American Idol, Season 5 **Official Discussion Thread**

fanofdisney said:
Can someone please post the link to Kellie's prom dress again? I lost it, and can't sift through all these pages! Thanks!

It's on post #2881. I think she looks cute, even though I'd kill my daughter if she went to the prom looking like that!! I dressed VERY risque back in the day and I was as innocent as the day was long... I just thought I looked cute and didn't understand what the commotion was about! :confused:

I don't envy a human being, I don't care for Kellie as an AI but think she's a cute girl. I just don't find "dumb" adorable, I find it appalling. I think it's real but I just think she plays it up because so many people love that stuff. It obviously worked on Simon!

Every year this thread gets opinionated and crazy, everyone has their favorite and insists on going on and on about their least favorite. EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion, what's the big deal? Heck I like Ace and Paris, I could care less if no one else does, I LOVED Fantasia and Ruben, does anyone remember how much of a minority I was in those years? Clay's face is STILL on these boards!

I think we just need to respect each others opinions and realize that everyone has one, and it might not necessarily be YOURS.

Carry on... :teeth:

Nice that the "explanation" just shows up all of a sudden. :rolleyes:
Yeah, all of a sudden, like right when it was broadcast. :rolleyes: If you were paying attention, and cared to consider the possibility, it was readily evident during the broadcast.

Meanwhile, it's OK to constantly go after Kellie Pickler, although she's never done anything on camera to deserve it
It isn't okay to go after Kellie Pickler either. I remember the same thing going on against Fantasia two years ago. Seems that folks just cannot stand but to try to take people down whenever they can. All such mud-slinging seems like nothing more than jealousy or worse, and it disgusts me.

I think the show encourages mud-slinging. Just look at Simon's comments - he says exactly how he feels and is paid to do so. I also think that contestants are chosen who will produce this effect and the show is editted to enhance the drama - the good tv syndrome.

In my opinion, if you go on a reality tv show, and are getting paid for throwing yourself out there, then you need to be open to all glory and criticism.

I think the fans get more up in arms when their favourites are cut-up than the contestants actually do.

I've seen the same thing going on with Bucky with someone even accusing him of "taking" other contestant's deserved spots. I don't get it either because all of the contestants still there presumably got more votes and deserve to be there.

princessariel said:
Your daughter works for WDW and she has piercings and tatoos on her body that show? I didn't think that was allowed. I'm not being sarcastic, just wondering. Maybe she can because she's not in the publics view?

You are correct...no tattos are to show or piercings. Disney is very professional with appearances...and everyone must follow the rules.

dolphindan1 said:
Envy not of her past life but of the life she is living now....American Idol....

Jealous..don't think so. They work 16-18 hours a day, working thier tushes off, every move scrutinezed on and off camera, doing on and off screen work and oh, yes having to sing and practice your craft. You don't sleep well, away from families, and hardly have time to eat.

You are sold/coerced into a horrible iron clad contract that determines your every move for years. You are required to released albums that aren't very good or reflective of your style (see Bo Bice's CD).

I'm just stating that some contestants choices are not wise.

I don' t understand the logic of your statement.

Bo Bice had his own options post Idol. He probably didn't shop around.

Kellie seems to be doing very well. I am sure her contract has been nicely updated.

And with All the winners--it seems that the producer they get assigned too...does a very good job of placing them in the genre that will work for them and reflects their style. Reuben isn't singing pop. Fantasia isn't singing Country, Carrie isn't singing reggae, and Kellie isn't singing show tunes.

Isn't it just a smidge possible--that it isn't Bo's CD that is the problem?

I mean he's no Justin--but based on what happened when he had an album--it seems he didn't win for a very good reason. And only 2 seasons where 2nd place was a good enough showing to yield a recording contract so quickly (Reuben/Clay, Carrie/Bo).

RE: Jealousy

To be jealous of one contestant--there's nine others for Pete sake. And we're jealous of what Kellie has going for her? Don't the other 9 have the same opportunity to shine?

Hmmm--how many were jealous of Kevin????? I wonder. Their inner chicken little just couldn't stand that he was on national tv while they were subject to ridicule in high school. Yeah--that must be it. He went home b/c of jealousy--not his perfomance.

So when we have an opinion--dissent...is jealousy.

(I have a new respond for all the DIS debate threads now. :thumbsup2 )

Do you mean Kelly Clarkson? She removed herself from her Idol connections long ago and is now managed by RCA instead of 19E.

damo said:
Do you mean Kelly Clarkson? She has removed herself from her Idol connections long ago and is now managed by RCA instead of 19E.

Right--that would mean her contract did not tie her up for years which is what I really meant.

ETA: Oops--I guess I had pickler spelling on the brain.

Clarkson was tied to 19E longer than Bice. Bice choose to stick with Davis. Smart move, IMHO.

what is the obligation?

I am sure that for a length of time they cannot option. Part of the prize is the obligation.

While the label can offer a contract to any of the finalists--I'm sure they aren't required to take it, are they? They just have a window that they cannot release an album. Correct?

The winner, of course, has to take the $1M contract. The other finalists are under contract until the end of the Fall, I believe.

Robinrs said:

Every year this thread gets opinionated and crazy, everyone has their favorite and insists on going on and on about their least favorite. EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion, what's the big deal? Heck I like Ace and Paris, I could care less if no one else does, I LOVED Fantasia and Ruben, does anyone remember how much of a minority I was in those years? Clay's face is STILL on these boards!

I think we just need to respect each others opinions and realize that everyone has one, and it might not necessarily be YOURS.

Carry on... :teeth:

Way to Go! :thumbsup2

I loved Rubens voice..but liked Clay's better.

On another message board I attend, there was a finals contestant that went to Hollywood, but not the final 24.

Since this contestant made it that far, they were put into a contract situtation that forbids the contestants (male or female) to do anything musically with anyone else until 3 months after the finals show. Mind you this contestant didn't even make the top 24. Also mind you that the auditions were back September/October if I remember correctly. (previously taped, and played in January)

And if you were a previous finals contestant either top 44 or 24 you can not come back that far.-new clause in contract. Yes, you can reaudition again-many people do that unknowingly that if they got that far again 44 or 24 they can not go again. There was talk that Jacyln Crum-young girl from last season who made it to Hollywood but not the final 24 would audition again. Since she made Hollywood last year, her chances were slim to non to return again due to this new contract clause.

You are also under option, for the current performers. Yes, Bo's CD tanked. I read an interview with him in Blender magazine last year which said something like he wanted to use more of his material in his next album. Which states that stuff was given to him and he HAD under contractual obligation to record it. Was William Hungs record under a 19E company? I'm not sure.

Anyway, the contracts that are made are pretty strict. Its not only recording,but personal appearances, performances for promotional purposes and the like.

There was talk last year that performers had attorneys come and look over the contract as performers were signing it as they advanced to the finals. The story is that (mind you its conjecture) that Mario Vasquez did not agree to the terms and bowed out and quit.

Cindy B said:
On another message board I attend, there was a finals contestant that went to Hollywood, but not the final 24.

Since this contestant made it that far, they were put into a contract situtation that forbids the contestants (male or female) to do anything musically with anyone else until 3 months after the finals show. Mind you this contestant didn't even make the top 24. Also mind you that the auditions were back September/October if I remember correctly. (previously taped, and played in January)

And if you were a previous finals contestant either top 44 or 24 you can not come back that far.-new clause in contract. Yes, you can reaudition again-many people do that unknowingly that if they got that far again 44 or 24 they can not go again. There was talk that Jacyln Crum-young girl from last season who made it to Hollywood but not the final 24 would audition again. Since she made Hollywood last year, her chances were slim to non to return again due to this new contract clause.

You are also under option, for the current performers. Yes, Bo's CD tanked. I read an interview with him in Blender magazine last year which said something like he wanted to use more of his material in his next album. Which states that stuff was given to him and he HAD under contractual obligation to record it. Was William Hungs record under a 19E company? I'm not sure.

Anyway, the contracts that are made are pretty strict. Its not only recording,but personal appearances, performances for promotional purposes and the like.

There was talk last year that performers had attorneys come and look over the contract as performers were signing it as they advanced to the finals. The story is that (mind you its conjecture) that Mario Vasquez did not agree to the terms and bowed out and quit.

National Auditions were in Aug/Sept. Hollywood auditions took place in December. The top 24 was chosen towards the end of january.

Jaclyn Crum was too busy to audition even if she wanted too. Last I heard she was pregnant, not sure if she has given birth yet though.

In past years, those who couldn't audition again were those in the top 32. With the format change in AI4 its been changed to the top 44 (or those that make the elevator/chair/decision episode)

William Hung is not attached to 19E at all.

I know David Radford just said he is still under contract to AI. However, under this contract is is allowed to perform in certain venues. I think he said he will be performing at A Taste of Chicago this summer. There are certain places he can and cannot perform for the near future.

Do the AI stylists wait until the top 10 to perform their magic? I can't remember. I'm waiting for some contestants to get their makeovers. It seems that Clay started transforming before the top 10. :confused3 Maybe they need to hire new stylists.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter