Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

You'll want to make the most of your time by finding a box of these for your boy. :goodvibes
1656122152361.png
This is totally the item that I have put on my list for him to try first, but now I'm apparently adding the Heavenly Hash flavour (Thanks @Aladora !), which I have not tried (from Chapman's) before. I'm just hoping they are in stock when I get to the store.

You keep on dreaming Buzz! I think you underestimate the amount of "don't care/disinterest" in soccer for a lot of Canadians. We know the sport of soccer exists, we just aren't invested in it and have no desire to know everything about it. Are you being paid by the post to promote world soccer on the Disboards to Canadians? If so, it must be a thankless job.

Imagine a topic that you have absolutely zero interest in knowing anything about but have a basic understanding of, like dryer lint. Now imagine if every day we talked, but all I wanted to talk about was that one thing that you don't want to hear anything about. "Have you checked your dryer lint tray? Did you hear that @prairie girl (sorry!!!) only cleans her lint catcher every two loads? The world dryer lint ball rolling competition is coming up, who are you rooting for? You tell me that you aren't interested in the topic, but I say that you just don't know everything about it, and if you did, then you would LOVE it as much as I, and many others, do. I proceed to regale you with my knowledge of impressive dryer lint information, like did you know that a guy made a picture of the Queen using a stencil and white and dark dryer lint? It's true! (The story no longer comes up on Google, but search dryer lint art and I ensure that you will be duly impressed!) I would then proceed to keep telling you about it. Every day. I know you don't want to hear anything more about it, but I'm excited, so it spills over into our conversation despite the boundary that I know you have set. If only I could find that ONE THING that would totally make you see the light and learn to embrace the wonders of dryer lint! I keep trying. I slide it into conversations where the topic is not even remotely related to dryer lint. You see what I'm trying to do, so you ignore my attempt. I try some more...

It's that game you play at the fair, where the gophers pop up and you have to bop them on the head until they pop up again. Oh no...wait...

And here we go...:D

Imagine a topic that you have absolutely zero interest in knowing anything about but have a basic understanding of, like dryer lint. Now imagine if every day we talked, but all I wanted to talk about was that one thing that you don't want to hear anything about. "Have you checked your dryer lint tray? Did you hear that @prairie girl (sorry!!!) only cleans her lint catcher every two loads? The world dryer lint ball rolling competition is coming up, who are you rooting for? You tell me that you aren't interested in the topic, but I say that you just don't know everything about it, and if you did, then you would LOVE it as much as I, and many others, do. I proceed to regale you with my knowledge of impressive dryer lint information, like did you know that a guy made a picture of the Queen using a stencil and white and dark dryer lint? It's true! (The story no longer comes up on Google, but search dryer lint art and I ensure that you will be duly impressed!) I would then proceed to keep telling you about it. Every day. I know you don't want to hear anything more about it, but I'm excited, so it spills over into our conversation despite the boundary that I know you have set. If only I could find that ONE THING that would totally make you see the light and learn to embrace the wonders of dryer lint! I keep trying. I slide it into conversations where the topic is not even remotely related to dryer lint. You see what I'm trying to do, so you ignore my attempt. I try some more...
:D

But how do you feel about emptying the water out of your dryer. Yes, that's a thing here (generally, dryers aren't vented to the outside, so rather than being able to let out steam, water is either collected into a container that you periodically dump (I have to about once a week) or (usually when it is a combined washer/dryer in a single machine), the water gets drained the through the water hook-up.

Also, I now want Heavenly Hash - I haven't even thought of that in years (though we generally had Sealtest).

But how do you feel about emptying the water out of your dryer. Yes, that's a thing here (generally, dryers aren't vented to the outside, so rather than being able to let out steam, water is either collected into a container that you periodically dump (I have to about once a week) or (usually when it is a combined washer/dryer in a single machine), the water gets drained the through the water hook-up.
This is a valid point, for sure! We once had a refrigerator with a tray that sat underneath it, that we had to empty the water out of when condensation collected there. These are the world issues that people should be talking about and normalizing as part of daily conversation with others. It is hard to focus on World Cup Soccer when there are much more pressing issues in our day to day lives that need to be addressed.

You keep on dreaming Buzz! I think you underestimate the amount of "don't care/disinterest" in soccer for a lot of Canadians. We know the sport of soccer exists, we just aren't invested in it and have no desire to know everything about it. Are you being paid by the post to promote world soccer on the Disboards to Canadians? If so, it must be a thankless job.
Well, I’m a Disney fan so dreaming isn’t an issue. My post was just sharing an opinion and where the previous poster could get more info if he was curious. Hence why I mentioned my other thread. And as most have said, people that don’t care just scroll past any soccer related topics. Your dryer lint story made me laugh. I could show you statistics on soccer popularity growth in North America but that would just annoy people and is not meant for this thread. A poster made a soccer comment and I responded. It was meant no more than that. :-)

Oh, by the way. Wack a mole was very popular in the 90’s. So don’t bash it. 🤣

Thanks as always for your response @Frozen Canuck .😁

Also, I now want Heavenly Hash - I haven't even thought of that in years (though we generally had Sealtest).
This is a valid point, for sure! We once had a refrigerator with a tray that sat underneath it, that we had to empty the water out of when condensation collected there. These are the world issues that people should be talking about and normalizing as part of daily conversation with others. It is hard to focus on World Cup Soccer when there are much more pressing issues in our day to day lives that need to be addressed.
Asking the real first world questions here. 🤔🤣:duck:

;) I think you'd better take that kind of crazy talk over to the "American and British Culture Q&A Thread". Europeans are welcome to discourse there; BadPinkTink from Ireland (often reminding us Ireland is NOT part of the UK, thankyouverymuch) is a regular.

Canadians have a proud heritage of having vented dryers. And we wouldn'd dream of putting them in our kitchens.
1656164613554.png

;) I think you'd better take that kind of crazy talk over to the "American and British Culture Q&A Thread". Europeans are welcome to discourse there; BadPinkTink from Ireland (often reminding us Ireland is NOT part of the UK, thankyouverymuch) is a regular.

Canadians have a proud heritage of having vented dryers. And we wouldn'd dream of putting them in our kitchens.
View attachment 679163
What are the best brands of kitchen or laundry appliances in Canada? Here in the USA, Maytag is a very popular brand.

What are the best brands of kitchen or laundry appliances in Canada? Here in the USA, Maytag is a very popular brand.
Well, doing absolutely zero research on this topic, I'm going to go ahead and make a bold statement that the brands available in both countries are almost exactly the same. Many branded items are the same/similar throughout North America. It is when you hit Europe or other continents that you might notice more of a difference in brands. Now, I'm not talking about what appliance manufacturers originate in each country, simply answering your question. If you think Maytag is a good brand in the US, I could probably find someone in Canada to back up your claim. We got the same "lonely Maytag repairman" commercials on TV too.

I build houses for a living and my company puts 300+ sets of appliances a year into our homes. The customers select them; taking a guess I'd say most of them choose Whirlpool (made by the same manufacturers as Maytag) and Samsung, based on the price-point of the appliance allowance we give them.

The step-up brands are KitchenAid (this is what I have for fridge and stove; went to a Bosch dishwasher during Covid when I couldn't get parts for my old one), Jenn-Air, Bosch, Miele, Wolfe and Sub-Zero. That's in order of price. There are other very high-end professional-grade brands available but we rarely see them.

Sadly, due to space constraints in my condo, when my former laundry set (which was Kenmore; Sears is now defunct in Canada) gave out I had to go with Blomberg, a European brand (fear not - the dryer is vented for the North American market).

Well, doing absolutely zero research on this topic, I'm going to go ahead and make a bold statement that the brands available in both countries are almost exactly the same. Many branded items are the same/similar throughout North America. It is when you hit Europe or other continents that you might notice more of a difference in brands. Now, I'm not talking about what appliance manufacturers originate in each country, simply answering your question. If you think Maytag is a good brand in the US, I could probably find someone in Canada to back up your claim. We got the same "lonely Maytag repairman" commercials on TV too.
I build houses for a living and my company puts 300+ sets of appliances a year into our homes. The customers select them; taking a guess I'd say most of them choose Whirlpool (made by the same manufacturers as Maytag) and Samsung, based on the price-point of the appliance allowance we give them.

The step-up brands are KitchenAid (this is what I have for fridge and stove; went to a Bosch dishwasher during Covid when I couldn't get parts for my old one), Jenn-Air, Bosch, Miele, Wolfe and Sub-Zero. That's in order of price. There are other very high-end professional-grade brands available but we rarely see them.

Sadly, due to space constraints in my condo, when my former laundry set (which was Kenmore; Sears is now defunct in Canada) gave out I had to go with Blomberg, a European brand (fear not - the dryer is vented for the North American market).
Thanks for your responses and insight.

Found this interesting little bit of click-bait that might answer some questions for you, Buzz, as well as spark some conversation. I can't say I'd 100% agree with all of it but there's nothing egregiously misleading either:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle...g-to-canada/ss-AAYKYPp?ocid=msedgntp#image=16
Fixing the link for you @ronandannette
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle...AAYKYPp?ocid=msedgntp&fullscreen=true#image=1 (Shifting it to page 1 instead of 16).

Found this interesting little bit of click-bait that might answer some questions for you, Buzz, as well as spark some conversation. I can't say I'd 100% agree with all of it but there's nothing egregiously misleading either:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle...g-to-canada/ss-AAYKYPp?ocid=msedgntp#image=16
Also from the article:

https://www.readersdigest.ca/travel/canada/10-mind-boggling-facts-about-canada/

https://www.readersdigest.ca/travel/canada/canadian-geography-facts/

Thanks for the article. I may not agree with everything in Canada but I do greatly respect your country.
Everything there was pretty light-hearted and non-controversial. As has been touched on many, many times over the long course of this thread, in superficial ways (like what we eat for dessert ;)) it's difficult to differentiate our cultures. It's the deeper ethos; things not easily discussed on this forum, that make us who we are as a people and a strong, unique, proud nation. All we ask is that such things be accepted without question and that the values we hold so dear not be dismissed or diminished in misguided attempts to homogenize us with either the US or the UK.

Everything there was pretty light-hearted and non-controversial. As has been touched on many, many times over the long course of this thread, in superficial ways (like what we eat for dessert ;)) it's difficult to differentiate our cultures. It's the deeper ethos; things not easily discussed on this forum, that make us who we are as a people and a strong, unique, proud nation. All we ask is that such things be accepted without question and that the values we hold so dear not be dismissed or diminished in misguided attempts to homogenize us with either the US or the UK.
We are both awesomely unique. :-) 🇺🇸 🤝🇨🇦

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter