• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adult children moving back home with their child

smilie

I've been unwonked!
Just wanting to know other peoples' experience. If your adult child has moved back home with their kid.
How much did you do for them? Did you find yourself doing more than you should or being asked to do more simply because they live with you? Like always asking you to babysit, pick up/drop off at daycare. Expecting you to keep an eye on them when they are lazy!!!

Well, I don't have any kids adult or otherwise, but I did grow up in a house where my mom, after her divorce, moved back in with her parents with her two kids, so I lived with my grandparents. My mom had to work a lot as a waitress, but my grandmother stayed home and watched us. My grandfather worked as well, but more regular hours. There were times when I didn't see my mom a lot. Once I was in school (I was the youngest), my grandmother ocassionally took jobs, but with limited hours. As far as I could tell, it wasn't about expectations, but rather just everyone doing what they had to do. I know it was tough to make ends meet sometimes. Eventually, my mom moved into management and better jobs from there, and got her own house with us.

Side note - I actually live in that same house that my grandparents owned. I bought it back after college and am very happy there, just as I was when I was a kid!

Last edited:
DD and her kids moved in with us for about a year while she was going through a divorce. It was the best option for DD and our DGDs, we were happy to have them, and fortunately there are enough bedrooms for everyone here.

We did whatever we needed to do to accommodate them which included food, transportation and general "looking after." DW worked from home and I was retired so our schedules had the flexibility to help with whatever they needed.

Before committing to such arrangement a discussion should occur about expectations on both sides things like privacy, childcare, financial responsibilities and/or contributions, etc. A lot of times these arrangements begin as pre-assumed things either from past behaviors/relationships or just what one person thinks the arrangement should be like.

If you're already starting in on claiming someone is lazy in terms of responsibilities that leads me to believe that a discussion didn't occur and/or an incompatible living arrangement which may or may not be the fault of the adult child. Sometimes someone's lazy is another person's "I'm doing my best, but I'm overwhelmed and could use some help/a break" and sometimes someone's lazy is "I don't want these obligations right now".

Just wanting to know other peoples' experience. If your adult child has moved back home with their kid.
How much did you do for them? Did you find yourself doing more than you should or being asked to do more simply because they live with you? Like always asking you to babysit, pick up/drop off at daycare. Expecting you to keep an eye on them when they are lazy!!!

My adult daughter moved in with her newborn for about 18 months, while her spouse was deployed. We treated her like a tenant; she contributed $300 to pay for her part of the electric/water/internet and meals they had with the family. She shared a bathroom with DS, and they had to keep it clean. She helped with the housework, but I didn't expect her to clean up after everyone, just the kitchen once or twice a week, or cooking at the same rate. She was expected to clean up after her, her son, and her dogs.

I did do a bit of babysititng; I watched him twice so she could go overseas and see her spouse, etc. I would watch him so she could run to the store, etc. So, in that way, yeah, I did more than I would have, in that respect; and helping her learn how to parent was more hands on than it was with my other daughter when she had her sons.

We had to set some boundaries, becuase she would have run all over us had we let her; that's her basic personality though.

DD, SIL, and his 5yo son moved in with us in March. We have a very large house and until they joined us it was just DH and me here. They have 2 bedrooms, their own bathroom, and their own living room. We share the kitchen, dining room, laundry area, and workout area in the basement (it's NOT fancy, it's an elliptical, treadmill, and exercise bike in what is basically a storage room). DD went to grad school last fall and although she has an assistantship, it doesn't provide a very large stipend. SIL has a full-time job with good benefits but not such terrific pay, and there are enormous medical bills and legal bills that he has to deal with, so they were really strapped financially. The 5yo is adorable and smart but he has some issues that effect his behavior, which is sometimes a challenge. For the most part, it's been a good arrangement. DH and I are currently paying for everything but their food, but really the only thing that's gone up is the electric bill, and they have offered to kick in some money on that (but we are OK right now, we know how strapped they are and DD won't have a summer stipend, so...). We are 4 adults sharing 3 vehicles, and whomever is driving when a car needs gas is responsible for putting some gas in the tank. Doesn't have to be full, but NOBODY wants to have to stop on the way to work in the morning or be stranded! ANYHOW... they are responsible for cleaning their own rooms and are pretty good about that. We have some kitchen issues, mostly around how dishes are done (and some of that is squarely on me) but we are working this out. They had to learn that when we say something, we are not being mean, critical, or bossy, and we had to learn that they live with different standards than we do. We have come to an agreement and the kitchen is cleaned every night, and really it is working out with minimal grumbling. As far as babysitting, they always ask if we mind if they go out, and it's always after The Boy is in bed; usually they walk into town for a beer or two, we work at home in the evenings anyhow, The Boy NEVER wakes up, and everything in town closes by 11pm, so it's a pretty controlled situation. DD and SIL have only been married since October. We are happy to be able to do this for them as they are still learning to be a couple together, to be newly-weds, to grow together. That's hard with a 5 year old in the picture, and SIL is a pretty good father. We help with after school pick up as the 5yo is no longer welcomed in aftercare, and we all have a vested interest in SIL being able to keep his job. Usually I do one day (today, as a matter of fact), DH does one day, SIL works from home on Wednesdays, and DD or SIL's parents juggle the other two days. It helps that DH and I both work in academia and can be fairly flexible with our schedules, especially now that it's summer. Pick up is by 3pm and SIL is home by 5pm, so it's not bad. The Boy is pretty self-entertaining and loves to play in the backyard now that it's nice out. I usually sit on the deck and keep an eye on him while grading or something, or we'll go grocery shopping or to the park, etc. Once again, not too stressful, and never expected; SIL checks every week to see if we are available, and on what day(s) and if necessary, he'll take a couple of hours of PTO to do the after school care. Regarding food, we mostly buy our groceries separately (they have peanut allergies, egg allergies, dairy intolerance, etc to deal with), but we share leftovers most of the time. If one of us is making something "special" we'll invite the others; we usually end up sharing meals maybe twice a week. The Boy eats by 6 and is in bed by 7-ish, after which the adults cook/eat, so he often has "Monday leftovers" for dinner on Tuesday, for example, which minimizes the kitchen mess and makes it easier on whomever is doing his meal prep.

Overall... we are thrilled to have them with us! My DD is the person in the world to whom I am closest, and I love that she's down the hall instead of a 6 hour drive away. We've known SIL for 8 years, back since the two of them platonically shared an apartment for senior year of college. It's a 2nd marriage for both, each of them having had terrible experiences the first time around. We want them to finish their educations so they can have careers that pay well, not just hourly jobs with questionable wages, so they can eventually buy their own home, raise a family, and have an easier life than they've had so far.

My son and DIL moved in with her parents 11 months ago with one child, and their second was born 3 months ago. It seems to be going okay, and they did FINALLY buy their own house and will be moving out next month after having work done on the new house. In their case, they moved from one city, sold their house, and moved to a major city where they had to spend more than double for a similar house. So the nearly year helped them save....fortunately they both have high paying jobs.
My neighbor's daughter and son in law moved in and stayed 2 years, no kids when they moved in, 2 kids when they moved out into an apartment. I guess they finally decided things were getting awkward. They were actively shopping for a house the entire 2 years, but the son in law is from another country and he just did not grasp how wild the housing market is here. They would look at a house, he would want to wait a couple of weeks to decide if to make an offer, and of course the house had sold hours after it had listed.

I am a child who moved back in with my parents with 2 kids, DH and a dog. We sold our house faster than anticipated and it was only supposed to be for two weeks. Major foundation issues discovered at inspection made us start the house hunt again. We were there for 4 long months.

We paid $250/month towards utilities and alternated cooking dinner for all 6 of us every night, unless my parents had plans--they are pretty social and have hobbies that take them out of state frequently. My parents did end up watching the kids more than normal. My mom would offer to watch the older one when we went to look at houses or my stepdad would ask him to run errands to the post office, grocery store or hardware store. I cleaned on Wednesdays and did our laundry on Friday mornings.

My dad was in the Navy when I was born, so my mom and I lived with her parents for 9 months or so at a time while he was out to sea. My uncle was also there as a young adult who hadn't left the nest. We just, IDK, lived like a family. Grandma was a housewife all of her life, and she cleaned the house top to bottom daily and made three meals a day from scratch whether anyone was there or not. In fact, there's a story that years before that, someone talked her into hiring a housekeeper once. She scrubbed the entire house before the lady got there, made tea, and entertained her for the hour that was supposed to be the cleaning!

Grandma babysat me while Mom worked. When she needed to do errands, I went with her. Sometimes we went to the park or out for ice cream. My uncle took me places now and then (including to a midnight showing of Rocky Horror when I was 3 or 4 lol...one time he also rented all the Rambo/First Blood movies and we watched them together over a weekend). Mom and Grandpa got home from work about the same time every day and we'd have dinner all together, then Mom and I would have quality time. On the weekends, Mom and Grandma and I would often do stuff together. Or sometimes just Mom and me, or sometimes everyone in the house. Mom also tried to do some cleaning and cooking, but Grandma didn't let her too often. It was just her thing, dating back to when she was orphaned at 17 and left to raise a houseful of younger brothers and sisters.

I've had similar experiences when my aunt and uncle on the other side moved in with me and my parents a few years later, when my then-husband and I lived with my parents, and now that my dad and I share a house. We've always just lived. Mom didn't pay rent when we were with her parents (she offered), but the mortgage was long since paid off and my grandparents wanted us to save the money for when Dad got out of the Navy and we needed a house. My aunt and uncle paid half the rent when they moved in, since it was a rental. My husband and I paid rent, since my parents had a hefty mortgage. Today Dad and I split the rent on our house. But other than rent, there really haven't been any situations that needed particular negotiating (other than my uncle's cat nearly scratching my eye out and my mom telling him he better find it a new home before we got home from the ER). We've always just all pitched in and did whatever needed to be done.

Maybe I'm lucky. Maybe things are different if one of the parties is known to be lazy.

Before committing to such arrangement a discussion should occur about expectations on both sides things like privacy, childcare, financial responsibilities and/or contributions, etc. A lot of times these arrangements begin as pre-assumed things either from past behaviors/relationships or just what one person thinks the arrangement should be like.

THIS.

i was the late in life child for my parents-much younger than my siblings. as a result i experienced over the years instances of my adult siblings moving back into my parent's home due to divorce and/or job issues. as a a child i overheard my parents complaints (when whichever sib living in the home was not present), as an adult still living with my by then widowed mom i was privy to complaints on both sides. that said-rules and expectations need to be stated on both sides and agreed to/enforced. it's not like living at home as a dependent child, it's not like staying over for a visit-it's co-habitation and for everyone's sake it's better to have everything spelled out (literally-on paper/signed) b/c it can go south BAD (as in having an adult child manipulate the legal system to use tenant rights laws to not leave when you've never taken a cent in rent).

We moved in with my parents for a few months between selling and buying houses including an interstate move for a new job. It was me, DH and DD was 3-4 at the time. I wrote a check to mom every month equal to what I would have paid on our mortgage and offered more if needed for utilities; I also shared the grocery expenses. She did most of the grocery shopping and meal planning but I helped mostly on weekends to give her a break. I did our laundry, though mom often asked if we had anything to toss in with a load she was doing. I worked from "home" all day, DH went out for work, DD was in daycare. DH and I did most of the drop-off/pick-up but on occasion I asked my parents if they could pick her up. We helped with housework and yard work, I made sure our "stuff" didn't end up cluttering the house. We parented as we would in our own home, though Dad definitely enjoyed spending the extra time with his granddaughter (Mom too, but having been busy with his work/life/responsibilities when we were young kids Dad really got to spend some quality time with her).

I agree it's best to plan things out in advance, and don't hesitate to meet again after a few days/weeks to discuss if those early plans need to adjust -- something isn't working as well as expected, something wasn't considered in that early plan, etc.

don't hesitate to meet again after a few days/weeks to discuss if those early plans need to adjust -- something isn't working as well as expected, something wasn't considered in that early plan, etc.
That's a good point too.

And meeting if things significantly change in someone's life like a specific job with different hours or health of someone is affected, a child moving to a new school where there's different hours, etc. Those can alter what used to be a working situation.

Boundaries and clear expectations are everything, and try to remember that they work both ways. I moved back in with my mother for a few months when I left my DS's father, just long enough to save up a deposit for a place of my own, and the problem I had wasn't me wanting her to do more but rather her jumping in any time she thought I didn't respond to DS fast enough or wasn't doing something "right" (by her standards as someone who had babies in the late 70s/early 80s, and who didn't believe single mothers should date). We'd sat down to hash out financial and household expectations but not the parenting/emotional stuff, and that caused a lot of issues

I have two out three of my adult kids living at home with us. They are 23 and 26 and both working and saving. We love having them and are using this time to enjoy them as much as possible. They pay for their own things as well as cars, Car insurance and phones. We still buy food and pay household bills. We will do anything we can to help Insure them a great start in their adult lives. Luckily, neither has student loans to worry about. My oldest has been saving diligently for a house and has begun slowly looking. Hoping things level out before she takes the actual leap.

Both dh and I are looking upon this as a bonus in our lives because we know it will be short lived and we will miss these days.

I have two out three of my adult kids living at home with us. They are 23 and 26 and both working and saving. We love having them and are using this time to enjoy them as much as possible. They pay for their own things as well as cars, Car insurance and phones. We still buy food and pay household bills. We will do anything we can to help Insure them a great start in their adult lives. Luckily, neither has student loans to worry about. My oldest has been saving diligently for a house and has begun slowly looking. Hoping things level out before she takes the actual leap.

Both dh and I are looking upon this as a bonus in our lives because we know it will be short lived and we will miss these days.
I would feel the same way as you do. I have told both of my girls after they finish college if they want to move back home my door is always open. My house is paid off so they would not have any bills. They can save for a house or whatever their goals are. They are the little ve of my life.

Like many others here our kids were welcome back for a year or two after college with no rent, but the expectation that they'd be paying their own personal expenses (tech, transportation, clothes, etc.) Our oldest had a job right away in the same city as his college and never came home. Younger son was home for a little over a year while hunting for a job in his field and getting set up to move. He ended up really pitching in to help with elderly grandparents etc. and totally "earned his keep." We ended up getting some free streaming like Netflix etc. because he had them on our tvs. (and we still have his passwords years later so we made bank on that!) We also did a long road trip that year while he was there to take care of the dog, the house, and emergencies with his grandparents. I think finding ways to make it truly mutually beneficial really helped on both sides. Taking some time to find the right job was hard on his ego, so it was good for him to be needed. We were happy for him to move on, but really selfishly wish he was still here!

I've got one DD still at home (she's not leaving - this house will become hers when I retire) and another that I would love to have back home, with her wife. But they are settled half way across the country, and hoping to adopt out of the foster system there before they move back here. They'd want their own place, but close enough so the kids could come here after school, etc. I'd love that, but sadly they had 3 children for almost an entire year and then the state moved them to a kinship home. But I would take them all in at the drop of a hat!

We are probably going to be in this situation when my son's apartment lease is up. We have a great relationship with DS (26) and DIL. And we adore our DGD who is 2 and a half.

We have a bedroom/bathroom upstairs that is quite separate from the rest of the house, so that makes it nice. They stayed with us for a few months at the beginning of Covid, and it worked fine. I will agree with others that boundaries are the key. DW and I work from home so we had tb be clear that during work hours we were at work, and not available for babysitting, etc. They will contribute monthly toward bills and food. They will be doing their own laundry and cleaning, DW does not suddenly become "mommy" again where she does everything for him :) Honestly the person I have to watch on that is DW. Like most moms, her instinct is to want to mother her little boy even though he's all grown up, and she loves taking care of the little one. And they are happy to let her.

And while we are not telling them how to spend their money, we do expect them to be aggressively working and saving, which is why they are moving in. Very easy for young people to suddenly feel rich when their bills drop significantly, and decide to live it up instead of save. And any babysitting will need to be arranged ahead of time around our schedule. And I will be working with them to come up with a plan of how much they need to save to reach their goals in 12-18 months max.

The best description I've heard on this when adult kids live with you is: "You want your house to be a safety net for them, not a hammock"

Like most moms, her instinct is to want to mother her little boy even though he's all grown up
IDK maybe mom doesn't become mommy again but looking at these below comments it def sounds like parents trying to parent again.
And while we are not telling them how to spend their money, we do expect them to be aggressively working and saving, which is why they are moving in. Very easy for young people to suddenly feel rich when their bills drop significantly, and decide to live it up instead of save.

And I will be working with them to come up with a plan of how much they need to save to reach their goals in 12-18 months max.

I have a financial planner to help guide me for these decisions. I'd be suggesting to them to get a financial planner and keep the return to parenting on held back. A financial planner is impartial to the client.

Right after my husband and I got married we worked with a financial planner (we still have one) who helped us not only get higher value ($500K) life insurance policies on ourselves but also help us work on a plan for our goals. At that time our goal was to get a house so he helped us go over how to get there including reviewing how much we were paying in rent vs getting to a 20% down payment weighing pros and cons and looking at our 401Ks, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter