Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

I'm not referring to improvements in terms of attendance. I'm referring to improvements in realism and detail of these areas - I.E. there's arguably not much more detail in Pandora than there is in Hogsmeade.
That really comes down to personal preference or taste. In the case of Potter vs. Pandora one may notice more detail in Potter areas because they are attached to those stories and know what to look for and things like that. Same with Star Wars. People are going nuts over the easter eggs in SWGE already some not even Star Wars specific (Ark of the Covenant).

That really comes down to personal preference or taste. In the case of Potter vs. Pandora one may notice more detail in Potter areas because they are attached to those stories and know what to look for and things like that. Same with Star Wars. People are going nuts over the easter eggs in SWGE already some not even Star Wars specific (Ark of the Covenant).
and the foot from one of the statues that used to be in the Indiana Jones cene in GMR
Seriously, the amount of details to discover in SWGE is staggering. In just a corner there are some lockers and inside each one there's a treasure trove to be discovered. The true SW fan is going to have a blast just finding these things everywhere

I'm not referring to improvements in terms of attendance. I'm referring to improvements in realism and detail of these areas - I.E. there's arguably not much more detail in Pandora than there is in Hogsmeade.

Difficult to compare as one is based on existing IP (HP books/movies) and one is new self-imagined IP (loosely based on the story). Same can be said for SW:GE.
Disney had a choice, both with their own set of risks
1- take the HP model of replicating existing places. The risk here is that the scrutiny would be huge if the implementation is wrong.
2- New IP. The risk here is that people might not "get it" or it wouldn't be enough, etc.

It seems like Disney executed both Pandora and SW:GE brilliantly. As did US with the help from JKR.

I understand that sentiment. But consider it like this: all of these things are "Disney" for younger generations. My 8yo daughter has/will grow up with Marvel and Star Wars under the Disney umbrella. If Disney were trying to only cater to the audience who remembers this 'classical Disney' then they'd be out of business within a generation.

Also consider that the 8 year old’s generation won’t have any disposable income to spend on these parks and merchandise for another 20-30 years... whereas there is/was a generation of original trilogy fans waiting to spend their money right now.

Disney’s failure to include any original trilogy content will hit them in the short term and also in the long term as I don’t think Star Wars has the legs to last that 20-30 years under the current direction.

Also consider that the 8 year old’s generation won’t have any disposable income to spend on these parks and merchandise for another 20-30 years... whereas there is/was a generation of original trilogy fans waiting to spend their money right now.

Disney’s failure to include any original trilogy content will hit them in the short term and also in the long term as I don’t think Star Wars has the legs to last that 20-30 years under the current direction.
Millennium Falcon/Chewbacca/Lightsabers/Droids/blue milk and all the easter eggs that can be found through out the land are original trilogy

All have their caveats though. The Falcon is the new trilogy version complete with square sensor dish and porg nests. Chewbacca, lightsabers and droids are ever present through the IP, but they are specifically the new trilogy versions of themselves.

Not trying to turn this into the much advertised arguments within the fan base, but I do think they missed a trick here. Just my opinion of course.

It cost $300 million

You will never get me to believe they spent $300 million on the ride. The actual coaster at most cost $25-$50 million but more than likely on the lower end of that. Your telling me that theming and AAs cost $250 million. The AAs are very basic mechanically.

You will never get me to believe they spent $300 million on the ride. The actual coaster at most cost $25-$50 million but more than likely on the lower end of that. Your telling me that theming and AAs cost $250 million. The AAs are very basic mechanically.
I'm not telling you anything just sharing info that is out there. Quick google search and you'll find plenty of different sources https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/13/hou...y-potter-coaster-at-universal-in-orlando.html

That seems nitpicky, even for a star wars fan

Do I wish it was Empire instead of First Order? Sure. But overall, Star Wars is Star Wars, and I think most fans like the universe itself, regardless of time period.

But that’s getting to the very essence of what fans are. We are fanatics that want everything perfectly presented. Nitpicking is our right!

All have their caveats though. The Falcon is the new trilogy version complete with square sensor dish and porg nests. Chewbacca, lightsabers and droids are ever present through the IP, but they are specifically the new trilogy versions of themselves.

Not trying to turn this into the much advertised arguments within the fan base, but I do think they missed a trick here. Just my opinion of course.

you are absolutely right that there are a lot of hard core fans that are really fans of the original trilogy (or at least the Original Trilogy is "their" Star Wars) and this land is not focused on that. I do think at least a portion of that group is just anti-Disney and basically anything Disney did they would be against

But Disney is focused more on the part of the story they control and will control going forward - and they added in the Easter Eggs for a lot of the fans, etc.

and while there is that portion that is against what got built - I still think the vast majority of fans are/will be pysched to get to fly the Falcon not mater the shape of the sensor dish

It's not just "OT fans" who have disposable income, though. I have a lot of younger friends who grew up in the prequel era and are now working adults. I'm in between OT and PT generations and I absolutely love everything they're doing with Galaxy's Edge and can't wait to visit. Judging by the wide range of ages of fans who attend Star Wars Celebration, I think you underestimate Star Wars' staying power.

But that’s getting to the very essence of what fans are. We are fanatics that want everything perfectly presented. Nitpicking is our right!

Ah. Didn't realize you were a fan, what with the whole "star wars doesn't have the legs for another 20-30 years" thing.

Star Wars has plenty legs. It lasted this long. The prequels didn't kill it. The new movies are...well. I mean, I loved TFA. And...a lot of people really liked TLJ. The new characters are fun and loveable, and tbh I don't care what version of the Falcon I get to fly, so long as I get to fly the Falcon.

The only thing that I don't like so much about GE is the "join the first order" stuff. That's a little wiggy to me.

Touché!

You’ll note that the quote was “doesn’t have the legs to last 20-30 years under the current direction”.

FWIW I really liked TFA too. I just didn’t realise that would be the last one I’d enjoy.

Touché!

You’ll note that the quote was “doesn’t have the legs to last 20-30 years under the current direction”.

FWIW I really liked TFA too. I just didn’t realise that would be the last one I’d enjoy.

I mean...under the current direction, it sure seems to be doing fine to me, my unending frustrations with TLJ aside. There's, what, at least 2 television series coming out soon, one animated, one live-action, more movies on the way. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by RoS (wish Abrams had just helmed all three, it was a really weird call to just...pass the MIDPOINT OF A TRILOGY TO A DUDE WHO DIDN'T CARE ABOUT THE TRILOGY and it's ok, I'm calm, it's ok)... but even if I don't...that's fine? It doesn't necessarily have to be for me. I know more people who loved TLJ than who didn't.

I think "under the current direction" it's easily got legs to last another 20-30 years.

At this point, Star Wars is like Marvel Comics. Even if they do enter an awkward period of throwing a lot of things against the wall (the 90s for Marvel), their core is enduring enough that they'll make it through that in tact.

So if you don't think Star Wars will last another 20-30 years under Disney, what would it have done if Lucas hadn't sold it? He definitely did not want to be in charge of making more movies.

I’m just not as calm as you Truxi. I look at what they did with TLJ with disbelief (and like many fans, take offence) If they wanted to experiment with Rian Johnson then it would have fit better in a stand-alone film. Instead we got stand-alone content in the middle of a trilogy, giving JJ a real problem to complete the story in one film.

If Lucas had still owned it, yeah it would have stagnated on the film front but the EU (Expanded Universe) was going strong. There is an argument for however good TFA and Rogue One were, were they enough to balance how bad TLJ, Solo and Resistance were?

But again I’m getting dangerously close to igniting that argument that has become so toxic on social media, so I will just say in conclusion, that in my view, not catering enough for the OT fans in what is already a fractured fanbase could be a problem.

Now, come let’s talk about what the queues are going to look like in week 1 :-)

I’m just not as calm as you Truxi. I look at what they did with TLJ with disbelief (and like many fans, take offence) If they wanted to experiment with Rian Johnson then it would have fit better in a stand-alone film. Instead we got stand-alone content in the middle of a trilogy, giving JJ a real problem to complete the story in one film.

I mean, I'm very inclined to agree. I think Rian Johnson would've done great with, say, a Tag and Bink film. But TLJ...baffles me. On so many levels.

tbh, the only reason I'm "calm" anymore is that I had to make a conscious choice to be. The month after the movie came out I was writing essays in my sleep. LITERALLY. I was dreaming that I was writing essays about everything I disliked about the movie. It's a rabbit hole I did not enjoy being down, so I try to make the conscious decision not to do that anymore.

But that one movie aside, I think SW has plenty of staying power. I mean. It survived Attack of the Clones. It's always been bigger than just one film.

As an OT fan primarily, I feel plenty catered to by GE, and I think it's the right choice in the long run, because it gives Disney more freedom. Tho I might just treat it like a Ren fest and be like "eh, some vague 100-ish-year-range."

If Lucas had still owned it, yeah it would have stagnated on the film front but the EU (Expanded Universe) was going strong.

Oh, I will VERY much disagree with that - and I'm a huge fan of the books. The later series were not good. And they killed Mara in 2007 so I gave up most of my interest then. :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!