Am I the only person that has trouble with ScooterBug?

I just keep seeing horror stories of people having their manual wheelchairs broken by several different airlines so I imagine the risk could be higher for ECVs
I mean the thing is freaking heavy and takes a few guys to get on top of the luggage container. It's not like throwing a manual chair somewhere. Certainly horror stories, but they know this equipment is expensive.

I just keep seeing horror stories of people having their manual wheelchairs broken by several different airlines so I imagine the risk could be higher for ECVs

Our manual wheelchair has had 2 round trips (so 4 flights) on Delta since 2021. I have never had any concerns about our wheelchair and it comes out just fine. I do take any parts off (like the footplates) that I think could break. It will be flying Delta again in about 2 weeks. we have just a regular wheelchair (not a transport one). We do have relatives that had their old transport chair broken by an airline about 10 years ago or so. The airline replaced it. I believe our relatives bought a new one (they needed for their daughter on a trip) and then submitted the receipt for reimbursement.

I can't speak for the OP but I fly to WDW and there is no way I'm taking my scooter on a plane and risk it getting damaged.
Adding to the fear of the scooter getting there and the airline (remember the commercial from years ago where the gorilla jumps up and down on the luggage? Imagine that's my scooter!), I always say that if I have a mechanical problem with my scooter on vacation, I lose time and money and possibly my scooter. But if I rent a scooter, I just call up the company and they bring me a new one.

Didn't that one activist die because an airline broke her wheelchair and she couldn't afford to replace it and the airline refused?

Honestly, DH has flown multiple times with his and there was only once where it was damaged. He was actually already was going to have Gold Mobility give it a once over just to check all was still working well. He reported the damage to the airline and called Gold Mobility to let them know what the airline had damaged. They picked it up the next morning as previously arranged and gave him a loaner. They then fixed the damaged items and checked everything else over and had his scooter back to him by noon. Gold Mobility worked with the airline's (Southwest) insurance company and handles everything between them. They were so affordable and communicated so well that apparently they are trying to using Gold Mobility exclusively when having scooters repaired in the Orlando area.

By the way, that was the airlines insurance agent that told him that and actually thanked him for having the issues and introducing them to Gold Mobility, apparently prior to that they were having issues with it taking months to get even simple repairs done elsewhere.

DH used to have the same attitude as most on here about renting, until it took almost two hours to get wheelchair service at MCO once and another time an hour. He was done after that and said he will take his own and gate check it, despite the risks.

Last edited:
We own thru Buena Vista at WDW. During Covid, they sold some of there stock at $500 each and we pay a nominal fee for them to store it thru the year. It was a very good deal for us as we go 2-4 times/year and they provide free pick-up and drop-off. Their scooters charge quickly and they don't have the back-up beeper. Very satisfied.

So, I always recommend Buena Vista but I'm also glad to hear good things about Gold Mobility. I agree that it is better to deal with pick up and drop off times than potential issues with ScooterBug.
I always used Buena Vista rentals for my mom prior to the Bell Services change. The reps were kind and courteous when I booked. I honestly can't think of a time she had an issue where I needed to call for assistance so I can't really speak to that. I guess that's a good thing!

Can you elaborate on the storage it provides? It seems like Buena Vista is still selling units. Do they just drop off the unit you own vs a rented unit on the same resort schedule you see posted online? Thanks!

I've needed an ECV for over 10 years and have found Buena Vista to have the most consistently best however I've needed to use ScooterBug 3 times in the past 3 years just because I had to have them left and picked up at Bell Services without being there to meet them. We had trouble with each and every rental. We get ECVs that look fully charged but are not.

One of the ECV's would not turn on. Even Bell Services tried multiple times and I had to wait at the resort while my family went onto the parks to get a replacement. (Yeah, I know things like this happen...) The other times, the ECV started to loose charge halfway thru the first day, requiring me to find a place to plug in and recharge each time. Two rentals were in WDW but last week I was at DL. My DH and I both got ECVs and they both looked fully charged (all green) but halfway thru the day, it was in the yellow. We had to park it multiple times to charge and make a choice of walking (and risking injury) or missing out with the family in the park. I called them and they could swap them out but we would have needed to go all the way back to the resort and wait 30-120 minutes, whenever they could get there. I wasn't sure I had the power to go that far on mine. So we lost time and had increased pain to deal with the whole day. Based on my past experience, we kept the ECVs and charged them all night in my room. The rest of the trip, the ECVs worked fine. Never any problem and never lost one green bar.

Has anyone else experienced getting an ECV that wasn't fully charged? Or am I just unlucky? I seriously don't want to get from them again unless I get it the night before so I can charge it myself.

(FYI, I'm not near the weight limit at all and I always turn it off when I'm not in motion, so I don't drain the battery needlessly. I also don't use the USB port to charge my phone. All I do is drive it and park it to do the attractions.)
I rented from them in July because it was a short trip and I didn't want to pay the weekly rate for Gold mobility. The first scooter I had was a danger to myself and others. It would randomly decide to roll forwards or backwards on sloped ramps and walkways. Other times it wouldn't turn on - something was wrong with the "manual mode" switch that allows you to flip it and roll the scooter. They replaced it overnight. Both ECVs looked like they'd seen some hard living. I won't rent from them again.

Any other companies like Walker who will rent for 3-4 days? I have trips that are like Saturday night to Tuesday morning. I also can't stand if it BEEPS when I back-up. That just kills me lol.

Over the past 24 months of visits - I've rented from Scooterbug 4 times - and GOLD mobility about 3 times and another company who I don't recall the name once (I had dreamed that my personal scooter would be fine despite knowing otherwise)
Anyway - while all the scooterbug ECVs "worked" and the ease of having it waiting at bell services was my primary reason - each one had issues that were annoying - extremely slow speed; totally bald tires; ripped seats; 2 couldn't be adjusted in any way.. I did not contact them for replacement for any of these as they were just annoying to me and something I pretty much accepted as par for the course for them.
On the other hand - I've never had issues with Gold - have used them in the past - and decided that going forward I will build the pick up/ drop off procedure into my WDW plan. I think their batteries last longer and the units are better maintained.

I rented from them in July because it was a short trip and I didn't want to pay the weekly rate for Gold mobility. The first scooter I had was a danger to myself and others. It would randomly decide to roll forwards or backwards on sloped ramps and walkways. Other times it wouldn't turn on - something was wrong with the "manual mode" switch that allows you to flip it and roll the scooter. They replaced it overnight. Both ECVs looked like they'd seen some hard living. I won't rent from them again.

Any other companies like Walker who will rent for 3-4 days? I have trips that are like Saturday night to Tuesday morning. I also can't stand if it BEEPS when I back-up. That just kills me lol.
Buena Vista Scooters Has a 2 day rental minimum.

With a lot of companies, renting 3-4 days will cost more than Gold Mobility for the week long price, especially if you add in the damage (and theft waiver if the other company even offers that) plus the captains chair, cell phone holder, cup holder and fan.

And through today Gold Mobility is having a labor day sale for repeat customers for future bookings, so that might further make a difference for you.

With a lot of companies, renting 3-4 days will cost more than Gold Mobility for the week long price, especially if you add in the damage (and theft waiver if the other company even offers that) plus the captains chair, cell phone holder, cup holder and fan.

And through today Gold Mobility is having a labor day sale for repeat customers for future bookings, so that might further make a difference for you.
Yes it was fairly close in price for 4 days and I didn't add any extras except the damage waiver. Buena Vista rents for shorter times but has this set drop off schedule so I'd get to the hotel at 9:30am and not get the ECV until 1:30pm. I've rented ECVs four times this year already - it really adds up. I'm hoping to have both knees replaced next year so fingers crossed at some point I can go without one in the future.

We're back and wanted to share this trip's Scooterbug experience.

The ECV was fine overall; one of the arms was a little loose so my husband left it up. It did not affect his first time on a scooter. The speed controls worked well. When we were back in our room and ready to charge overnight, we noticed that the prongs were bent and prevented the charger from working. This was Sunday night.

On Monday morning (Labor Day), I called Scooterbug to see if we could get a replacement charger. They answered promptly and said someone would drop one off when near the Contemporary; they would text or call when dropped at Bell Services. I went to get coffee at Contemporary Grounds; shortly after I sat at a table to drink it, I got the text that it was delivered. This charger worked as expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter