Adult children moving back home with their child

A family member "offered" to move back home, and bring his girl friend. They acted like they were doing the parents (late 60-ish) a favor. This same couple had already stolen the mom's I.D. and helped themselves to the parents' investment account -- over $12,000. The son sells recreational drugs for a living and wouldn't think twice about doing drugs out of the parents' home. His driver's license was revoked because he didn't pay child support and the state won't allow him to get a new license til he pays long-overdue support. (Kids are grown now and don't want anything to do with him.) If the derelict son moved home he'd happily help himself to his parents' cars.

Um no, that just isn't gonna happen.
That is clearly a very different situation that a fully functioning and contributing adult moving back in. An adult that plans to be a contributing member of the family of very different than a free loader

That is clearly a very different situation that a fully functioning and contributing adult moving back in. An adult that plans to be a contributing member of the family of very different than a free loader

Yep. I was just trying to point out that it isn't a one-size-fits-all situation. When multi-generation families help each other, and enjoy each other's company, more power to them.

A family member "offered" to move back home, and bring his girl friend. They acted like they were doing the parents (late 60-ish) a favor. This same couple had already stolen the mom's I.D. and helped themselves to the parents' investment account -- over $12,000. The son sells recreational drugs for a living and wouldn't think twice about doing drugs out of the parents' home. His driver's license was revoked because he didn't pay child support and the state won't allow him to get a new license til he pays long-overdue support. (Kids are grown now and don't want anything to do with him.) If the derelict son moved home he'd happily help himself to his parents' cars.

Um no, that just isn't gonna happen.
If you raised kids that would do something like this... then yeah you probably shouldn't let your kids move back home.

I do struggle to understand why our culture has put such a negative spin on it when in some cultures it’s the norm. What makes some folks think our way is THE way? Any other way is wrong?
What's made America great is a strong working middle class that could support themselves. That middle class is being squeezed like never before. If this continues we will be a country of have's and have not's. Families living together will become more of the norm like it is in many third-world countries.
It's unfortunate for the young adults that want the American dream of house ownership, a car, and independence. Not everyone can go to college and come out on the other side with a six-figure job.

What's made America great is a strong working middle class that could support themselves. That middle class is being squeezed like never before. If this continues we will be a country of have's and have not's. Families living together will become more of the norm like it is in many third-world countries.
It's unfortunate for the young adults that want the American dream of house ownership, a car, and independence. Not everyone can go to college and come out on the other side with a six-figure job.
I don‘t argue that America is great. It is that. I do question that our way is better. And certainly not the only way. That is all.

It's not just third world countries where multi generational households are common.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter