Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

The four people that have confirmed and paid their deposits are you, @ronandannette, @prairie_girl and me. I'm pretty sure @SirDuff will be there. Not sure about anybody else. The tour bus is filling up! To anyone who is on the fence about joining us, be sure to send in your deposit soon!!!
:scratchin The what-now?!? Pretty sure the brochure you sent me showed something more along these lines:
IMG_0042-2-e1564506008648.jpg

Okay, Buzz’s question of the day. Canadians, do you think you would be very different personality wise or think differently today if you were raised in America vs how you were raised in Canada?

Okay, Buzz’s question of the day. Canadians, do you think you would be very different personality wise or think differently today if you were raised in America vs how you were raised in Canada?
That would depend entirely upon what area of the US you were raised in. As a general statement, I would say, "Yes," but I don't know what I'm basing that on in particular without over-generalizing.

Who can be sure?

But I do think there is more of a mentality of 'winners & losers' - sorry that I can't find a more compassionate way of saying it - in the States, than here. Whether that would infiltrate my ways & personality, who knows.

When I was knee deep in discussions about guns & gun laws I used to often use the talking point that our youth would be just as prone to gun violence as yours, if they had access. There is no difference .

However I did find a study, that never got fully completed unfortunately, that did show differences in our youth. I was both surprised and spellbound.

That would depend entirely upon what area of the US you were raised in. As a general statement, I would say, "Yes," but I don't know what I'm basing that on in particular without over-generalizing.
I honestly was thinking, wherever the nearest state would be in relation to where you were raised in Canada.

Who can be sure?

But I do think there is more of a mentality of 'winners & losers' - sorry that I can't find a more compassionate way of saying it - in the States, than here. Whether that would infiltrate my ways & personality, who knows.

If you’re not first, you’re last

Barney helps Robin being American (HIMYM)

USA Barney vs Canadian Barney

Just for the record, this is meant in jest. That confidence/arrogance comes from the belief that the USA has dominated since WW2. It’s why it’s still in our culture now, given how well the USA does in the Summer and Winter Olympics, and the great results in the World Cup. I’m not saying it’s right but that’s where that mentality partly stems from. I can say that I would probably be a more quiet person and have less of a “loud” personality if I was raised in Canada (I mean this as a complement).

Last edited:
PLEASE STOP WITH ALL THE VIDEOS. As has been said (many times), it really slows down use of the thread.
Fixed. I still don’t get how it slows it down though. All the devices I use don’t seem to have an issue with them. 🤷‍♂️

I honestly was thinking, wherever the nearest state would be in relation to where you were raised in Canada.
Well, that would only be the northern states then, or Alaska, which doesn't really take into account the diversity of the US.

I do have experience with this, but there is no way to answer in regards to "personality." Our family is Canadian. We moved to the US on my oldest son's first birthday, so he was essentially raised in the US and raised in four different states/geographic areas. How did it affect his personality? I have NO IDEA. This is not an answerable question. I do feel like we have passed on our Canadian ideals on to our children, relatively speaking. I think they have adapted their lives to include pieces of both cultures. That still doesn't speak to their personality though.

Well, that would only be the northern states then, or Alaska, which doesn't really take into account the diversity of the US.

I do have experience with this, but there is no way to answer in regards to "personality." Our family is Canadian. We moved to the US on my oldest son's first birthday, so he was essentially raised in the US and raised in four different states/geographic areas. How did it affect his personality? I have NO IDEA. This is not an answerable question. I do feel like we have passed on our Canadian ideals on to our children, relatively speaking. I think they have adapted their lives to include pieces of both cultures. That still doesn't speak to their personality though.
Well, an example might be attitude towards sports maybe? What things they like that maybe aren’t as popular in Canada? Personality can also be influenced by local cultures, so I don’t know if you have seen differences that way compared to the area you grew up in Canada?

Canadians, if you want to say that you're feeling alone, are you more likely to describe yourself as "lonely" or "lonesome"?

I was listening to The Replacements' song "I'll Be You," and there's a lyric:
Lonely, I guess that's where I'm from
If I was from Canada
Then I'd best be called lonesome

And I remembered, I have a forum where I can ask actual Canadians if this is actually true. :D

:scratchin Then there’s the whole aspect of how drastically both our counties have changed over the years (for both better and worse)...what would we have been like if raised in late 20th century America, which is when we were actually children? It’s almost impossible not to conflate our thoughts and feelings about the current state of things with what the influences of those times would really have been.

Canadians, if you want to say that you're feeling alone, are you more likely to describe yourself as "lonely" or "lonesome"?

I was listening to The Replacements' song "I'll Be You," and there's a lyric:
Lonely, I guess that's where I'm from
If I was from Canada
Then I'd best be called lonesome

And I remembered, I have a forum where I can ask actual Canadians if this is actually true. :D

I would say I’m lonely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter