Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Watergate Salad was on the list...way down in the W's.
my bad didn't see that. Have you tried it?

Honestly don't care about a Canadian vs American thing, just wondered. It originated in the midwest but it's def. an acquired taste IMO. I think texture gets to people partially on this one. But it's something I grew up on and my aunt makes it the best.

So, I'm coming "home" in the near future. Anything new and exciting in the grocery stores that I need to check out? Any special flavours or treats for Canada Day this year? My son has never had Chapman's Ice Cream or Clearly Canadian, so those are on our list for him to try. I obviously know about All-Dressed Chips, Ketchup Chips, Hickory Sticks, Cheezies, Flake and Crunchie bars, etc. I'm wondering if there is anything new and exciting out that I should try. One of the last times we were back, we saw so many unique potato chip varieties in the World of Flavours (President's Choice) line and also ones like steak??? or cheeseburger??? (I don't recall now), but didn't pick up any, as we weren't sure which ones were good. Superstore (Saskatchewan) is where I usually get to browse the most, but we will have a vehicle, so if there are other stores I should hit up, I'm open to suggestions. The US may have more Pop Tart flavours, but Canada has the best snacks by far.

More specifically (for a very limited audience, I'm sure, but maybe someone has visited recently) I am also looking for restaurant suggestions, if you know of any we must try, including dishes to order, for MJ, Stoon, and PA. I'm sure a lot has changed (or maybe it hasn't??? Ha!) in the last three years. We hit a couple of good places in Saskatoon the last time (Cathedral Social Hall was pretty good), but the other cities were very limited.

And for my final request, any shops or other locations in Saskatoon that are worth a gander if we have some time to kill? (I'm familiar with the museums, Forestry Farm, etc.) The last time we hit up the Berry Barn and also Puzzle Master. Loved Puzzle Master and we spent a lot of time there!

Welcome home!

So, I'm coming "home" in the near future. Anything new and exciting in the grocery stores that I need to check out? Any special flavours or treats for Canada Day this year? My son has never had Chapman's Ice Cream or Clearly Canadian, so those are on our list for him to try. I obviously know about All-Dressed Chips, Ketchup Chips, Hickory Sticks, Cheezies, Flake and Crunchie bars, etc. I'm wondering if there is anything new and exciting out that I should try. One of the last times we were back, we saw so many unique potato chip varieties in the World of Flavours (President's Choice) line and also ones like steak??? or cheeseburger??? (I don't recall now), but didn't pick up any, as we weren't sure which ones were good. Superstore (Saskatchewan) is where I usually get to browse the most, but we will have a vehicle, so if there are other stores I should hit up, I'm open to suggestions. The US may have more Pop Tart flavours, but Canada has the best snacks by far.

More specifically (for a very limited audience, I'm sure, but maybe someone has visited recently) I am also looking for restaurant suggestions, if you know of any we must try, including dishes to order, for MJ, Stoon, and PA. I'm sure a lot has changed (or maybe it hasn't??? Ha!) in the last three years. We hit a couple of good places in Saskatoon the last time (Cathedral Social Hall was pretty good), but the other cities were very limited.

And for my final request, any shops or other locations in Saskatoon that are worth a gander if we have some time to kill? (I'm familiar with the museums, Forestry Farm, etc.) The last time we hit up the Berry Barn and also Puzzle Master. Loved Puzzle Master and we spent a lot of time there!

Well, if he has never had Chapman's ice cream, then you HAVE to get him Chapman's Heavenly Hash Ice Cream!

Personally, I prefer Breyer's because that's what I grew up with but any HH ice cream is good ice cream in my books. :)

Looks a lot like Ambrosia
It is similar in the style of both and ambrosia is good too but they are different.

Pistachio salad has pistachio pudding mix in it, has no oranges and frequently does not have cherries mixed in (I've never had one that did) and doesn't usually have coconut in it although some people do mix it in and no sour cream

Flavor-wise they are quite different.

Welcome home!
Thanks! I really wish I was coming home to stay, but unfortunately, money bags haven't fallen from the sky and landed in my backyard, so it will just be a couple of weeks to take care of some serious family stuff. We are hoping to fit a few fun things in as well. I've been making my shopping list of items to bring back (I need a new mop head for my Atlantic Bee Mop and some icy squares!), as I don't know when I will make it home again anytime soon.

I'm chuckling that your list has doughnut spelled the Canadian way first, instead of donut, the American way. :laughing:

:flower3: Honestly Buzz, nobody wants to give you a rough ride here; this is a nice thread. But sometimes you try a little too hard to set up dichotomies where there just aren't any and the soccer-centric questions cause many of us to yawn and move on.
Thanks! I really wish I was coming home to stay, but unfortunately, money bags haven't fallen from the sky and landed in my backyard, so it will just be a couple of weeks to take care of some serious family stuff. We are hoping to fit a few fun things in as well. I've been making my shopping list of items to bring back (I need a new mop head for my Atlantic Bee Mop and some icy squares!), as I don't know when I will make it home again anytime soon.
You'll want to make the most of your time by finding a box of these for your boy. :goodvibes
1656122152361.png

I'm chuckling that your list has doughnut spelled the Canadian way first, instead of donut, the American way. :laughing:

:flower3: Honestly Buzz, nobody wants to give you a rough ride here; this is a nice thread. But sometimes you try a little too hard to set up dichotomies where there just aren't any and the soccer-centric questions cause many of us to yawn and move on.

You'll want to make the most of your time by finding a box of these for your boy. :goodvibes
View attachment 679094
In the northeast, we spell donuts both ways. I love that my thread brings our two countries closer and is a way to happily share knowledge. I do think you guys will appreciate my soccer updates as we near the World Cup though. Many on this thread don’t know everything about the sport and I’m always here to answer questions. 😁:duck:

In the northeast, we spell donuts both ways. I love that my thread brings our two countries closer and is a way to happily share knowledge. I do think you guys will appreciate my soccer updates as we near the World Cup though. Many on this thread don’t know everything about the sport and I’m always here to answer questions. 😁:duck:
What is "soccer" again?

What is "soccer" again?
Soccer, Association Football, Futbol, Calcio, Fußball, the beautiful game. The oldest sport in the world dating back to Ancient Greece, China, Egypt, and North America (a very early form of it). So to put it shortly, soccer is a way of life and all on earth are invited to participate. 😁 😁⚽🇺🇸🇨🇦🌎

Soccer, Association Football, Futbol, Calcio, Fußball, the beautiful game. The oldest sport in the world dating back to Ancient Greece, China, Egypt, and North America (a very early form of it). So to put it shortly, soccer is a way of life and all on earth are invited to participate. 😁 😁⚽🇺🇸🇨🇦🌎
I was invited to participate in elementary school and I wasn't ready to embrace that way of life at the time. I can't say much has changed these days either, but to each their own of course!

Last edited:
I was invited to participate in elementary school and I wasn't ready to embrace that way of life at the time. I can't say much has changed these days either, but to each their own of course!
WC 2022 might change your mind. If you follow my MLS thread, the latest post has the schedule for this weekend’s games. You could watch a match on TV and see if your take on the sport has changed.

I do think you guys will appreciate my soccer updates as we near the World Cup though. Many on this thread don’t know everything about the sport and I’m always here to answer questions.
You keep on dreaming Buzz! I think you underestimate the amount of "don't care/disinterest" in soccer for a lot of Canadians. We know the sport of soccer exists, we just aren't invested in it and have no desire to know everything about it. Are you being paid by the post to promote world soccer on the Disboards to Canadians? If so, it must be a thankless job.

Imagine a topic that you have absolutely zero interest in knowing anything about but have a basic understanding of, like dryer lint. Now imagine if every day we talked, but all I wanted to talk about was that one thing that you don't want to hear anything about. "Have you checked your dryer lint tray? Did you hear that @prairie girl (sorry!!!) only cleans her lint catcher every two loads? The world dryer lint ball rolling competition is coming up, who are you rooting for? You tell me that you aren't interested in the topic, but I say that you just don't know everything about it, and if you did, then you would LOVE it as much as I, and many others, do. I proceed to regale you with my knowledge of impressive dryer lint information, like did you know that a guy made a picture of the Queen using a stencil and white and dark dryer lint? It's true! (The story no longer comes up on Google, but search dryer lint art and I ensure that you will be duly impressed!) I would then proceed to keep telling you about it. Every day. I know you don't want to hear anything more about it, but I'm excited, so it spills over into our conversation despite the boundary that I know you have set. If only I could find that ONE THING that would totally make you see the light and learn to embrace the wonders of dryer lint! I keep trying. I slide it into conversations where the topic is not even remotely related to dryer lint. You see what I'm trying to do, so you ignore my attempt. I try some more...
What is "soccer" again?
It's that game you play at the fair, where the gophers pop up and you have to bop them on the head until they pop up again. Oh no...wait...
WC 2022 might change your mind. If you follow my MLS thread, the latest post has the schedule for this weekend’s games. You could watch a match on TV and see if your take on the sport has changed.
And here we go...:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter