says the word pissed. So, today I learned pissed is not a banned word lol

Here it means angry or drunk.
It means the same in Canada. I think @prairie_girl was simply commenting on the fact that a lot of site have the word banned, but apparently Disboards does not.

(Also, is there something wrong with my eyes??? Why is everything bolded now??? It feels like EVERYTHING IS IMPORTANT now when I read here.)

It means the same in Canada. I think @prairie_girl was simply commenting on the fact that a lot of site have the word banned, but apparently Disboards does not.

(Also, is there something wrong with my eyes??? Why is everything bolded now??? It feels like EVERYTHING IS IMPORTANT now when I read here.)
What’s bolded?

Here it means angry or drunk.

I'm familiar with the word. I'm its #1 fan LOL

Like @Frozen Canuck said, I'm more surprised that it's allowed here. I consider it a swear and I'm sure most would agree it's not a word that should be said by a young child. But considering that Dick Van Dyke was blocked here until a few years ago, who knows why such decisions are made.

I'm familiar with the word. I'm its #1 fan LOL

Like @Frozen Canuck said, I'm more surprised that it's allowed here. I consider it a swear and I'm sure most would agree it's not a word that should be said by a young child. But considering that Dick Van Dyke was blocked here until a few years ago, who knows why such decisions are made.
I’ve never heard it as a bad word. Only as a general adjective. I don’t know how many in the USA think it’s a curse word. It’s not where I live. 🤷‍♂️

What’s bolded?
On my desktop, every comment is bolded. It is like I am reading a beginning reader book. No other sites are like that, only the Disboards. It never used to be like that.

I would consider the word we are discussing a "bad word." I wouldn't care if anybody said it. I hear it tossed around all of the time. I just would not consider it a "general adjective" or something I would use around children.

On my desktop, every comment is bolded. It is like I am reading a beginning reader book. No other sites are like that, only the Disboards. It never used to be like that.

I would consider the word we are discussing a "bad word." I wouldn't care if anybody said it. I hear it tossed around all of the time. I just would not consider it a "general adjective" or something I would use around children.
Yup. All fonts are now bold in DIS. Started Monday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter