American Idol, Season 5 **Official Discussion Thread**

The link from CruiserKaren's post: here

The red prom dress in question does belong to Miss Pickler providing this is a real yearbook page (link above). The bottom left picture shows her in the dress with a friend. Begs another question- if this is her Senior Yearbook, that could not have been her Senior Prom dress...

UnderTheMistletoe said:
Begs another question- if this is her Senior Yearbook, that could not have been her Senior Prom dress...

I'll bite.........why?

Does it really matter whether it was her Jr. or Sr. Prom dress? :confused3 And yes, we do have proms "down here" as well as other formal dances. I am just not sure what her prom dress has to do with this competition?

Where could she have found such a dress, being that Albemarle doesn't cater to the calamari crowd? Guess what - we actually have a bridal boutique, and one of the great things about this small town, is that that boutique provides customer service! If she doesn't have what you have in mind she will either order it for you, tell where you can find it, or have her seamstress make you one just like it. Besides that we are only ~50 miles from Charlotte and we do have modes of transportation that don't have to be fed or cranked :cool1: We can actually drive to the big city!

Sorry for being a bit sarcastic here - just tired of seeing the bashing on the hometown girl - and our hometown as well.

Albemarle is very proud of Kellie and what she has accomplished. Whether she wins or not, I feel she deserves an applause just for having the guts and ambition to rise above the hand she was dealt as a child.

Here they give out the yearbooks for Seniors in the fall after they graduate.

BTW Pickler is one of the worst remaining contestants. She is obviously very fake, and went way overboard with the acting when she said "What's a ballsy?" Uhh dumba it's an adjective.

The top 5 for me are 1. Elliott, 2. Taylor, 3. Mandisa, 4. Chris, 5. Katharine

Bucky, Ace, and Kellie can please exit the building. Paris and Lisa are ok.

The prom pics from our hs yearbook were from the previous year. Jr and Sr went to the same prom. We do actually have fancy pretty dresses down here and we actually wear shoes sometimes.

I agree that some of the ditziness is probably and act and one of the radio station here that talks about AI said if anyone knows her please get her the message that people are getting put off by it. Charlotte is very close to Albemarle and Kellie was on the Give Me the Mike Charlotte talent show a couple of years ago so I know she is slightly more wordly that she is letting on. Maybe not a lot but I don't think she is as dumb as she is letting people believe.

I think she is talented and hope she does well in her career. Hopefully someone will tell her about the makeup issues and try to come across a little brighter.

For those on the calamari thing-- I have NEVER had calamari and had never even heard of it until I was in my late 20's.

UnderTheMistletoe said:
The link from CruiserKaren's post: here

The red prom dress in question does belong to Miss Pickler providing this is a real yearbook page (link above). The bottom left picture shows her in the dress with a friend. Begs another question- if this is her Senior Yearbook, that could not have been her Senior Prom dress...

When I was a senior the senior prom/senior trip/and graduation pictures were put in an additional supplement which was mailed to all the seniors. This supplement had some mounting strips which you peeled off and stuck in a specific section in your yearbook.

Nice catch Damo.. that this is the same dress and is her!

TeresaNJ said:
Oh yea, I'd also like to add that my daughter has a belly-button piercing, and at one time an eyebrow ring, and does have a piercing below her bottom lip, and is a straight A student at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. I don't think it has held her back yet. Oops, forgot to mention her tattoo across her lower back and on her foot, LOL. Did I want her to get these piercings and tattoos, NO, but she did it after she turned 18. Anyway, my point is, please don't judge based on what you see.

I couldn't have said it better. My daughter is a very artsy/creative person who is a sensational wedding cake decorator at the Grand Floridian who has piercings and tattoos. I agree with TeresaNJ, please don't judge people until you get to know them. We all have different styles and tastes...that is what makes us so unique!

I am not saying that towns don't have shoes or proms or restaurants.

I lived in a small town, in the PINE BARRENS (doesn't that sound remote--heck if the word Barren is in it, its a clue) and heard of calamari even when I was younger. I knew of salmon and ballsy and I actually wore a one piece prom dress!

She is a heck of a lot more wordly than she lets on.. and some of her comments are way off base. I don't know what a key is, I've never sang in front of people before, Sal-mon, and Whats a ballsy? is just the beginning.

She's fabricated a whole lifestyle that prpogates the idea of her being a backwoods hick when in actuality she is not. That is the part that is bugging me. Many people are buying into her fabrication and sob story (yes tragic, but others have had it just as tragic).

bicker said:
Assuming that is Kellie in the photo, the dress covered all the parts it needed to.

I'm not so sure of that, unless I'm not seeing what I think I'm seeing. The bottom part of the dress seems to be somewhat, um, revealing.

You're not seeing what you think you're seeing. It's a shadow.

lillygator said:
doesn't the yearbook go to press well before the prom?

I went to a high school that the yearbook didn't go to press until after. While I PITA if you are a graduating senior...it is current year and contains all current year events up through and including graduation.

Not sure if her high school does that--but hey--it is a possibility.

PixiPwr said:
Does it really matter whether it was her Jr. or Sr. Prom dress? :confused3 And yes, we do have proms "down here" as well as other formal dances. I am just not sure what her prom dress has to do with this competition?

Where could she have found such a dress, being that Albemarle doesn't cater to the calamari crowd? Guess what - we actually have a bridal boutique, and one of the great things about this small town, is that that boutique provides customer service! If she doesn't have what you have in mind she will either order it for you, tell where you can find it, or have her seamstress make you one just like it. Besides that we are only ~50 miles from Charlotte and we do have modes of transportation that don't have to be fed or cranked :cool1: We can actually drive to the big city!

Sorry for being a bit sarcastic here - just tired of seeing the bashing on the hometown girl - and our hometown as well.

Albemarle is very proud of Kellie and what she has accomplished. Whether she wins or not, I feel she deserves an applause just for having the guts and ambition to rise above the hand she was dealt as a child.

With all due respect...

She cried humble beginnings and all that jazz at the very beginning. My life was not near as bad as hers--and I was compelled to recycle a dress b/c I couldn't afford to get one. And my parents weren't in jail, left me or whatever.

It isn't that she's a country girl. Heck--remember Carrie---never flew...life not beyond the farm....star sightings--but it's daytime...oh those kind of stars. She was real.

With each week it seems that something new comes out about Kellie that suggests she is a wonderful actress. I liked her in the beginning and have enjoyed her....and while the facts may be true (dad in jail and all that stuff---)-she seems to be trying to hard and it is coming across that her demeaner is nothing more than an act.

First let me clear something up on the Katharine McPhee *bleep* episode. ;) I saw an interview with her where they asked where that came from since it seemed so out of character. She told them that she had become pretty close to one of the cameramen who also happens to be Nigel's son (I think it was Nigel - one of the head honchos) Anyway, they were goofing around and he was getting her to goof in front of the camera and said "come on, act like you are really mad and let me have it" - you know, like some of the contestants would do when they were turned down at audition. So in fun she did it. Unfortunately I guess TV ratings trump a supposed friendship and they used that footage as if it pertained to a real circumstance. :(

And second - Elliott is our hometown guy (well, Chris kinda is too a bit because he went to school here) but here is an article that was in the Richmond newspaper about Elliott and it had a cute story about his mom and her run in with a certain someone in the audience. :)

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834909685

I have a confession to make. I absolutely LOVED Kellie Pickler's performance this week. I've watched it over and over and, man oh man, that girl can sing when she picks the right music.

So blah, blah, blah, makeup and blah, blah, blah, dumb blond and more blahs on her outfit. Who cares? The number she did blew me out of my socks.

Walkin After Midnight

I love hard as nails rock and roll that actually has a melody and words you can understand. ::yes::

UnderTheMistletoe said:
I totally agree. I've competed in local Miss Americas... and have friends that have every desire, ambition, and likelihood of making it to the national stage. You cannot be as dumb as a sack of bricks in that competition. I am sure she did very well in talent and swimsuit. She may have done well in interview with her bubbly personality, but there's no way she can be stupid and have made it to that level of competition.

I think she's incredibly bright and is using everyhthign she can to her advantage. After the success of Jessica Simpson being driven largely in part to her "ditzy dumb southern belle" persona who wouldn't want the capitalize on it? She wants fame and fortune, doesn't sound half bad, and is on a show where America votes? Why not use the tried and true Jessica Simpson approach?

Doesn't mean it makes it right. Someone in the pageant circles clued me onto her history with MAO awhile ago (like auditions). When the whole, "I've never sung in front of very many people before" came spilling out of her mouth, I spit my drink out. She's entertainment!

I agree with not making where she is by being so "dumb". If whe won miss North carolina ( I think that is the state she won in) then she had to be more than just backwoods. I'm not saying she can't sing but be real. I can't stand lying. :furious:

OK, maybe she is exaggerating the backwoods thing just a bit. But that aside, is she good enough to be American Idol? I don't think so but that's just my opinion. I'm not really sure who is good enough at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter