Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

As an American - my only reference for Yankee is a Baseball Team from New York -
I am aware of other "old-timey" uses - but none of them apply in my day to day language ...
So perhaps, its my mid-westerner upbringing ...

I'm familiar with the word. I'm its #1 fan LOL

Like @Frozen Canuck said, I'm more surprised that it's allowed here. I consider it a swear and I'm sure most would agree it's not a word that should be said by a young child. But considering that Dick Van Dyke was blocked here until a few years ago, who knows why such decisions are made.
So was the word cranston, which I tried to post once when referring to the actor Bryan Cranston who played the dad in the funniest show in the history of TV - Malcolm in the Middle.

It took me one heck of a long time googling trying to find out why on earth that word would be banned. :blush: I'm still teetering between thinking it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard and being mortified with embarrassment.

So was the word cranston, which I tried to post once when referring to the actor Bryan Cranston who played the dad in the funniest show in the history of TV - Malcolm in the Middle.

It took me one heck of a long time googling trying to find out why on earth that word would be banned. :blush: I'm still teetering between thinking it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard and being mortified with embarrassment.

Ok, fiiiiiiine, I’ll go Google it

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

To people outside the US, all people from the US are Yankees.
To people in the Southern US, only people from the Northeastern states are Yankees.
To people in the Mid-Atlantic states, only New Englanders are Yankees.
As a NYer, I consider myself a Yankee.

No we don’t put Maple syrup on s’mores. We camp a lot. Just graham cracker, chocolate and roasted marshmallow.

Our Maple syrup festival is this weekend .

Just kind of random, but I was at a well known discount store around here and found this label:

GUEST_124849ac-a78e-49a6-83d5-c079ee5f33ff

Seems like sacrilege to me.

Just kind of random, but I was at a well known discount store around here and found this label:

GUEST_124849ac-a78e-49a6-83d5-c079ee5f33ff

Seems like sacrilege to me.
:confused: Why? It's likely the bottler buys syrup from many sources and combines it. In Canada, with our infuriatingly lax food labeling laws, if it was labeled for source-of-origin at all (not required) it would say something along the lines of "processed in the USA from domestic and imported ingredients".

:confused: Why? It's likely the bottler buys syrup from many sources and combines it. In Canada, with our infuriatingly lax food labeling laws, if it was labeled for source-of-origin at all (not required) it would say something along the lines of "processed in the USA from domestic and imported ingredients".

Who knows really. I know that in Quebec the vast majority of maple syrup is commodity grade going through cooperatives and then stored/mixed like it's a commodity.

However, a lot of US-origin maple syrup has a lot of extremely specific labelling about the exact origin.

16_zoom_1445379931.jpg

I would think the Target maple syrup may be more or less single origin, but where they might come from different areas based on price/availability.

On my desktop, every comment is bolded. It is like I am reading a beginning reader book. No other sites are like that, only the Disboards. It never used to be like that.

I would consider the word we are discussing a "bad word." I wouldn't care if anybody said it. I hear it tossed around all of the time. I just would not consider it a "general adjective" or something I would use around children.

From a thread in the tech support board...

Another poster just told me to click the X on the yellow banner at top of page and then refresh the page and bold will disappear.
It worked for me!.

I tried and it worked (at least for now).

Go into your local grocery store and look at their store brand and it probably says the same thing. Or your local Wal-Mart. The days when Target was anything other than a slightly upscale grocery store have long since passed. Personally, if I'm taking the sugar hit, I'm going for the good stuff but I also only buy that from my ancestral homeland, preferably from my current reservation.

@SirDuff - I tried the thing you posted and it worked. Thanks for mentioning it here because it didn’t occur to me to look back on the Tech board for a DIY fix. I just assumed “they” would fix it if it was fixable.

Also, Canadians put up your hand if you had any clue that maple syrup comes from Wisconsin!?!

It worked for me, it was the first banner under forums etc. said Walt Disney something it is gone now for me and no more bold.
I saw a screenshot on the tech board and I don't have that on my screen at all. Maybe hidden by my ad blocker?

@SirDuff - I tried the thing you posted and it worked. Thanks for mentioning it here because it didn’t occur to me to look back on the Tech board for a DIY fix. I just assumed “they” would fix it if it was fixable.

Also, Canadians put up your hand if you had any clue that maple syrup comes from Wisconsin!?!
Pretty much anywhere there were First Nations, freezing temperatures and maple trees you'll find maple syrup. My reservation is on the shores of Lake Superior and we've been making it since before contact with europeans.

I tried and it worked (at least for now).

It worked!

Of course now I need to go and find my glasses again!

I also never thought to go to the tech board. I just assumed that my eye-doctor had gotten in touch with the DIS Admin and told them that my eyes are getting old but I hated wearing my glasses. Now, let's say that I wanted that bolding back...ha ha!!!

Maple syrup can come from any maple tree. I've heard of maple syrup coming from Vancouver, although it's more a hobbyist thing since they come from low yield varieties like bigleaf maple.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8679887/this-is-bc-maple-syrup-vancouver-island/

I never really thought of Wisconsin having maple syrup until 2021. I remember my kid's school district had food boxes for families with children. It wasn't means tested and there were long lines. I suspect many didn't actually have children in school and/or were asking for more than they were entitled (like seeing some vehicle pack 10 boxes). One week we had a bottle of Wisconsin maple syrup.

The thing that terrifies Quebec maple syrup producers is New York. They've got more sugar maples that any other state or province, but right now there's just small-time artisan production.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter