Adult only restaurants...dare I suggest it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what if we all wrote letters to WDW management, suggesting either an adults-only restaurant, or adults-only sections of certain restaurants? Anyone up for a spot of letter writing?
Cheers!
Heather W

doubletrouble_vb said:
Sectioning off an area for adults only and then sticking to that would be a good idea. This isn't what you all are thinking of but I would use Disney's definition of adult. There aren't that many restaurants out in the real world that refuse to sell/refuse to permit minors.

Adult pools I can't see...the rent people pay is to be able to use standard services like pools. Only in someplace like Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach could I see this happening.

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, there are adults-only restaurant, club, pool, and beach facilities on the Disney cruise ships, all of which do a booming business and none of which seem to bother any of the many parents who book those cruises.

An adults-only pool at a hotel would not be the only pool. There would be an adults-only pool plus one or more family pools where kids could swim, but the adults-only pool would be a place where grownups could swim free of the need to dodge flying littles around the pool deck. Families would still be able to pay their rent and swim together, but adults would be able to pay their rent and swim without having to put up with other peoples' kids.

Hi -
I just mentioned this in one of my posts a few days ago, by way of thanking a young mom who wrote to ask about bringing her infant to CG.

I'm an "older" mom of schoolaged kids. I cannot agree with you more that there needs to be some WDW restaurants - besides V & A - for adults only. Again, it's about boundaries and entitlements. I am one of those weird adults who believe that there are certain places that need to be reserved as adult experiences only, much as I adore my kids and have, at times, given them "the world"!:guilty: In my mind, otherwise there is nothing for them to look forward to as adults. Children are children, not miniature adults. Let's save the pricey entree at the ritzy restaurant for when they are older and not make it part of their Disney experience.

Understand your worries about posting on the restaurant board. Entitled children have indulgent parents, and vice versa.

You deserve to have a place for a quite, intimate, conversational dinner with a friend or significant other, or solo. I am just not quite sure WDW's marketers think your dollars are great enough for them to risk possibly alienating the "entitled"!

melomouse

What if WDW just stopped offering Children's Menus at a few restaurants?

That way, children are not excluded, but a parent does make the commitment for their child to fully experience a finer-dining experience.

Right now, all WDW restaurants have children's menus, save V and A. I think you would see a significant drop in unruly children (and that's the part that's frustrating as an adult diner...well-behaved children who are learning about fine dining are charming to me!)

Even we have two children ages 3.5 and 5.5 and love all things family oriented and especially at Disney, it would definitely be a wonderfull treat to have dinner without the "mommy, he's looking at me" or the constant "sit on your bottom, turn around and eat your dinner and stop looking the other people" coming from our table, or someone elses. And, like someone mentioned, if not an adults only, definitley an adults only section. So, maybe one day there will be a table of imagineers out to dinner to discuss the latest strategies of park planning and get so frustrated with not being able to think or to hear their partners due to the table of children (like mine) next to the, that they will finally "come up" with the idea of an adults only style resturant. LOL -- hopefully I will not get flammed........... :furious:

You are absolutely right, Disney is not cheap. I would love an adult only Disney restaurant. I have eaten at Shula's in the Dolphin many times, it is pricey, however I have seen very few children in this restaurant. the cheapest entree is about $36 not including side dishes. It is also quiet and actually romantic despite the football theme.

The dynamic of Shula's would work pretty well (could be considered romantic, but not TOO romantic...after all they do bring you the menu written on a football). I've been to a Shula's although it wasn't the one at WDW.

My friends and I usually eschew Shula's because 1) it's really freaking expensive and 2) they specialize in great big honkin' cuts of red meat, and not many of us are big meat eaters (some are not meat eaters at all).

I don't think Shula's prohibits children...there just isn't anything there to interest children. Actually I think the price keeps the families away...so if they were to establish a lower priced sophisticated eating place, for it to meet the interests of the folks on this thread it would have to be made adults only.

WillCAD said:
Some people with kids get very millitant whenever you suggest anything at WDW be restricted. My personal thought on that is that those folks don't realize that WDW is for everybody. It's NOT just a place where families can take their kids, it's also a place where childless people can go to have a nice vacation.

"Welcome to Disney's [insert name] restaurant. We believe that 'WDW is for everybody,' so please get your kids out of here."

WDW is indeed for parents and non-parents alike. But if unruly children are the problem, why not advocate more attention on Disney's part to those parents who don't control their children? Or is the problem even the well-behaved ones? I have been bothered by unruly groups of adults in restaurants-- I don't see the logic in leaving them alone but excluding ALL kids, no matter how well-seasoned in restaurant etiquette. I guess I must be missing something.

Apologies if the above is "militant." I just know my kids would be a bit sad if they were to read that a bunch of folks at Disney-- DISNEY!!-- want them kept out of California Grill or Jiko (or even segregated into a special section) for no reason other than their age, and I wouldn't blame them a bit.

perge33 said:
"Welcome to Disney's [insert name] restaurant. We believe that 'WDW is for everybody,' so please get your kids out of here."

WDW is indeed for parents and non-parents alike. But if unruly children are the problem, why not advocate more attention on Disney's part to those parents who don't control their children? Or is the problem even the well-behaved ones? I have been bothered by unruly groups of adults in restaurants-- I don't see the logic in leaving them alone but excluding ALL kids, no matter how well-seasoned in restaurant etiquette. I guess I must be missing something.

Apologies if the above is "militant." I just know my kids would be a bit sad if they were to read that a bunch of folks at Disney-- DISNEY!!-- want them kept out of California Grill or Jiko (or even segregated into a special section) for no reason other than their age, and I wouldn't blame them a bit.

I do advocate Disney cracking down on unruly people of all ages in their restaurants and attractions. I have no more desire to listen to some drunken adult idiots swearing at the tops of their lungs in California Grill or Jiko than I have desire to hear a toddler screaming at the top of his lungs because he wants mac-n-cheese but mom and dad want him to have a balanced meal.

You don't sound militant, but you do sound like a parent who loves your children so much that you cannot even imagine a life without them. But I can imagine it, because I live it, and I ask you simply to be sympathetic to my choice to live a childless life - and understand that there are people who want to have a few places to eat where there are no children around.

WillCAD said:
I do advocate Disney cracking down on unruly people of all ages in their restaurants and attractions. I have no more desire to listen to some drunken adult idiots swearing at the tops of their lungs in California Grill or Jiko than I have desire to hear a toddler screaming at the top of his lungs because he wants mac-n-cheese but mom and dad want him to have a balanced meal.

You don't sound militant, but you do sound like a parent who loves your children so much that you cannot even imagine a life without them. But I can imagine it, because I live it, and I ask you simply to be sympathetic to my choice to live a childless life - and understand that there are people who want to have a few places to eat where there are no children around.

I appreciate that, and of course would not (and did not) dare quibble with your choice to be childless. And I also appreciate your agreement that adults at their worst can be as annoying as kids at their worst-- poor manners know no age. And you're perfectly free to want to eat where there are no children around, as you say. But your wishes have the impact of depriving people just as deserving as you from the feeling of being welcomed at all Disney restaurants. It's that simple-- you're asking for sympathy from me, but I'm not the one trying to shut the door in anyone's face.

Once again, I have no desire to force you to either bear children or even break bread with them-- my own or anyone else's. But don't think for a second that adults are the ones being put upon by the subject matter of this thread (after all, well-mannered kids are just as liable to be disturbed by unruly patrons in a restaurant as you are)-- it's the kids being told by some of their fellow customers that, no matter how polite they are, they are not welcome.

it's the kids being told by some of their fellow customers that, no matter how polite they are, they are not welcome.

How are they being told this? Do they feel the same way about, say, Jellyrolls, or Mannequins at PI? Are their parents saying "We can't go there, it's for grownups" which I think is sort of like "You can't watch that, it's a grownup movie" or "You can't try beer, it's for grownups." Or do the parents tell them "you can't go in there because it's a place for grownups who don't like children?"

The young family dynamic far outnumbers the adult visitors at WDW. The two groups are different people in a different stage of life and they want different things. If adults want to spend some time among their own dynamic, they are not insulting your children.

TDC Nala said:
How are they being told this? Do they feel the same way about, say, Jellyrolls, or Mannequins at PI? Are their parents saying "We can't go there, it's for grownups" which I think is sort of like "You can't watch that, it's a grownup movie" or "You can't try beer, it's for grownups." Or do the parents tell them "you can't go in there because it's a place for grownups who don't like children?"

The young family dynamic far outnumbers the adult visitors at WDW. The two groups are different people in a different stage of life and they want different things. If adults want to spend some time among their own dynamic, they are not insulting your children.

Sorry, but kids understand the difference, between (a) being excluded from an activity because it's inappropriate (an R-rated movie, a bar) and (b) being excluded from an activity because others have decided to stereotype them as all being loud, unruly brats. That said, you will search in vain for any reference in my posts to kids being insulted by you not wanting to spend time with them.

Neither my kids nor I are troubled by grown-ups wanting to be "among their own dynamic"-- millions go to bars (like Jellyolls or Mannequins!), adults-only resorts in the Caribbean and Las Vegas every day and we manage to sleep at night. I propose only that you show courteous, well-mannered diners like my children the same courtesy they show you-- that of not trying to get them kicked out of the restaurant.

I will spare you further posts on this matter.

NewYawker said:
Thanks for all the responses so far. I felt better about posting it here rather than the restaurant forum, feeling it would reach more sympathetic ears!

People with children read here too, LOL!

I think that having an adult-only restaurant or two is a very good idea. We would definately drop my DD off at a kids club and take advantage of a child-free evening. I too have been to V&A's and Shulas, each time without my own child. However ... I have seen other people's children in both restaurants.

perge33 said:
Sorry, but kids understand the difference, between (a) being excluded from an activity because it's inappropriate (an R-rated movie, a bar) and (b) being excluded from an activity because others have decided to stereotype them as all being loud, unruly brats.

I think it's a pretty big leap for a kid to go from, "Sorry buddy, that's a restaurant for grown-ups" to "Why do those grown-ups hate me so much they won't let me into that restaurant?"

Being restriced is part of a kid's life. You can't go to school till you're 6, you can't drive a car till you're 16, you can't vote till you're 18, you can't drink or smoke till you're 21. Parents often put their own restrictions on, as well, such as you can't cross the street on your own till you're 10, or you can't ride your bike to school till you're 12, or you can't date till you're 16.

So "you can't get into that restaurant till you're 16" isn't a terribly traumatic experience for a kid. In fact, it becomes one of those wonderful milestones in a kid's life that marks the passage from childhood to adulthood.

Just out of curiosity, perge33, are you against adults-only restaurants everywhere, or just against them at WDW?

Is there a restaurant anywhere in the US that does not allow children? I think it would be weird to have an adult only restaurant anywhere, especially WDW! Kids can't learn how to act "right" in a nice restaurant w/o going into them. I think WDW is a great place for kids to learn how to eat at nice restaurants w/o the added pressure of the real world. :goodvibes

twotoohappy said:
I totally agree and that's why it's not as much fun there (imho). (and I'm a single mom, but going out with adults, should just be adults) Walking around with your drinks and having kids everywhere just doesn't work for me.

Thank goodness that Jellyrolls is still "Adults Only".

I totally agree with this! I get really upset when I see a couple with their drinks and cigarettes pushing a stroller or holding a toddler- it is just wrong.

Unless I"m wrong, Shula's and Victoria and Albert's are adults only. And Bistro de Paris and I *think* Jiko don't have children's menus, although an occasional child has eaten there.

I would also like another adults only restaurant- maybe somewhere in DTD or the Boardwalk?

WillCAD said:
I think it's a pretty big leap for a kid to go from, "Sorry buddy, that's a restaurant for grown-ups" to "Why do those grown-ups hate me so much they won't let me into that restaurant?"

Being restriced is part of a kid's life. You can't go to school till you're 6, you can't drive a car till you're 16, you can't vote till you're 18, you can't drink or smoke till you're 21. Parents often put their own restrictions on, as well, such as you can't cross the street on your own till you're 10, or you can't ride your bike to school till you're 12, or you can't date till you're 16.

So "you can't get into that restaurant till you're 16" isn't a terribly traumatic experience for a kid. In fact, it becomes one of those wonderful milestones in a kid's life that marks the passage from childhood to adulthood.

You have said it so well, WillCAD!!!!:goodvibes

It's a limit and a boundary being set with children - a critical ingredient missing in lots of parents today!!! ITA!!!

LuluLovesDisney said:
Unless I"m wrong, Shula's and Victoria and Albert's are adults only. And Bistro de Paris and I *think* Jiko don't have children's menus, although an occasional child has eaten there.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Both restaurants allow children. However, both places encourage you not to bring them. Both are very expensive with no children's menu. V&A's is a very long dining experience. Shulas provides free childcare. Neither is the best choice for a child, but you will not be turned away if you arrive with your toddler.

cstraub: You have a very good point. But, I think there are plenty of restaurants in WDW that encourage parents to bring their children: California Grill, Jikos, Citricos, YSH, Flying Fish, Artists Point, Blue Zoo, etc. And my DD has been to all of them!

perge33 said:
I just know my kids would be a bit sad if they were to read that a bunch of folks at Disney-- DISNEY!!-- want them kept out of California Grill or Jiko (or even segregated into a special section) for no reason other than their age, and I wouldn't blame them a bit.
You know what - as a parent, you are going to have to have that conversation a lot. Some thing are for grownups. Your kids aren't always going to like it, but that's just the way the world is.

When it comes to Disney, however, I bet you aren't giving your kids enough credit. I bet they perfectly understand that some places are set up for grownups, and some for children. They wouldn't want us in the Neverland Club, would they?

And what we are takling about here are fancy restaurants where kids would be forecd to absolutely behave. Personally, my guess is 99.9% of kids would *want* to be exlcuded from such places. It's usually the parents who want to go without paying for a sitter that object.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter